It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Apartment in Russia  (Read 14104 times)

Offline KenInUtah

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
Apartment in Russia
« on: January 27, 2015, 03:24:08 PM »
Hi guys!

I'm new here but have an interesting question.  My Russian fiancee is coming here to the US to marry me but is only going to rent her apartment in Moscow, not sell it.  Why?  We won't be going there to live ever!  Is it some sort of safety net or is it a Red Flag?

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
Re: Apartment in Russia
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 03:30:08 PM »
If you consider that a red flag, you should not be marrying.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline KenInUtah

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 03:32:16 PM »
Its not that I consider it a Red Flag, its just something I am asking about

Offline Muzh

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 03:39:56 PM »
If you are asking, you don't trust this lady. Ergo, red flag.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline KenInUtah

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 03:41:57 PM »
Geez guys, it is a question.  Has anyone had this situation.  I cannot be sure about everything in life

Offline LiveFromUkraine

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 03:43:50 PM »
Geez guys, it is a question.  Has anyone had this situation.  I cannot be sure about everything in life

Do you have plans on putting this lovely lady's name on your house deed before she comes to marry you?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 03:47:19 PM by LiveFromUkraine »

Offline KenInUtah

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 03:50:13 PM »
I have an apartment.  She has seen it

Offline JayH

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 03:51:58 PM »

ken--you are not giving enough information to allow wider opinion to be offered--really-- a lot more background needs to be known.
 :) :welcome:
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline Hammer2722

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 03:53:00 PM »
To answer your question seems everyone else just seems to want to make smart ass comments, its quite normal for FSU women to keep their apts even after leaving their country. My girlfriend came to USA on a visa lottery and still has two apts in Minsk she rents out.
every ship can be a minesweeper at least once...

Offline LiveFromUkraine

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 03:57:00 PM »
To answer your question seems everyone else just seems to want to make smart ass comments, its quite normal for FSU women to keep their apts even after leaving their country. My girlfriend came to USA on a visa lottery and still has two apts in Minsk she rents out.

Ah, the savior to the rescue.

This dude is asking if it is a red flag for this women to sell off her assets and move across the world to be with this guy while this dude hasn't mentioned what he is doing for her.  He can walk away without any monetary damage while she could be financially destroyed.

What I don't understand is why this isn't common sense for her to want to keep the apartment.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 04:15:27 PM by LiveFromUkraine »

Offline Chicagoguy

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 03:57:30 PM »
My wife keeps her flat in Russia in case she ever has to return home if I die or for some reason it all falls through here. She asks me "where will I live ?" She is too old to work but would have some $ from me and might not want to stay in U.S.

Russia is still her country. Yet she at times does consider selling it. Maybe just rent it for a few years. I stayed in a rental in Moscow one time and owner was in U.S. and rents it out and her mother keeps income.

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 04:02:24 PM »
Ken, it's not a red flag. Unless of course you had some idea to liquidate it. Then that's you raising a red flag to her. If she can rent it out and generate an income with it, why not?

My advice, forget about her apartment for now. Work on the marriage and helping her to transition into her new surroundings. The time will eventually come when the apartment needs to be dealt with. For now, it's hers and hers to do with as she sees fit

Offline KenInUtah

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 04:19:23 PM »
Thank You, Faux Pas. THAT is good advice

Offline calmissile

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 04:27:07 PM »
Agree with Hammer and Faux Pas,

She probably wants the security in the event the marriage does not work out.  It's reasonable for her to keep her apartment until she is comfortable with selling it or at least the two of you to decide whether to rent it out or use for a vacation home.  My wife has two apartments and commercial properties that we are sitting on until sometime in the future.

I know the smart ass answers don't help newbies, but best to get used to it here.   ;D
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline KenInUtah

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 04:34:50 PM »
Thanks all.  I don't need the smart ass comments.  I was just asking if it was common.  If it is, which from you guys it sounds like it is, then I'm fine with it.  As for what I am doing...everything in regards to $$$, paperwork, travel arrangements, shipping...I hope that answers your question LFU.  I'm not asking her for a penny, not to come here, not for the visa, not for the wedding she picks...nothing

Offline LiveFromUkraine

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 04:43:28 PM »
Thanks all.  I don't need the smart ass comments.  I was just asking if it was common.  If it is, which from you guys it sounds like it is, then I'm fine with it.  As for what I am doing...everything in regards to $$$, paperwork, travel arrangements, shipping...I hope that answers your question LFU.  I'm not asking her for a penny, not to come here, not for the visa, not for the wedding she picks...nothing

Ken, that is nothing in the grand scheme of things.  You will have someone who will be completely dependent on you.   Try to imagine swapping roles and you going to live in Russia having to completely rely on her.  Would you want to keep your house or sell it before you even go there?

