It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: IM freaking out mannnn!!!  (Read 12454 times)

Offline Boogalter

• Opted-Out
Re: IM freaking out mannnn!!!
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2010, 10:58:36 PM »
They have a replica 1800's Ukrainian Village  in Alberta Canada. I thought it would so cruel if you brought a women from Russia/Ukraine and state this is our home.

I think much of the prep work can be done before hand.
Every major city has a Russian culture website and it is important that they go there for the forum to know which shampoo is closest to home, soap (she is not going to use your Irish Spring), Feminine Hygiene products and so on. Look in your city for a Doctor/Dentist that can speak her language.

Don't forget to go to Costco and buy 10 gallon jar of Mayonnaise.  :P
I was going to build bunk beds in the dog house when MIL arrives.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 11:05:15 PM by Boogalter »

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2010, 11:19:12 PM »
They have a replica 1800's Ukrainian Village  in Alberta Canada. I thought it would so cruel if you brought a women from Russia/Ukraine and state this is our home.

Actually, it's not a replica of a Ukrainian village.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2010, 05:12:17 AM »

Allowence? not sure about that 1 yet.
Taking time off from work to spend the first few days or maybe a week with her.

I didn't do the allowance thing either. I gave her a credit card and about $100 bucks cash sometime within the first week. Going forward I would periodically ask her how much cash she had and make sure she had about $100 at all times. She's been pretty tight fisted with both the cash and the CC. She spends and shops regularly with my daughter. If she wants something she buys it. She's a professional shopper in most sense of the word but she very thrifty. I believe in giving her all the lead way she needs without making her feel like a child on allowance. If you worry about what she might spend set a low limit on the CC

Offline groovlstk

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2010, 06:38:37 AM »

Finally remember what groovisk said many moons ago:

"I had patience, rivers of patience, ocean of patience and still fell short......"

Good luck.

LOL Wiz, we're coming up on 4 years and that statement still applies from time to time, although my perspective is broad enough now to understand that my wife can lay claim to the very same words.

In retrospect, much of the work I did to prepare for my wife's arrival (cleaning, fixing, researching) were more or less irrelevant, but served to keep me busy and occupied and, most importantly, gave me reassurance that I was doing everything within my power to make things as easy as possible for us (not her or not me, but us).

The most important elements to have are love and patience - without either of these, you can pave the street from the airport to your home with gold and things will still turn sour pretty quickly.

Offline Boogalter

• Opted-Out
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2010, 07:32:19 AM »
Actually, it's not a replica of a Ukrainian village.

http://culture.alberta.ca/museums/historicsiteslisting/ukrainianvillage/default.aspx

Visit this multi award-winning provincial historic site showcasing Ukrainian settlement in East Central Alberta (1892 – 1930). Be a time traveler and interact with costumed role players portraying real-life Ukrainian pioneers. Explore more than 30 historic buildings including three churches of Eastern Byzantine Rite, a fully-functioning grain elevator, blacksmith shop and burdei (sod hut). Sample traditional food and visit our gift shop. Numerous special events.

There's something for everyone at the Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village,  located 25 minutes or 50 km (30 miles) east of Edmonton on Highway 16, just 3 km (1.8 miles) east of Elk Island National Park.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2010, 07:43:15 AM »
Have you ever been there, Booghalter?

I have.  It's not a Ukrainian village.  It is a period museum intended to demonstrate the life of early Ukrainian settlers in Canada.  There are a few houses there, located because of their historical significance, not because they represent a Ukrainian village.  
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 07:44:50 AM by Boethius »
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Blues Fairy

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2010, 08:38:27 AM »
"I had patience, rivers of patience, ocean of patience and still fell short......"

Wouldn't that mean that some important limits haven't been set from the start, as they should have been?

Offline kievstar

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2010, 09:36:46 AM »
All good advise above but every woman is different.  Some drink tea, some drink coffee, and some drink both.

Expect to save money on air conditioning bill - expect to pay more on heat bill in winter.

If you have money buy new bed and sheets with her - throw the other one out. 

Shower is good advise.

One thing important make sure she has an international driving license before you leave her country.  Makes driving a lot easier in your country.  Having a car and her license where she can drive day 1 helped my wife a lot. 

Offline wiz

• Alt Forum
  • Born in Greece living in England
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2010, 12:06:08 PM »
Wouldn't that mean that some important limits haven't been set from the start, as they should have been?

What important limits should I have set right from the start?

Could you please expand and give me some examples?

Offline Gator

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2010, 01:42:31 PM »

I have.  It's not a Ukrainian village...  

Pardon my mincing.

Yes, it is Alberta, not Ukraine.  The people probably walk around speaking English.  However, the Alberta government calls it a "Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village."  What's missing?  What prevents it from being a replica? 

