It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Schengen Visa  (Read 9420 times)

Offline Col HJ

Schengen Visa
« on: January 10, 2009, 03:24:18 AM »
Good day all, I was wondering if anyone here with wife or g/f in Ukraine has experience with the Schengen visa? Specifically the application process, cost and processing time. My girl has taken a beating trying to get her visa (via Hungary) to visit me while I am working in Europe. I was under the impression the Schengen was a relatively easy process. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Offline Ade

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Schengen Visa
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 03:50:32 AM »
Good day all, I was wondering if anyone here with wife or g/f in Ukraine has experience with the Schengen visa? Specifically the application process, cost and processing time. My girl has taken a beating trying to get her visa (via Hungary) to visit me while I am working in Europe. I was under the impression the Schengen was a relatively easy process. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Not Ukraine but Russia although there are some similarities I think.

The first Schengen visa can be the tough one depending on the person - if they have a good reason to return home it's more likely to be awarded. Finland seems to be very favourable towards applicants even without strong supporting evidence so you may want to try applying there; my fiancée got a 1 month multi-entry visa from them without any problems although she did have several previous Schengen visas. Still, Finland may be your best bet.

Remember, whatever country issues the visa should be the country where most of the time is spent... 

Offline Col HJ

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 04:40:46 AM »
What was the cost and how long was the "process", from application to issuance?

Offline ECOCKS

• To those who deserve it, good luck.
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 04:51:56 AM »
HJ:

As indicated above the first one is usually the most difficult.  My advice is to buy a tour and have them setup the travel.  Then let them walk it through the process.

If there are red flags (age disparity, travel patterns, previous visa issues, etc.)  that we are not aware of, it is possible that you may need to come here and book sa trip back with her so that they have you showing on the paperwork as well.

PM me if you need a reliable agency that will do this for you.

Ed
Pick and choose carefully among the advice offered and consider the source carefully. PM, Skype or email if you care to chat or discuss

Offline Col HJ

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 05:10:57 AM »
Thanks to those who have replied but I must reiterate the specifics of my question, I am interested in knowing the cost,time to process and exactly how to proceed with the application. Thanks

Offline ECOCKS

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 05:19:57 AM »

You asked for "thoughts".  You also indicated that your GF tried to follow the process without success so we are unsure what info you think we have that might be different.  I am guessing that you think we can tell you some form or certain office to go to but this area of the world doesn't work that way.  I don't know about Jaded but we live in Kyiv and my wife has 9 Schengens into 6 different countries plus a US visa.  We are trying to help you. 

- Ed
Pick and choose carefully among the advice offered and consider the source carefully. PM, Skype or email if you care to chat or discuss

Offline Ade

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 05:21:47 AM »
Thanks to those who have replied but I must reiterate the specifics of my question, I am interested in knowing the cost,time to process and exactly how to proceed with the application. Thanks

As Ed said, maybe a package tour would be the most certain way of ensuring she gets a visa but it tends to cost more because you have the additional expenses besides the cost of the visa processing.

Time may vary a lot depending of a whole host of factors including if it's a popular holiday time and the consulates are inundated with visa requests; with my fiancée we count on a minimum of 3 weeks to be safe. She uses an agency with a courier service though. We can't remember the exact cost of her last 2 month Norwegian visa  using the agency but we think it was less than 5000 Rub.

Actually, whatever you decide it's usually more cost and/or time effective to use an agency to do the leg work.

Offline Shadow

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 05:29:33 AM »
To obtain Schengen visa there are several types, who can have their own requirements.
For your situation there are two possible visa to request.

First one is the tourist visa.
Tourist visa for Schengen countries have to be applied for to the consulate of:
a) the country of first entry in to Schengen zone
b) the country that is the primary target of travel

In order to obtain tourist visa one must meet the following requirements:
- not be any danger to public health or safety
- having enough means for traveling, which means cost of the trip plus Eur 34 per day.
- having no intention to use the visa for other purposes.

Standard processing time is about three weeks, however can vary depending on time of year and the country applied for.
For some countries it is required to not only have a conformation of return ticket, but also to show a paid hotel reservation in the country of destination. This is not a 'requirement by law' but it is best not to argue with the embassy about it...

It is possible to apply for a tourist/short stay visa by invitation. However this is usually only given for visiting family that is already living in the Schengen zone. A private invitation for meeting a boy/girlfriend is often denied for 'danger of residing'.

Second one is visa for formation of family.
Basic requirements:
- proof of relationship
- future spouse has enough income
- future spouse has residence permission in the EU
- no danger for public health or safety

Every country has the right to set additional requirements such as knowledge of language, culture and other.
Processing time will be over three months, depending on country.

For full information, it would be best to refer to the visa section of the embassy of the country involved. Usually there is a full description of all procedures and requirements for all kinds of visa.
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline Ade

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 05:30:15 AM »

You asked for "thoughts".  You also indicated that your GF tried to follow the process without success so we are unsure what info you think we have that might be different.  I am guessing that you think we can tell you some form or certain office to go to but this area of the world doesn't work that way.  I don't know about Jaded but we live in Kyiv and my wife has 9 Schengens into 6 different countries plus a US visa.  We are trying to help you. 

- Ed

My fiancée's first visas were business related to Germany and France so they helped to pave the way for her tourist visas.  I think that  HJ's girlfriend would be better finding a local agency and get their advice on prices and options.

Offline Col HJ

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 05:51:37 AM »
Okay since I am asking specifics, I'll be more specific. My girl lives in Uzhgorod, on the Hungarian border. The simple way to get there is to fly into Budapest and travel by private car (about 3 hours) to Uzhgorod. I have become friendly with the gentleman (Igor) that drives me and being a very well traveled fellow in eastern Europe and holder of many visas he is fairly savy with said visa process - or so we thought. He also impressed me as being a very genuine sort and I am not easily impressed. Anyways he offered to help my girl with the Shengen visa and subsequently collected all necessary copies and so forth from her on December 2nd.  Also at this time he tells her it will cost $500. Bear in mind we were seeking this visa for her to meet me in Italy in January ( I'm here now ). Just last week he calls and says due to change in laws,more information will be required, she has to show proof of ownership of her business, apartment and her income last year. Hmmm I think, shouldn't this have been part of the original application?? So ultimately I'm trying to sort out if this guy is just taking her for a ride, if he is being lazy/dragging his feet or if the process really is this tough.

My apologies if I seemed a little abrupt earlier, we've been counting on this trip to Italy and now we're both getting a little stressed over the visa situation. thanks to everyone trying to help. HJ
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 05:57:45 AM by Col HJ »

Offline ECOCKS

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 06:04:26 AM »

My advice stands.

Have her call an agency and work out how to deliver her passport and make the payment.  $500 will get you the trip and the visa.

I'd have a word, or maybe 500 of them, with Igor if I were you.

Offline Ade

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 06:25:37 AM »
My advice stands.

Have her call an agency and work out how to deliver her passport and make the payment.  $500 will get you the trip and the visa.

Yes, I agree, but she may have to enter Schengen area via another state that's less hard on single girls travelling to their country (like Finland or maybe France), at least the first time around.

I think Igor possibly thought the process was more straightforward than it turned out to be...

It is possible to apply for a tourist/short stay visa by invitation. However this is usually only given for visiting family that is already living in the Schengen zone. A private invitation for meeting a boy/girlfriend is often denied for 'danger of residing'.

We've done this and it's possible even to very strict countries like Norway as long as you can document the relationship very well, including photos, flights, hotels etc.

Offline Simoni

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 06:44:04 AM »
I have done a number of them, from Ukraine to France, Spain, and the Chez Rep.

Each time, we went the simple way.  Here's how:  Go to a travel agent.  Buy a tourist visit to the city/country you wish her to visit (in your case, Italy).

The cost was air and hotel and food for one week; about $800 to $1200.  The travel agency handled the visa request, and was always successful.

You have to live with their tour hotel.  In Paris, it was in the Russian part of town.  I moved us near the tower area and ate the other hotel room and breakfasts.  It turned out to be a great vacation.

My advice is to dump the guy Igor and go with a travel agency.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 06:47:04 AM by Simoni »

Offline GoodOlBoy

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 07:08:31 AM »
Hello COL HJ.

My experience with Schengen Visa's is pretty old (almost 5 years) but I would have to agree with everybody else. My wife (then girlfriend) was not able to get her first one (Schengen Visa) to Greece without booking a "tour" through an agency.

When she arrived in Athens (at the airport), she informed the tour guide that she was leaving the group. Then we just got into my rental car and went on our way, no problems.

Good Luck.

BTW... The hotel she booked was VERY nice (4 star). It was in Glyfada, right on the sea. Beautiful view and CHEAP!!

GOB
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 07:16:57 AM by GoodOlBoy »
“For God and country, Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo......... Geronimo E.K.I.A.”

Offline GoodOlBoy

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2009, 07:27:33 AM »
My apologies if I seemed a little abrupt earlier, we've been counting on this trip to Italy and now we're both getting a little stressed over the visa situation. HJ

Sorry HJ,

I read through your post so fast I didn't see ITALY.

Italy is especially TOUGH on Schengen Visa's. I know this from my own experience.

You definitely need to go with a travel agency.

GOB

Offline ECOCKS

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 07:47:14 AM »
My advice stands.

Let me backpedal a bit.  I was still remembering that visit me "via Hungary" part of your OP.  Yes, for Italy the tour cost will be higher than $500 but a good tour company can work this out for you/her.

Offline docetae

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2009, 07:48:34 AM »
My wife get her first Schengen visa as business visa. Second one as tourist, based on invitation letter. As it seems both cases will not work in your case, the ONLY way to get the visa with a reasonable amount of success is to go with a travel agency.

One time you are in Schengen space, don't worry, you will do what you want. My wife landed in Paris with a Danish business Visa and we have took immediately after the plane to Venice...
Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes Oscar Wilde

Offline Col HJ

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2009, 08:03:56 AM »
Thanks to all for the advice and sympathetic ear. I was/am fairly ignorant of the Shengen visa, in fact I first heard of it when we began planning this late last year.  And I am under the impression that once you got the first stamp in your passport with a Shengen you could travel at will through any Shengen (i.e. EU) country,this may be the only truth of our long hoped for Italian holiday The important part is that my days in Italy are rapidly evaporating and my girl has no visa. And of course we both are a bit stressed over this. Hopefully this visa magically shits itself on her doorstep in the next 3 or 4 days or it won't matter. The travel agency ideal would have been the plan had I just known, ahem. Her flight from Budapest to Milan was only gonna be $300 so to toss a grand to a tour company (and actually get the visa!) would be gravy. On the bright side we should have a really shitty phone conversation tonight and you just know how arguing, err discussing anything with an FSU lady works out. Thanks to all

Offline docetae

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2009, 08:45:15 AM »
Thanks to all for the advice and sympathetic ear. I was/am fairly ignorant of the Shengen visa, in fact I first heard of it when we began planning this late last year.  And I am under the impression that once you got the first stamp in your passport with a Shengen you could travel at will through any Shengen (i.e. EU) country,this may be the only truth of our long hoped for Italian holiday The important part is that my days in Italy are rapidly evaporating and my girl has no visa. And of course we both are a bit stressed over this. Hopefully this visa magically *snip*s itself on her doorstep in the next 3 or 4 days or it won't matter. The travel agency ideal would have been the plan had I just known, ahem. Her flight from Budapest to Milan was only gonna be $300 so to toss a grand to a tour company (and actually get the visa!) would be gravy. On the bright side we should have a really *snip*ty phone conversation tonight and you just know how arguing, err discussing anything with an FSU lady works out. Thanks to all

usual time to get tourist visa is around 10 days. And yes, one time you enter a Schengen country, you can go where you want in Schengen space (and EU does not equal Schengen Space...).
Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes Oscar Wilde

Offline Shadow

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2009, 09:45:35 AM »
http://www.esteri.it/visti/home_eng.asp

Dal 01.01.2008 è in vigore l’Accordo tra la Comunità europea e l'Ucraina di facilitazione nel rilascio dei visti Schengen.
Poiché, in virtù di tale Accordo, la documentazione giustificativa della finalità del viaggio per alcune categorie di richiedenti può variare rispetto all’elenco generale sottostante, si rimanda alle indicazioni contenute all’interno del sito della Delegazione della Commissione europea in Ucraina.
Il testo completo dell’Accordo è consultabile all’indirizzo www.eur-lex.europa.eu

1. visa application form (click here)
   2. recent passport-style photo
   3. passport or travel document valid for at least three months after visa expiry date
   4. return-trip booking or ticket or proof of available means of personal transport
   5. proof of available lodging in Italy: tourist vouchers, hotel booking, offer of hospitality (click here)
   6. proof of economic means of support, as per Ministry of Interior Directive 1.3.2000(click here)
   7. documentation of socio-professional standing
   8. health insurance policy with a minimum coverage of €30,000 for emergency hospital and repatriation expenses

# Be advised: the Diplomatic or Consular Representation reserves the right to request further documentation

Fees for the processing of visa applications (expressed in Euro):

Single fee for all Schengen visas:
€ 35
On the basis of the Visa Facilitation Agreement with the European Union and this Country, for the processing of a Schengen Visa requested within three days from the date of departure, the payment of 70 euro will be requested to the applicant. (tranne nei casi previsti dall'Art.6 dell'Accordo).
Alcune categorie di richiedenti sono esenti dal pagamento dei diritti per il trattamento delle domande di visto Schengen ai sensi dell'Art.6 dell'Accordo di facilitazione in essere tra questo Paese e l'UE.

Group visas (types A, B and C):
€ 35 + 1 per persona

National visas for long-term stays (type D):
€ 75

Fees to be collected in the national currency of the country in which application is made.

The Hungarian embassy does not have a website up with information.

Offline Col HJ

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2009, 02:39:11 AM »
Good day to all from frozen Crema, Italy. Well the situation is not as dire as I thought, like any FSU woman my girl looks after her kopecks pretty closely,my mistake in thinking she had already paid Igor,when in fact she had not,no money will change hands unless her visa is approved. And without boring everyone with too many details it looks good for her visa to be approved this week. Apparently with the global economic situation Hungary (along with every other country) is tightening up their visa process. My girl told me last night that 80 of 100 Schengen applicants from Ukraine were denied by Hungary in the last month. Our man Igor apparently is pals with a lawyer from Budapest that has some ability to "assist" a schengen application along, which also explains the big fee he quoted my girl - but if it results in a visa is no problem for this gringo. In hind sight yes a tour operator would probably have been the route to go, but as this is an "opportunity" meeting for us relative to my highly irregular work/travel schedule to simply obtain the visa is our preference, rather than committing to a tour that might result in a schedule clash. I'll post an update later in the week.

Lesson # 8,974 in dating an FSU lady - Ask any question that comes to your mind immediately, in a very tactful but explicit fashion lest you find yourself dealing with one extremely pissed off woman. The devil really is in the details - that may or may not be lost with a language/cultural barrier.

Offline Shadow

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2009, 03:05:54 AM »
What I have read from Hungary is that they have a separate visa for Ukrainians living close to the border for work visa, which do not allow them to leave Hungary. With the tough economic situation, many Ukrainians will attempt to get a Schengen visa for Hungary, then to disappear by going to places unknown to find work and a (hopefully) better life.
Taking that in view, it is not strange that Hungary is tight on giving out Schengen visa.

Lets hope that the 'middle man' will prove his worth.  ;)

Offline Tamara

• Commercial Member
  • Online Russian Teacher and Translator
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2009, 08:49:50 AM »
Col HJ,

Best of luck in obtaining the visa for your girl! I've been following the story.  Do post an update later this week.
http://www.PrimeLanguageServices.com
Live Online Russian Lessons and Certified Translations</b>

Offline Mars

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2009, 11:28:35 AM »
[quote author=GoodOlBoy link=topic=8914.msg165545#msg165545
When she arrived in Athens (at the airport), she informed the tour guide that she was leaving the group. Then we just got into my rental car and went on our way, no problems.

BTW... The hotel she booked was VERY nice (4 star). It was in Glyfada, right on the sea. Beautiful view and CHEAP!![/quote]

- - - - - - -

Simoni said he moved his lady into a second hotel and ate the cost of the hotel she had arranged through the tour.

But you are unclear as to whether you did the same, or stayed at the hotel she had booked through the tour.

My question is this:  I know through tours, the people from  FSU can get pretty good package rates for plane, hotel, some meals, etc.

But if a western guy tries to book in at the same hotel to spend time with her, I think his rates would be through the roof.

So how did you do this, and what was your added cost, above what you paid for the tour package for your lady friend.
Mars man looking for Venus woman.

Offline GoodOlBoy

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2009, 01:18:50 PM »
My question is this:  I know through tours, the people from  FSU can get pretty good package rates for plane, hotel, some meals, etc.

"Pretty Good" isn't the words I would use. Five years ago tours were "DIRT CHEAP" for Russian Travellers.

I can only speak for 5 years ago. Back then Russian Citizen's could get a comparable tour for about 60% LESS than what I would have to pay here in the GoodOl' USA.

When my wife and I went on our second trip together (Thailand) it was also 60 percent less than what I could do. I just flew into Moscow (Russian Business Visa) and met the tour group at SVO and then flew on to Bangkok. Again 4 star hotels, Bangkok and Pattaya Beach, Breakfast (a real spread of good food and fruits, not coffee and doughnuts), A couple of site tours, etc. REAL NICE. 

Simoni said he moved his lady into a second hotel and ate the cost of the hotel she had arranged through the tour. But you are unclear as to whether you did the same, or stayed at the hotel she had booked through the tour.

Hello Mars.

I am going to hear the "Hounds of Hell" (from RWD members) for the story I am about to tell you, BUT, here goes:

Note to Newbies: Don't ever do what I did, unless you have money to waste.

Now that I have gotten all of that out of the way.

Did you read the RWD 10 commandments Mars?

Well...GoodOlBoy broke several of them meeting his future wife.

Commandment #1: Never send money to someone you have never met.

Well I did it. But I have to tell you the $2400. I Western Unioned my wife was nothing compared to what I lost in my 401K plan last year!

Anyway after several discussions and plans to meet each other that fell through, I decided to meet my wife in Greece. After checking the rates for a 3 star hotel for 2 weeks, 2 rooms of course, flight to and from America and Russia (I wouldn't expect my wife to pay for her own flight) it was going to cost me in the ballpark of $5800.

I quite proudly emailed and showed everything to my wife.

She asked me politely "Are you crazy?"

She went down to her travel agency in Omsk and came back with a figure of around $2400. Mind you, this was for 2 rooms, 2 weeks in a 4 star hotel, on the water, breakfast included, her airfare from Siberia, Schengen Visa, a couple of site tours, everything.

The only thing I had to do was buy my own airfare. Which 5 years ago was around $650. from Miami.

If I remember correctly, she emailed me the name of the hotel in Glyfada (Athens), I
checked it out on the internet and it looked GREAT.

I Western Unioned the $2400. to my wife and the rest is history.  We met at the airport in Athens and left the group in my rental car, BUT we did stay at the hotel and our own beautiful rooms (with balconies) and I also got the extra bonus of being around A LOT of other Russians who were staying at this particular hotel.

I never had any doubt in my mind about my wife's veracity. To give you just a little background on my wife. She had a VERY good job in Russia as an Economist/Accountant for a large company in Siberia. She had her own flat, bought and paid for. FLUENT in the English language. She showed me an album of all of her travels, she travelled to MANY countries with her girlfriends before she met me (and I don't mean the cheap countries like Turkey either). She was doing quite well in her life without GoodOlBoy.

To this day, I still don't know what she saw in me, but she saw something and here we are.

BTW, when we got to the hotel and settled into our rooms she came to my room and
knocked on the door and said there was something she had to show me. She pulled out $200. from her pocket and said it was left over from the booking.  :D

Of course we spent that $200. and more while we were there.

You know, that pesky Euro exchange rate.  :wallbash:

GOB

OK RWD...I know I broke the "Golden Rule"....let the "howling" begin.  :evil:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 08:07:23 PM by GoodOlBoy »

Offline Mars

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2009, 01:41:59 PM »
She went down to her travel agency in Omsk and came back with a figure of around $2400. Mind you, this was for 2 rooms, 2 weeks in a 4 star hotel, on the water, breakfast included, her airfare from Siberia, Schengen Visa, a couple of site tours, everything.

The only thing I had to do was buy my own airfare. Which 5 years ago was around $650. from Miami.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

But please, one more clarification, or repeat clarification if you wish.

As I understand from what you wrote above, your lady was able to make package tour which included:

1) airfare for only herself.
2) room for herself.
3) room for you.

The reason that I belobor this point, is that I have been told by more than one travel agency that it is impossible to do.  The tour agencies and companies package together the flights AND hotels in a way such that a huge discount is involved; BUT each party (air and hotel) does NOT want it to be known what their part of the huge discount is.   

For that reason, as I have been told, the tour agencies are not able to cobble together a deal for only part of it . . . hotel only for you in this case.

But maybe they booked the hotel only for you; at prices above tour package rates.

Still a confusing topic for me to get a handle on.   :)

Thanks for your continued patience with me.
Mars man looking for Venus woman.

Offline Col HJ

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2009, 03:39:17 PM »
Well the book comes to an unfortunate close, just spoke to my girl an hour ago and there will be no Schengen visa or trip to Italy....at least not for a while. The lawyer pal of Igor the cab dude tells her today that Hungary (unofficially of course) is not issuing any visas to Ukrainian citizens. There are - understandably - some extremely hard feelings between Hungary and Ukraine now with the Russian gas crunch. And so Hungary says no mas to helping any Ukrainian whilst they they are freezing. Not unreasonable I suppose. Anyways said lawyer pal recommends to my girl not to even submit her application for a few weeks. So your good Col HJ after near 3 months of anticipating a romantic 2 week holiday in Italy with my wonderful  girl will board a plane Monday and head back to Tejas. I had all plans to go and see her if the visa fell through but the mother ship is covered with work and begging for my presence. And in all likelihood it will be April before my schedule will permit me another chance to see her. Yeah I'm VERY disappointed, and now we're facing another 3 months apart. Vodka anyone?? I'm only lacking her signatures to submit our K-1 package,hopefully that goes a little smoother.

A heartfelt thanks to everyone for your support and advice.

Online Faux Pas

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2009, 05:10:21 PM »
Well the book comes to an unfortunate close, just spoke to my girl an hour ago and there will be no Schengen visa or trip to Italy....at least not for a while. The lawyer pal of Igor the cab dude tells her today that Hungary (unofficially of course) is not issuing any visas to Ukrainian citizens. There are - understandably - some extremely hard feelings between Hungary and Ukraine now with the Russian gas crunch. And so Hungary says no mas to helping any Ukrainian whilst they they are freezing. Not unreasonable I suppose. Anyways said lawyer pal recommends to my girl not to even submit her application for a few weeks. So your good Col HJ after near 3 months of anticipating a romantic 2 week holiday in Italy with my wonderful  girl will board a plane Monday and head back to Tejas. I had all plans to go and see her if the visa fell through but the mother ship is covered with work and begging for my presence. And in all likelihood it will be April before my schedule will permit me another chance to see her. Yeah I'm VERY disappointed, and now we're facing another 3 months apart. Vodka anyone?? I'm only lacking her signatures to submit our K-1 package,hopefully that goes a little smoother.

A heartfelt thanks to everyone for your support and advice.

Thats too bad ColHJ, it has to be heartbreaking. Prepare for a lengthy wait on the K-1.

Offline BC

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2009, 05:34:28 PM »
Would probably have been better off applying at the Italian Consulate in the first place..

Offline Shadow

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2009, 12:27:35 AM »
Sorry to hear it, I hope next time you will be more lucky in the meeting.

Offline GoodOlBoy

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2009, 08:00:10 AM »
Well the book comes to an unfortunate close, just spoke to my girl an hour ago and there will be no Schengen visa or trip to Italy....at least not for a while.

Sorry to hear about this COL HJ. I know how important it is to spend time with your lady.

I have been to several of the "Schengen" countries and my favorite is the CZ Republic.

The culture, the unbelievable architecture, the castles and just the general atmosphere is VERY relaxing and it allowed my wife and I to "recharge" our batteries.

I study weaponry as a hobby.

Yeah..... GoodOlBoy was that crazy 60's kid that made "potato/tennis ball mortars" out of junk in my Dad's garage.

Anyway, there was a real cool indoor crossbow shooting gallery at the city center in Prague. My wife and I went there and shot some bolts (arrows).

The crossbow is a pretty wicked weapon.  :evil:

Good luck in future plans.

GOB
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 09:38:02 AM by GoodOlBoy »

Offline GoodOlBoy

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2009, 08:14:19 AM »
Thanks for the detailed reply.
But please, one more clarification, or repeat clarification if you wish.
As I understand from what you wrote above, your lady was able to make package tour which included:
1) airfare for only herself.
2) room for herself.
3) room for you.
The reason that I belobor this point, is that I have been told by more than one travel agency that it is impossible to do.....

Hello Mars.

I wanted to check with my wife before answering your question.

After all she did arrange for all of our trips.

My wife said she had absolutely NO problem booking an extra room with our tours. She did not have to pay any extra airfare or anything else.

Also, she did get the "extra" room at the same discounted price that she paid for her room. Not one penny more.

She told me last night that if your girl goes to her agency and can't get you an extra room in a travel package, then your girl needs to check with other agencies in her town.

If your girl is in Omsk, my wife can give you the name and address of her travel agency if you want?

Anyway, have a safe journey and best of luck.

GOB
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 08:17:08 AM by GoodOlBoy »

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541457