It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Meeting a young girl in Odessa  (Read 9462 times)

Offline Larry1

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Meeting a young girl in Odessa
« on: April 01, 2015, 09:17:10 AM »
Last month I flew to Odessa to meet Svetlana, a girl I had been talking to for several weeks. She is 21, which caused me some concern because she is considerably younger than I am. I flew into Kiev's Borispol airport, changed a little money there, then had lunch. I had a long layover until my flight to Odessa so I did some people watching at the airport. Finally my flight time arrived. I carried my luggage to the other terminal and boarded the plane for Odessa. In less than an hour we touched down. I quickly found my checked bag and went through to see Svetlana waiting for me. She looked even prettier in person than she did on skype. She is 5'10" tall (1.78 for the metric folks), slender, with long blond hair. Along with her was Boris, a driver that Lana arranged for us. Boris was a tall, nice-looking guy in his twenties. He charged $175/day to drive us around in his Mercedes.

In fact, Lana arranged my entire trip. We went straight away to an apartment that she arranged for me to rent, near Sobornaya Square in Odessa's city center. It was a large newly remodeled unit with a small kitchenette. I brushed my teeth and we immediately went out to have a late dinner.

After our return I was fairly tired and jet lagged but I gave Lana a present I had brought from America, a Tiffany diamond necklace. She loved it and gave me a hug. Since I was tired I soon went to bed and Boris took Lana home. She lives with her mother.

The next day Boris and Lana, along with Lana's friend Natalia, picked me up and we went to breakfast. Natalia is an interpreter. Lana speaks some English but she told me that she preferred to have Natalia interpret for us so that we would have no difficulties communicating. Lana has obviously put a lot of thought into our relationship. Natalia charged only $25/hour for her services.

Lana thought I might like to see a Ukrainian shopping mall so Boris drove us to one. There were so many beautiful girls there. I had trouble keeping from staring at some of them. As we walked past a dress shop Lana asked if I minded going in because she noticed a pretty dress in the shop window.  She found it in her size and tried it on. She looked great in it. She looked intently at the price tag and went to put it back on the shelf, apparently because it was too expensive. Her salary at the pencil factory doesn't allow for a lot of luxuries. I told her that I would be happy to buy it for her. She smiled and hugged me and said thank you so much. I speak very little Russian but understood spacibo bolshoi even before Natalia interpreted it.

Lana took care of everything, making sure that my trip went well. When we were carrying our boxes back to the car Boris turned his head to stare at two gorgeous girls walking by. Lana snapped at him in Russian, apparently telling him to get his mind on business and open the trunk of the car so that we could place our boxes there.

We took a tour of Odessa's city center, including the famous steps leading down to the waterfront. I recognized them from the Eisenstein film "Battleship Potemkin". Odessa is a beautiful city. I would like to come back in the Spring or Summer.

For dinner that night the three of us went to a nice restaurant.  I ordered vareniki and the girls ordered fish dishes and we had a bottle of Hungarian wine, a Badascony white. I was kind of surprised that the bill was over $300.

After dinner we returned to my apartment, where we had a glass of brandy and then the girls left.

The next day Lana took me to her apartment, where she has lived her entire life. She opened her jewelry box and showed me her dead grandmother's watch. It was clear that it had great sentimental value to Lana. I noticed that it wasn't running. I asked her about that and she replied that it had stopped running last year. She took it to a watch repair shop and they told her it would cost about $150, which was more than she could afford. I told her that I would be happy to pay to have it repaired and that we could go to the shop now. She gave me a big smile and told me that she would be so happy to have her granny's watch running again, but she would take it to the shop after I left.  So I gave her the cash to have it repaired.

That night after dinner Natalia left us and we returned to my apartment. We began to kiss and things became passionate. After a time Lana told me that we couldn't have sex because it was the wrong time of the month for her. I thought to myself ok, I can wait five days or so. We talked about the substantial difference in our ages. I am four years older than Lana's mother. I asked her if the age difference bothered her. She replied no, that when two people care for each other age doesn't mean anything.

The next day it was very cold. I noticed that Lana was shivering in her threadbare coat. I remembered seeing a shop with long goosedown coats in the mall we went to earlier in the week. I figured they would keep her warm in the worst of Odessa's Winters. I told her that I was going to buy her a coat and suggested that we go to the mall. She thanked me and told me that the warmest coats would be fur. She had heard of a place which sold fur coats. I'm sure that she had never been there before because her job at the pencil factory would never allow her to purchase a fur coat.

Boris drove us there and Lana must have tried on a hundred different coats, of various types of fur and various colors. Finally I could tell that she particularly liked one of them, a full-length sable coat. I asked her about it and she shyly nodded her head, but told me, "but it is too expensive". I have read on the forum that FSUW do not like greedy men, so I told her that I would be happy to buy it for her. When I told her this her face lit up with a smile and she practically jumped into my arms and gave me a big hug. Sometimes she can be very affectionate, but other times not at all. The coat cost thousands of dollars. I put it on a credit card and we left the store. It occurred to me that I had never paid that much for any purchase other than a house or car. I suggested that she wear it that day because it was so cold but she preferred to take it home in the box, saying that she would save it to wear for special occasions.

It was nearing the end of my trip and to be honest after spending all this time in close proximity to Lana I felt such intense desire to have sex with her. On my last night we made out for a long time, until she told me that it was still that time of the month with her. I don't know much about such things but I didn't think they lasted that long.

The next day Boris drove us to the airport. It was sad leaving Lana. We had talked about my return visit but made no concrete plans. One thing is for sure: on my next visit I would plan it around her period.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 10:36:00 AM by Larry1 »

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Meeting a young girl in Odessa
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 09:47:46 AM »
Finally an interesting and truthful trip report.

But I think you were a bit on the stingy side.

Loosen up the purse strings next time.

Sometimes those periods can last all month; in other cases they can have multiple periods within one month.

You have heard of multiples, right?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 09:55:09 AM by ML »
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Larry1

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 10:10:27 AM »
But I think you were a bit on the stingy side.

Loosen up the purse strings next time.

Here I was thinking it was too much.

Sometimes those periods can last all month; in other cases they can have multiple periods within one month.

You have heard of multiples, right?

I hadn't heard of that. I've lead a fairly sheltered life.

Online Hammer2722

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 11:11:33 AM »
Wow! looks like you have a real keeper there Larry!!! When is the wedding? What, no expensive engagement ring?????
every ship can be a minesweeper at least once...

Offline jone

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 11:14:00 AM »
I was thinking after I read your trip report. 

Is it possible that Lana might have a relationship with Boris and that is the reason she was using him to drive the Taxi around all day?

I mean, he could have been her brother.  That would account for her dressing him down about looking at women.  Sisters always are critical of brothers.

If he was her brother, it would make total sense.  That way you would be helping her family and they would be very warm to you in the future when you asked Lana to marry you.

Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 11:50:44 AM »
The next day Boris drove us to the airport. It was sad leaving Lana. We had talked about my return visit but made no concrete plans. One thing is for sure: on my next visit I would plan it around her period.

Looks like one of my legs is longer than the other, I wonder if somebody pulled it?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 12:00:57 PM by 2tallbill »
FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline Bee Farmer

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 11:58:13 AM »
So how long before Larry says, "April Fools."  I smell a rat.

I visited Odessa in Oct. 2013 and stayed in an apartment on Sobornaya Square right across from the church.  I paid $45 per day for the apartment.  My interpreter charged $15 an hour, or a max. total of $50 USD per day.  I think the most I paid for a meal was $20 or $25 at Buffalo 99.  The longest taxi ride was to the airport, and I don't even think it was $10.  Most of the time I walked everywhere.  I did do a bus ride trip to visit the catacombs, but that was in a tour package.

I suspect prices are even lower now, with the stronger USD and the complete collapse of tourism.

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 12:03:47 PM »
Wow! looks like you have a real keeper there Larry!!! When is the wedding? What, no expensive engagement ring?????

I think the wisest thing would be to send her several thousand dollars by Western
Union so she can pick one out.
FSUW don't do vague

Offline Seekrr15

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 12:40:12 PM »
Whew, I was beginning to root for Odessa-bound Larry, then reading further and sensing a fool, then checking my calendar and realizing who'd been fooled. Happy 4/1 !!   :cluebat:

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
Discussion of Red Days
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 12:40:24 PM »
I always check out when the red days are due and schedule my flight for
sometime just after they will be done. I've never met an FSUW who wouldn't
discuss this. I know there are those among us who are too uptight to broach
such subjects but in my experience there isn't a single FSUW who won't talk
about it or any other subject for that matter after she gets to know you.

I don't recommend the subject for the first skype chat but I would certainly
bring it up before getting on a plane for a visit one trip.
FSUW don't do vague

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 01:34:41 PM »
A woman taking birth control pills can stop menstruation.  Not every woman has regular menstrual cycles.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 01:43:03 PM »
A woman taking birth control pills can stop menstruation.  Not every woman has regular menstrual cycles.

The only way to know any of this is to ask questions. I've heard about the stopping
menstruation before, but haven't dated a girl on the pill since the 1980's
FSUW don't do vague

Offline Larry1

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 01:44:12 PM »
You folks spotted the April Fool's Joke. None of the events in this story actually happened.  Well, except that I have visited Odessa, toured the city center and stayed in an apartment off Sobornaya Square.

One of the reasons that I set this story in Odessa is that the city is known for its humor and celebrates April Fools Day:

April Fools’ Day has become the day that Odessa — a city weighed down by history — celebrates its tradition of wry humor and charming scoundrels. The practice began 40 years ago under the wary eye of the Soviet authorities. It has been marked by such episodes as a taxi driver who drove his rickety sedan all the way down the 400-foot staircase that is the city’s most recognizable symbol, where he was greeted by a complement of militiamen.

