It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: American/Western Companies in Russia  (Read 4957 times)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
American/Western Companies in Russia
« on: March 11, 2022, 03:48:54 PM »
Yale University's School of Management has an updated list of the American/Western companies conducting business in Russia. The list shows which of those companies have stopped/paused business activities in Russia and which companies continue. You can find the list at this link -> http://som.yale.edu/story/2022/over-300-companies-have-withdrawn-russia-some-remain

I can no longer maintain a clear conscience if I spend a single $ with any of those companies continuing to conduct business in Russia knowing that some portion of that $ goes to Russia's evil war in Ukraine. Active and passive actions may be taken with the companies on the list. For those who feel strongly, contact the company in whatever manner you are able and pressure them to stop conducting business with Russia's evil regime. One could also contact your legislators to be sure that business contracts are not awarded to organizations complicit in the killing and maiming of innocent children. For those less motivated, even the small choice to turn your $ away from any organization doing business in Russia will help over time, and your conscience won't be haunted.

Offline Bee Farmer

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: None (yet)
Re: American/Western Companies in Russia
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2022, 06:23:40 PM »
We can add Meest to the list of businesses that are not doing business with Russia or Belarus.

According to the Meest website:

Meest suspends the delivery of parcels by plane and by ship to Russia, Belarus, and by ship to Moldova.

http://us.meest.com/news/company-news/escalation-of-war-in-ukraine-operational-update

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2022, 03:33:00 PM »
How reliable would Kaspersky Internet Security be.. do we think?
~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Online krimster2

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2022, 04:11:02 PM »
i’m glad ya’ll are takin such an interest in the Soviet/Russian Bioweapons industry!
Pravda!
Let me first disclose, that there are things I can tell ‘ya, things I can’t tell ya, and lastly, things I can’t tell ya that I can’t tell ‘ya, hmmmm hmmmmmm hashahahaha
(touches finger to nose)…

so for a necessary (but unfortunately dated background)  please read:

Biohazard: The Chilling True Story of the Largest Covert Biological Weapons Program in the World--Told from Inside by the Man Who Ran It Paperback – April 11, 2000 by Ken Alibek

And be prepared to have your mind totally blown!!
amazing at the sheer amount of human effort that went into the largest bioweapon production program in the freakin world, that took risks that no western organization would ever dare to do,
the Soviets brute-forced science to yield the deadliest weapons the world has ever seen

if you ever go to tashkent, oozebeckistan, you can take a connecting flite West on a little twin engine Anatov to “Nucus”, also known as “mucus” and “nuke us”, 

turbo-props are kinda fun aircraft, this is “nostalgee” flyting at nearly it’s best, honestly only thing better to fly in for this affect is a Russian Antonov An-2, which are still around in various places, especially places like these…
when I die, I hope I fly up to heaven in one of these…da…

anyhow, after you get to Nucus, you hire a local driver to take you north to Vozrozhdeniya (Resurrection!) Island known locally as just "Voz"

and you know that with a name like that, that this place is gonna be REAL special, am I right??

now be forewarned of the following:
1. your driver will charge you a sh:tload of money for his service
2. he will under no circumstance stay over night
3. if you stay there more than a couple of days, you’re going to die of pulmonary anthrax
less and less locals die from this now, cuz they wised the “hell up” and avoid this place like the “if you’ll pardon the expression” plague…

after you go to Israel and get BioThraxed and buy some comfortable light weight repirators for the trip, then it’s time to goto mother Russia
and this is after slam dunking some major, major deals in Tel Aviv no less

anyway, long story short, the North part of the island is where the Russians disposed of everything
go there, dig about half a meter below the soil, with gloves and a small scoop, take a couple of teaspoons of soil and put them in an airtight container…

you will have about 1,000 viable spores of Anthrax per gram of soil
Soviet Anthrax was roughly 10 times as deadly as the “Ames strain” of Anthrax, which was the kind used in the “Ameritrax” terror campaign, maybe about an ounce in total...
Ameritrax was produced by one individual on a desktop, from a sample of Ames strain of Anthrax which casme from Sarita, Texas, not far from the site of a former WWII POW Camp that was used to hold non-german, mostly Polish and Ukrainian prisoners who were captured in France during WWII, for some reason they kept these Ost troops separate from the Germans, Sartita is a really flat, desolate place, those Carpathian malchiky would've hated it there...

« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 04:38:30 PM by krimster2 »

Offline Intrepid Traveler

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2022, 05:51:17 PM »
This CNN article "Russia's richest businessman tells Putin: Don't take us back to 1917" may be of interest. A brief excerpt follows below. Follow the prior link for the complete article.

London (CNN Business) – Russia's richest businessman has warned the Kremlin against confiscating assets of companies that have fled in the wake of the invasion of Ukraine, saying such a step would set the country back more than 100 years.

Vladimir Potanin, president of metals giant Norilsk Nickel (NILSY) and its biggest shareholder, said that Russia risked returning to the tumultuous days of the 1917 revolution if it slammed the door on Western companies and investors. He urged the Russian government to proceed with extreme caution regarding the seizure of assets.

"Firstly, it would take us back a hundred years, to 1917, and the consequences of such a step — global distrust of Russia on the part of investors — we would experience for many decades," he said in a message posted on Norilsk Nickel's Telegram account on Thursday.

Offline Lily

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2022, 08:23:57 AM »
I am so glad that I have managed to leave Russia 11 years ago.

It would have been no job for me now.
Da, da, Canada; Nyet, nyet, Soviet!

Offline ML

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2022, 08:28:44 AM »

Yes, thankfully some serendipity happens in our lives.

One of my friends here in USA reminded us that purchasing the townhouse in Ireland many years ago turned out to be quite helpful to our Ukrainian family members who are going to live there in the near future.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Jumper1

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2022, 09:20:41 AM »

Good to see yiu back Lily

Offline Patagonie

• >25 travels
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2022, 09:48:50 AM »

Hi Lily, good to see you.
"Je glissais through the paper wall, an angel in the hand, s taboy. I lay on the floor, surgi des chants de Maldoror, je mix l'intégrale de mes nuits de crystal, i belong to the festival.

Offline Lily

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2022, 09:59:26 AM »
Good to see all of you guys as well!  8)

These days I often think what might have happened to my Russian colleagues who I worked with in large international companies in Moscow.
No contacts with them. At least many of them were Muscovites owning their apartment in Moscow, and did not need to pay a high private rent like i did.
Da, da, Canada; Nyet, nyet, Soviet!

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2023, 05:03:01 AM »
I am sure the list goes well beyond those posted.  Our biggest international distributor was in Russia and of course we cut off everything.  Of course we are small and it was only around 150K per year that we cut off.  I have to wonder if things ever get back to normal if our former customer will still be in business. I appaciate the list and would do my best to not supoort any company doing business there.

It was nice to see Lily post.  I always enjoy hearing from our long-lost members. 

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2023, 08:52:36 AM »
I am sure the list goes well beyond those posted.  Our biggest international distributor was in Russia and of course we cut off everything.  Of course we are small and it was only around 150K per year that we cut off.  I have to wonder if things ever get back to normal if our former customer will still be in business. I appaciate the list and would do my best to not supoort any company doing business there.

It was nice to see Lily post.  I always enjoy hearing from our long-lost members.

China and Russia are the number 1 and 3 potash producers in the world. Canada (number 2)
has worked hard increasing production and capacity, they could end up being the number 1 
exporter in a year or so.
FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2023, 03:58:23 PM »
Fertilizer was in short supply for a while due to the shortage of Potash.  That has loosened up now but prices are up which is good for those producers in Canada.  Thanks for the info Bill. 

Offline Shadow

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2023, 02:12:02 AM »

That depends on if you decided to cut off or that it was due to political sanctions.If it was decided by you, expect not to return.
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2023, 04:01:27 PM »
That's a good point Shadow.  I don't think they feel there was anything personal in ceasing to do business with them.  Had we decided to continue doing business with them I think it would have been challenging.  There are changes to the banking system that make it more difficult to wire money to or from Russia and the export brokers are hesitant to ship containers there.  There are not a lot of companies that make what we do.  I only have a half dozen competitors in the USA. 

Shiping overseas has been challenging anyway but is getting better.  Before all the covid stull a container from China took 45 days and cost $ 2,500 +/-   Last year it took 6 months and cost $ 12,000 to $ 15,000.   It is now getting close to normal. 

Online krimster2

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2023, 08:32:59 AM »
wait...
are you saying the inflation was the result of Covid, and not Hunter Biden's laptop
and that it's global and not just the USA
but Fox said...
oh, I get it now

Offline Shadow

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2023, 01:27:25 AM »
That's a good point Shadow.  I don't think they feel there was anything personal in ceasing to do business with them.  Had we decided to continue doing business with them I think it would have been challenging.  There are changes to the banking system that make it more difficult to wire money to or from Russia and the export brokers are hesitant to ship containers there.  There are not a lot of companies that make what we do.  I only have a half dozen competitors in the USA. 

Shiping overseas has been challenging anyway but is getting better.  Before all the covid stull a container from China took 45 days and cost $ 2,500 +/-   Last year it took 6 months and cost $ 12,000 to $ 15,000.   It is now getting close to normal.
I have a very od example, not related to the current situation. When there was a financial crisis under Yeltsin we were selling sports apparel to Russia. There was a sizeable order, payment usually went through Gibraltar. Our client had the money, they were the "new Russians". However one sizeable order had to be shipped but they could not get the money out without the order being in in customs in Russia. As the order was at the time a risk for the company if not paid, we decided to keep it in the warehouse.We lost the customer, but did not lose money. We saw them on the trade fairs regularly after that, so they did recover.
At  the time I did not have the knowledge of Russian peoplke I have now. Decision might have been different and it could have been very profitable.  But sometimes you have to play safe.
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
American/Western Companies in Russia
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2023, 01:05:34 PM »
That depends on if you decided to cut off or that it was due to political sanctions.If it was decided by you, expect not to return.

I still have a daughter, grand daughter and a bunch of inlaws that live there.
Recently we had a big medical scare with Mama, I sent them money to pay for
doctors and medicine.

I sent the money through my wife's Russian girls network. It's more reliable than money gram
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 01:11:54 PM by 2tallbill »
FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Online krimster2

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2023, 01:29:22 PM »
http://www.unionpayintl.com/en/

depending on where they live in Russia
you can get them a unionpay debit card
unionpay is a chinese bank NOT owned by Hunter Biden's Laptop
and you can depost from USA and spend in Russia
perfect for SHTF evacuation from Crimea for relatives

getting dollars might be a problem now and will have to receive rubles

Offline LAman

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2023, 03:20:42 PM »
http://www.unionpayintl.com/en/

depending on where they live in Russia
you can get them a unionpay debit card
unionpay is a chinese bank NOT owned by Hunter Biden's Laptop
and you can depost from USA and spend in Russia
perfect for SHTF evacuation from Crimea for relatives

getting dollars might be a problem now and will have to receive rubles

Very few places take unionpay card in Russia. Doesn't work for airlines, hotel sites, trains, buses, ATM's, and most restaurants. Maybe once or twice I saw online someone accepting unionpay card. It is next to useless.
Recently got 81 for usd. Cash is king.
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Online krimster2

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2023, 04:12:23 PM »
comrad, some of the animals are more equal than the others
for example if you have a Gazprombank Union Pay card, then you can use it at any Gazprombank in Moscva with no problem....
and you can also book at 4seasons with it, sohto eta problema?
what problem?
if you're sellin dollars, you will have many friends in Russia
DON'T go drinkin with them!!!

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541017
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2385
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 2260
Total: 2271

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:57:04 PM

Re: Plumber earnings by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 09:37:55 PM

Plumber earnings by ML
Yesterday at 07:49:26 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 01:09:03 PM