It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: How to deal with a girl that doesn't write good English?  (Read 35027 times)

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
How to deal with a girl that doesn't write good English?
« on: July 19, 2016, 01:36:14 PM »
So on this site I'm on Mamba, I find I am getting the odd girl who's written English to me is not that great. This I have come across a little before, but this girl's English is particularly bad. In fairness in her profile it says she just knows Russian. So I was wondering how to deal with this as it is making communication almost impossible. I have tried translating my phrases into Russian using Google Translate, but I'm pretty sure the problem is from her direction.

Does anyone know if they can get 'Google Translate' in the Ukraine, or a simpler program? I have tried posting her the link to 'Google Translate' but whenever I have done this in the past the girl does not seem to follow or say if she got it, just keeps trying to communicate in her substandard version of English. I think the problem they seem to have most difficulty with is the order of the sentence as I believe they often order words differently in their sentences. Anyway, was just hoping if someone can shed some light on this or got a solution?

ps. I'm assuming her English language is just as bad unless of course she can speak better than she writes  but her written work does not inspire me to speak with her as I find it awkward if there are language barriers in trying to establish a rapport with a girl.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Larry1

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 02:19:13 PM »
I tried a number of times to develop some rapport with girls who spoke very little English. I was never successful. It was so much easier with girls who spoke better English.

I envied the guys who were successful doing this. If you can do it it certainly opens up a huge new pool of possibles.

My first fsuw girlfriend took English lessons as part of her search. This is the kind of commitment that fosters success in the search.

Offline John of Hesperia

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 05:10:23 PM »
I tried a number of times to develop some rapport with girls who spoke very little English. I was never successful. It was so much easier with girls who spoke better English.

I envied the guys who were successful doing this. If you can do it it certainly opens up a huge new pool of possibles.

My first fsuw girlfriend took English lessons as part of her search. This is the kind of commitment that fosters success in the search.

Good advice but if OP has Google Translator, he can do all the work himself.  Pretty simple, just write your letters to the FSUW in English, copy and paste the Russian translation to your email, and bingo!
Works for me.

Old ain't dead, but it don't feel good getting old.  Pain is nature's way of telling me I'm still alive!

Offline mhr7

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 06:18:44 PM »
Good advice but if OP has Google Translator, he can do all the work himself.  Pretty simple, just write your letters to the FSUW in English, copy and paste the Russian translation to your email, and bingo!
Works for me.

And you're probably leaving her confused about a great many things. I might use google to translate a word or two but certainly wouldn't use it to impress a woman.

Trench-Ukrainian women are very aware of google and other translation sites. If you are having this much trouble communicating with her my advice is to find another girl. There's a million of 'em.
"After your death, you will be what you were before your birth." - Schopenhauer

Offline BillyB

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 07:10:43 PM »

I've used Prompt translator. You can translate your words, then cut and paste into message box. If she has an @mail.ru email account, she has a translator built in.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 07:13:46 PM »
Works for me.

And you're probably leaving her confused about a great many things. I might use google to translate a word or two but certainly wouldn't use it to impress a woman.

John, I agree with mhr7.  You cannot rely solely on Google Translate (or any translation program) because it simply can't include the nuances which you unconsciously use continuously in your own actual speech.  If you're going to use it, ALWAYS translate what it has provided directly back into English, and see how close it is to what you originally wrote.  If you're lucky, it might be 75-80% the same.  Keep going backwards and forwards until both versions are exactly the same, or close enough for you to be comfortable - otherwise, just write in English and let the woman do her own translating.  Short sentences are the best by far - long ones, with multiple clauses, will create conniptions in the software, and you could end up with something meaning the opposite of what you intended.

Just as an example, I translated that last sentence using Google Translate, and this is what it came up with:

Короткие предложения являются лучшими на сегодняшний день - длинные, с несколькими пунктами, создаст conniptions в программном обеспечении, и вы могли бы в конечном итоге с чем-то означает противоположное тому, что вы хотели.

