It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: What if AM is Hollywood gorgeous? RW please respond!!  (Read 35961 times)

Offline brucen36

Re: What if AM is Hollywood gorgeous? RW please respond!!
« Reply #125 on: March 25, 2009, 08:25:21 AM »
Being very good looking is like an enzyme at a very high concentration, you dramatically increase the chances of random collisions; with women in this case.  If a '10' male cannot find a good looking woman who also has substance and has to resort to looking online or overseas, he LIKELY has some serious personality flaws.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 01:53:49 PM by brucen36 »

Offline Simoni

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #126 on: March 25, 2009, 08:29:50 AM »

Simoni is a ninja turtle!  I guess you have been promoted from pirate. 

Hope the little hero in a half shell is doing well.

Good eye, Diplomacy!  Yes, the pirate has now become Michelangelo, the Ninja Turtle!  I think you are the only one to notice :-)

And Mies, I agree.  Your post above was EXCELLENT!

Offline mies

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #127 on: March 25, 2009, 09:41:26 AM »
:-) thank you.

I was not sarcastic in my post - just honest. I do know a UW who was eager to marry an AM on the described conditions - he was supposed to move to Ukraine where he could have "any job he likes". They broke up shortly before marriage, unfortunately, due to guy's initiative so I don't know what his reasons were. But i think a very happy couple can be formed in this way. I know several men from Europe who moved to Kyiv, earning the amount i mentioned (that is they are not rich but "ok" by local standards) and living a normal average ukrainian life with ukrainian wives and kids. They are happy and being loved though not rich.
I also know a ukrainian girl who married a ukrainian guy. She owns apartment and earns something around $3-4'000/mo. He doesn't work for money - only rarely some freelance, and is enjoying his sport hobbies and participates in voluntary work. He is very handsome, and he knows it. They are of the same age (that is the girl isn't much younger). The girl has "ok" look - i'd say a solid 8 (about 5'9"-5'10", 140-150lb, busty, very long legs). But because she works so much - she doesn't have time to dress well or attend salons so she looks more like 6-7. Girl doesn't mind providing the family. Recently they had a child. About her husband - she loves him dearly, posts his photos everywhere around her office and always tell everybody how handsome and talented her husband is. She has older car, and also bought a nice car for her husband. Her choice isn't very typical for ukrainian woman, but many beautiful and nice-looking women marry men who don't earn very much in Ukraine. I don't see why the OP can't fit into that category if he will live in Ukraine. 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 10:46:40 AM by mies »

Offline Daveman

« Reply #128 on: March 25, 2009, 11:09:41 AM »
if you still read this thread: I have not seen your photo so i won't comment on your '10' look. Generally - 5'11" isn't "very tall" for man. This was a minimum acceptable for me for example, my husband is taller. As some of the men said here - women are quite tall in Ukraine, and probably taller in Russia.

Luckily for us vertically challenged guys there are still quite a number of tiny women who fit nicely under the arm.  ;D    Hey, I'm a giant in Mexico or the orient! heh

I agree with your narcissism comment.  That can run both ways as well. 

Hmmm $1000 a month, eh?  Well now, I might just need to move to Ukraine -- and take my pink flower covered dually (thanks to your suggestion) with me.  That along with the bike should freak out the locals and scare small children quite nicely.  8)
The duty of a true patriot is to protect his country from its government. -- Thomas Paine

Offline mies

« Reply #129 on: March 25, 2009, 11:24:43 AM »
Luckily for us vertically challenged guys there are still quite a number of tiny women who fit nicely under the arm.  ;D    Hey, I'm a giant in Mexico or the orient! heh

I agree with your narcissism comment.  That can run both ways as well. 

Hmmm $1000 a month, eh?  Well now, I might just need to move to Ukraine -- and take my pink flower covered dually (thanks to your suggestion) with me.  That along with the bike should freak out the locals and scare small children quite nicely.  8)

great idea :-)
i didn't want to offend the guys who are not very tall. Sorry if i sound this way. People can be beautiful/handsome with any height/weight. I simply mentioned that if you are used to feel yourself "very tall" with 5'11" - for ukrainian and russian women this would be a "standard of normal male height". "Very tall" for Ukraine starts somewhere around 6'2"-6'3".