Tourists poured into Odessa on Monday for the festival, called Humorina. Men in bowler hats played Dixieland jazz, and boys circulated through the crowd carrying enormous hawks available for posed photographs. There were characters out of the stories of Isaac Babel, whose Jewish gangster courted his wife in an orange suit and diamond bracelet. There were games of chance everywhere: the “drunken bicycle,” “railway roulette” and the “bottle trick,” in which the customer tries (and inevitably fails) to set a bottle upright using a loop on a string.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/02/world/europe/odessa-celebrates-april-fools-day.html

Offline Larry1

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 01:59:58 PM »
I was thinking after I read your trip report. 

Is it possible that Lana might have a relationship with Boris and that is the reason she was using him to drive the Taxi around all day?

I mean, he could have been her brother.  That would account for her dressing him down about looking at women.  Sisters always are critical of brothers.

My intention was to create a scenario in which readers might guess that Boris might be Lana's boyfriend, making a bunch of money from my visit. That's why she was upset with him for oggling girls.

And, as Bee Farmer noted, $25/hour is much above the going rate for terps and dinners typically cost MUCH less than $300. There were a few other details I put in the story to suggest that Lana was a pro dater. Does anyone care to mention a few of those?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 02:09:57 PM by Larry1 »

Offline alex330

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 02:09:49 PM »
I have doubts she was a pro. A true pro would have asked for boots to go alongside that coat.

Good story Larry   :D

No sushi dinners? Had you not visited her apartment I am sure she would have lived far from town and asked for extra cab fare home. You should also have given her some money for English lessons Larry....

Offline Larry1

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2015, 02:14:26 PM »
I have doubts she was a pro. A true pro would have asked for boots to go alongside that coat.

Good point. ;D

Good story Larry   :D

Thanks

No sushi dinners? Had you not visited her apartment I am sure she would have lived far from town and asked for extra cab fare home. You should also have given her some money for English lessons Larry....

I thought about working taxi fare into the story but Boris was driving us every day.

Yes, money for English lessons would have been good.

Offline Anathema

• Banned Member
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2015, 03:09:03 PM »
Needs more "locked in my apartment".  ;D

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2015, 04:26:25 PM »
a pro dater. Does anyone care to mention a few of those?

1. She is 21,
2. He charged $175/day to drive us around in his Mercedes.
3. she arranged for me to rent (possible kickback/commission)
4. The next day Boris and Lana, along with Lana's friend Natalia (she brought a gang)
5. Lana speaks some English but she told me that she preferred to have Natalia (said no
legitimate girl ever)
6. Natalia charged only $25/hour for her services.
7. Ukrainian shopping mall/dress shop/pretty dress in the shop window.   
8. hugged me (no kisses)
9. Lana snapped at Boris her likely boyfriend
10. went to a nice restaurant. the bill was over $300. This would be a better clue if
Lana recommended it.
11. watch repair shop and they told her it would cost about $150
12. We began to kiss and things became passionate. After a time Lana told me that we couldn't have sex because it was the wrong time of the month for her.
13. shop with long goosedown coats in the mall we went to earlier in the week. a fur coat.
14. We had talked about my return visit but made no concrete plans.

I only found those 14 items that indicated a pro-dater however Larry set himself up for
many of them
FSUW don't do vague

Offline ML

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2015, 04:29:03 PM »
A woman taking birth control pills can stop menstruation. 

It is becoming more common to do so.

http://www.webmd.com/sex/birth-control/features/no-more-periods

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/birth-control/in-depth/womens-health/art-20044044

If you are going to be with a woman for a month or so, or forever, it's no big deal.

But think of guys and gals in military, for example, or other assignments where they spend months apart.

They get to fly home or meet somewhere for a week or maybe just a long weekend, and neither (typically) want to miss out on the ultimate intimacy.

Birth control pills are a perfect solution.

I have suggested this to several gals in the past.
Most all jumped at the chance to utilize the method.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2015, 08:08:28 PM »
Yes, ML.  Plus, this may come as a shock to some, but women actually are physically able to have sex when they are menstruating. :P
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline ML

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2015, 08:16:36 PM »
Yes, ML.  Plus, this may come as a shock to some, but women actually are physically able to have sex when they are menstruating. :P

But the man may not be physically able to ! :o

Offline Boethius

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2015, 08:18:52 PM »
Really?  What kind of nancy boy is that? 8)

Offline Larry1

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2015, 08:22:56 PM »

Absolutely true. My advice for this, to be on the safe side, is to put down more towels than you think you will need.

And I hope my much larger than normal tip for the maid at the Hyatt Hotel in New Orleans was adequate recompense.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 08:26:59 PM by Larry1 »

Offline LiveFromUkraine

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2015, 08:23:25 PM »

:ROFL:   Maybe a question the women should ask the men before they meet, eh?  haha

Offline ML

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2015, 08:25:34 PM »

Do you remember Frank from Everyone Loves Raymond?
He liked the 'Nancy' word.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541008
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1865
Total: 1876

+-Recent Posts

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM