It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Russia Invades Georgia !  (Read 19092 times)

Offline BC

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Russia Invades Georgia !
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2008, 02:02:54 PM »

Unfortenately you have had a really incompetent president for the last two terms that has been manipulated by the people that has a an interest in America beeing at war! The ones that had to pay the price for that is the avarage guy that has gone to war i a beliefe that he is doing the right thing!

The popularity of your country has also dropped to an all time low during the predidency of Bush. I think some surveys gave Obama about an 80 % support in Germany and about 90 % in Sweden and Finland. Off course it is not really our business, but it shows what most of the world thinks about Bush and his imperial politics.

Anyway, this is NOT an aggression towards the american citizens. But i think you have had a really bad president in Bush!

There were several Presidents involved with creating their 'pal' Bin Laden, planting seeds for  Al Qaeda. Carter, Reagan etc..

I'm not a Bush fan at all, but did support going after Bin Laden in Afghanistan, or anywhere else for that matter.  Strangely enough, the greatest military might in the world found Sadaam in a hole somewhere but seems to have lost interest in public enemy nr1.  Seems as long as Bin Laden is kept alive the effort can go on.. Once he is caught there is little left to justify current foreign policy..  I remember Bush stating 'dead or alive'.. but guess what.. he's worth more alive than dead.  That's where Bush went wrong.

History is interesting.. The fall of the Soviet Union was not due to war, but economics.. I believe the Bush administration has been the most expensive Presidency ever.. adding trillions to an already scary national debt in one way or other.. I begin to wonder if the US has the strength to survive in the mid to long term.

enough rant..

Offline wxman

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2008, 04:30:58 PM »
What always amazes me is when something bad happens in this world it's the US fault for being too active such as the middle east, and also at fault for not doing enough in Africa. Russia is putting the blame on the US for it's spat with Georgia, although they have been supplying arms to the South Ossetia separatist movement since the split of the Soviet Union. Russia criticizes the US for it's involvement in Kosovo and it's independence, but yet can actively arm and invade Georgia to separate South Ossetia from Georgia. In fact the President of Russia today came out today and said Georgia has now lost it's right to rule South Ossetia. Seems Russia is just using this as an excuse to expand and conquer all over again. The Soviet Union is not dead, it's just awakening again. I'm sure they will continue to ferment problems in Ukraine and South Ossetia is just a starter for retaking the Crimea. I imagine Ukraine is very worried about this development. If Russia can annex  South Ossetia so easily with it's majority Russian population, it won't be too hard to do the same with the Crimea and it's majority Russian population.  Again, it's always the fault of the US. The world wants the US to lead, as long as it can tell US how to lead.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 04:41:14 PM by wxman »
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote." – Benjamin Franklin -

Offline wxman

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2008, 04:31:31 PM »
Accidently did a double post.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 04:35:33 PM by wxman »
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote." – Benjamin Franklin -

Offline diverboy70

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2008, 04:36:53 PM »
What always amazes me is when something bad happens in this world it's the US fault for being too active such as the middle east, and also at fault for not doing enough in Africa. Russia is putting the blame on the US for it's spat with Georgia, although they have been supplying arms to the South Ossetia separatist movement since the split of the Soviet Union. Russia criticizes the US for it's involvement in Kosovo and it's independence, but yet can actively arm and invade Georgia to separate South Ossetia from Georgia. In fact the President of Russia today came out today and said Georgia has now lost it's right to rule South Ossetia. Again, it's always the fault of the US. The world wants the US to lead, as long as it can tell US how to lead.

We are a lot of people that want US to take the back seat for a while, and not get involved in every confligt on the globe!!!

Offline wxman

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2008, 04:42:19 PM »
We are a lot of people that want US to take the back seat for a while, and not get involved in every confligt on the globe!!!

Unfortunately it's because the rest of the world would just like to bury it's head in the sand. 

Offline diverboy70

« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2008, 04:43:29 PM »
Wxman

You are simplyfiying and going on an easy propagrandapath here!

Offline diverboy70

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2008, 04:44:43 PM »
Your usual excuse for putting your nose were it not belong ;)

Offline wxman

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2008, 04:52:54 PM »
The US is always asked to do the dirty work of western Europe. They want their energy from the Middle East, which mostly goes to Europe, but they want the US to be the ones to make sure the shipping lanes remain open and thus can blame the US if something goes wrong as it's not them that are over there. They want the US to stand up to Russia and appear to be the bad guy, so they can keep their trade going strong with Russia and act like they are not against Russia. Of course the big one, they want us to protect them with all our bases in Europe, and would have a fit if we just told them we were pulling out.

Offline diverboy70

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2008, 04:54:27 PM »
We have the UN, we don't need the US to be the "world police"!

Yes I know what you will say, the UN is ineffective! Yes but it is it for a reason, to find a global solution to crises is not an easy task. It is ineffective because it is trying to find a solution that is supported by the whole international community!

US going out and trying to play police without any support in the international community is the reason why the US has such a low regard globally today, You are not killing terorists you are breeding them!

I just hope you will get a president with a little more sence the next time!

Offline diverboy70

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2008, 04:56:10 PM »
The US is always asked to do the dirty work of western Europe. They want their energy from the Middle East, which mostly goes to Europe, but they want the US to be the ones to make sure the shipping lanes remain open and thus can blame the US if something goes wrong as it's not them that are over there. They want the US to stand up to Russia and appear to be the bad guy, so they can keep their trade going strong with Russia and act like they are not against Russia. Of course the big one, they want us to protect them with all our bases in Europe, and would have a fit if we just told them we were pulling out.

Get your head down from the clouds ;)

Offline wxman

« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2008, 04:57:03 PM »
Get your head out of the sand  :-\

Offline diverboy70

« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2008, 04:58:42 PM »
The EU is today building its own international army. About not wanting to do the dirty work, the EU maybe thinks twice before deploying troops! You know ir is not the easy solution of every international crisis!

Offline diverboy70

« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2008, 05:00:22 PM »
Ok wxman maybe we can agree on to disagree on this one! ;)

Cultural differences! ;)

Offline wxman

« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2008, 05:01:08 PM »
The EU is today building its own international army.

And you find that acceptable? Soon the EU will stick it's nose where it doesn't belong, just as you say about the US, but that's ok, as long as it's a EU army.

Offline wxman

« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2008, 05:02:01 PM »
Ok wxman maybe we can agree on to disagree on this one! ;)

Cultural differences! ;)

Yes. It ok to disagree. See we didn't have a war  ;D

Offline diverboy70

« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2008, 05:03:18 PM »
Nope, we allready has that army. But it's not so visible since we decide to not have such an aggressive profile that the US recently has had

Offline diverboy70

« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2008, 05:06:08 PM »
OK wxman!

I like a good argument fight, as long as it is fair and building on arguments  ;D

I just don't want to offend anyone!

Offline diverboy70

« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2008, 05:08:17 PM »
... too much  ;D

Offline I/O

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2008, 07:38:26 PM »
Seems as long as Bin Laden is kept alive the effort can go on.. Once he is caught there is little left to justify current foreign policy..

BC: So how do you respond to the theory that Bin Laidoften was taken out in the first 5 minutes and only remains as ghost emanating from an ice box?

I/O

Offline Lit_1nce

« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2008, 08:15:19 PM »
BC: So how do you respond to the theory that Bin Laidoften was taken out in the first 5 minutes and only remains as ghost emanating from an ice box?

I/O

Watch for him to be thawed out as an October surprise ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_surprise
Only 1 avatar has been harmed in the making of this post.. and in my defense.., avatar torture is a "grey area" and has only been used in this case to extract information.. and besides, isn't golf just self induced torture anyway ?

Offline BC

« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2008, 10:01:40 PM »

I/O

I kinda doubt it.  With all the video and audio 'verification' since.. wouldn't make sense if the freezer was in Guantanamo or in a cave somewhere. but then again nothing surprises me nowdays.. maybe I'm getting too old.

Offline deccie

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2008, 10:22:33 PM »
Of course the big one, they want us to protect them with all our bases in Europe, and would have a fit if we just told them we were pulling out.
With what aircraft? Since the JSF and F-22 are yet to enter service in significant numbers (I think there are less than 100 F-22's in service so far)  the F-16 and F-15 remain the current majority US fighter aircraft. F-15's are being retired at an accelerated rate due to problems with the wing spars and many other aircraft are being retired due to them running out of airframe hours. If you look at the average age of an air force aircraft today it would probably exceed 20 years. Most of the planes the Air Force flies today have their origins in the 1960's and 70's and need replacing urgently.

I beleive even the F-117 is almost out of service now.

Offline BC

« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2008, 11:16:10 PM »

There have already been massive drawdowns of US troops in Europe since the 90's.. Not many complaints so far and it continues.  I've seen major bases over here turn into ghost towns.  The local merchants and landlords complain the most.

http://rawstory.com/news/afp/No_decision_on_keeping_40_000_troop_11212007.html

http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=57981&archive=true

Expansions are usually met with protests.

http://www.peaceandjustice.it/g-dal-molin.php

No one here has any fear of a RU invasion.

Offline cloch

« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2008, 04:07:47 AM »
The facts of the matter are that those two regions had an independently free monitered referendum in the 90's about being  independent. Georgia commited a war crime-Russia is quite justified in helping it's compatriots. I find it laughable the comments of some posters from the US- if anyone should be in the Hague it should be Bush for his completely illegal war in Iraq-but of course the cowardly americans won't even sign upto the international courts for justice and a country that is supposedly democratic sees nothing wrong with imprisioning people without trial in g.bay! And they wonder why they are so unpopular over the world.

Offline steviej

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2008, 09:52:50 AM »
a
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 09:56:05 AM by steviej »

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541388
Total Topics: 20862
Most Online Today: 2512
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 2139
Total: 2149

+-Recent Posts

Re: international travel by krimster2
Today at 04:57:12 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:36:35 AM

Re: Navigating the longest story ever told by Stirlitz
Yesterday at 02:18:56 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine - Senate just passed the Bill! by Stirlitz
Yesterday at 02:12:24 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine - Senate just passed the Bill! by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 01:56:55 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine - Senate just passed the Bill! by krimster2
April 23, 2024, 07:07:31 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
April 23, 2024, 11:31:49 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Manny
April 23, 2024, 11:07:15 AM

Re: international travel by krimster2
April 23, 2024, 09:50:04 AM

Re: international travel by 2tallbill
April 23, 2024, 08:20:37 AM