It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: More Bad News for Russia  (Read 1075625 times)

Offline AkMike

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: Resident
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4200 on: February 11, 2016, 08:18:53 PM »
missmoibyone

Tell that to the folks over AT THE Moscow Times. They did the homework not I.  :cluebat:

Offline fathertime

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4201 on: February 11, 2016, 10:31:09 PM »
Clutching at straws...
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

I don't see why a major US news outlet would make up a story about the positives aspects for Russia as the dollar remains strong.  It seems legit to me, the strong dollars remain better than weak ones, since Russia receives a significant amount of them for their oil.  When/if Russia pulls out of this financial quandary, I won't be surprised if they switch their oil sales to a currency other than the dollar, but that will be down the line since for now the dollar is doing them a solid.

Fathertime!   
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4202 on: February 12, 2016, 01:54:19 AM »
Dear Lord, FT.

If the weak ruble is so fantastic for Russia, then why is the Russian government accusing the USA of manipulating world currencies, and especially the ruble, in order to "defeat Russia" (their phrasing)?

Why are more Russians in debt that ever before?
(Moscow Times: Incomes have been falling during Russia's economic slump, and more people than ever are struggling to repay loans. During 2015 the value of overdue loans increased by almost 50 percent to 1.15 trillion rubles ($15 billion).

Did you really write that the US dollar is "doing them a solid?"   :ROFL:

The government, the media, and the average man on the street blames the USA for these things. If they were "doing a solid" then why the hell are Russians so angry about it?
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline fathertime

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4203 on: February 12, 2016, 07:12:34 AM »
Dear Lord, FT.

If the weak ruble is so fantastic for Russia, then why is the Russian government accusing the USA of manipulating world currencies, and especially the ruble, in order to "defeat Russia" (their phrasing)?

I submit this as further evidence....nowhere have I said that the weak ruble is 'fantastic'..this is merely YOU attempting to misstate for affect, as you often do.  I realize that Russia has been overall weakened financially.
I have stated that the dollar being strong is better than the dollar being weak.  Imagine low oil prices AND a weak dollar against currencies such as the Euro.  You may believe that is impossible, but it isn't. 

Did you really write that the US dollar is "doing them a solid?"   :ROFL:

The government, the media, and the average man on the street blames the USA for these things. If they were "doing a solid" then why the hell are Russians so angry about it?

Are you REALLY going to invoke the 'average Russian on the street'?  After mocking the average Russian on the street for the past couple years as being sheep, as his been done here, now you suddenly want to use them as a barometer. Interesting how items like this get manipulated. 

Fathertime!

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4204 on: February 12, 2016, 07:28:42 AM »

Are you REALLY going to invoke the 'average Russian on the street'?  After mocking the average Russian on the street for the past couple years as being sheep, as his been done here, now you suddenly want to use them as a barometer. Interesting how items like this get manipulated. 

Fathertime!

So does the average man on the street in Russian not count in FT world as to what the weak ruble and strong dollar means to "Russia"?

Case in point my MIL. A pensioner, retired school teacher use to living off of $380 a month now living off of what amounts to $80-$90 a month. Would you like to explain to her how much good the strong dollar does for her?

Offline fathertime

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4205 on: February 12, 2016, 09:49:17 AM »
So does the average man on the street in Russian not count in FT world as to what the weak ruble and strong dollar means to "Russia"?

Intentional distortion.  My point was regarding suddenly invoking 'average Russians'. 

Many here discount "Average Russians" as being sheep.  So to NOW invoke their feelings of anger toward the US as evidence as mendeleyev is doing, just seems like a contradiction.  Some claim they are 'ignorant sheep' one minute, but when they can be used as 'useful idiots' to  attempt to make a  point there is no hesitation to trot them out. 

Case in point my MIL. A pensioner, retired school teacher use to living off of $380 a month now living off of what amounts to $80-$90 a month. Would you like to explain to her how much good the strong dollar does for her?

I don't know about your specific example, but I do know that YOU are punching at a strawman.    If the dollar were weak, it would mean the Russian oil sales would buy even less internationally. 

