It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: What type of cell phone would work in Ukraine?  (Read 4498 times)

Offline JensenHealey907

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 1 - 3
What type of cell phone would work in Ukraine?
« on: November 27, 2016, 02:59:19 PM »
The lady I am going to see in Chernovtsy says she does not have a cell phone and that all she has is a "regular" phone. I have lots of extra phones in my equipment drawers here in the US so I am wondering if I bring one along to give her will we be able to find a SIM car to work in the phone? The one I am thinking about is a AT&T/T-Mobile phone from a couple of years ago.
Any advice about this would be most helpful.

Offline ML

• Trips: > 10
Re: What type of cell phone would work in Ukraine?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 03:58:34 PM »
Just make sure the phone is 'unlocked' and you are almost home free.

Most phones sold in USA are 'locked' to work only on the carrier you bought your phone/plan with.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline JensenHealey907

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 04:01:06 PM »
Good advice but I NEVER buy locked phones.

Offline JayH

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 06:51:51 PM »
mmmm   a couple of points .
Cell phone is US description.   So--maybe some confusion there.
The US is NOT at the forefront of users with late model phones.
The phone illustrated is a crap old  style phone.
Giving a used ( second hand) old phone and outdated model  could well be a BIG mistake.
I have not seen a mention of your ages -- and on tech issues that can be important.
I would not do a thing until I knew exactly what phone she has.

It is not hard to buy a MOBILE phone in Ukraine - prices are comparable to rest of the world access now( not the case some years ago-- so advice given on many topics is past it's use by date !)

SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Online krimster2

• He/Him
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 07:12:41 PM »
no that is not the phone to bring someone in Ukraine or anywhere else, minus 10 points for even asking...

Offline alex330

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 07:19:12 PM »
no that is not the phone to bring someone in Ukraine or anywhere else, minus 10 points for even asking...

I think Krim may be correct here...

I doubt she has no cell phone. Probably a misunderstanding. It could even be a test.

Offline JensenHealey907

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 09:19:22 PM »
The lady I am going to see is in her mid-fourties. And the exact words she told me was: I have no smart phone. I use traditional phone.

I do take your meaning though and will not take the old phone.

Offline LAman

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 10:41:32 PM »
The lady I am going to see is in her mid-fourties. And the exact words she told me was: I have no smart phone. I use traditional phone.

I do take your meaning though and will not take the old phone.

My take: Buy a Iphone5 unlocked phone for ~$130, use it in Ukraine (buy sim there) and IF you want to continue the relationship, leave the phone with girl so you will have a way to speak to her directly by viber, WhatsApp or skype.
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline JayH

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2016, 11:05:20 PM »
My take: Buy a Iphone5 unlocked phone for ~$130, use it in Ukraine (buy sim there) and IF you want to continue the relationship, leave the phone with girl so you will have a way to speak to her directly by viber, WhatsApp or skype.

$130  ? Where?  Even used seeing will be believing.Ahh --you mean buy in US?

That is in essence good advice.

JH --I was going to come back on a couple of points-- you were being given a message about phone-- do you see it yet?

Let me give you a couple of points  --if your lady was a stylish 25 yo type 40 yo--  chances are presenting her with an old phone   would have been the last time you saw her!!!!!!

A 25 yo would have laughed to your face -- a 40 yo may say nothing --but silently discard you !
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline JensenHealey907

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2016, 11:31:01 PM »
OK, I have arranged to pickup a new android phone (no iphones for me) AND I am also bringing her a laptop since she says she does not have a computer. She has said that she either uses the computers at an internet cafe or sometimes a computer at work to check and correspond with me via E-mail. I am still puzzled by her comment about having a "regular" phone instead of a "smart" phone but I have sent her an E-mail asking her to clarify that. I.E. I have read that the words "cell phone" may not translate well since from what I understand their usual term for this is "mobile phone", not cell phone.

Thanks for all the strong hints about not giving her the old Sharp Sidekick phone.

Offline alex330

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2016, 11:57:41 PM »
I am still puzzled by her comment about having a "regular" phone instead of a "smart" phone but I have sent her an E-mail asking her to clarify that. I.E. I have read that the words "cell phone" may not translate well since from what I understand their usual term for this is "mobile phone", not cell phone.

Could be that she has an older clam flip up or cell without a touch screen. Best to clarify like you did.

Many of the FSUW I know are a bit weird about second hand items. Although I think LAman's idea was a good one.

Not sure her living arrangements but many homes in my FIL's neighborhood did not have internet. So when we gave him a computer we also had to run internet to his house for him. Internet itself is very cheap once installed.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2016, 12:16:50 AM »
OK, I have arranged to pickup a new android phone (no iphones for me) AND I am also bringing her a laptop since she says she does not have a computer.

Buy and adaptor to fit into the electrical sockets for the laptop. Don't need a voltage converter since laptops have the conversion built in or in the cord. It's always best to check the voltage on electronics to make sure. Usually it'll be 100-240V. They run about 240V over there. The phone can charge off the laptop by USB if the charger that comes with it doesn't do around 240V.

Usually I would give these gifts to a woman I'm in a relationship with. Certainly wouldn't give them to a woman I haven't met. Women over there have lived their lives without us and can continue to do so. Don't insult them by giving the impression you're trying to rescue them.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline JensenHealey907

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2016, 12:24:31 AM »
I am thinking that I will take the laptop along for me to use and if things go well I will leave it with her.

Offline ML

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2016, 08:45:01 AM »
I am thinking that I will take the laptop along for me to use and if things go well I will leave it with her.

And be sure to leave all the pictures, emails, phone numbers, etc., of other gals on the computer so that she can compare to herself.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline msmob

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2016, 03:04:39 PM »
Hi JensenHealey907

Sorry, if I have not read it right, but as you say 'she says'... that infers you haven't met her, yet ?

It is not uncommon for forty something ladies to have non Android / Apple / Microsoft smartphones. They may invest any spare cash on their family.

I would NOT advise buying a US spec device as they are quite often restricted in the number of frequencies available and if it goes wrong..

I bought a Samsung Galaxy Note 5 in Russia - after 7 months it will not charge via cable and Samsung UK will not honour the warranty.

It is not even a model sold in W.Europe ! I have to wait until my return to replace / repair the phone - which - luckily - works using a fast wireless charging standard

Frankly, buying a lady such gifts before meeting her is CRAZY - I suspect you want to impress ... and now not buying it will make you look 'greedy'

You may be making a rod for your back

Would you offer such gifts when meeting a lady for a first date, normally  ?

Sorry, if I'm being negative - I speak from negative experience ;)

Offline BillyB

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2016, 06:03:59 PM »
And be sure to leave all the pictures, emails, phone numbers, etc., of other gals on the computer so that she can compare to herself.

And don't log out of your email and dating site accounts either! With full disclosure, a guy is sure to score some points in the honesty department.

Just in case a guy wants to delete everything, he shouldn't forget to empty the trash bin. Also he would need to delete the history. Sometimes the last 10 images and videos are saved. Best a guy watch some UFC fighting to give a lady the impression he's a real MAN but he must also show a sensitive side so it's best to include looking at photos of puppies and bunnies for the last 10 items viewed.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline ML

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2016, 08:43:31 PM »
Sometimes the last 10 images and videos are saved.

I was once looking at a computer with a gal that she shared with a 15 year old son.

She was pushing the right arrow key to move through some pictures.

Suddenly a nude woman showed up.  The gal almost went into shock, and knew that her son had put the picture there.

I tried to calm her down by explaining it was very normal for a guy to have such a picture.

Anyway, this focuses on Billy's point that computers often grab pictures from folders that weren't even being looked at.  But the right arrow key will sometimes just go to the next random picture in any folder.  I am sure the son had thought that he had hidden the picture deep down in multiple layers of folders . . . but it still popped up.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2016, 11:40:20 AM »
I was once looking at a computer with a gal that she shared with a 15 year old son.

She was pushing the right arrow key to move through some pictures.

Suddenly a nude woman showed up.  The gal almost went into shock, and knew that her son had put the picture there.

I tried to calm her down by explaining it was very normal for a guy to have such a picture.

That boy is absolutely normal just like I was. Went dumpster diving with some friends and found Playboy magazines during a time when internet wasn't available to provide free images of naked women. Hid them in my room but petrified when I came home to find out my room is clean and my shoe box full of secrets has been moved to another location. I thought my mom seen what was inside and I was going to get into trouble. Nothing happened. Years later my mom told me the story of what she saw in the shoe box but decided against punishing me. She brought the issue up to my dad and he said in relief "At least he isn't gay". By not confiscating the goods, they allowed me to keep looking at naked women. That's is why I've grown into an outstanding human being.

Offline redfeather

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2016, 06:36:39 PM »
I bought one of those Samsung dual sim card phones because another friend that travels to Russia told me it was the best way to go.  My gf took it with her this last visit back to see her mom.  She bought a Russia sim card and called everyone she wanted to call, so it has worked great.  My gf goes back on Dec 20th, and she will take it back with her when she goes and do the same thing.  The Ukraine or Russian sim cards are cheap like $10 or $20.  I hope this helps.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541537
Total Topics: 20869
Most Online Today: 1799
Most Online Ever: 12701