It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Chat and PM  (Read 7371 times)

Offline Mod3

• Super Moderator
Chat and PM
« on: February 06, 2013, 01:31:17 AM »
As many members know RWD offers a chat room to let members meet in a faster and (even) more informal discussion. It is accessible by clicking the link on the profile that mentions how many users are in chat.

For those who use the chat I would like to offer a consideration.
The chat is, while a direct way of communication, not off limits as far as the TOS and Guidelines for Civil Behavior are concerned.

The moderators have access to chat logs and check them regularly. Any behavior that is out of line will be corrected which can lead to limitations in chatting and posting.

Also note that what is written in chat can be posted on open forum as it is a public venue.

Finally I would like to give in to consideration that the PM function of this board is deemed to be "personal messages" and not as often misquoted "private messages". Apart from the report function for inappropriate messages the moderating team can, if there is due cause, view the contents and take action against those who transgress the TOS.
While the personal messages between members are indeed personal, they still fall within the TOS.

Offline Manny

• Commercial Member
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Chat and PM
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 01:28:17 PM »
the moderating team can, if there is due cause, view the contents and take action against those who transgress the TOS.

You have the non SMF supported mod here that allows the mod group to randomly view member PMs?

Offline Shadow

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 01:45:48 PM »

You have the non SMF supported mod here that allows the mod group to randomly view member PMs?
I doubt anyone will disclose how it is done, there are many ways as you may know  ;D
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline Larry1

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 01:48:54 PM »
Does anyone else see the irony?  Methods that seem vaguely Soviet in a forum devoted to FSU.   Is there behind the scenes a People's Commissar for the Suppression of Dissent?

Offline Slumba

• Banned Member
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 02:00:41 PM »
Does anyone else see the irony?  Methods that seem vaguely Soviet in a forum devoted to FSU.   Is there behind the scenes a People's Commissar for the Suppression of Dissent?

And, dare we post her name?
Me gusta ir de compras con mi tarjeta verde...

Offline Mod3

• Super Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 02:30:53 PM »
Nothing Soviet about checking if our standards are met. More CIA like, we uphold the freedom if needed by force.

And FYI the checks are not done by any female moderator. Remember that I am the rarely visible part of the 6-headed ModX team that assists our 'regular' team if needed.

Offline calmissile

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 02:48:15 PM »
Larry1,

I can't send you a PM, but ran accross a couple of terms for your glossary you are working on.
Not sure if these are literal tranlations or a characteristic of the translator..........

Car translates into Machine
Wizard apparently means a Master Repairman.  Not sure of the distinction between a normal repairman and a Master (Wizard).

Doug (Calmissile)

Offline I/O

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 03:12:23 PM »
Finally I would like to give in to consideration that the PM function of this board is deemed to be "personal messages" and not as often misquoted "private messages". Apart from the report function for inappropriate messages the moderating team can, if there is due cause, view the contents and take action against those who transgress the TOS. While the personal messages between members are indeed personal, they still fall within the TOS.
Whilst the intention may be honorable, this is a very ill considered piece of public information. Any of us who've been around forums for a while, either front end or behind the scenes, are more than well aware of what can and can't be accessed but it doesn't invoke any confidence in the membership by drawing attention to it. Discretion, as they say, is the better part of valour. Simple advice that the TOS extend to chat and Pm's would have been sufficient to make the point.

Offline Shadow

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 03:14:20 PM »
Larry1,

I can't send you a PM, but ran accross a couple of terms for your glossary you are working on.
Not sure if these are literal tranlations or a characteristic of the translator..........

Car translates into Machine
Wizard apparently means a Master Repairman.  Not sure of the distinction between a normal repairman and a Master (Wizard).
In Russian car is called machina, hence the translation.
As for Wizard, please give the exact word. It is used in slang for someone extremely handy in something, but not as title.

Offline Mod3

• Super Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 03:18:26 PM »
Whilst the intention may be honorable, this is a very ill considered piece of public information. Any of us who've been around forums for a while, either front end or behind the scenes, are more than well aware of what can and can't be accessed but it doesn't invoke any confidence in the membership by drawing attention to it. Discretion, as they say, is the better part of valour. Simple advice that the TOS extend to chat and Pm's would have been sufficient to make the point.
The disclosure is intentional. There are members who will not be scratching their heads as to why.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 03:35:04 PM by Mod3 »

Offline I/O

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 03:30:10 PM »
The disclosure is intentional.
I'm not suggesting it wasn't.

Offline calmissile

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 03:33:06 PM »
In Russian car is called machina, hence the translation.
As for Wizard, please give the exact word. It is used in slang for someone extremely handy in something, but not as title.

Here is the actual line and the translation.  The term Wizard seems to come up frequently when she is talking about a repairman of some kind.

В Ялте мастер был описал.
(flag:uk) In Yalta Wizard was described.
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline Shadow

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 03:44:26 PM »
Here is the actual line and the translation.  The term Wizard seems to come up frequently when she is talking about a repairman of some kind.

В Ялте мастер был описал.
(flag:uk) In Yalta Wizard was described.
Interesting, in my online translators it translates to "master" not to "wizard".
I asked MrsShadow to see if there was a word that would be similar to wizard but she could not come up with a direct version either.

Offline calmissile

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 03:54:31 PM »
Interesting, in my online translators it translates to "master" not to "wizard".
I asked MrsShadow to see if there was a word that would be similar to wizard but she could not come up with a direct version either.

Thanks,

Another one that sort of threw me for a loop was the translation to Pope.
It apparently means father (at least with this translator).

Вторая сестра родная по папе.
(flag:uk) The second sister native on the Pope.

When I asked her who was the Pope, she said father.

Edit:  I just checked on another translator and it translated to 'daddy'.  I guess some of these quirks are just characteristics of the specific translator.   The program "Skype Translate" is so fast and conveneint that I quit using the cut and paste ones.  I guess I will start cross referencing strange word translations to another translator.  Thanks for the input.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 03:59:50 PM by calmissile »
Doug (Calmissile)

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541329
Total Topics: 20861