Can you explain why $380 be worth only $80 now?  The ruble has gone from 35-1 on dollar to perhaps 80-1 or less.   That is well LESS than 3 times times difference, whereas your example is near a 5 times difference.

Fathertime!   

Offline ML

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4206 on: February 12, 2016, 10:07:35 AM »
Ochka has Russian boy in her Differential Equations class.
He was telling her yesterday that he wouldn't be able to continue for next semester because his parents can't come up with the USD at the 80 to 1 ratio.
He was pretty emotional and near tears, as he really likes to go to university here.

She gently reminded him that Russia had caused this problem for themselves by invading Crimea and eastern Ukraine.

He said that he and other young folks were not happy with this and other things that Russia was doing.

Don't know how his comment squares with huge approval ratings that Putin gets.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Online Faux Pas

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4207 on: February 12, 2016, 10:07:39 AM »
Intentional distortion.  My point was regarding suddenly invoking 'average Russians'. 

You're a liar but, who's surprised? Not I. I asked you a pertinent and direct question to which you have evaded. If there is distortion, it is yours.

Many here discount "Average Russians" as being sheep.  So to NOW invoke their feelings of anger toward the US as evidence as mendeleyev is doing, just seems like a contradiction.  Some claim they are 'ignorant sheep' one minute, but when they can be used as 'useful idiots' to  attempt to make a  point there is no hesitation to trot them out.

What some here may or may not discount as being sheep is completely irrelevant. Your straw man is noted. Are you saying average Russians do not count, yes or no? What do you refer to as Russia?

I don't know about your specific example, but I do know that YOU are punching at a strawman.    If the dollar were weak, it would mean the Russian oil sales would buy even less internationally. 

Can you explain why $380 be worth only $80 now?  The ruble has gone from 35-1 on dollar to perhaps 80-1 or less.   That is well LESS than 3 times times difference, whereas your example is near a 5 times difference.

I told you all you need to know about my specific example. There is no straw man on my part fatman. You should check the history of the USD vs RUB. My MIL is about as much as average Russian as you can get. The strong dollar you said was doing a solid for Russians. Please, explain how? You are the one shooting your mouth off about a strong dollar helps Russia. Russians aren't Russia in FT's bizzaro world? As usual you don't have a clue as to what you mouth off about.

Offline AkMike

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4208 on: February 12, 2016, 11:23:11 AM »
Add in the 15 + % inflation too.

Online krimster2

• Spouse's Country: Russia
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4209 on: February 12, 2016, 11:41:55 AM »
>Ochka has Russian boy in her Differential Equations class.

maybe he would have enough money to study 'partial differential equations' :)

Offline fathertime

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4210 on: February 12, 2016, 11:44:45 AM »
You're a liar but, who's surprised? Not I. I asked you a pertinent and direct question to which you have evaded. If there is distortion, it is yours.

Yup, you distorted. 
Your question was an effort to change the subject to something I wasn't commenting on.  EVERYBODY knows the Russian on the street is harmed by the dramatic decrease in the value of the Ruble.  That doesn't change the fact that Russia continues to receive DOLLARS for their oil, which does mitigate some of their losses, since the dollar is so powerful against many currencies at the moment.   

I told you all you need to know about my specific example. There is no straw man on my part fatman. 
Yup I'm the "Fatman"
So you GREATLY exaggerate your example...from what can be ascertained.  The Ruble has gone from around 35..to 80 or less...and suddenly the pension is from $380 to $80....yeah that doesn't make sense (yet).. Doesn't that make YOU the liar?  I was, and am willing to discuss rationally, but only with others that do the same....you are often unable do that, but that is your problem.    So far what you said regarding a pension going from $380 to $80 doesn't make sense.   

Fathertime! 

Offline fathertime

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4211 on: February 12, 2016, 12:17:27 PM »
Add in the 15 + % inflation too.

I was reading that the recent inflation rate is actually 9.8% 

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/russia/inflation-cpi

Consumer prices in Russia increased 9.8 percent year-on-year in January of 2016, down from 12.9 percent in the previous month, slightly below market expectations. It was the lowest reading since November of 2014, as cost of......

Fathertime! 