What's the difference between the Alberta replica and the reassembled buildings in the park outside Kiev?  Neither is a village in that nobody ever lived in the buildings where currently situated.

We have a replica of the Eiffel Tower in Las Vegas and another in Disney World.  Of course, they are not the official 19thC Eiffel Tower, and don't really capture it, yet they are still a replica albeit weak examples.

In Ukraine, I heard a band sing Hotel California.  The band was not the Eagles; yet they were not bad.  The song was still Hotel California in my opinion, even if they mispronounced some words.

Could not Booghalter's little joke still work?  By the way, WTF is a booghalter. :)

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2010, 01:44:53 PM »
Pardon my mincing.

Yes, it is Alberta, not Ukraine.  The people probably walk around speaking English.  However, the Alberta government calls it a "Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village."  What's missing?  What prevents it from being a replica? 

What's the difference between the Alberta replica and the reassembled buildings in the park outside Kiev?  Neither is a village in that nobody ever lived in the buildings where currently situated.

We have a replica of the Eiffel Tower in Las Vegas and another in Disney World.  Of course, they are not the official 19thC Eiffel Tower, and don't really capture it, yet they are still a replica albeit weak examples.

In Ukraine, I heard a band sing Hotel California.  The band was not the Eagles; yet they were not bad.  The song was still Hotel California in my opinion, even if they mispronounced some words.

Could not Booghalter's little joke still work?  By the way, WTF is a booghalter. :)

German for bookkeeper I read

Offline Blues Fairy

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2010, 01:48:56 PM »
What important limits should I have set right from the start?  Could you please expand and give me some examples?

Why so defensive?  You were quoting groovlstk and I was referring to the quote; a purely abstract example.  

If one says that oceans of patience were not enough in dealing with a new spouse, that would logically mean that the said spouse frequently overstepped the limits that should have been set firmly at the start.  The nature of the limits is in direct correlation with the nature of the behaviors which require so much patience to endure/correct.  

Offline Gator

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2010, 02:02:41 PM »
German for bookkeeper I read

That explains it - a lawyer and an accountant quibbling.  Will it erupt into caviling?  ;)

Offline Gator

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2010, 02:13:37 PM »
....If one says that oceans of patience were not enough in dealing with a new spouse, that would logically mean that the said spouse frequently overstepped the limits that should have been set firmly at the start.....   

Hah!   A good one.  Your logic makes sense, yet who could establish a comprehensive set of limits for everything that two spouses can do as individuals or as a couple?!

What man would write down "Don't put dish liquid soap in the dishwasher?"  When she does and the kitchen has bubbles above the counter tops, some patience is required as well as a good laugh and a helping hand to clean the mess.

Love conquers all.

Offline wiz

• Alt Forum
  • Born in Greece living in England
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2010, 02:18:16 PM »
Why so defensive?  You were quoting groovlstk and I was referring to the quote; a purely abstract example.  
If one says that oceans of patience were not enough in dealing with a new spouse, that would logically mean that the said spouse frequently overstepped the limits that should have been set firmly at the start.  The nature of the limits is in direct correlation with the nature of the behaviors which require so much patience to endure/correct.  

Not defensive but curious why you posted in a such way the comment to look that was mine....... now you have clear it, so thanks for that.

When you start living together with another person and especially from another culture with who have spent only some time and not years together, it is natural to have many misunderstandings, especially because of language, during the adaptation period.

Some Russian women adapt quickly and some take much longer therefore a certain period is necessary during which both must have alot of patience.

I can't see how from the start you can put certain limitations on behaviour, that happens only as you get to know each other and both have better understanding of the other person!

Do you really think this period is an easy one for both partners?

Yes Gator

Without real love you will never conquer anything!

3 years and still going strong...... despite some bad weather on the trip!  :D
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 02:20:54 PM by wiz »

Offline Boethius

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2010, 02:21:48 PM »
It's not a village, Gator.  It's more of a heritage park.  There are 3 houses, from the 1930's, and all are of historical significance, as they belonged to the first Ukrainian immigrants to Canada, and an example of a  "sod house", which was often the first home built if settlers arrived in late fall.   There are also churches, a general store, and a livery, all replicas of businesses owned by Ukrainian settlers.  Even the animals are specially bred to the period.

The architectural museum in Kyiv has examples of the types of homes Ukrainians traditionally lived in, based on various regions.  That's not the intent of the Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village. 

Ukrainians settled Alberta's central northeast.  The intent of the Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village is partly to preserve some of that history.  It's a Canadian history, not a Ukrainian history.  Unlike Ukraine, there was no one "type" of house Canadian Ukrainians lived in, so, unlike Kyiv's architectural museum, the intent to demonstrate a "typical" home is not present.  BTW, the 3 houses there are pretty nice.  

