It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Food reasons Russians are more hardcore than the rest of us  (Read 2305 times)

Offline Larry1

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Food reasons Russians are more hardcore than the rest of us
« on: February 18, 2014, 03:18:54 PM »
10 Food Reasons Russians Are More Hardcore Than The Rest Of Us

With the Winter Olympics in full swing at Sochi, there's been a lot of talk of all things Russian -- from figure skating prodigies to hotel room surveillance. Naturally, we here at HuffPost Taste took that as a cue to start thinking about Russian cuisine.

The Russians have been taking in their fair share of gold medals this Olympic season, and we can't help but wonder if the food has something to do with it. You see, Russian cuisine is shaped by its country's unique landscape -- and Russia is cold, hard and intense (all the makings of a killer athlete, by the way).

Because of its brutal winter and incredibly short summer season, Russian cuisine is one that indulges in fats (you need them to keep warm), has mastered how to preserve summer ingredients (to make it through the less productive months of winter) and celebrates vodka. It is bold -- and, well, pretty hardcore.

You have to be hardcore to make it in Russia, so it's only natural that their food would be so too. Behold, 10 times Russia's food proved that they are way more hardcore than the rest of us could ever hope to be.

Their Insides Are Basically Pickled

Because summers pass by in the blink of an eye and winters drag on forever, pickling is an important part of Russian cuisine. In order to preserve the harvest of the summer, Russians pickle everything they can -- from cabbage to mushrooms to apples to whole tomatoes. And often times they serve these pickled vegetables to accompany vodka drinking, which we think is a great idea.

They Aren't Scared Of A Little Jell-O With Their Meat

We can barely even handle the fact that Jell-O salads exist, let alone accept and celebrate meat Jell-O as a rich part of our cuisine.

[I'm pretty sure the author is talking about holodets; there are photos at the link below.]

They Know That Pancakes Shouldn't Be Restricted To Breakfast

Blinis -- tiny round Russian pancakes -- are served with caviar, jam or sour cream and can be eaten any time of day. (They were traditionally served to celebrate the end of winter.) And syrniki, a sweet quark pancake, are normally enjoyed for breakfast. So many excuses to eat pancakes -- it's great.

Two Words: Dressed Herring (Shuba)

Dressed herring is a layered salad composed of diced salted herring covered with layers of grated boiled vegetables, chopped onions, and it's all covered with beet root and mayonnaise which gives it that striking purple color. INTENSE.

They Eat Straight Up Fat, And Don't Even Think Twice

You are looking at cured slabs of backfat. This. Is. Serious. Salo is sometimes eaten straight up, along with a (much needed) shot of vodka. Other times it's fried and used to top soups (of course). It's a whole lot of pork fat -- and sometimes a little skin.

Dude, Caviar

Russia borders part of the Caspian Sea, where beluga sturgeon -- which produces the costliest and rarest caviar -- swim. Enough said.

They Aren't Scared Of Sour Cream

While we're replacing sour cream with Greek yogurt to be more health conscious, the Russians are still liberally adding it to just about everything. Russians use sour cream to garnish soups, to mix into sauces, and of course, on top of pancakes. They get that it's an instant upgrade to all foods and they aren't scared to use it.

Their Russian Salad Puts Our Potato Salad To Shame

Known as the Olivier salad over there, Russian salad is like US potato salad on steroids. They don't stop at the potatoes, but add pickles (of course), hard-boiled egg and peas. And that's just the base for many, many variations.

They Eat Soup Like It's Their Job

Maybe it's because so many parts of Russia are ice cold or maybe it's because they just know that soup warms the soul like no other dish can, but Russians eat A LOT of soup. They even make a fruit soup for dessert known as kissel.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/18/russian-food_n_4788295.html?utm_hp_ref=food&ir=Food

My tastes don't run to salo, although I would use it to cook with.  I do like pickled vegetables and most other foods on the list.

Online Lily

• Trips: Resident
Re: Food reasons Russians are more hardcore than the rest of us
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 07:54:13 AM »
Watch an American guy trying and commenting on Russian food that his Russian wife brought for him  :clapping: :clapping:

Da, da, Canada; Nyet, nyet, Soviet!

Offline Larry1

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 08:07:21 AM »
I love his reaction beginning at the 13:15 mark, "slimy ... eww... like snot"

Offline Slumba

• Banned Member
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 08:19:44 AM »
I have eaten everything on this list, and more.  Never had a problem with anything, except the pickled tomatoes bought at Bessarabsky market - the acid in the picking juice was very very strong; I found myself draining the tomato before eating and leaving as much juice as I could, behind.
Me gusta ir de compras con mi tarjeta verde...

Online Lily

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 08:40:09 AM »
I laughed my a$$ out at the whole movie!

Loved his comment about the dry fish that was overridden by a bus  :D :D I never liked that fish either.

Watch the Russian men enjoying this fish (scroll to 0:48), sorry no translation.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 08:45:01 AM by Lily »
Da, da, Canada; Nyet, nyet, Soviet!

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541401
Total Topics: 20862