Online Faux Pas

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4212 on: February 12, 2016, 01:45:42 PM »
Yup, you distorted. 
Your question was an effort to change the subject to something I wasn't commenting on.  EVERYBODY knows the Russian on the street is harmed by the dramatic decrease in the value of the Ruble.  That doesn't change the fact that Russia continues to receive DOLLARS for their oil, which does mitigate some of their losses, since the dollar is so powerful against many currencies at the moment.   Yup I'm the "Fatman"
So you GREATLY exaggerate your example...from what can be ascertained.  The Ruble has gone from around 35..to 80 or less...and suddenly the pension is from $380 to $80....yeah that doesn't make sense (yet)..Doesn't that make YOU the liar? I was, and am willing to discuss rationally, but only with others that do the same....you are often unable do that, but that is your problem.    So far what you said regarding a pension going from $380 to $80 doesn't make sense.   

Fathertime!

Nope.

I'll help you. Let's see if you can figure it out.

Russia was receiving dollars for oil when the ruble was at 22-1 USD and the dollar's strength wasn't noticeably different on the world market than it is now.

The figure I used $380- $80/$90 was general but still close. You do your math.

Inflation is a general reaction to a dropping currency.

No you are not willing to discuss or debate anything rationally. You state your narrow-minded opinion or something you read on the net and expect everyone to accept it as fact. You are what one would consider intellectually lazy. A sheeple and natural born follower
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 01:47:16 PM by Faux Pas »

Offline fathertime

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4213 on: February 12, 2016, 02:32:11 PM »
Nope.

I'll help you. Let's see if you can figure it out.

Russia was receiving dollars for oil when the ruble was at 22-1 USD and the dollar's strength wasn't noticeably different on the world market than it is now.

Yup a distortion.   

I looked at the Chart of Ruble to dollar....going back a ways to the year 2000  the LOWEST it has been was 23-1.   That was very brief and a highwater mark, and you cherry pick that moment as a base for comparison.. You really had to contort, and slightly exaggerate to get there. It takes a gymnast to make your story add up. 

No you are not willing to discuss or debate anything rationally. You state your narrow-minded opinion or something you read on the net and expect everyone to accept it as fact. You are what one would consider intellectually lazy. A sheeple and natural born follower
The reason you say this is because it defines YOU...It has always been obvious you think of yourself highly/differently, but you are mistaken.  You have never shown any real grasp of complicated issues. 

I do not expect people to accept what I say as fact.  I'd prefer points to not be distorted, but I realize that is par for the course.   When a point is made that makes sense I'm agreeable to changing an opinion...YOU on the other hand become irate when contradicted in practically way, it is always amusing to watch your predictable reaction.

Fathertime!   

Online Faux Pas

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4214 on: February 12, 2016, 02:47:53 PM »
Yup a distortion.   

I looked at the Chart of Ruble to dollar....going back a ways to the year 2000  the LOWEST it has been was 23-1.   That was very brief and a highwater mark, and you cherry pick that moment as a base for comparison.. You really had to contort, and slightly exaggerate to get there. It takes a gymnast to make your story add up. 

I've already tired of doing your work for you. You lazy bastard. Our discussion spawned from what was my MIL's standard of living. You remember? $380- $80/$90 per month living allowance? I didn't contort anything. This arose from the "solid" the strong dollar was doing Russia. Have you been check for dementia? Yes, she has lived through $22-1 USD/ruble and now 80-1. She's 84 years old.  What exactly did I contort? Add that up

The reason you say this is because it defines YOU...It has always been obvious you think of yourself highly/differently, but you are mistaken.  You have never shown any real grasp of complicated issues. 

I do not expect people to accept what I say as fact.  I'd prefer points to not be distorted, but I realize that is par for the course.   When a point is made that makes sense I'm agreeable to changing an opinion...YOU on the other hand become irate when contradicted in practically way, it is always amusing to watch your predictable reaction.

Whatever you say  :rolleyes:

Offline fathertime

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4215 on: February 12, 2016, 04:17:31 PM »
I've already tired of doing your work for you. You lazy bastard. 
Take a nap then, and I liked being called Fatman more than a lazy bastard.

Our discussion spawned from what was my MIL's standard of living. You remember? $380- $80/$90 per month living allowance? I didn't contort anything. This arose from the "solid" the strong dollar was doing Russia. Have you been check for dementia? Yes, she has lived through $22-1 USD/ruble and now 80-1. She's 84 years old.  What exactly did I contort? Add that up

I have added it up.  Even using the numbers on the extreme ends they don't add up.  23-1 vs todays 78-1 are pretty much the extreme ends since 2000. 

The basis of the discussion was your intentional misrepresentation of my earlier point.  Many here mock the average "Russian on the street" except when if they are displaying emotions to be exploited...then suddenly they are a fountain of knowledge.  I was pointing out the hypocrisy with certain posters positions. If the Russian people are to be mocked as 'sheep' then it would be hypocritical to all of sudden paint their viewpoints as god's word when you like what they are saying.     I wasn't saying that Russians aren't suffering or paying a price for recent events....but it is interesting to watch how some attempted to pin that position on me. 

Fathertime!   

Offline ML

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4216 on: February 12, 2016, 04:19:09 PM »
>Ochka has Russian boy in her Differential Equations class.

maybe he would have enough money to study 'partial differential equations' :)

I don't know if that course is any cheaper.

I thought it was for those who weren't smart enough to do full differential equations.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline AkMike

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4217 on: February 12, 2016, 07:43:26 PM »
In the newest poll by the Levada Center, who usually reports an increase for the Huilomeisters popularity now has reported a sharp drop. It was up in the lower to mid 80's IIRC Support now is only from 53% of the population. They must be noticing empty refrigerators and high prices due to the sanctions.  :rolleyes:

Offline sleepycat

• Trips: 4 - 10
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4218 on: February 12, 2016, 10:24:49 PM »
  I was, and am willing to discuss rationally, but only with others that do the same....

Name ONE (1) poster here that takes what you write here seriously...

Offline fathertime

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4219 on: February 12, 2016, 10:41:10 PM »
Name ONE (1) poster here that takes what you write here seriously...

What is for certain, is that your posts are always meaningless, and are not taken seriously.  :D

Fathertime!

Offline msmobyone

• patriotism is the last vestige of fools, but hey
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4220 on: February 13, 2016, 05:17:05 AM »
missmoibyone

Tell that to the folks over AT THE Moscow Times. They did the homework not I.  :cluebat:

It's ok, AkMike

we can all make mistakes and it was very gracious of you to defer, without any childish name calling...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 03:35:02 PM by msmobyone »
Please excuse the Curmudgeon in my posts ..he will be cured by being reunited with his loved one ;)

Offline AkMike

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4221 on: February 13, 2016, 12:40:22 PM »
That's not my style. Name calling is childish.

But I only talked about the shown info at that news source.

Offline alex330

• Trips: 4 - 10
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4222 on: February 13, 2016, 01:58:31 PM »
I am involved in numerous online marketing groups. Freelancers, copywriters, SEO, web design, etc. People who make a living remotely online.

As of late there have been complaints from a number of people who are either Russian or living in Russia. It is starting to affect their income.

"I'm a Russian resident who's a native English speaker. Recently, the Russian currency has devalued by ~250%, so I'm looking for online jobs that pay in dollars... Specifically, I've been making lots of pitches on Upwork, and I've run into a pretty big problem...

NOBODY WANTS TO HIRE MY RUSSIAN ASS"

Offline AkMike

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4223 on: February 13, 2016, 04:35:45 PM »
Hmmm tell the huilomeister that his decisions suck?   :rolleyes:

Offline AkMike

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4224 on: February 14, 2016, 11:43:28 PM »
Some number of days ago Russian freight was banned from Polish lands, Now Ukraine has halted Russian freight transport also in areas with more to come. Of course they blocked UA freight is a tit for tat. Turkey has them blocked on the southern route also. I suppose that they can take a log route thru Finland but they're getting tense there too
 Russia is almost blocked from EU access. Isolated....
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 11:49:55 PM by AkMike »

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541000
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1891
Total: 1902

+-Recent Posts

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM