It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: More Bad News for Ukraine  (Read 21846 times)

Offline jone

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: More Bad News for Ukraine
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2016, 05:21:06 PM »
But you never watched National: Treasure Book of Secrets.  In it, they said that until after the Civil War it was always:  The United States are ....  making sure that everyone knew that the States took precedence over the federal government. 

Cute little history fact.  And thank you for indulging me.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2016, 05:24:54 PM »
But you never watched National: Treasure Book of Secrets.  In it, they said that until after the Civil War it was always:  The United States are ....  making sure that everyone knew that the States took precedence over the federal government. 

In which case, what was the point of federation?  People might just as well have remained citizens of Virginia, Massachusetts, or wherever.

Cute little history fact.  And thank you for indulging me.

You're welcome.

Offline jone

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2016, 05:25:57 PM »
Smart Azz. 

You would pull up two states that weren't states at all.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline JayH

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2016, 06:03:33 PM »

The ongoing "peace" in the east continues to be violated.

Kyiv records 14 cases of shelling in Donbas

Positions of Ukrainian troops in Donbas were shelled 14 times on Nov. 16, the Kyiv headquarters of the military operation in eastern Ukraine said.

The separatists repeatedly shelled Vodyane, Opytne, Novotroyitske, Pavlopil, Krymske, Berdyanske and Avdiyivka using 82mm and 120mm mortars, grenade launchers, large-caliber machineguns and small arms throughout the day, the press center for the headquarters said on Facebook.

A sniper also fired at Pavlopil and Novotroyitske.
http://www.kyivpost.com/ukraine-politics/kyiv-records-14-cases-shelling-donbas.html
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline ML

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2016, 08:36:00 PM »
Okay.  The United States is?   Or:
The United States are?

When a proper name is involved, the fact that there are some plural components is of no consequence.

References using this proper name are to the single object.
Hence . . . the United States is the greatest country.

It might help to think of other examples, e.g. General Motors.

We should know it would be wrong to say that General Motors are a well known auto manufacturer.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2016, 05:18:40 PM »
When a proper name is involved, the fact that there are some plural components is of no consequence.

References using this proper name are to the single object.
Hence . . . the United States is the greatest country.

It might help to think of other examples, e.g. General Motors.

We should know it would be wrong to say that General Motors are a well known auto manufacturer.

And yet people still use the plural conjunction for singular names in such cases, without it sounding too weird.  For example, "Chevrolet ARE a well-known ..."

I don't know about the USA, but this is actually quite common usage here.

Offline SANDRO43

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2016, 05:40:50 PM »
And yet people still use the plural conjunction for singular names in such cases, without it sounding too weird.  For example, "Chevrolet ARE a well-known ..."I don't know about the USA, but this is actually quite common usage here.
Are you sure they don't say ChevroletS, or RollS, FordS, ToyotaS, FerrariS, etc.?
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline jone

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2016, 05:43:19 PM »
Are you sure they don't say ChevroletS, or RollS, FordS, ToyotaS, FerrariS, etc.?

Ever the proper linguist!   :clapping:

Offline JayH

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2016, 06:01:52 PM »

RollS    is Rolls Royce -never seen spelt with a capital S !!!

translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline AkMike

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2016, 07:36:41 PM »
Ever the proper linguist!   :clapping:

Perhaps,sometimes a cunning one too.   :rolleyes:

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2016, 06:00:07 AM »
RollS is Rolls Royce -never seen spelt with a capital S !!!
I know, I wrote SAY, not WRITE :wallbash:. I put the S there for emphasis :rolleyes:.
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2016, 05:00:34 PM »

I'm quite sure.

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2016, 06:06:19 PM »
I'm quite sure.
Maybe because for a long time there was only ONE Chevy in NZ ;D?

Milan's "Duomo"

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2016, 06:09:19 PM »
Maybe because for a long time there was only ONE Chevy in NZ ;D?

Sure - just like there was ONE Thunderbird, ONE Mustang, ONE Cadillac...

Offline Stirlitz

• Commercial Member
  • Helping People Understand Each Other
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2016, 04:29:54 AM »
There is a lot of bad news for Ukraine but the worst news takes 99.9%.

The Russian Federation/USSR/Russian Empire/Muscovy/Golden Horde/Mordor (whatever you call it) still exists.

By the way, this is bad news for the entire free world, not just Ukraine. It was bad news for Ukraine in 1240 and in 1654, Poland in 1772 and 1939, Crimea in 1783, China in 18xx, Baltic states and Finland in 1940, Hungary in 1956, Israel in 1960s through 1980s, Czechoslovakia in 1968, Afghanistan in 1979, Moldova in 1992, Georgia in 1992 and 2008, Syria in 2015 to name just a few...
Igor Kalinin
Ukraine Guide Interpreter

Offline papakota

• Banned Member
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2016, 09:28:06 PM »
I find that this forum is overall very pro-Ukrainian and that's okay.
It's not okay. A forum like this must be neutral. It's a forum mostly dedicated to dating women in former USSR. Why should it be a pro Ukrainian one? There are a few ethnic Ukrainians that live in the West who are loud and very anti Russian. I said it's a good idea to visit Ukraine, they said it's bad idea to visit Russia and so on and so forth. Those guys are trolling this great forum and turning it into another place for pointless political arguments about nothing.

Offline JayH

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2016, 11:17:23 PM »
It's not okay. A forum like this must be neutral. It's a forum mostly dedicated to dating women in former USSR. Why should it be a pro Ukrainian one? There are a few ethnic Ukrainians that live in the West who are loud and very anti Russian. I said it's a good idea to visit Ukraine, they said it's bad idea to visit Russia and so on and so forth. Those guys are trolling this great forum and turning it into another place for pointless political arguments about nothing.

Rubbish.
Neutral? Like you? What a joke.
Let me make a couple of points as to why ludicrous posts like you consistently make are totally relevent-even when politically charged.

Any guy(or girl) who is considering any association with anyone from the FSU needs to understand the degree that the craziness of the ideas you have expressed  makes that person an unacceptable future partner.
For guys --be warned-- if  some crazy stupid Russian bitch believes the sort of crap promoted by this guy--run and then run faster & keep running!

For guys heading to Ukraine -- understanding that expressing ideas like this guy keeps pushing will see the door shut in your face -or worse!   Russia and Putin is on the nose big time in Ukraine.
This is no light hearted left or right discussion--this is a brutal reality of people being killed,maimed,injured- a displaced people humanitarian crisis.Many have relatives and friends with extreme hurt as a result of Putin and Russia's actions-there is nothing nice about it.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 11:44:39 PM by JayH »

Offline Bounder

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2016, 01:38:08 AM »
To say that this guy is unacceptable as a future partner because you are in disagreement on what can be a highly charged issue is way over the top. 

Offline JayH

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2016, 01:41:23 AM »
To say that this guy is unacceptable as a future partner because you are in disagreement on what can be a highly charged issue is way over the top.

No -- it shows the brain has a problem with the wiring. Or maybe a change of medication is needed. :cluebat:

Offline Bounder

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2016, 01:56:38 AM »
Strange way to think about anyone who has a different view than you.

Offline msmob

« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2016, 03:17:51 AM »
JayH

Do you know anything about folks viewpoints changing as a result of a change of situ

Before I travelled to the Levant / FSU I had a conservative pallet, didn't even drink tea, thought the Brits were 100 percent right re Ireland .....etc., etc.,

My soon to be ex Russian Wife thought the Ukrainian language was bucolic and didn't trust Ukrainians  - ten came here and lived amongst them.

I don't blame folk almost brought up to believe one perspective is 'right' to not question their own perspective.

My best Russian mate and long term biz associate is Russian - served in the Soviet Red army and are discussions / arguments are legendary...  We often think each other 'crazy' in our stances.

In fact I'd say your wiring was similar to someone's entrenched with an opposing viewpoint  - you just got fed differing data perspective.....

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2016, 04:12:41 AM »

I am the only ethnic Ukrainian on this forum, AFAIK.  I have never posted it is a bad idea to visit Russia.  My children have a Russian surname and Russian blood, so I am hardly anti Russian.  But I make no apology for denouncing the Russian invasion of Ukraine.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2016, 07:24:07 AM »

The more pointed difference is Ukrainians are not invading, annexing Russia and killing Russians. If your head wasn't stuck so far up your anus you would see and recognize what's happening as most posters here do. Yes, that situation lends itself to garner ample Ukrainian sympathy and support. I love Russia. My wife is Russian and she shares my sentiment. You are attempting to defend the indefensible.

It is "okay" and the forum doesn't have to be anything at all to your liking. Contrary to your belief it is not anti-Russian. Lately it does seem to have an anti death and destruction position at the hands of a Russian dictator atmosphere however.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2016, 11:11:02 AM »
For guys heading to Ukraine -- understanding that expressing ideas like this guy keeps pushing will see the door shut in your face -or worse!   Russia and Putin is on the nose big time in Ukraine.
This is no light hearted left or right discussion--this is a brutal reality of people being killed,maimed,injured- a displaced people humanitarian crisis.Many have relatives and friends with extreme hurt as a result of Putin and Russia's actions-there is nothing nice about it.

There's somebody for everybody. No matter how radical you think somebody's beliefs are, there is a woman or man for that person that believes the same. Even the guy that showed up here obsessed with aliens has  a chance. It may be hard to find a woman that have beliefs like him but she's out there.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2016, 04:33:58 PM »
The more pointed difference is Ukrainians are not invading, annexing Russia and killing Russians. If your head wasn't stuck so far up your anus you would see and recognize what's happening as most posters here do. Yes, that situation lends itself to garner ample Ukrainian sympathy and support. I love Russia. My wife is Russian and she shares my sentiment. You are attempting to defend the indefensible.

Totally agree.  This is the main point that nearly everyone has been trying to make for the last couple of years.  It's only those whose attitudes are totally blinkered that can't see this.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541475
Total Topics: 20864
Most Online Today: 3594
Most Online Ever: 12701