It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Rookie Questions  (Read 12404 times)

Offline possum

Re: Rookie Questions
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2008, 02:39:13 AM »
You forget that humour is the ultimate form of flattery.  ;)

Well, that too!. :D
Why get a ball and chain when you can get the milk for free?

Offline Doll

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2008, 05:15:10 AM »
As for humor , guys, people who speak the second language and this language is not good always have problems and it is natural - it takes time to just understand the meaning and then humor (if there is any at all). Add some difference in the way people joke in different cultures, also add a big stress of the situation itself.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 06:22:27 AM by Doll »

Offline Mars

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2008, 02:28:35 PM »
Is your humor sophisticated or silly?  RW detest silly humor.  

Maybe it is all a question about what is silly; but I have more than once been in the company of Russian adults who fall out of their chairs laughing while watching what I consider to be very silly movies.  The movies were in Russian, but I could tell by the actions of the characters that it was essentially what we call slapstick comedy with juvenile pratfalls.  And my fellow movie watchers were quite educated and sophisticated in other respects.
Mars man looking for Venus woman.

Offline Gator

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2008, 03:44:19 PM »
Possum, I really appreciate your observations.  Keep posting, please.

Offline OlgaH

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2008, 03:53:11 PM »
So he makes one joke about Putin every two years, and I have to believe he's an impartial comedian?. Come on, Olga..

possum did I say something about "believing" or did I make some comments?  ::)  ;) You have said "Never, that I know of..." and I posted one that I know, that's all   ;D
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 03:55:30 PM by OlgaH »

Offline possum

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2008, 03:47:40 AM »
possum did I say something about "believing" or did I make some comments?  ::)  ;) You have said "Never, that I know of..." and I posted one that I know, that's all   ;D

So you don't think he's an impartial comedian, or do you?. I'm confused.. :-[

Offline possum

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2008, 03:53:27 AM »
Possum, I really appreciate your observations.  Keep posting, please.

Zadornov is well-known for his contempt for journalists, and this is in a country where journalists are killed all the time.. just goes to show you how closely his views are aligned with the Kremlin doctrine.. ;)

Offline Mishenka

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2008, 10:50:28 AM »
Thanks for the mailing advise MISHENKA.

I have to say I was not looking for an RW to date or marry I just saw the web sites ad and clicked on it.  I do OK dating here in Michigan though, I don't date a lot due to work and I also went back to collage (part time).  Since I have been drawn into this "other world" I will go visit, I am aiming for late in 2009.  I have been married twice and divorced the same.  The reason I asked about her son is I lost custody of my youngest and the last thing I want to do is take a kid away from their parent.  I just didn't know how that sort of thing worked over there.  I have to wait for my Russian class's until the fall so I am trying to get some personal/private lessons from one of the members of RWD (her name escapes me at the moment) it would be nice to talk with some ladies in there native tongue on the phone and to have the ability to speak intelligently when I visit.  She has never said anything about an illness and she never did ask for the gifts.  I made the offer......that was of course before I started reading RWD.

I have a question for you MISHENKA.  Is it possible I could use your friend to deliever some flowers for me and get a photo of it?  I would be willing to pay for the delivery or if you know of any place that does this could you let me know?  If I use the web site to do this it cost something like $200-300 USD thats just to much for flowers.

I did goggle the address and ended up getting a Aeriel photo of what looks like downtown Odessa so I think the address is good but you never know!

Thanks

We never use web sites to send flowers. You could easily pay a months rent in Odessa with USD $300.   It's great when you have friends in other countries to help with flowers. Im my case I have traveld in Europe, Russia, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, and have friends in various cities. I will check and see if I can make contact in Odessa with some friends. It has been several years since I used these email addresses. I do have friends in Kiev and in Zaporozhia and other small towns in Ukraine. Some are on my Skype contact list. It's a matter of sending emails and see who answers. The address she is using could be anyones. If you do as I did you will have some proof flowers arrived. There are many ways to check IP addresses to see what email server they use, what city the originating IP address is in, etc. You can check phone numbers and address listed with tha number, there are many ways to play detective and get info. I have a few friends who live near me in USA that are from Odessa and might have contacts to send flowers for you. We all have much to learn, da? I am so lucky to find a woman I trust with my life!  poka, poka
Mishenka

Offline Shadow

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2008, 12:52:15 PM »
Maybe it is all a question about what is silly; but I have more than once been in the company of Russian adults who fall out of their chairs laughing while watching what I consider to be very silly movies.  The movies were in Russian, but I could tell by the actions of the characters that it was essentially what we call slapstick comedy with juvenile pratfalls.  And my fellow movie watchers were quite educated and sophisticated in other respects.
Probably it was a show from the 'Masks' a Ukrainian comedy group.
There is some deeper meaning in the slapstick, but you would need someone to explain or have a good insight in Russian customs and culture to pick it up. On first sight it is as you described.

No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline aaja

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2008, 11:31:53 PM »
Thanks Mishenka

Offline groovlstk

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2008, 10:18:44 AM »
If I use the web site to do this it cost something like $200-300 USD thats just to much for flowers.

What kind of flowers are you sending that cost $200-300? You should be able to send a respectable arrangement for less than $100.

Offline ScottinCrimea

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2008, 12:11:30 PM »
Even $100 is way too much as you can buy a dozen roses in a shop there for around $25.  $75 for delivery???  Maybe when I go back I need to go into the flower delivery business!  I'll even throw in a photo and personal comments about the woman for that price.  Heck, you can even have a photo of me in a bikini if you''re willing to pay $300.

Offline Diplomacy

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2008, 12:53:53 PM »
Shoot, I paid too much for Roses.  I paid like $3ea, looks like they got me.  Oh well, they were at least 2 times as nice as the ones you buy lol. 

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2008, 01:29:28 PM »
I've sent roses/flowers on several occasions usually at around 100 bucks a pop. More during holidays and they soak you for 20-30 bucks more.

Offline Mishenka

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2008, 11:34:52 PM »
I sent flowers to Tashkent Uzbekistan during February for $30. Later in March and April I bought roses in the local shops for $8- $11 for 15 roses in an arrangement wrapped in red foil.  I'm sure prices are cheaper there than most places. I did negotiate prices a little, the price started at $15 for 15 roses. I walked away, he offered them for 13, I looked back and turned my head to walk away, then he said 12, I said $11 he said OK. Off season they are always cheaper. Try to have them delivered on woman's day, May 8 and you will pay triple. remember never send an equal amount of roses. always send uneven numbers and make sure they are the right color for the occasion. With the ruble exchange at $30 to one USD prices are going up daily. Uzbek Sum are 1500 to one dollar. Last week Galina cashed in $300 USD and got 450,000 Uzbek dollars. It worried me she was walking around with a stack of one thousand dollar bills about 5 inches high. To bad it won't buy much.

Mishenka
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 11:40:20 PM by Mishenka »

Offline Mir

« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2008, 11:42:35 PM »
Heck, you can even have a photo of me in a bikini if you''re willing to pay $300.

For that you will have to pay us $300 :)

Offline aaja

« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2008, 01:47:54 AM »
At the web site the cost of 15 rose's is about $250.00.  If you send a teddy bear with it I think it cost about $300.00.  If you send flowers a teddy bear and a crystal vase, they send my ex-wife's attorney to your house to cut off your arm and leg.

Offline ECOCKS

• To those who deserve it, good luck.
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2008, 01:58:32 AM »
Advice:

The way things are going in Ukraine, prices should be dropping.  If you want to send something to your gal, don't be a chump, ask someone here.  This isn't rocket-science.
Pick and choose carefully among the advice offered and consider the source carefully. PM, Skype or email if you care to chat or discuss

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541319
Total Topics: 20860
Most Online Today: 3934
Most Online Ever: 12701