It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: I am a Russian woman. I am happy to answer all your questions  (Read 32772 times)

Offline Gator

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: I am a Russian woman. I am happy to answer all your questions
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2014, 06:54:26 AM »
So how do the male scams operate? what is it that they are doing?

1.   Identifying women who are lonely perhaps overweight, lacking in self-esteem, and getting up in years. 2.   Sending photos of a handsome man.
3.   Describing himself in ways that identify a confident and intelligent man.
4.   Writing a string of letters that praise the woman's inner beauty.
5.   Increasing the depth and number of romantic thoughts.
6.   Claiming he can no longer wait and must travel to her city to meet her.
7.   Etc.

In your words, "Now there's a twist." ;)

One RW told me of a Turkish man who fleeced a few hundred $ from her not so beautiful (on the outside) friend.

Offline Lily

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2014, 07:18:40 AM »
Now there's a twist.  And every bit as nasty.  Any word as to what the police said about it?

My guess would be that this story became public because the victim actually reported it to the police.

What do you mean by what the police said about it? The source is here http://vd-tv.ru/news.php?2970 Are they supposed to comment it?

Btw, one of the reader's comment to that story is interesting. 'Yankee Double Whiskey' writes that one of his friends corresponded with an American who was deployed in Kabul. He wrote her passionate letters, told about hardships of the military service. Once he told that they found a vehicle with lots of cash in it, and his share would be one and half millions of dollars. He asked the woman to receive this money for him and to pay the 'diplomatic postal tax' amount of $3500, otherwise the package will be opened and the money discovered. When the woman wrote him back that she is going to report that to Interpol and to the American embassy, the guy became furious.

There is also a thread where I tell about my mother's experience with a male scammer on EM - http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=16342.0

« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 07:34:27 AM by Lily »
Da, da, Canada; Nyet, nyet, Soviet!

Offline jone

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2014, 08:33:01 AM »
Lily,

That's a variation of the Nigerian E-Mail scam.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2014, 12:11:31 PM »
The male vacation scam is very common. We have a cousin from Volgograd who several years ago was corresponding with an AM. There were red flags but women are just as susceptible to scams as are men, and she ignored them at first. He promised to visit her in Volgograd but soon thereafter told her that he was scheduled to be in Peter for a few days "on business" and wanted her to meet and stay with him there. He also added some juicy details about the type of lingerie she should bring for their time together. She was to pay her own way to Peter.

When she wrote back that she was hoping that he could instead come to Volgograd soon and that she had made it clear that the first visit would be to get to know each other and meet family and see the city, not a sex visit, he disappeared into the woodwork. Clearly he never intended to visit her city and the family, but thought that she'd be a nice "lay" for a quick weekend trip to Peter.

The idea of men who ask women for naked photos, the perverted notion that they need to see what they're buying before committing to a trip, is very common. That isn't just Western men either. Pigs are pigs even at home.
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline Daveman

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2014, 12:31:32 PM »

My guess would be that this story became public because the victim actually reported it to the police.

Yes, I read it and the last line pretty much ends with "she reported it to police" with no further detail.  My query was to the possibility of the the story containing what the police told the woman when she filed her report.  "There's nothing we can do." "This is common." "This is unusual."... that kind of thing but it seems that wasn't documented.
The duty of a true patriot is to protect his country from its government. -- Thomas Paine

Offline Lily

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2014, 12:46:27 PM »
Daveman, as far as I am familiar with the criminal process in Russia, they take her application, open a file and start investigating. The file can be open for years.
Da, da, Canada; Nyet, nyet, Soviet!

Offline JayH

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2014, 02:36:20 PM »
Yes. percentage of scammers and perverts just huge!!! But I do not in any way that I can say about Elena's Moders. On the percentage of scammers paid sites less, but there they are.

That is my understanding also. I have heard many horror stories from girls.It is all to easy for guys to think they are the only potential victims in internet 'dating' .
If you think about it-- much of interaction is in English-- so the nuances and subtleties of language that might set of an alarm to a natural English speaker can easily be lost in translation or limited understanding.
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline missAmeno

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2014, 09:32:37 PM »
Yes, I read it and the last line pretty much ends with "she reported it to police" with no further detail.  My query was to the possibility of the the story containing what the police told the woman when she filed her report.  "There's nothing we can do." "This is common." "This is unusual."... that kind of thing but it seems that wasn't documented.
Not in a police :D but can say attempts to scam are common. It is not possible to say how many actually get scammed.
Few years back when was registered on mamba there was no one day without receiving at least one message from USA soldiers deployed in Afghanistan. At first without knowing that it is well known dating sites scam I replied to one. He was a doctor for united nations, was about to finish his contract, had saved one million dollars and intended to open his own clinic ones he returns to USA but was too curious if I own my home, what is my income, etc. It was obvious for me that it is a scam but someone with limited English or little knowledge of western life could have believed. Guy on pics was very handsome  :D

Offline Елена

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2014, 10:56:39 AM »

scammers quite inventive, but they all ask for money under various pretexts, sooner or later. (This may be officers in Afghanistan , widowers , who alone raise their children , sailors or businessmen now in Africa). Just need to look carefully at the letter . There are some members of the gang , but there are scammers -goers . First write letters , not responding to your questions and not sending more than 3 photos. Other scammers - much more resourceful - they have an individual approach is mostly gigolos . Lately scammers even communicate through Skype . - It seems that broadcast recording.

Offline ML

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2014, 01:46:11 PM »
Come on boys and girls!!

First, let's not confuse scams involving money with other situations that  only involve false romantic interests.

Come up with another name for the latter, so as to not dilute the meaning of the concept 'scam.'

Second, no matter how many money scams anyone can report regarding men getting money from women . . . such are a mere drop in the bucket compared to the scams that get money from men.

The men and women here who throw about the word scam are merely trying to fool themselves into believing that money scams are somewhat equal in both directions.

Get real; show some honesty.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2014, 06:07:18 PM »
ML, I believe the number of actual scams on men are very low, but pigs squeal the loudest when hurt. I think that if stories were investigated and we stripped out the truth, most of the scams aren't scams at all but men who have been turned down by a gal.

However, when it really happens a scam is a scam is a scam regardless of money. Tricking a lady into spending a weekend or week for sex when the guy is really not interested, or he is even married, is just as much a scam as the vacation or shopping tricks pulled by a woman.
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline missAmeno

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2014, 07:46:31 AM »
Second, no matter how many money scams anyone can report regarding men getting money from women . . . such are a mere drop in the bucket compared to the scams that get money from men.

It is hard to judge who is scammed more in MOB but in general ... some enlightening statistics for you to ponder about  ;)

More than 10 percent of all reported online financial losses last year — about $56 million out of $525 million overall — involved romance scams, the center reported in its 2012 crime roundup.

The IC3 report tabulated that 29 percent of those specifically targeted in such scams last year were women 50 and older:

But they got taken for more than $34 million — 61 percent of all losses to such cons:

By comparison, everybody else — younger women and all male victims — reported only $22 million in losses, according to the report.
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/14/18255848-older-women-most-likely-to-click-with-online-romance-scam-artists?lite

Offline missAmeno

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2014, 08:00:12 AM »
I believe the number of actual scams on men are very low, but pigs squeal the loudest when hurt.

:ROFL:

Offline Konfushus

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2014, 04:19:28 PM »
To missAmeno - Those are interesting statistics for sure, but inconclusive. They are very limited and because of this can be interpreted in many ways.

First, these are reported scams. One could conclude that women report scams more often than men and that older people report scams more often than younger people.

Second, this is information from the IC3. The overall low volume of reports indicates either that romance scams are not a significant issue (4500 reports among the millions of people using romance sites on the net) or - more likely - that most people don't use or even are aware of IC3.

A lot of people report scams to their local police (because they don't know where else to report it). It would be interesting to see some data that included 10s or 100s of thousands of reports. There has to be a lot more people falling for romance scams than 4500 per year. Don't you think?

Offline missAmeno

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2014, 07:37:03 PM »
To missAmeno - Those are interesting statistics for sure, but inconclusive. They are very limited and because of this can be interpreted in many ways.

First, these are reported scams. One could conclude that women report scams more often than men and that older people report scams more often than younger people.

Second, this is information from the IC3. The overall low volume of reports indicates either that romance scams are not a significant issue (4500 reports among the millions of people using romance sites on the net) or - more likely - that most people don't use or even are aware of IC3.

A lot of people report scams to their local police (because they don't know where else to report it). It would be interesting to see some data that included 10s or 100s of thousands of reports. There has to be a lot more people falling for romance scams than 4500 per year. Don't you think?

I agree with you but I think at this moment and time there is no better statistics. The fact that IC3 processed 289,874 complaints in one year is impressive. Right now it is about making people aware of IC3 and reporting internet crimes in order that in few years time better data/analysis available.

For those who interested full report is here
http://www.ic3.gov/media/annualreport/2012_ic3report.pdf

What I find shocking is amount of money. $55,991,601.08 per 4,476 cases means each person in those cases was on average scammed for $12,509.29

EDIT: I just looked at 'Complainant Loss by Victim Country' (not just romance scams but all complains)

Russia - $1,575,918.31
Ukraine - $420,674.23

:o
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 07:42:35 PM by missAmeno »

Offline ML

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2014, 09:33:32 PM »
Again . . . let's get real here.

I can believe older western women getting scammed for money via a romance scheme;

but it simply cannot be happening in the situation of WM and FSUW to any significant extent.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline ML

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2014, 09:40:16 PM »
ML, I believe the number of actual scams on men are very low, but pigs squeal the loudest when hurt. I think that if stories were investigated and we stripped out the truth, most of the scams aren't scams at all but men who have been turned down by a gal.

However, when it really happens a scam is a scam is a scam regardless of money. Tricking a lady into spending a weekend or week for sex when the guy is really not interested, or he is even married, is just as much a scam as the vacation or shopping tricks pulled by a woman.

Jim, I am very disappointed with your remarks in this  regard.

There are ongoing threads here that report in great detail the scam operations  that involve the letter writing and even Skype calls via the agencies in FSU.

It is reported by many women that they participate in such schemes for good money; and even many of them are married to FSUM while continuing to participate in this.

I don't have reference to the threads right now, but you well know what they are and there are estimates of hundreds of millions of dollars per year involved.

There is nothing even remotely comparable to this involving WM obtaining money from FSUW.

Offline Елена

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2014, 12:56:25 AM »
Нowever, when it really happens a scam is a scam is a scam regardless of money. Tricking a lady into spending a weekend or week for sex when the guy is really not interested, or he is even married, is just as much a scam as the vacation or shopping tricks pulled by a woman.
I think it's a very important point. Percentage of women who have sex tourism, or to humiliate men and domestic violence in the family is much less. People just have to come to the first meeting in the hometown of women and do not be lazy to do it. Then everything will be much clearer. No woman in Russia has made a declaration to the police if they see someone's penis on Skype. Also, now the scammers often ask small amount of money. Nobody in Russia will go to the police for 30-500 dollars - it's useless!I think women have more problems with dating sites. In addition to simple Mosheyniki there are sex tourists and maniacs, domestic violence.

Offline jazztropy

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2014, 01:49:18 AM »
What is mosheyniki

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2014, 02:18:28 AM »
What is mosheyniki

мошенники = scammers

Offline cojack

« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2014, 12:37:07 PM »
Someone with "69" in their MSN username should probably expect people to not take them seriously.  Elena, do you give that MSN username out to men?

Offline Елена

« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2014, 02:47:38 AM »
Someone with "69" in their MSN username should probably expect people to not take them seriously.  Elena, do you give that MSN username out to men?

Seems odd my email address? I do not understand why. I do not see the problem. This is my only email address and of course I'm giving it to all with whom I keep in touch with (colleagues, friends, acquaintances)

Offline Елена

« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2014, 05:05:43 AM »
I then something that explained. Yes ... an embarrassment.

Offline Daveman

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2014, 07:23:37 AM »
I then something that explained. Yes ... an embarrassment.

Many would consider it a year of birth and not think much of it at all.  Still, for the purpose of communication on the internet, it's best to avoid anything that could give rise to unwanted attention.
The duty of a true patriot is to protect his country from its government. -- Thomas Paine

Offline whynotme

« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2014, 09:42:04 AM »
I love to read letters from American generals in Afghanistan. Only letters from the dead suddenly died from cancer or a car crash may be more exciting ;).

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541017
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2377
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 2361
Total: 2372

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Today at 09:57:04 PM

Re: Plumber earnings by Trenchcoat
Today at 09:37:55 PM

Plumber earnings by ML
Today at 07:49:26 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Today at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Today at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM