It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Stats in International Dating/Marriage  (Read 9295 times)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
Stats in International Dating/Marriage
« on: May 06, 2008, 09:02:15 PM »
Hey Folks,

We often note the fact there are no legitimate stats about international dating and marriage.

What are the most important stat(s) you would like to see available?

For example, would the rate of divorce among cross-cultural couples be of interest?

What others?

- Dan

Offline BC

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Stats in International Dating/Marriage
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 10:13:24 PM »
For example, would the rate of divorce among cross-cultural couples be of interest?

What others?

To make any sense, would have to include length of marriage and method of meeting.  Maybe even length of time the couple dated before marriage and amount of face to face time.  Country of origin and W country. Ethnicity/race of the parties.  Previous marriage history, primary cause of divorce and whether or not international would be interesting.  Months/years searching.  Amount of money spent before/after marriage.  Number of prior attempts / immigration application. Of course age difference etc etc..

LOL

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 08:37:04 AM »
To make any sense, would have to include length of marriage and method of meeting.  Maybe even length of time the couple dated before marriage and amount of face to face time.  Country of origin and W country. Ethnicity/race of the parties.  Previous marriage history, primary cause of divorce and whether or not international would be interesting.  Months/years searchingAmount of money spent before/after marriage.  Number of prior attempts / immigration application. Of course age difference etc etc..

LOL

Hmmmm . . . I can determine how to pose questions for many of the items in the list, but those emboldened items give me pause.

Method of meeting: Social/Tour - On the street - In a bar - Introduced by Friends/Family - what else?

Months/Years searching: What to use as demarcation of the starting point? i.e. Since when? Seriously or casually searching? How to resolve any ambiguities in the question so as to achieve clear responses?

Amount of money spent...: Not sure what this is aimed at. Clarification?

Number of prior attempts: I suppose this could include both successful and unsuccessful attempts. What does this one provide once collected?

- Dan

Offline BC

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 09:04:03 AM »
>>Method of meeting: Social/Tour - On the street - In a bar - Introduced by Friends/Family - what else?<<

Agency / Internet Chat / During Business trip or Holiday

>>Months/Years searching: What to use as demarcation of the starting point? i.e. Since when? Seriously or casually searching? How to resolve any ambiguities in the question so as to achieve clear responses?<<

How long actively searching.  Could be from 'Was not searching' or some value in months before finding the final marriage partner.

>>Amount of money spent...: Not sure what this is aimed at. Clarification?<<

Questions always arise as to additional funds necessary in international relationships.  An average would be interesting.. example spent 2.500 bucks for travels, Agency fees etc to find/date and 10.000 in the first year after marriage (over and above what would normally be spent with a hometown marriage)

>>Number of prior attempts: I suppose this could include both successful and unsuccessful attempts. What does this one provide once collected?<<

Have noted a significant number of folks with multiple FSU fiancee's (immigration processes started, then dropped), few though married for a longer term. Maybe there is some correlation.

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 03:46:00 AM »
The one I hear talked about the most is the one Dan mentioned, the success or divorce rate.  I think the two things that might be of interest along those lines is how long the marriage lasted.  I have a feeling just over two years will be pretty common and who initiated the divorce.  My gut feelings are it will be the woman.

It could be interesting to try to tie in some of the factors we talk about in the success and failure rate such as level of English when she arrived, amount of time spent together before arrival on the K-1, children etc.

Offline tim 360

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 08:50:57 PM »
"Questions always arise as to additional funds necessary in international relationships.  An average would be interesting.. example spent 2.500 bucks for travels, Agency fees etc to find/date and 10.000 in the first year after marriage (over and above what would normally be spent with a hometown marriage)" Quote BC

This figure would also be of interest but I don't know where one would find reliable info.  Except maybe from member here.  Also I think 10K could be on the light side for many who go this route.  And don't forget time expended because time is money.  I have a few friends who married girls over here on biz or student visas and did the K1 and I know even with that advantage they came near the 10K neighborhood to marry a girl from the FSU within the first 2 years.  They would say it was money very well spent.

I am sure that today a guy going there and using agencies etc on multiple trips would easily surpass that 10K figure.  I have a feeling that is entry level. 

IE:  I am not sure TG has yet finished the tally but rest assured he passed that 10k milestone some time ago.  Yet that is a small price for one to pay if one really crunches the marriage numbers and cost no matter who you marry. 

I don't even know if a collection of stats is an effective measure of anything relevant because so many weird guys have been involved in this in the last decade that the numbers will be skewed in an unfavorable light.  I don't know if raw numbers will have much meaning at all?  Alot depends upon the quality of the individuals involved.
"Never argue with a fool,  onlookers may not be able to tell the difference".  Mark Twain

Offline OlgaH

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 06:30:54 PM »

What others?

- Dan

According to the Immigration Service of US about 80% of Russian-American marriages come to divorce.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/russian/russia/newsid_7452000/7452541.stm

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 07:05:07 PM »
According to the Immigration Service of US about 80% of Russian-American marriages come to divorce.

I wonder about the validity of that article. For one, it attributes the 80% divorce rate to "Russian managers of internet marriage agencies". What possible motivation would that group have for claiming that?

Although they make reference to the "US Immigration Services" supporting that claim, I have yet to see any substantiation of that claim.

- Dan

Offline OlgaH

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 08:05:16 PM »
Who knows... may be the Consul General Kurt Amend supported them  ::)

Offline Ooooops

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 08:13:13 PM »

Olga, I've tried to search BBC site for the same article in English and couldn't find any.   So now I'm thinking that it's just another "propaganda" writing that is so popular in Russian mass-media nowadays :rolleyes2:... 

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 08:18:49 PM »
Who knows... may be the Consul General Kurt Amend supported them  ::)

It seemed the only comments attributed to Amend were the decline of K-visas issued for the past 3 years. Maybe I missed it in the translation, but I am pretty sure they did not attribute any reference to divorce rate to Kurt Amend.

- Dan

Offline OlgaH

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 08:26:47 PM »
Olga, I've tried to search BBC site for the same article in English and couldn't find any.   So now I'm thinking that it's just another "propaganda" writing that is so popular in Russian mass-media nowadays :rolleyes2:... 

As in a Russian chastushka : "Не ходите девки замуж за Ивана Кузина. У Ивана кузина большая кукурузина"  :D or "Don't marry, girls, to Johnny Torn, Johnny Torn has a big corn"  :D 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 08:36:01 PM by OlgaH »

Offline OlgaH

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 08:30:47 PM »
but I am pretty sure they did not attribute any reference to divorce rate to Kurt Amend.

- Dan

No they don't, they cover him  ;D

Offline Ooooops

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 08:46:21 PM »
As in a Russian chastushka : "Не ходите девки замуж за Ивана Кузина. У Ивана кузина большая кукурузина"  :D or "Don't marry, girls, to Johnny Torn, Johnny Torn has a big corn"  :D 

We had a Dean in our college with this name.   Can you imagine how many times he heard this?   :D

Offline OlgaH

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 08:48:04 PM »
We had a Dean in our college with this name.   Can you imagine how many times he heard this?   :D

Is he married or single?  :D

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2008, 08:55:44 PM »

Can't read it but a few years ago someone put up the 80% divorce rate based on Immigration Service records and come to find out, it was based on 80% of the RW going back to visit their countries and it had nothing to do with leaving their husband. I doubt Immigration keeps track of who gets divorced anyway, mainly those coming and going.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Ooooops

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2008, 09:02:38 PM »
Is he married or single?  :D

I'm not even sure if he's alive anymore...   it was a looooong time ago....   I think he was married at that time though.   

Offline steviej

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2008, 09:08:25 PM »
I doubt Immigration keeps track of who gets divorced anyway, mainly those coming and going.

You're right, BillyB, they don't have anything to do with divorce. They might have some data on how many green card applications went through a change of status from "married" to "abused spouse of US citizen" or something like that.

Offline steviej

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2008, 10:07:56 PM »
By the way, statistically, I married 50% of the FSU women I dated !! 

Offline Ooooops

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2008, 10:18:30 PM »
By the way, statistically, I married 50% of the FSU women I dated !! 

:D :D :D

There are three types of lies - lies, damn lies, and statistics (c)

Offline steviej

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2008, 10:27:16 PM »
:D :D :D

There are three types of lies - lies, damn lies, and statistics (c)

I also had sex with 50% of the FSU women I dated !!  :) :) ;)

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541334
Total Topics: 20861
Most Online Today: 2843
Most Online Ever: 12701