Which translates back to:

Short sentences are the best to date - a long, multi-point, will conniptions in the software, and you might end up with something that is the opposite of what you wanted.

Not quite the same - but enough to demonstrate.  "By far" is nothing like "to date," and "intended" is not quite the same as "wanted."

I've used Prompt translator. You can translate your words, then cut and paste into message box. If she has an @mail.ru email account, she has a translator built in.

Agree with this too.  Promt is better than Google.

Offline Larry1

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 07:17:18 PM »
Works for me.

shortly after I began my search I began corresponding with a Belarusian girl. At that time I had never even heard of Google Translate. she must have been using that or another translation tool. Her emails were difficult for me to comprehend. When I talked to her on the phone she spoke barely any English. Because of this things never went anywhere between us and I eventually moved on to another Belarusian girl who spoke decent English. We talked on skype every day. I soon flew to meet her and things were great.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 08:01:15 PM »

Promt is better than Google.

You spelled "Promt" the correct way, I didn't. I also think it's better than other translators out there.

The language barrier can be a good thing though. For some guys it may be to their advantage if a woman doesn't understand what is coming out of their mouths.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline ML

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 08:27:06 PM »
Quite simple.

If you are going to live permanently in the country of the woman, then you learn her language.

If she is going to come to your country, then only start with those who can communicate in your language.

Concerning computer translators . . . worthless I would say.
As I mentioned in other threads, Ochka likes me to check all her emails (3 accounts for various purposes) every day, and even write responses myself if possible (mostly business and university related, invitations, etc.) and just tell her the overview.

I also see emails that her friends have written her in Ukrainian.  I am not going to answer these messages and she will read, but sometimes I am curious what they are saying.  Ochka doesn't mind at all that I look at these.

Anyway, I run these messages through a translator and only about one sentence out of 5 or so makes any sense at all.  Later, I have Ochka translate for me . . . and the gist of the sentences (even those that are fully translated with no nonsensible words) are nothing at all like the true meaning.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline BC

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 12:56:18 AM »

The language barrier can be a good thing though. For some guys it may be to their advantage if a woman doesn't understand what is coming out of their mouths.

Are you speaking from experience?   :devil: :devil:  :D

Offline msmobyone

• patriotism is the last vestige of fools, but hey
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 01:00:30 AM »
ML

made it simple..

I didn't know much Russian and went to meet a lady who had the idea to meet a western guy, but spoke b'all English

DISASTER..

I resolved to know Russian - as I lived among Russian speakers in Cyprus.

14 years later I speak Russian well enough to generate respect / laughs, but understand it well enough to watch a film / tv news.

Unless you are gifted or can immerse yourself - don't bother...

If a lady is interested enough - she'll try to learn English.

edited to add..

The lady is still single and doesn't speak English - but we can now converse, kept in contact and share updates about our respective families.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 01:04:57 AM by msmobyone »
Please excuse the Curmudgeon in my posts ..he will be cured by being reunited with his loved one ;)

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2016, 04:30:40 AM »
Works for me.

That is what I said I have done in my op. The problem seems to be her posts back to me. I think she probably understands what I am saying. I struggle to understand what she is saying though, at best I may get an idea she can't skype for example, I get the message back "We discussed not have removed me skype .."

Other messages back from her may come back even more incoherent. I generally send messages to her in English, she always sends back in Russian and I use Google Translate. Either her translator program is not working well or mine isn't. I'm now guessing maybe google translate isn't with this girl maybe down to the way she forms her Russian sentences, I normally find google translate works well enough.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 04:36:07 AM »
John, I agree with mhr7.  You cannot rely solely on Google Translate (or any translation program) because it simply can't include the nuances which you unconsciously use continuously in your own actual speech.  If you're going to use it, ALWAYS translate what it has provided directly back into English, and see how close it is to what you originally wrote.  If you're lucky, it might be 75-80% the same.  Keep going backwards and forwards until both versions are exactly the same, or close enough for you to be comfortable - otherwise, just write in English and let the woman do her own translating.  Short sentences are the best by far - long ones, with multiple clauses, will create conniptions in the software, and you could end up with something meaning the opposite of what you intended.

Just as an example, I translated that last sentence using Google Translate, and this is what it came up with:

Короткие предложения являются лучшими на сегодняшний день - длинные, с несколькими пунктами, создаст conniptions в программном обеспечении, и вы могли бы в конечном итоге с чем-то означает противоположное тому, что вы хотели.

Which translates back to:

Short sentences are the best to date - a long, multi-point, will conniptions in the software, and you might end up with something that is the opposite of what you wanted.

Not quite the same - but enough to demonstrate.  "By far" is nothing like "to date," and "intended" is not quite the same as "wanted."

Agree with this too.  Promt is better than Google.

Short sentences sounds like a good idea to me, I have a habit off doing long sentences. Perhaps why some guys can communicate better than others with non-English language girls. In the example from this girl, "Ми же обсуждали Нет удалила я скайп.." translated as "We have already discussed, I do not have skype removed .." Promt does not seem to be able to translate this at all - just started using this so guess I am using it ok.

Anyway, much apprieciate the help it is very usefull. I will have to train my self to be typically blunt Russian in my phrasing of my sentences, lol  :D

Offline BillyB

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2016, 07:40:54 AM »
Are you speaking from experience?   :devil: :devil:  :D

Do you speak German?

Weil ich viele dumme Dinge sage, spreche ich eine Sprache, die meine Frau nicht versteht. Es ist das Geheimnis dazu, warum wir uns nicht streiten und unsere Ehe so lange gedauert hat.

Offline BC

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2016, 07:56:25 AM »
Do you speak German?

Weil ich viele dumme Dinge sage, spreche ich eine Sprache, die meine Frau nicht versteht. Es ist das Geheimnis dazu, warum wir uns nicht streiten und unsere Ehe so lange gedauert hat.

Na klar.. 

Wir männer sagen immer dumme dinger, egal welche sprache gesprochen wird..  wenn mein frau sagt es ist so... so muss es auch sein ;) LOL

Offline ML

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2016, 09:35:41 AM »
Solche dummen Worte. Es sieht aus wie Griechisch zu mir.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline BC

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2016, 02:08:38 PM »
Solche dummen Worte. Es sieht aus wie Griechisch zu mir.

Nein.. Deutsch LOL

Does go to show that translation software may not be that accurate lol.. I just translated what I wrote with google translate and it did pretty much ok, but nowhere near perfect.

Long ago I met a RW who spoke very, very little English and even less German.. great gal, nice, sweet, beautiful but it was impossible to communicate in or out of bed so gave up.  Don't mention sugar at all when speaking German.. Zucker sounds too much like suka....
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 02:24:31 PM by BC »

Offline Muzh

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2016, 03:25:03 PM »
To answer the original query, why bother?

It is to your extreme advantage that she is unable to talk to you. Once she learns the language, she'll become an American woman. And you know how that will turn out.

Better think of that before you pull the trigger.  ;)
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline whynotme

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2016, 05:29:45 PM »
You are dealing with a girl that doesn't write good Russian.  :P

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2016, 05:38:55 PM »

Just like some of the posters here who don't write good English!  :devil:

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2016, 10:15:37 PM »

+1

FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2016, 10:30:52 PM »
So on this site I'm on Mamba, I find I am getting the odd girl who's written English to me is not that great. This I have come across a little before, but this girl's English is particularly bad. .

In my opinion You are going for looks again rather than compatibility. If you can't
communicate it's likely that she's hot but can't really communicate in English or
in Russian

Does anyone know if they can get 'Google Translate' in the Ukraine, or a simpler program?

Google is world wide, everybody has heard about it and is familiar with it.
You are talking to a girl who either is living in a mud hut or a girl who isn't
a good fit to pursue. You are probably pushing the envelope too far again.

ps. I'm assuming her English language is just as bad unless of course she can speak better than she writes  but her written work does not inspire me to speak with her as I find it awkward if there are language barriers in trying to establish a rapport with a girl.

If you find a good girl who is serious then she will make an extensive effort to
communicate with you. She will hold a coat hanger outside the window with her
toes in a snowstorm just to send a text message. You want to find a girl like
this and not a girl who can't speak English or decent Russian.

That's just my opinion, others might disagree but they would be wrong. 

Udachi!

Bill

PS there are a zillion girls in the FSU who would like to communicate with
you. The reason that you are asking all these questions and scenarios is
likely because you aren't dumping girls who aren't interested enough. You
need to keep searching to find a girl who is seriously interested and not
just a girl who is simply interested enough to reply to you.  Big interest is
what you want.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 10:39:11 PM by 2tallbill »
FSUW don't do vague

Offline LAman

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2016, 02:14:16 PM »
To answer the original query, why bother?

That says it all!!!

Trench, are doing this girl hunting for a book you are writing???  I think you find a girl then want to examine her as to the why's. when's, what's and how's....... irregardless if she is compatible or not. (did I just make up a word?)

To Bill....a zillion girls?????? Trenchy can't locate one. And I thought the population of this planet is still measured in the billions!!!! ))))
Goes with the 'tons' of chicks, who needs fat chicks, I don't !!!!!  I'm with ML, love that slenderness..........
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2016, 09:34:07 AM »
In my opinion You are going for looks again rather than compatibility. If you can't
communicate it's likely that she's hot but can't really communicate in English or
in Russian

Google is world wide, everybody has heard about it and is familiar with it.
You are talking to a girl who either is living in a mud hut or a girl who isn't
a good fit to pursue. You are probably pushing the envelope too far again.

If you find a good girl who is serious then she will make an extensive effort to
communicate with you. She will hold a coat hanger outside the window with her
toes in a snowstorm just to send a text message. You want to find a girl like
this and not a girl who can't speak English or decent Russian.

That's just my opinion, others might disagree but they would be wrong. 

Udachi!

Bill

PS there are a zillion girls in the FSU who would like to communicate with
you. The reason that you are asking all these questions and scenarios is
likely because you aren't dumping girls who aren't interested enough. You
need to keep searching to find a girl who is seriously interested and not
just a girl who is simply interested enough to reply to you.  Big interest is
what you want.

You could well be right, however I've had girls on EM who kept communicating with me who were later removed as not meeting their rules - on had poor English and seemed to keep repeating stuff or not following on from what I had written. The scam situation is a real difficulty getting in the way of meeting decent women.

I have got a girl I am keen on at the moment and going out to meet her, should she show up & all turn out well then that would be good. I think there could be real chemistry there potentially (not skyped with her). Basically a lot of girls tend to need to see in person to see if there is something there, skype is ok but takes up so much time. I'll try a bit longer and different methods if no joy this time but I think longer term I am looking at a non-dating feet on the ground approach out there - doing something out there that will put me in contact with these woman day to day.

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2016, 12:58:58 PM »
To Bill....a zillion girls?????? Trenchy can't locate one. And I thought the population of this planet is still measured in the billions!!!! ))))

LAman,

He's been bungling the sifting job. You write a bunch of girls and sift through them.
That means you reject the girl that this thread was started about. If in doubt kick
them out. You have to reject girls who aren't excellent candidates. You only want
to meet an excellent girl.

How do you f#ck that up? by not rejecting mediocre girls? Why would somebody do
that? because they are hot. So what you end up doing is collecting a bunch of hot
mediocre candidates who you have zero chances of marrying but keep after them
because they are hot.

That's my opinion at least. If he's not rejecting these girls AND they aren't hot then
he may need to get somebody like Eduard to help him because he doesn't have the
social skills to succeed at this on his own.

That's my opinion based on the small amount of information that I've read here.

Bill
FSUW don't do vague

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541319
Total Topics: 20860
Most Online Today: 3934
Most Online Ever: 12701