It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: heading to Chernivtsi for first visit  (Read 10468 times)

Offline JensenHealey907

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 1 - 3
heading to Chernivtsi for first visit
« on: November 15, 2016, 12:07:53 AM »
Hello all:
I am a semi-newbie to all of this. I have been to the Ukraine one time to meet a lady there. I visited Zaporizhia back in 2013. I just made arrangements to visit a different lady in Chernivtsi (or is it Chernovtsy?) in December. Any advice from other travelers who have visited Chernivtsi before? BTW, when I get E-mail from this lady I see the city name is spelled Chernovtsy so which is correct? I am heading there on specific dates when she can get time off from her work. I will arrive on a Thursday and leave the following Tuesday.

Anyway I am concerned about our ability to communicate since my russian is next to none and her english is not much better. The last time I visited the Ukraine when I was in Zap I made a lot of use of on-line translators (google, I think) but I also hired a local english speaker for three different occasions. I have asked this lady about the availability of local english to russian translators but I have not gotten a good answer from her about this. I think she skims over some of what I write when the E-mail is too long. Any advice on this language translation issue would be helpful.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 12:14:11 AM by JensenHealey907 »

Offline Slumba

• Banned Member
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
Re: heading to Chernivtsi for first visit
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 12:20:53 AM »
Chernivtsi is a university town, and has to have decent Internet. Have you spoken with her over Skype?
Me gusta ir de compras con mi tarjeta verde...

Offline JensenHealey907

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 12:43:59 AM »
Yes, one time. It was difficult to do since we were both typing and translating. I hope the visit works better. She seems to be very optimistic about communication but I am worried.

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 04:12:57 AM »
University towns/cities are full of students who would love to practise their English on tourists.  I had one offer herself as a guide when going around the Kazan Kremlin - she was delightful, spoke excellent English, and knew her stuff very well.  She was well worth the 300 roubles that she charged for the three of us (my lady friend and her daughter were with me, so she did some translating between us as well).

You will quite likely be able to find a choice on some local website.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 05:54:17 AM »
Hello all:
I am a semi-newbie to all of this. I have been to the Ukraine one time to meet a lady there. I visited Zaporizhia back in 2013. I just made arrangements to visit a different lady in Chernivtsi (or is it Chernovtsy?) in December. Any advice from other travelers who have visited Chernivtsi before? BTW, when I get E-mail from this lady I see the city name is spelled Chernovtsy so which is correct? I am heading there on specific dates when she can get time off from her work. I will arrive on a Thursday and leave the following Tuesday.

Anyway I am concerned about our ability to communicate since my russian is next to none and her english is not much better. The last time I visited the Ukraine when I was in Zap I made a lot of use of on-line translators (google, I think) but I also hired a local english speaker for three different occasions. I have asked this lady about the availability of local english to russian translators but I have not gotten a good answer from her about this. I think she skims over some of what I write when the E-mail is too long. Any advice on this language translation issue would be helpful.

Chernivtsi looks a nice place, a bit like Lviv, may have to try out that way myself sometime - I notice transfer flights from Borispol come up on Skyscanner but not on Ebookers which I normally use which was why I think I thought these places didn't have a regional airport before but of course  I now see that they do. I'm guessing the name difference may be down to the recent renaming of many of the cities of the Ukrainian from Russian to Ukrainian variation due to the hostilities with Russia, or maybe there is some other reason.

Still, its easy for a woman to say come visit but its the guy that spends all the money, time and hassle to get there. There being a city airport will cut down on this a bit if all travel goes smoothly. I would however try to write to a few other women beforehand as possible backups.

I think I got the same with the woman I met out in Nikolaev, skimming over long emails. Apparently she had only a very basic Internet mobile as she was a student and it became difficult to do long responses and read long emails - her English was ok but not at all fluent. So fair enough not all Ukrainians can afford expensive mobiles and speak fluent English, I think your lady's problem may be similar here. It costs a FSU woman nothing though to be positive about you coming, she could for all you know do this to umpteen number of guys, she can get up and walk in an instance knowing that there is some other guy coming next week also to see her, she gets to see if there is any chemistry or whatever there and move on without any cost to her. In fact she probably gets at the very least a free meal out of it, fortunately very cheap in Ukraine though. So many just won't care I think about getting too involved in Emails as you could just be passing entertainment to her if there is no chemistry there, I got similar second time around and found it a bit weird i.e interested but some emails just real brief. So the replying to every single question doesn't necessarily hold true.

Myself I doubt I would do another trip in this fashion again, the length of time you've chosen is about right for one girl. Any longer with a girl that is not up for it with you and it can get real frustrating and indeed irritating - even this many days it can get on you're mind at times. So while you could luck out for me going all the way to see just one woman I get on well with over the internet in the hope that there will be chemistry is not the place I want to be.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline HoundDaddyLee

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 07:44:44 AM »
Yes, one time. It was difficult to do since we were both typing and translating. I hope the visit works better. She seems to be very optimistic about communication but I am worried.

Skype has a built in Translator now (For Windows Version). It works with both text and voice. Look for the globe icon in the upper right of the application page. Click it and it should popup  a Windows to turn on translation for this contact.

Hope this helps,

HDL

Offline BillyB

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 08:27:49 AM »
Ukrainians and Russians sometimes spell cities in Ukraine different ways. Spell the city the way your lady is spelling it.

You mentioned you are worried. Don't be. Worrying only messes things up.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline jone

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 08:38:03 AM »

Skype has a built in Translator now (For Windows Version). It works with both text and voice. Look for the globe icon in the upper right of the application page. Click it and it should popup  a Windows to turn on translation for this contact.

Hope this helps,

HDL

I heard that you don't need any words with your woman.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Sailor291

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 11:22:26 AM »
My wife is from Chernovtsy, we have been married for over 17 years.  I have been to  Chernovtsy more times than I can count, although we haven't been back in 6 years.  We currently have tickets to go there in April. 

I have always found the people there to be friendly.  The city used to be called the Venice of the East, has some very nice architecture.  Go see the university, it is very pretty, my wife graduated from there.  I don't speak Ukrainian or Russian, should be ashamed of myself, but, have not had too much difficulty getting around in Chernovtsy or Ukraine in general.  We usually take the train from Kiev to Chernovtsy, to me is a pleasant way to go after a long air trip.  Our daughter and son in law just got back from there in May and had a great time.  he had never traveled outside the U.S. except for Mexico so it was a treat for him. There are some nice day trips to fortresses you can go on and also to the Carpathian Mountains.  Your lady will know these things.  You must go to Kalinka Market, the bazaar.  It is huge. 

In short I think you will have a great time. 

Offline JensenHealey907

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 11:44:27 AM »
My wife is from Chernovtsy, we have been married for over 17 years.  I have been to  Chernovtsy more times than I can count, although we haven't been back in 6 years.  We currently have tickets to go there in April. 

I have always found the people there to be friendly.  The city used to be called the Venice of the East, has some very nice architecture.  Go see the university, it is very pretty, my wife graduated from there.  I don't speak Ukrainian or Russian, should be ashamed of myself, but, have not had too much difficulty getting around in Chernovtsy or Ukraine in general.  We usually take the train from Kiev to Chernovtsy, to me is a pleasant way to go after a long air trip.  Our daughter and son in law just got back from there in May and had a great time.  he had never traveled outside the U.S. except for Mexico so it was a treat for him. There are some nice day trips to fortresses you can go on and also to the Carpathian Mountains.  Your lady will know these things.  You must go to Kalinka Market, the bazaar.  It is huge. 

In short I think you will have a great time.

Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions.

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2016, 12:17:12 AM »
Chernivtsi is Ukrainian.  Chernovtsi is Russian.

I have never heard Chernivtsi described as the "Venice of the East".  It is a pretty town, though rather small, but hardly Venice. 
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Gator

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2016, 09:12:46 AM »

I have never heard Chernivtsi described as the "Venice of the East".  It is a pretty town, though rather small, but hardly Venice.

I have never been there.  Yes,  it is pretty in the photos, remarkably so in comparison with Ukraine's industrial cities.   

In comparison to Venice, does it have a canal?  It has a fountain, albeit of modern design:

JensenHealey,

I wish you a great trip.  May happiness be with you.  Please write a trip report.

Online Hammer2722

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2016, 09:16:45 AM »

I was always under the impression that St Petersburg was considered the "Venice of the East"......
every ship can be a minesweeper at least once...

Offline Boethius

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2016, 09:28:18 AM »
St. Petersburg's design was based on Amsterdam.

After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Boethius

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2016, 09:30:21 AM »
I have never been there.  Yes,  it is pretty in the photos, remarkably so in comparison with Ukraine's industrial cities.   

In comparison to Venice, does it have a canal?  It has a fountain, albeit of modern design:

No, Chernivtsi does not have a canal.  Its buildings are different than in other parts of Ukraine because of the Romanian influence.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2016, 08:55:06 PM »
BTW, there is an interpreter who has had good reviews, and is in Chernivtsi.  Here is a link to his website -

http://ace-interpreter.com/

Offline JensenHealey907

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2016, 09:02:19 PM »
BTW, there is an interpreter who has had good reviews, and is in Chernivtsi.  Here is a link to his website -

http://ace-interpreter.com/

Thank you Boethius

Offline JensenHealey907

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2016, 09:21:14 PM »
BTW, I got E-mail from the lady I am visiting in Chernovtsy and she seems to think we can use translation apps but she said if that does not work then she will find a translator.

A few years ago a friend who I have since lost touch with married a russian lady from Tomsk and he said even though her english skills were pretty good, that even after they were married they still had some fairly serious arguments that often were caused by simple misunderstandings due to communication difficulties.

Have others here experienced this?

Offline Gator

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2016, 09:38:10 PM »

In spades.  If you and your lady have a language barrier, I highly recommend you proceed slowly.  My wife and I shared maybe 200 words at first.  Our misunderstandings were huge, enough that we broke up twice.  Yet something profound was there and we got back together.  It took about three years. 

I have discussed the language barrier many times.  There are threads in the archives about language barriers and I suggest you read them.  Many RWD members criticized what I did.  However, they did not know that my wife is a fine thoroughbred and worth the work, frustrations, misunderstandings, etc. 

I hope you fine your lady to be just as wonderful. 

Offline JensenHealey907

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2016, 09:45:55 PM »
Gator:
Thanks for the encouraging words. I have been corresponding with this lady for a very long time. She has been very patient and I think the feel I get from reading her letters indicates to me she has a WAY better attitude than my ex-wife. So I am hopeful but still concerned about the language barrier and distinct possibilities for misunderstandings.

Can you please post some of the links to previous discussions about language issues? I would be interested in reading them.

Offline AkMike

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2016, 09:51:17 PM »
Time and patience is mandated if you continue on this route.  :clapping:

Let her know that #1 you'd never intentionally say or do anything to hurt her. There will be misunderstandings. Let er know that you'll be her best friend and mean it.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2016, 09:58:55 PM »
they still had some fairly serious arguments that often were caused by simple misunderstandings due to communication difficulties.

I've always said two good people make good things happen. Regardless if there is a language barrier, if both people have patience and understanding there wouldn't be a lot of blowups.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline JayH

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2016, 10:21:06 PM »
  Well said Mike!   :)

It is really easy to have a misunderstanding over something you may consider of little consequence --it can become a major issue without you knowing!

I have often said " can you say that another way" -- to try and clarify.

An example -- one night  after dinner with a group of people -- I had spent considerable time talking with a very attractive girl  . As the night was winding up and going home arrangements were being made  -- I said  " I would like to see a lot more of you " !
She recoiled with a black look on her face which left my brain scrambling to work out what i had just said -- most of the English speakers here know precisely what I was saying  ie-- in effect I would like to see you again.
Now this girl -- whose school learnt English is good enough to work translating and  as an interpreter is in the excellent category  of speaking - had taken my words literally to mean see her body etc in an inappropriate way.
Once I realised how she had taken my words -- even explaining was awkward   !! Lots of laughing did follow !
In English we often abbreviate words and a sentence-=- and the way the gist of sentence can be changed by one word is missed.
You need to think about what you are saying and how you say-- and alternatives that may be clearer.
Humour can backfire very easily !

SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline Sailor291

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2016, 08:42:34 AM »

I stand corrected.  I asked my wife again about this and she told me that some time ago, 1-200 yrs ago, who knows as she didnt, it was referred to as the Paris of the East.  I will blame my error on old age. 

Offline Boethius

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2016, 12:50:43 PM »
I've always heard Budapest described as the "Paris of the East". :)   I've never been, but anyone I know who has says it is a stunningly beautiful city.

But many cities claim the moniker -

http://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1AOHY_en&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=paris%20of%20the%20east

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541319
Total Topics: 20860
Most Online Today: 2843
Most Online Ever: 12701