Offline groovlstk

« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2010, 02:39:40 PM »

:cluebat:

This quote was taken out of context (as it has several times over the last few years) but if you guys want to debate it, knock yourselves out - just remove my name from the discussion, please.

Offline Blues Fairy

« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2010, 02:52:03 PM »
Hah!   A good one.  Your logic makes sense, yet who could establish a comprehensive set of limits for everything that two spouses can do as individuals or as a couple?!

What man would write down "Don't put dish liquid soap in the dishwasher?"  When she does and the kitchen has bubbles above the counter tops, some patience is required as well as a good laugh and a helping hand to clean the mess.

Each one has his/her own limits as to how much one can take.  Liquid soap in dishwasher is a minor thing; not knowing how to jump the car is a minor thing.  Continuous failure to jump the car and otherwise helpless attitude towards life might be something that would be over some people's limit of patience.  Of others who tend to overextend their limits of patience (or are unable to define them), it would require "oceans of patience".   ;D  

Sorry groovlstk but the quote is just so good, I'm willing to remove your name from it if it inconveniences you; here, crossed you out.   :D

Offline Gator

« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2010, 03:49:04 PM »
Blues Fairy,

I think I understand your point.   

BTW, I believe the new RW bride must also have a lot of patience,perhaps more than the man.  She is trying to function in a new land where everything is strange.  She is surrounded by strangers; her man may even be somewhat of a stranger to her.  There is so much new  to learn while satisfying the new  "King"  ;D in her life.  It happens so fast.  This has to be frustrating and at times even lonely.  She has more to lose than the man.     Hopefully there are moments which make her feel like a "Queen."

Offline SANDRO43

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2010, 04:41:54 PM »
Same group that played in Laos earlier ;D?

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Goj3RGld4mI[/youtube]

Milan's "Duomo"

Offline Boogalter

• Opted-Out
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2010, 05:32:17 PM »

I have.  It's not a Ukrainian village.  It is a period museum intended to demonstrate the life of early Ukrainian settlers in Canada.  There are a few houses there, located because of their historical significance, not because they represent a Ukrainian village.  

AKA AS PER THE FIRST POST, A REPLICA.
 :cluebat:

Yes, I have been there.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2010, 05:43:27 PM »
It's not a replica.  Two of the homes were not in villages, but on homesteads.   So, unless they are sitting surrounded by a quarter section, they are not "replicas".  Furthermore, they are the original homes, restored to their original "splendor".

Apparently, you didn't learn much in visiting.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 05:54:39 PM by Boethius »

Offline Gator

« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2010, 07:12:32 PM »
Same group that played in Laos earlier ;D?

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Goj3RGld4mI[/youtube]

Great film.  Reminded me of some oddbirds I would occasionally encounter in SE Asia.  That background song is "Horse With No Name," not "Hotel California."  The Laotian duo is as close to America as the Yalta group was to the Eagles.

Offline Boogalter

• Opted-Out
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2010, 08:38:39 PM »
http://tapor.ualberta.ca/heritagevillage/menu1.php
Here is the website and it is both in English and Ukrainian. It is an interesting view.

People can interpret what they want. I am not going to hijack this thread. I see village with 30 buildings and it is called a village, you see only three homes and majority of them from homesteads. I see many traditional styled Ukrainian homes, you see western homes.

BTW Boogalter is бухгалтер = Russian for accountant.

German is close Buchhalter (looked up)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 08:44:43 PM by Boogalter »

Offline OlgaH

« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2010, 08:46:38 PM »
BTW Boogalter is бухгалтер = Russian for accountant.

came from German Buchhalter as бюстгальтер from Büstenhalter

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541451
Total Topics: 20864
Most Online Today: 1988
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 8
Guests: 1965
Total: 1973

+-Recent Posts

Re: Trippin in St Pete by krimster2
Today at 12:26:08 PM

Re: Trippin in St Pete by Trenchcoat
Today at 07:34:19 AM

Trippin in St Pete by 2tallbill
Today at 06:20:16 AM

Re: Hard work -- How can I explain this to my Russian wife? by Trenchcoat
Today at 01:03:56 AM

Re: Trippin in St Pete by Trenchcoat
Today at 01:01:18 AM

Hard work -- How can I explain this to my Russian wife? by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 01:53:18 PM

Russian/Ukranian women - views on sex before marriage? by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 10:57:05 AM

Russian/Ukranian women - views on sex before marriage? by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 10:55:23 AM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 10:11:31 AM

Re: international travel by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:44:27 AM