I don't know whether it is easy for a foreigner to earn $1'000/mo in Ukraine. This is a number which would be sufficient for a "not poor/average income" UW to feel that her husband is contributing to family budget and not feel that she is being used. There could be some variation of course, depending on how much she loves him, whether he can help her with family/children/household duties, how many children they have, etc. If woman doesn't own apartment, and man buys apartment before marrying - he saves 200-500$/mo for family budget, so he can contribute less. 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 11:45:10 AM by mies »

Offline Diplomacy

« Reply #130 on: March 25, 2009, 11:56:55 AM »
Mies-

I admit a smiley or two would help sometimes with Ukrainians.  There are times when I am never sure if it is a joke or not.

That all made perfect sense to me.  

Offline Daveman

« Reply #131 on: March 25, 2009, 12:10:43 PM »
great idea :-)
i didn't want to offend the guys who are not very tall. Sorry if i sound this way. People can be beautiful/handsome with any height/weight. I simply mentioned that if you are used to feel yourself "very tall" with 5'11" - for ukrainian and russian women this would be a "standard of normal male height". "Very tall" for Ukraine starts somewhere around 6'2"-6'3".

I don't know whether it is easy for a foreigner to earn $1'000/mo in Ukraine. This is a number which would be sufficient for a "not poor/average income" UW to feel that her husband is contributing to family budget and not feel that she is being used. There could be some variation of course, depending on how much she loves him, whether he can help her with family/children/household duties, how many children they have, etc. If woman doesn't own apartment, and man buys apartment before marrying - he saves 200-500$/mo for family budget, so he can contribute less. 

Not offended in the least. I appreciate your insights.  I have seriously considered living in Ukraine for at least a couple of years.  I've never lived abroad and the situation for me is almost perfect to look at that option as a real possibility.  Luckily for me I wouldn't need to find a job to earn a monthly income of what you indicated above, but hey, finding a sugar mama would also be nice!  ;D   I couple or three plastic surgeries, steal and hide her glasses, and I should be handsome enough to snag one!  :P   
The duty of a true patriot is to protect his country from its government. -- Thomas Paine

Offline Diplomacy

« Reply #132 on: March 25, 2009, 12:32:25 PM »
Where were all the tall people in the Ukraine?  I am around 6'2" and felt like I was much taller than usual in a crowd.  I had to put around, I may be shrinking.  I do not know when it starts lol.

Offline Misha

« Reply #133 on: March 25, 2009, 12:52:23 PM »
I simply mentioned that if you are used to feel yourself "very tall" with 5'11" - for ukrainian and russian women this would be a "standard of normal male height". "Very tall" for Ukraine starts somewhere around 6'2"-6'3".

This was certainly not the case in northern Russia with the younger men. I rarely saw any men close to my height, and fewer yet that were taller (I am a just a bit shy of 6 feet tall).

Offline mies

« Reply #134 on: March 25, 2009, 01:23:40 PM »
This was certainly not the case in northern Russia with the younger men. I rarely saw any men close to my height, and fewer yet that were taller (I am a just a bit shy of 6 feet tall).

i admit that my viewpoint could be biased. I am 5'8" and it is possible that all men who were surrounding me were taller - not because all men are taller, but because taller men were braver to approach me - some form of self-selection. Though i still believe that if we discuss a "model" look - by ukrainian/rus standards man should be tall. 5'11" is at the bottom of a "model tall" range.
By the way - common critic of Hollywood actors in FSU area - is that they have good faces and proportions but aren't very tall (or to quote directly "they are very short"). So when women discuss them or yellow press writes articles - they always mention it "yes - he is sexy but he isn't tall - look his wife always wears no hills" or "yes, he isn't tall, but he is still sexy". 

Offline topofthekey

« Reply #135 on: March 25, 2009, 01:46:47 PM »
very tall to me is like Pavel Podkolzin  :o name drop for all you in Novosibirsk... or dallas for that matter. I didn't know tall mean't 6'2 or 6'3 or whatever in the FSU. What if you are 6'1 and can dunk? Do you get to be called tall? Pretty sure average height in the USA is like 5'8.

Anyways for all you 5'11 hollywood short model types I've got a tune for ya.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 01:48:24 PM by topofthekey »
Reporter: Any comment on the bar incident where it was reported that you threw a man out a window?
Charles Barkley: My only regret was that the bar didn't have a second floor.

The Round Mound of Rebound was later acquitted on all criminal charges.

Offline OlgaH

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #136 on: March 25, 2009, 02:02:07 PM »
I have always found that 5'11 (180 cm) is not a bad height for a man  :)
I'm 4'9 (150 cm).  ;)

Offline mies

« Reply #137 on: March 25, 2009, 02:10:58 PM »
that's a nice song :-)
our topic is drifting in a slightly different direction, but i will address your post Togofthekey.
I was expressing my opinion of my country with regard to the question of the OP the way i understood his question. I did not try to give official statistics on the population of USA or FSU.
The way i understood his question - he was asking for opinion and was trying to get realistic idea of his chances. He is going to compete with the men who are handsome, relatively young but not rich. He targets a much younger 8-10 girl.

How i understand the term "tall man"? that's when i wear a 2" heeled shoes and man isn't shorter than me, and a bit taller. I don't like looking down on men. I am 5'8", add 2" of heels - that's 5'10", and a little taller - that would be 5'11". I am definitely not the tallest girl in Ukraine - about the average. Most of the ukr males whom i know satisfy this +3" rule. Majority of my male ukrainian friends are taller than me even when i wear 4-5" shoes. In order to stand out from the crowd - man needs to be somewhat taller than that. Then women will say "he is so handsome, so tall". Cute face is welcomed, but a manly figure and good height is always a plus if you are trying to make your looks your main asset. And this is what the OP is trying to do.

and no need to get defensive Topofthekey )  I am very tolerant person, and happily married too ;)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 02:14:32 PM by mies »

Offline topofthekey

« Reply #138 on: March 25, 2009, 02:22:23 PM »
I am 5'8", add 2" of heels - that's 5'10", and a little taller - that would be 5'11". I am definitely not the tallest girl in Ukraine - about the average. 

and no need to get defensive Topofthekey )  I am very tolerant person, and happily married too ;)

I highly doubt 5'8 is the average height of women in Ukraine. As for me being defensive... I'm booking my flight as we speak to go take on the great... well not great... the tall Pavel Podkolzin. Gonna go posterize him.  ;D Get ready pavel!!!

Reporter: Any comment on the bar incident where it was reported that you threw a man out a window?

Offline mies

« Reply #139 on: March 25, 2009, 02:25:12 PM »
:-)
i can also add that gorgeous handsome men in Ukraine aren't very common. So OP has quite good chances (if he is as good as he says) competing with ukrainian males in the area of looks.
here you can check how guys and gals look in kiev http://photo.topdj.ua/25008/page5/. Not many guys there, but you'll get the idea. It's more or less what you see on the streets as well.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 02:34:03 PM by mies »

Offline OlgaH

« Reply #140 on: March 25, 2009, 02:27:31 PM »

How i understand the term "tall man"? that's when i wear a 2" heeled shoes and man isn't shorter than me, and a bit taller.

The same about me.  If a man is taller than me when I wear my 4 inch high heels,  he is enough tall man for me  :)  
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 02:30:05 PM by OlgaH »

Offline mies

« Reply #141 on: March 25, 2009, 02:35:22 PM »
The same about me.  If a man is taller than me when I wear my 4 inch high heels,  he is enough tall man for me  :)  

thank you for support :-)

Offline Daveman

« Reply #142 on: March 25, 2009, 02:36:39 PM »
i admit that my viewpoint could be biased. I am 5'8" and it is possible that all men who were surrounding me were taller - not because all men are taller, but because taller men were braver to approach me - some form of self-selection. Though i still believe that if we discuss a "model" look - by ukrainian/rus standards man should be tall. 5'11" is at the bottom of a "model tall" range.
By the way - common critic of Hollywood actors in FSU area - is that they have good faces and proportions but aren't very tall (or to quote directly "they are very short"). So when women discuss them or yellow press writes articles - they always mention it "yes - he is sexy but he isn't tall - look his wife always wears no hills" or "yes, he isn't tall, but he is still sexy". 

Something I have found and still do find quite hilarious is that these very women (at least in America) who, by nature, would not consider a shorter man as real "partner/marriage material" are usually the most vocal about how shallow men are for wanting  a shapely lady, or big breasts.  It's a quite humorous double standard when you think about it. Why is it natural and quite "ok" for a woman to prefer a tall man however, but a man is "shallow" if he wants a thin woman?  or gargantuan breastasaurs?   8)

Personally, I think anyone should seek and find exactly what he/she wants in a partner.  I've dated ladies ranging from 4'11 to 5'11 and never had a problem with it though I'm sure we got some good snickers behind our backs as some of those taller ladies wearing heels would tower over my 5'8 height.   Usually, I look for a lady around 5'4 or smaller when I am searching for the obvious reasons, but if I found a another attractive (to me) lady at 5'11 with the right personality, I'd be quite satisfied with her as well.  

I guess physical attributes are important to some and not for others..  Size of breasts, height, hair/eye color are all non issues for me, however, I don't even mind if a woman is a little overweight (not obese) BUT, I can't deal with a big honker of a nose.. if I can't kiss her without bruising my face or putting an eye out, then I have to move on! hehehehe

Offline OlgaH

« Reply #143 on: March 25, 2009, 02:40:13 PM »
thank you for support :-)

mies, you are welcome, but it is not just a support it is a reality   :) Some of my female friends are mush taller than me and they also love high heels  ;)

Offline topofthekey

« Reply #144 on: March 25, 2009, 02:44:19 PM »
 It's a quite humorous double standard when you think about it. Why is it natural and quite "ok" for a woman to prefer a tall man however, but a man is "shallow" if he wants a thin woman?  or gargantuan breastasaurs?   8)

Size of breasts, height, hair/eye color are all non issues for me,
 BUT, I can't deal with a big honker of a nose..

Damn straight! I don't care about the breatasaurses size wise as long as there is at least a little breatasaurs we are good haha. Height, hair color, and eye color don't matter either.  :o There are women that are just as shallow as men are stereotyped to be. go figure.

Offline mies

« Reply #145 on: March 25, 2009, 02:59:41 PM »
Damn straight! I don't care about the breatasaurses size wise as long as there is at least a little breatasaurs we are good haha. Height, hair color, and eye color don't matter either.  :o There are women that are just as shallow as men are stereotyped to be. go figure.

i do care about the looks - my own and my husband's. I am relatively vain and reasonably narcissistic, and I am honest about it - with myself and with people around me. In communication I do not discriminate people around me on the basis of their height, looks, origin, etc. Yet, I believe I can choose accordingly to my wishes the person to "procreate" with - since for this purpose i need only one person. If I were hopping from one man to a more handsome one, richer one, taller one and so on - i guess I could have been considered shallow. But I don't ) I am attractive enough to pick men, and lucky enough that man whom I picked loves me too.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 03:03:48 PM by mies »

Offline topofthekey

« Reply #146 on: March 25, 2009, 03:11:54 PM »
i do care about the looks - my own and my husband's. I am relatively vain and reasonably narcissistic, and I am honest about it - with myself and with people around me. In communication I do not discriminate people around me on the basis of their height, looks, origin, etc. Yet, I believe I can choose accordingly to my wishes the person to "procreate" with - since for this purpose i need only one person. If I were hopping from one man to a more handsome one, richer one, taller one and so on - i guess I could have been considered shallow. But I don't ) I am attractive enough to pick men, and lucky enough that man whom I picked loves me too.

My only thought is that compared to the standards men are held to what you just wrote about should be considered shallow. Men who chase after women with large breasts and other physical features and admit those features are important to them get labeled that very easily. If applying the same rule to you that those men are faced with. You'd be labeled shallow if height was a big issue (the same a guy would if breasts are a big issue)

I think Daveman was just pointing out a double standard.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 03:14:26 PM by topofthekey »

Offline Sculpto

« Reply #147 on: March 25, 2009, 03:31:42 PM »
I could be way off on this, but, I have the impression that looks and vanity are MORE important to FSU people, not just women, than they typically are for Americans.  I base this barely formed opinion on two experiences...

when I was in Odessa a year and a half ago I met two ladies.. one purely as a friend and one as a potential love match.  Coincidentally these ladies knew each other because they were from the same agency.  After I returned to the USA I was informed by the friend that the love interest did not like how i dressed and a laundry list of other visual criticizms that had absolutely nothing to do with who I am as a person.  The entire critique was about superficial things.  Needless to say I did not pursue this lady even though she continued to write to me.

And, currently with "A".. she knew in advance I carried some extra weight and always said it wasn't important.  All that changed after we met.  Mostly she says she is concerned for my health and doesn't want me having a heart attack, but, she also said.. "You want beautiful girl, I too want beautiful man".  She was very pleased I lost 30lbs in 4 months, but, wants me to lose another 20 and will then be satisfied that I meet her visual standards. 

I suspect there is a lot of agency hype involved in the myth that FSU women judge men by their character more than how they look.  I also believe that superficial concerns of "image" are far mroe important than they should be and in my mind represent a major flaw in the mindset of FSU people.  As I said I could be completely wrong about all of this, but, those are my observations after four trips and countless correspondences.

Offline Daveman

« Reply #148 on: March 25, 2009, 03:40:37 PM »
I could be way off on this, but, I have the impression that looks and vanity are MORE important to FSU people, not just women, than they typically are for Americans.  I base this barely formed opinion on two experiences...

when I was in Odessa a year and a half ago I met two ladies.. one purely as a friend and one as a potential love match.  Coincidentally these ladies knew each other because they were from the same agency.  After I returned to the USA I was informed by the friend that the love interest did not like how i dressed and a laundry list of other visual criticizms that had absolutely nothing to do with who I am as a person.  The entire critique was about superficial things.  Needless to say I did not pursue this lady even though she continued to write to me.

And, currently with "A".. she knew in advance I carried some extra weight and always said it wasn't important.  All that changed after we met.  Mostly she says she is concerned for my health and doesn't want me having a heart attack, but, she also said.. "You want beautiful girl, I too want beautiful man".  She was very pleased I lost 30lbs in 4 months, but, wants me to lose another 20 and will then be satisfied that I meet her visual standards. 

I suspect there is a lot of agency hype involved in the myth that FSU women judge men by their character more than how he looks.  I also believe that superficial concerns of "image" are far mroe important than they should be and in my mind represent a major flaw in the mindset of FSU people.  As I said I could be completely wrong about all of this, but, those are my observations after four trips and countless correspondences.

Actually in my fairly extensive experience, I have found that a very high percentage of FSU ladies jusdge a man's character by HOW he looks.  I have heard more times than I can count "I can know all about a character from a photo"...  Personally, I have to rely on the Magic 8 Ball, but photos seem to work for them.

Appearance is very important to most of them, as are the opinions (showing you off) of the friends, family, etc.  about appearance.  Basically, if there's not a bit of envy over your appearance, she won't be satisfied.  Not all, of course, but I sure have seen many examples of it.

Mies,  didn't mean to insinuate you are shallow if that is how you understood my post.  I just get a kick out of the double standard and the idiotic rantings of some women in the world.

Top, ain't it a hoot to listen to that nonsense?  Oh well, one of life's amusing quirks.  ;D

Offline Misha

« Reply #149 on: March 25, 2009, 05:08:56 PM »

but, she also said.. "You want beautiful girl, I too want beautiful man". 

I suspect there is a lot of agency hype involved in the myth that FSU women judge men by their character more than how they look. 

I may have shared this anecdote already. When I first me my wife's family, my SIL told my wife (then g/f) that I was to fat for her [I was in the washroom at the time]. My MIL told her to shut up as I was not her b/f and told her that she liked me.

So, you have two sisters who valued looks differently. The older sister, was much more obsessed with looks than the younger sister, my wife. My SIL looked at physique and beauty before other considerations. My wife looked for intelligence and kindness among other traits, believing that a man should be simply a bit more attractive than an ape.

So, I would say you are right about agency hype. However, I would be wary to fall into the other extreme and say that looks are the most important criteria for a RW when choosing a man.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541008
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1875
Total: 1886

+-Recent Posts

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM