It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Americans in Kyiv  (Read 2851 times)

Offline cameraguymn

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Americans in Kyiv
« on: November 08, 2021, 03:41:07 PM »
Google says there are 181 American staff at the embassy so we might guess there could be up to 500 or so Americans from family members of those 181 staff.

What's your guess of American ex pats living in Kyiv or maybe there are numbers out there already.

Offline ML

• Trips: > 10
Re: Americans in Kyiv
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2021, 04:21:50 PM »
Google says there are 181 American staff at the embassy so we might guess there could be up to 500 or so Americans from family members of those 181 staff.

What's your guess of American ex pats living in Kyiv or maybe there are numbers out there already.

No idea of totals.
But I met 4 mid 30s aged USA gals at the Kyiv Opera House (although I only go for Ballets) who worked at embassy.

They sat behind me and the Ukrainian gal I was with.
They spoke how all the Ukrainian families they visited with had mayo in everything.

I said:  Yes, I know.

Later my Ukrainian gal spoke harshly to me saying: I rarely ever use mayo.

I had a hard time talking my way out of that situation!!
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2021, 04:48:22 PM »
I would guess thousands.  A lot of Americans in Kyiv tend to be young, and are working for NGOs/charities/doing missionary work, etc.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline cameraguymn

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2021, 05:51:52 PM »
I met a few guys living there working remotely. I heard of some church groups from America. Yeah I would venture to guess a few thousand for sure.

Offline ML

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2021, 04:27:41 PM »
Just remembering that I typically met one or more (previously unknown) USA folks in almost every city I visited around the world.

Once I was at McDonalds in Kharkiv alone in the middle of the day.
There was an oriental guy in the line behind me with a Ukrainian gal.

I found a seat at a table with a couple of locals who soon left.
The oriental guy came around looking for an empty table and found none.

I motioned for them to sit with me.  He said 'thanks' in perfect English.
After his gal had arrived and sat down, I said:
So you speak English ?
He said: yes, I have lived there for 15 years or so and am now a citizen.

We spoke for awhile, and then it was revealed that we had gone to the same university (U of Iowa . . . one of my schools).

He was born and raised in Taiwan and said he had been married to a famous movie star there.  Well I don't know about that, although he showed me her picture.  His parents had a lot of money, which  I believed because it is quite common for young Taiwan folks living and going to university in USA.

And for more coincidences, he was assigned in Kharkiv for several months  installing computer software for a Ukrainian bank.  I was also there working with a Ukrainian bank (not the same bank) to set up a correspondent relationship with a USA bank. 

He invited me over to his apartment which was quite lavish.  He wanted to get together with my gal . . . but I was meeting with several gals (WMVM) and thought his gal would 'spill the beans,' so I declined.  He understood.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 04:38:18 PM by ML »
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541019
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2385
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 9
Guests: 2202
Total: 2211

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 06:44:55 AM

Re: Arctic Blast hit hard in most areas of USA by 2tallbill
Today at 06:36:29 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:57:04 PM

Re: Plumber earnings by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 09:37:55 PM

Plumber earnings by ML
Yesterday at 07:49:26 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:17:08 PM