It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Kremlin Watch  (Read 14475 times)

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Kremlin Watch
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2016, 09:23:25 PM »
ML, first of all you shouldn't complain about spelling, considering the mess that English makes of it:

Totally irrelevant.  We are discussing a case where a name is being translated from a native language spelling into English for international purposes.  The goal should be to help that person as they interact with persons in other countries, and particularly in English speaking countries who will pronounce the name in a standard manner.

In USA, we have the name Irene which is pronounced with a long I.

So it is quite cruel to spell a woman's name as Irina in her passport when she will have a lifetime of telling people her name is pronounced as EEreena.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline ML

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2016, 09:27:19 PM »
Correct, but the Slavs are using capital Greek - not Latin - letters  ;).

Yes, Greek in their language, but I was specifically addressing the issue of how these Greek letters are translated into Latin letters for English spelling.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2016, 03:24:04 AM »
The Mendeleyev Journal:

In answering the question of who is Russia's number 2 leader, up to last year most Kremlin watchers would have suggested it to be prime minister Dmitry Medvedev. The two have been close confidants and friends for decades.

It was Medvedev who maintained wireless communications when Mr. Putin rode an underwater submersible in August to explore a shipwreck in Crimean waters. But the Putin tour also included someone who usually remains in the shadows--security chief Sergei Ivanov, Russia's chief of the presidential administration.

Sergei Ivanov Kremlin.png height=319

(Sergei Ivanov at a Security Council meeting.)

Kremlin watchers understand that Putin and Ivanov, like Putin and Medvedev, share a long history. Ivanov and Putin came from the foreign services of the KGB, and Putin appointed Ivanov as his deputy in 1998 after then-president Boris Yeltsin had named Putin to head the FSB, the new name for the KGB. They have been together ever since.

Since last August, Ivanov has been given a more visible role in the government. Not only do the security services answer to him, but he has begun to represent the government at public events and in official meetings with foreign leaders. Last Wednesday, former United States Secretary of State Henry Kissinger traveled to Moscow. Kissinger is a long time friend of Vladimir Putin and the two met that afternoon at the presidential residence outside Moscow. Kissinger had come to Moscow as a guest for the opening of the Primakov Center for Foreign Policy Cooperation. However, the official meeting between Kissinger and the government was with Sergei Ivanov.

Kissinger and Sergei Ivanov Moscow 4 Feb 2016 height=382

Last May, Russia Insider, a publication which attempts to appear independent, but is in fact owned, operated, and bankrolled by the Kremlin media structure (in this case RBTH), introduced Ivanov among several other new faces of Russian leadership. Then, in November 2015 the publication seemed to suggest that Ivanov, although not elected, holds the number two position in the Russian government.

Russia Insider led that edition with the headline: Key Interview Confirms Sergey Ivanov, Putin's Chief of Staff Is Russia's #2. The publication went on to say that the interview by the Russian news agency TASS (Kremlin controlled), was designed to "explain Ivanov’s role and to make him better known to the Russian public. No other Russian official apart from Putin himself talks in such a wide ranging way."

Some may ask if this is the security forces way of reigning in and keeping Mr. Putin in check? That is doubtful, as Ivanov is as much a hardliner, and perhaps even more than Putin. A very intriguing statement by Ivanov in the TASS interview was this one: "Don't think the Kremlin always decides everything, sometimes it doesn't."

Could it be a signal that Putin will retire, and forego another term? Again, we do not know, but it was interesting that a Kremlin controlled publication such as Russia Insider would dare to write "if Putin does decide to go, then Ivanov looks like an obvious potential successor."

« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 03:27:32 AM by mendeleyev »
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline SANDRO43

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2016, 07:49:41 AM »
Totally irrelevant.
Beg to differ, you gave a demonstration below ;):
What you call "a long I" is actually 2 vowels, Ah and I (Irene: aɪˈriːnɪ according to The Free Dictionary):

So Irene should be written Ireen for consistency :D - sadly lacking in English spelling for vowels, as I showed in my link.
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2016, 04:39:51 PM »

Beg to differ, you gave a demonstration below ;):What you call "a long I" is actually 2 vowels, Ah and I (Irene: aɪˈriːnɪ according to The Free Dictionary):

So Irene should be written Ireen for consistency :D - sadly lacking in English spelling for vowels, as I showed in my link.

I would beg to differ even further - I don't know about local variants where you come from, ML, but most English speakers will pronounce this name as "eye-reen," not "ee-reen," and this is a diphthong rather than a long or a short I.

Offline SANDRO43

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2016, 05:06:29 PM »
 :offtopic:
AK, we see I2I on this subject ;D - or to , if you prefer 8).
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2016, 05:13:33 PM »
:offtopic:
AK, we see I2I on this subject ;D - or to , if you prefer 8).

:applause: :thumbsup: :toocool:

Offline ML

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2016, 08:00:59 PM »
I would beg to differ even further - I don't know about local variants where you come from, ML, but most English speakers will pronounce this name as "eye-reen," not "ee-reen," and this is a diphthong rather than a long or a short I.

You totally missed the boat here.

Yes, English folks will call the FSU gals  Eye-reena.

But those gals will tell you to say EE reena

Offline msmobyone

• patriotism is the last vestige of fools, but hey
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2016, 12:41:45 AM »

Could it be a signal that Putin will retire, and forego another term? Again, we do not know, but it was interesting that a Kremlin controlled publication such as Russia Insider

I can think of someone we both know - who bristles at us pointing out the 'true info' about that media source ;D ...

If Putin does decide to go, then Ivanov looks like an obvious potential successor."

Oh 'great' ... I thought he'd be no.2 before ...but I guess the cover up about his son's collision with an elderly lady - who died - was too fresh

Please excuse the Curmudgeon in my posts ..he will be cured by being reunited with his loved one ;)

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2016, 01:50:01 AM »
I agree on both statements Moby. By the way, it is nice to see a post that is about the topic of this thread!
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2016, 04:24:46 PM »
You totally missed the boat here.

Yes, English folks will call the FSU gals  Eye-reena.

But those gals will tell you to say EE reena

ML, you specifically wrote "Irene," not "Irena."  That is what I was responding to.  I'm fully aware of how to pronounce Irena (or Irina).

Offline ML

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2016, 05:34:02 PM »
ML, you specifically wrote "Irene," not "Irena."  That is what I was responding to.  I'm fully aware of how to pronounce Irena (or Irina).

I think we both have too many women on our plate.

I have lost track of which argument I made and which you made and which we are supposed to proceed with.

How about a 'stale mate?'

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2016, 05:09:53 PM »
How about a 'stale mate?'

I would be quite happy with any real mate!

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540999
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1900
Total: 1911

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM