It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Music I love  (Read 344638 times)

Offline SANDRO43

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Re: Music I love
« Reply #1550 on: December 25, 2016, 02:55:40 PM »
Galántai Táncok (Dances of Galánta)
A 1933 orchestral work by Zoltán Kodály (1882–1967)

I am not too fond of Kodály's music since it contains too many dissonances for my taste, more than in his fellow Hungarian composer Béla Bartók's (1881–1945).

However, some years ago I was pleasantly surprised, at a concert given by a Hungarian orchestra in an abbey south of Milan, of hearing for the first time this beautiful 15' piece, full of echoes of Jewish and gypsy music.
The piece was composed on commission for the 80th anniversary of the Budapest Philharmonic Society. It is based on folk music of Galanta (now part of Slovakia, where Kodály lived for several years.) The composer remarked: "At that time there existed a famous gypsy band...This was the first 'orchestral' sonority that came to the ears of the child...About 1800 some books of Hungarian dances were published in Vienna, one of which contained music 'after several Gypsies from Galánta'...The piece recalls the two-part slow-fast structure of the traditional verbunkos music: it opens with a slow introduction moving to a clarinet cadenza and andante maestoso section, followed by four fast dance sections. The faster sections adopt a characteristic syncopated rhythm..

I hastened to purchase the full orchestral score and made a MIDI of it, which I put on the Concert Hall page of my website (http://www.floriani.it/hall-eng.htm).

Merry Xmas to all.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 03:15:21 PM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #1551 on: December 26, 2016, 07:45:48 PM »
Other Gypsy Melodies in Classical Music

Another Hungarian composer availing himself of his country's folk music was Franz Liszt ((1811–1886), who wrote several Hungarian Rhapsodies for piano solo, e.g. No.2:

A non-Hungarian composer also fascinated by gypsy music was German Johannes Brahms (1833–1897), who wrote no less than 21 Ungarische Tänze (Hungarian dances) for piano/orchestra. Below the complete set (48'-long ;)):

Hungarian composer Béla Bartók (1881-1945) was also interested in music from his native Romania, another country with a rich gypsy heritage:

« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 07:53:34 PM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #1552 on: February 23, 2017, 05:42:19 PM »
The Concerto Grosso

A form of Baroque music in which the musical material is passed between a small group of soloists (the concertino) and full orchestra (the ripieno or concerto grosso), in contrast to the solo concerto (a single solo instrument accompanied by the orchestra), and the later symphony (orchestra only).

Alessandro Stradella (1639–1682) seems to have written the first music in which two groups of different sizes are combined in that characteristic way.

The name was first used by Giovanni Lorenzo Gregori (1663-1745) in a set of 10 compositions published in 1698.

The first major composer to use the term concerto grosso was Arcangelo Corelli (1653–1713), who arranged 12 for publication in 1714. Corelli's concertino consisted of two violins and a cello, with a string section as ripieno. Both were accompanied by a basso continuo with some combination of harpsichord, organ, lute or theorbo (a type of lute).

He was followed by Georg Friedrich Handel (1685-1759), who also wrote 12.

Later Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750) wrote his 6 Brandenburg Concertos:

The basso continuo provided by keyboards like harpsichord or organ served to provide a solid harmonic base from fixed-pitch instruments to the other, variable-pitch instruments (the strings).

Nowadays an orchestra pitch is usually set at 440 Hz by an A4 played by the oboe.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 05:53:44 PM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #1553 on: March 16, 2017, 05:26:13 PM »
Almost a year ago on June 12, 9, 2016 the Filarmonica della Scala directed by Maestro Riccardo Chailly, also Musical Director of our Teatro alla Scala, performed in Milan's central Piazza Duomo, before an enthusiatic audience of more then 40,000 people a free concert featuring well-known music like Paul Duka's L'apprenti sorcier, Igor Strawinski's L'oiseu de feu, Meurice Ravel's Piano concerto in G with Martha Argerich and his famous Bolero:

I am particularly appreciative of Meurice Ravel's work, I consider him one of the ablest musical orchestrators of all time. Who else could have written a 14-minute piece of music consisting of a phrase of just 2 bars and and equally long sub-phrase, alternating single solo instruments, then 2, then more,  then the whole orchestra, without boring the audience ;)?

The most involved instrument is the snare drum, having to play the alternating 2-beat base Bolero rhythm throughout.

Obviously, listening to it in the company of Bo Derek as in 10 is an altogether different experience :D.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 05:37:21 PM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #1554 on: March 16, 2017, 11:01:16 PM »
Well, Bo Derek did introduce a lot of people to finer music. :)

Rufus Wainwright agrees with you about Ravel.  Here is his homage to Ravel.

After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Music I love.... RIP Chuck
« Reply #1555 on: March 18, 2017, 04:21:42 PM »

Chuck Berry died today at age 90     

« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 04:26:07 PM by tfcrew »
~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline JayH

• Trips: > 10
Re: Music I love.... RIP Chuck
« Reply #1556 on: March 18, 2017, 04:59:57 PM »

Chuck Berry died today at age 90     

RIP 
One of the greatest influences of  music that followed for over 60 years .
Not just a great performer but writer extraordinaire !
This is not the greatest recording as such-- but just a great show !

« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 05:07:34 PM by JayH »
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #1557 on: March 19, 2017, 01:45:56 AM »
Strongly agree with JayH ( frame it!)

SC called me at 2am from Thailand ( I had foolishly asked for such an alarm call !)

We share news from where we are  and the death of Chuck Berry came up.  She had never heard of him.  Now she knows about how the likes of Chuck Berry and Muddy Waters influenced the likes of the Rolling Stones

A shared screen in Skype and this video put her straight:

There was a campaign to have this banned on UK TV/ Radio, which only made it more popular

Not his original work - but it brought his skills to my attention
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 01:49:55 AM by msmob »

Offline tfcrew

« Reply #1558 on: March 19, 2017, 05:34:26 AM »
Joni Sledge passed away Mar 10 at only age 60 

~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #1559 on: March 20, 2017, 06:07:31 PM »
CLASSICAL GUITAR MUSIC

This is mostly the domain of Spanish composers, like for instance Francisco Tárrega (1852-1909) who wrote one of its best known pieces, Recuerdos de la Alhambra, here played by Narciso Yepes on the 10-string guitar he invented:

However others like Brazilian Heitor Villa-Lobos (1887–1959), here playing his Prelúdio no. 1, loved the instrument:

Not many know that many famous Spanish guitarists were preceded by Mauro Giuliani  (1781-1829):

The guitar has limited dynamics thus few attempted to compose concertos for it and orchestra. One exception is Joaquín Rodrigo (1901-1999) and his Concierto d'Aranjuez (1939), where you'll notice the guitar is mostly silent when other 'heavier' instruments play.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 06:11:55 PM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #1560 on: March 25, 2017, 06:06:24 PM »
Arturo Toscanini
(March 25, 1867–January 16, 1957)
Arturo Toscanini was an Italian conductor. He was one of the most acclaimed musicians of the late 19th and of the 20th century, renowned for his intensity, his perfectionism, his ear for orchestral detail and sonority, and his eidetic memory. He was at various times the music director of La Scala in Milan, the Metropolitan Opera in New York, and the New York Philharmonic Orchestra. Later in his career he was appointed the first music director of the NBC Symphony Orchestra (1937–54), and this led to his becoming a household name (especially in the United States) through his radio and television broadcasts and many recordings of the operatic and symphonic repertoire...He conducted at the Salzburg Festival (1934–1937), as well as the 1936 inaugural concert of the Palestine Orchestra (later renamed the Israel Philharmonic Orchestra) in Tel Aviv...The NBC Symphony Orchestra was created for him in 1937.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arturo_Toscanini

Celebrations were held today at La Scala in Milan, in Rome and other Italian cities of his 150 birth anniversary.

He was quite a strict character, rumoured to have hit a recalcitrant violinist on the head with his snatched instrument :D. I owe him my introduction to Beethoven's 9 symphonies on 33 1/2 rpm vinyls, purchased as a teenager with some sacrifice as a Reader's Digest album collection.

Some later critics maintained he was conducting Beethoven too fast, an unlikely accusation considering his strict musical philology and the fact that Beethoven was among the first to add metronome values to his scores in addition to the more "elastic" tempo designations of Allegro, Andante, etc. as you can see from the opening of his 7th symphony, one of Toscanini's favourites, where the initial Allegretto movement is marked as crotchet=76:

« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 06:13:10 PM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #1561 on: March 26, 2017, 06:50:09 AM »
Date night for wifey and I last night. Fantastic evening. Had a wonderful dinner and went to see Jesus Christ Superstar at Thousand Oaks. My favorite Broadway performance of all time. Mrs. GQBlues looked her incredibly best AGAIN!!!

The only wrinkle in the evening was JC will never be JC unless you see it with the original 1973 cast of Ted Neely (JC), Carl Anderson (Judas) and Yvonne Elliman (Mary Magdalene). Here's Neely's 'Gethsamane' performance in NY 2006...

JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR

Eat your heart out Michael Crawford!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 06:51:46 AM by GQBlues »
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline JohnDearGreen

• It's 5 o'clock somewhere...
« Reply #1562 on: April 17, 2017, 07:18:08 PM »
take me far away from the battle

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #1563 on: April 21, 2017, 06:10:54 PM »
George Enescu
1881–1955

Romanian composer, violinist, pianist, conductor and teacher, he is regarded by many as his country's most important musician.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 06:16:40 PM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline tfcrew

« Reply #1564 on: May 28, 2017, 08:07:39 AM »
Greg Allman died this weekend....

Offline Boethius

« Reply #1565 on: May 31, 2017, 10:52:20 AM »
Sandro, do you remember this?  We used to listen to Joe Dassin in school French lessons -

After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #1566 on: May 31, 2017, 02:49:15 PM »
Sandro, do you remember this?
No, never heard it before. We did not hear much French music after Edith Piaf, 'Existentialists' like Juliette Greco and Yves Montand and later Dalida, Charles Aznavour, Sylvie Vartan and such.

In 1993 this was a 'summer hit' here, too:

Milan's "Duomo"

Offline tfcrew

« Reply #1567 on: June 03, 2017, 07:29:31 PM »

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #1568 on: June 04, 2017, 06:38:47 AM »
The Procul Harum "borrowed" ;) quite a bit from this:

Milan's "Duomo"

Offline Boethius

« Reply #1569 on: July 11, 2017, 09:01:03 PM »
We listen to a great deal of Bach at home.  The better half's favourite composer. :)  I love Mozart, but he doesn't.

I ran across this and enjoyed it -

Offline Boethius

« Reply #1570 on: August 07, 2017, 07:43:23 PM »
Have always loved this underrated song -

Offline BdHvA

« Reply #1571 on: August 08, 2017, 07:14:23 AM »
And some complain about driving in Moscow or Kiev!

Experierence is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you. A. Huxley

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #1572 on: August 09, 2017, 07:09:30 AM »
A song from about 1839 ;D, connected with my recent interests in things nautical:

I believe Irish Step dancing was the precursor of Tip-tap dancing:

Milan's "Duomo"

Offline BdHvA

« Reply #1573 on: August 09, 2017, 07:58:21 PM »
My guess the Riverdance number is from the 80's ~ amazing!  :clapping:

As for songs about sailing there is the following:

than again there is also

That should keep Commodore Sandro busy!

Experierence is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you. A. Huxley

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #1574 on: August 10, 2017, 04:43:18 AM »
My guess the Riverdance number is from the 80's ~ amazing!  :clapping:
Actually it was somewhat later ;):
Riverdance was first performed during the seven-minute interval of the 1994 Eurovision Song Contest at the Point Theatre in Dublin on 30 April 1994.

Later lead dancer Michael Flatley left Riverdance and created the Lord of the Dance and Feet of Flames shows:

In May 1989, Flatley set a Guinness Book world record for tapping speed at 28 taps per second, and subsequently broke his own record in 1998 with 35 taps per second :o.

Milan's "Duomo"

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541008
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1866
Total: 1877

+-Recent Posts

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM