It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: WM-meets-FSUW films/novels?  (Read 14332 times)

Offline Andrew James

WM-meets-FSUW films/novels?
« on: August 13, 2008, 12:26:12 PM »
Perhaps the most interesting aspect of this site is reading all the narratives regarding people's (mainly men's) experiences in the FSU; accounts which, in a few instances read like good works of fiction (which is not to dispute their factual basis).

Now I see there is a section for submitting such articles. (Perhaps this post belongs there instead?).

I am also interested if people have come across novels/stories and films that explore this phenomena? I have mentioned Paul Greenberg's "Leaving Katya", which struck me as one of the better attempts at characterizing this process and the players involved - albeit from a somewhat negative standpoint. In addition, I have just discovered "Metro Stop Dostoevsky: travels in Russian time", which profiles the friendship between an American and a Russian woman in the FSU. (Whilst not a romance, it still provides some vivid impressions of FSR and its people.)

Wondering if people know of any other fictional material along these lines. Indeed, I am surprised more has not be written on this phenomena in a dramatic sense (especially on the screenplay side of things, with the fairly slight "Birthday Girl" and the even less interesting "A Foreign Affair" being the only movies I can think of).

And has anyone here had anything published or thought of submitting their story/s? Taz's recollections, for example, strike me as a really strong candidate. (As I have said before, his profile of JD is one of the more incisive accounts of how badly this kind of venture can go wrong!)

Offline BdHvA

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: No Selection
Re: WM-meets-FSUW films/novels?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 12:13:54 PM »
BUMP

While an ancient thread there is a film about a French aristocrat who manages to make most of the classic mistakes in Russia (Siberia) and yet still find the love of his life.

Historically there were in the 18th and 19th century a number of relationships between men and women from the East and West. Perhaps the most famous was Catherine the Great who rose to power after deposing her husband as Czar.
Experierence is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you. A. Huxley

Offline cameraguymn

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 02:49:02 PM »
I wonder the marketability of a film based on that kind of relationship. Perhaps with emergence of 90 day fiancee it could fly.

Online krimster2

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 03:11:23 PM »
why watch a movie?
when you can live the experience yourself!
my experiences were FAR better than ANY movie...

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 04:31:41 PM »
I wonder the marketability of a film based on that kind of relationship. Perhaps with emergence of 90 day fiancee it could fly.

90 Day Fiance is popular because of its train wreck quality. 

This post was composed without the aid of google.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 10:51:00 PM »
Any movie wouldn't be representative.

What many of us exclude is the mind numbing boredom / frustration when waiting between dates when on trips and the doubt, confusion and misunderstandings as we adjust to the language and cultural differences and the 'reliance' on the lady in a strange town.

With all the aids we have re translation, now, it was MUCH tougher to communicate 15/20 years ago.  Did that make it more rewarding ?

Offline civi68

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 05:08:29 AM »
Movie: 2 brothers and a bride which is a comedy about two brothers going on a romance tour. Book: Snowdrops which is about a guy that dates a woman who is not all that she seems.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541017
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2385
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 2232
Total: 2242

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:57:04 PM

Re: Plumber earnings by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 09:37:55 PM

Plumber earnings by ML
Yesterday at 07:49:26 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 01:09:03 PM