You can pass these off as smart ass comments but your line of thinking is way off and you need to understand why.  You are obviously thinking of yourself here otherwise you could see why she wants to keep her place.  At least until some time has passed where she was more established in America.

Now, if we had all said it was a red flag, what would you have done?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 04:46:19 PM by LiveFromUkraine »

Offline KenInUtah

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 04:52:05 PM »
I was just asking if this was normal.  I get the reason why.  Relax.  I didn't come here to be judged, I just had a question.  In the big scheme of things, your opinion means nothing.  I just wanted to ask something.

Offline ML

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 04:54:18 PM »
Apartments, houses, etc., are two things:

1) a home

2) an investment asset

Whether to sell or rent out an unused apartment, house, etc., is an investment decision.

Need to run a financial analysis to determine what course of action  to take.

This analysis will involve predicting the future values for a lot of variables: rental income, maintenance expenses, fire and war risks, taxes, opportunity cost (what rate of return the sales proceeds could earn in an alternative investment), etc., etc.

It's what I do . . . but I have no info on the values of the variables in Russia . . . and, in any event, have no time to do such.

But no automatic red flag to want to keep an investment asset.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 04:56:50 PM »
You also specifically asked, in your first post, if this was a red flag.  If you are thinking this way on the eve of your marriage, it is not a good sign, IMHO, and I am not being a smart ass about it.

Hi guys!

I'm new here but have an interesting question.  My Russian fiancee is coming here to the US to marry me but is only going to rent her apartment in Moscow, not sell it.  Why?  We won't be going there to live ever!  Is it some sort of safety net or is it a Red Flag?

After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Muzh

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2015, 04:56:59 PM »
Ken, it's not a red flag. Unless of course you had some idea to liquidate it. Then that's you raising a red flag to her. If she can rent it out and generate an income with it, why not?

My advice, forget about her apartment for now. Work on the marriage and helping her to transition into her new surroundings. The time will eventually come when the apartment needs to be dealt with. For now, it's hers and hers to do with as she sees fit

Egg xatly what I said.  ;)
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline LiveFromUkraine

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2015, 04:57:29 PM »
I was just asking if this was normal.  I get the reason why.  Relax.  I didn't come here to be judged, I just had a question.  In the big scheme of things, your opinion means nothing.  I just wanted to ask something.

Asking if it was normal and asking if it is a red flag are very different.  Oh, man, I am more than relaxed so don't worry your little heart.  I am not the person asking for advice about my fiancee's intentions so there is nothing for me to be upset about. 

Offline Muzh

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2015, 05:02:36 PM »

Ken, that is nothing in the grand scheme of things.  You will have someone who will be completely dependent on you.   Try to imagine swapping roles and you going to live in Russia having to completely rely on her.  Would you want to keep your house or sell it before you even go there?

You can pass these off as smart ass comments but your line of thinking is way off and you need to understand why.  You are obviously thinking of yourself here otherwise you could see why she wants to keep her place.  At least until some time has passed where she was more established in America.

Now, if we had all said it was a red flag, what would you have done?

The man is blind.

Another statistic.

Offline LiveFromUkraine

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2015, 05:07:38 PM »

The man is blind.

Another statistic.

I'm trying to understand why people think the responses were simply smart ass comments.  Red flag questions are about intent and the responses addressed that.  Damned if you do...  haha

Offline Muzh

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2015, 05:08:53 PM »

I'm trying to understand why people think the responses were simply smart ass comments.  Red flag questions are about intent and the responses addressed that.  Damned if you do...  haha

As we say back home, there's no worse blind than the one who will not open his eyes.

Offline Gator

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2015, 05:44:22 PM »
I agree with the general opinion that keeping her flat is normal for a RW. Besides the security blanket, Russians consider real estate their best investment opportunity. 

Today's market is perhaps changing this perception.  I doubt his fianceé would receive much in dollars from selling today, even in Moscow, especially compared to what she would have received a year ago.  A better time to sell could be 5-10 years from now when Putin has been eliminated or constrained.   Meanwhile, she is receiving rental income.  BTW, Utah remember to declare the income on your 1040. 

There is the issue that one day soon Putin may stop the flight of money from Russia.  So if his fianceé  wanted the money, I am not sure what financial advice I would give regarding whether to sell and when. 

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541334
Total Topics: 20861
Most Online Today: 2843
Most Online Ever: 12701