It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: New Ice Breaker from Saint Petersburg  (Read 26432 times)

Offline Elena020118

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
New Ice Breaker from Saint Petersburg
« on: January 02, 2018, 03:13:29 AM »
Hi, everybody!

It is holiday time over here in Russia and I am typing from "the window to Europe". I am really tired of this rainy weather and those 50 shades of grey all the year round outside my window.

I would like to introduce myself. My name is Helen, 26 years old, educated, having the job of my dreams, passionate for self-development and foreign languages.

I used to be married for a very short period of time and I have got a beautiful 3 y.o. daughter.

I am looking for new friends to share positive life experience and, who knows, maybe something else.

What contries/cities do you come from?
Have you ever been in Russia, Saint-Petersburg?
What is your attitude to/opinion of the life and people over here?
Have you ever come across a bear/would you like to?))
Do not hesitate to write me.  :welcome:

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: New Ice Breaker from Saint Petersburg
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 09:41:47 AM »
Hi, everybody!

Welcome to the forum.

I try to avoid bears, I've been to St Petersburg and Voronezh 4 times
(that's where my wife is from).

I wish you success, happiness, romance and love!

Udachi!

Bill

PS
(you have a sunny smile)

« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 09:50:15 AM by 2tallbill »
FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 10:07:41 AM »
I have been to SPb several  times.  Always in May or October.
Fairly good weather during those months, but I usually had some allergy problems due to humidity which causes mold and mildew in most apartments (even as it is mostly unseen).
Many things to do there, so you are lucky to be there.  However, you might be like those in USA who never have been to Disneyland, etc., simply because you live in that city.  i.e. many natives of a particular region don't partake in the wonders of their area . . . until a visitor arrives.
I would honestly say that no logical western person should want to visit Russia in this current political climate and similarly should not want to become involved with a Russian person.
But there are many who do not act logically where the opposite sex is involved . . .
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 11:05:20 AM »

Welcome to the forum Helen. I'm from the suburbs of Seattle, Washington, USA.

I've been there once and I'm glad I visited the beautiful city.

Good and bad people everywhere. I like to judge people as individuals, not based off where they come from.

Depends on the bear. Do you bite?
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 12:24:05 PM »
Why do people chose a profile name then go on to tell us their real name different from their profile name, makes no sense to me ::)
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline ML

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 12:49:00 PM »
Why do people chose a profile name then go on to tell us their real name different from their profile name, makes no sense to me ::)

Elena and Helen are versions of the same name (also Helena).
i.e. Similar idea to William, Bill, Willie, Will, etc.

Personally, I much prefer the beautiful name Elena to the westernized version Helen.

One woman told me that USA folks couldn't correctly pronounce Elenochka, but she found that I could.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline JayH

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 01:58:14 PM »
Welcome Elena <
 :welcome:

i.e. Similar idea to William, Bill, Willie, Will, etc.

Personally, I much prefer the beautiful name Elena to the westernized version Helen.

One woman told me that USA folks couldn't correctly pronounce Elenochka, but she found that I could.

I could not agree more -- I love the so many beautiful names  and  the Anglicised version is dull by way of comparison.
If you are too lazy to learn how to pronounce her name correctly-- well !! ;D

SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline whynotme

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 03:09:05 PM »
I would honestly say that no logical western person should want to visit Russia in this current political climate and similarly should not want to become involved with a Russian person.
But there are many who do not act logically where the opposite sex is involved . . .
Welcome to the Russophobes forum  ;D  :welcome: After reading the local "writers" you'll have no pink glasses anymore.

Offline Hammer2722

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 03:31:23 PM »
Welcome Elena, I am from the Seattle, WA area. I have always wanted to see St. Petersburg. Someday, my wife and I will make the trip!!!
every ship can be a minesweeper at least once...

Offline msmob

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 03:49:29 PM »

For GAWD's sake ML... that's akin to saying, "don't go to the USA because American's voted in Trump as President ...!"

Welcome to the forum, Elena.

One never knows whether posts like yours are genuine, but ( to older members ) could we PLEASE keep politics out of one thread ?!

Here I am defending Russian people and yet in another forum I'm a 'russophobe' ;))))

Offline Elena020118

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 02:37:32 AM »
PS
(you have a sunny smile)

Thank you, Bill.

I have been to SPb several  times.  Always in May or October.
Fairly good weather during those months, but I usually had some allergy problems due to humidity which causes mold and mildew in most apartments (even as it is mostly unseen).
Many things to do there, so you are lucky to be there.  However, you might be like those in USA who never have been to Disneyland, etc., simply because you live in that city.  i.e. many natives of a particular region don't partake in the wonders of their area . . . until a visitor arrives.
Humidity? Well, I would prefer calling it just water :) I can hardly remember a day within last summer without rain. I myself was nearly covered with mildew. And what do we have on the New Year? Almost the same.
I have been to many places of attraction over here in the city and the suburbs, so there is nothing more to discover until they build something new.
Speaking of political climate. Well, there have always been issues and money rules the world so I would prefer to leave those discussions of who took whose, who said what and who did what to those who like playing these games. I lost any interest to politics in 2015 and stopped watching TV, especially news. Hopefully that won't influence the whole thing. :)
PS please let me know if it does))

Yes. My profile name is more real than my westernized version of it, but since not all people can pronounce or undertand it, I usually give the well-known Helen version. A shorter way is Lena.

Welcome to the Russophobes forum  ;D  :welcome: After reading the local "writers" you'll have no pink glasses anymore.

LOL   :D thank you
Don't be scared, people. We are all welcome for discussion :)

For GAWD's sake ML... that's akin to saying, "don't go to the USA because American's voted in Trump as President ...!"
Welcome to the forum, Elena.

Here I am defending Russian people and yet in another forum I'm a 'russophobe' ;))))
Lol  :D I have heard of Trump from people over there :))
Msmob, where are you a russophobe? I would like to read)) if you don't mind
Thank all of you for warm greetings!!! :) don't hesitate to write me.

Offline msmob

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 06:28:44 AM »

Msmob, where are you a russophobe? I would like to read)) if you don't mind
Thank all of you for warm greetings!!! :) don't hesitate to write me.

If I told you that, I'd have to kill you - as it's a secret.... :))

Offline LAman

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 08:26:33 AM »
Hi, everybody

Welcome Elena!!!!

Los Angeles is place to be!! )))
Although I am in your beautiful place at moment..... Yes SPb!!! Hope it stays above 0!!!!
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline ML

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 01:42:53 PM »

Totally inaccurate analogy.

It would be a correct analogy if USA soldiers and 'volunteers' were in Canada or Mexico killing citizens of those countries.

And, if the citizens of USA in their voting and commentary fully supported the killing of Canadian and Mexican citizens.

Offline mhr7

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2018, 02:00:09 PM »
Welcome to the forum Elena! Always nice to have an optimistic new voice to brighten up the place :)
"After your death, you will be what you were before your birth." - Schopenhauer

Offline msmob

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2018, 04:24:42 PM »
Totally inaccurate analogy.

It would be a correct analogy if USA soldiers and 'volunteers' were in Canada or Mexico killing citizens of those countries.

And, if the citizens of USA in their voting and commentary fully supported the killing of Canadian and Mexican citizens.

ML, Putin had been elected BEFORE the away games in Ukraine..Really are you seriously going to blame a whole nation's population for the acts of their President / govt ?

Plenty of us have Russian partners and go to Russia and maybe don't agree with their govt policy...But WHAT the 'eck has that got to do with a young lass who just joined the forum - hoping to make contacts ?

Really, we've got one guy just joined and after his intro - we have folks that need 'more info' re his former marriage's demise and this poor lass' 'welcome' has been less than stellar..

I'd like to see new folks be able to introduce themselves without political nonsense or questioning their past.... before they've made two posts...

Hence I make NO apology for 'rocking the boat' today...   

Curmudgeon mode off

Offline JohnDearGreen

• It's 5 o'clock somewhere...
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2018, 07:12:02 PM »
Hi, everybody!   
Hello Helen,
I considered going to St. P but didn't.  Now wish I had. 
Went to Moscow a 2nd time instead.   Experienced the local life by
spending 2 weeks in a south Moscow apartment on the 50-shades-of-gray line.
Went to a countryside outdoor restaurant in Sochi once.   Was surprised
to see 3 bears on the side of the yard in cages.    Sad to see them with
large chains around their neck.

Offline ML

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2018, 09:41:50 PM »
The lady asked:  "What is your attitude to/opinion of the life and people over here? "

Moby:  "Really are you seriously going to blame a whole nation's population for the acts of their President / govt ?"

Yes, when a country's president enjoys overwhelming support from the citizens, then they carry full responsibility for the acts of such leaders.

There are those who (1) actively support Putin, and there are those who (2) by their inaction tacitly approve of and support Putin.

There exists only a small minority of Russian citizens who do not fall into one of these 2 categories.

Offline jone

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2018, 09:46:15 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Lena,

Pyotr is my favorite city in all of Russia.  I stay in a little place on Italianskya.  My favorite restaurant is Schengen.  Named like the European Visa.  It is small but very good.  Like many here, I also like the Georgian restaurants that serve good Shaslik.

The last time I was in your city was three years ago.  I probably will go back in 2018, time permitting.  I see that they have put the Aurora back where she belongs.  It was under repair when last I was there.

Would you do me a small favor?  Tell me the name of the park that has all of the bronze copies of the famous landmarks in your city.  I can't remember it.

In any event, welcome to our forum and we hope you find many friends here.  Cute pictures by the way.  What is it that your friends have in their hands?
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2018, 11:52:51 PM »
Hi, everybody!

Privet!  And  :welcome: to the forum.

I used to be married for a very short period of time and I have got a beautiful 3 y.o. daughter.

Sorry that the marriage didn't work out, but I'm glad that you have something good which came out of it.

What countries/cities do you come from?

Auckland, New Zealand.

Yes, I've visited Russia twice - 2006 and 2010.  Spent time in Saint Petersburg on both trips and, as I've posted many times on this forum, I think it's the most beautiful city in the world.

I liked everyone I met on both trips (apart from one very officious policeman in a Visa Registration office on the first trip), and I had a wonderful time.  I had learnt the Cyrillic alphabet and did a night school course in basic Russian before my first trip, and I think that helped.  I agree with ML and other posters though, when they say that there is no point in trying to get fluent if you're just visiting, especially if you're aiming to find a wife from the FSU - she will have to improve whatever level of English she already has (or learn it from scratch if she doesn't speak any) if she is going to live with you in an English-speaking country.  If you can reach a level of conversation that's good enough to talk to her parents and family after a couple of years, that should be enough.

However, both my trips were before Russia seized Crimea and invaded the Donbas, so I won't be going back any time soon.

Yes, in both Saint Petersburg and Sochi - both times in chains (as JohnDearGreen posted above).

It will be nice to have a YOUNG Russian woman's point of view on the forum - we haven't had that for a long time!

Offline msmob

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2018, 12:51:02 AM »
Rather than pollute the new member's intro thread with more nonsense, I've replied to ML 'elsewhere'

http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=22372.msg474075;topicseen#new

Offline Davo2

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2018, 12:34:01 AM »
Welcome Elena  :)

Being a young woman and mother, I thought this is a great opportunity to ask your thoughts on a few topics....

Do you believe it's a good idea that a man spends time building a solid friendship online,  Skype, phone calls etc.... before he decides to meet a woman he's interested in?
Obviously every situation is different, but  how long would it take you to feel he's a genuine man and agree to meet him?

How do you view a man who writes to several women and visits them all on the same trip?
Would it be important to you that he is honest and lets you know you're not the only woman he is interested in?

Would you feel uncomfortable meeting a man for the first time in your city, when there's potential that you may run into friends and family during a date?

Would you marry a man you have strong feelings for, but have only met several times? or do you believe it's important to take things slow with such an important decision?

Lastly, what challenges do you face when
dating in Russia as a single mother?
Is it difficult to find genuine family orientated men in your city?

Thank you )

If you aren't comfortable answering any of my  questions it's OK, I wont be offended

« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 12:40:02 AM by Davo2 »

Offline Elena020118

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2018, 07:59:39 AM »
If I told you that, I'd have to kill you - as it's a secret.... :))

Okay, keep it secret then :)
I want to stay alive :)

Los Angeles is place to be!! )))
Although I am in your beautiful place at moment..... Yes SPb!!! Hope it stays above 0!!!!

Well, temperature above zero in winter makes the streets quite dirty and look awful. I would prefer spending my winter in LA instead :)
There is a museum that I would recommend visiting
http://grandmaket.ru/
It is away from the city center.
The best period to visit our city is in May/June with the white nights

Hello Helen,
I considered going to St. P but didn't.  Now wish I had. 
Went to Moscow a 2nd time instead.   Experienced the local life by
spending 2 weeks in a south Moscow apartment on the 50-shades-of-gray line.
Went to a countryside outdoor restaurant in Sochi once.   Was surprised
to see 3 bears on the side of the yard in cages. Sad to see them with
large chains around their neck.

There is a lot to see in Moscow, but you should definitely try SPb with its white nights, churches and museums (Hermitage), especially the suburbs are worth visiting (Peterhof, Pushkin, Pavlovsk..) you will never regret it.

There are those who (1) actively support Putin, and there are those who (2) by their inaction tacitly approve of and support Putin.
There exists only a small minority of Russian citizens who do not fall into one of these 2 categories.
...and there is a category that thinks that no matter what you do, no matter whom you support or don't support - it will make no difference to the final result of an election process. It may seem like we make decisions when in fact everything may have  already been decided.

Would you do me a small favor?  Tell me the name of the park that has all of the bronze copies of the famous landmarks in your city.  I can't remember it.

In any event, welcome to our forum and we hope you find many friends here.  Cute pictures by the way.  What is it that your friends have in their hands?

If I got what you mean - Alexandrovsky park on Gor'kovskaya metro station. Look through the pictures on that website http://forum-spb.name/interesnye-mesta-peterburga/651-skul-ptury-v-aleksandrovskom-parke-metro-gor-kovskaya.html

My friends are holding pieces of a brazier in order to cook Shashlik :) it was my friend's 24th birthday and we drcided to have a picnic in the park.

Yes, I've visited Russia twice - 2006 and 2010.  Spent time in Saint Petersburg on both trips and, as I've posted many times on this forum, I think it's the most beautiful city in the world.

I liked everyone I met on both trips (apart from one very officious policeman in a Visa Registration office on the first trip), and I had a wonderful time.  I had learnt the Cyrillic alphabet and did a night school course in basic Russian before my first trip, and I think that helped.  I agree with ML and other posters though, when they say that there is no point in trying to get fluent if you're just visiting, especially if you're aiming to find a wife from the FSU - she will have to improve whatever level of English she already has (or learn it from scratch if she doesn't speak any) if she is going to live with you in an English-speaking country.  If you can reach a level of conversation that's good enough to talk to her parents and family after a couple of years, that should be enough.

However, both my trips were before Russia seized Crimea and invaded the Donbas, so I won't be going back any time soon.

Yes, in both Saint Petersburg and Sochi - both times in chains (as JohnDearGreen posted above).

It will be nice to have a YOUNG Russian woman's point of view on the forum - we haven't had that for a long time!

What about New Zealand? It is a very beautiful country with marvellous landscapes judging from pictures in the Internet. How is life over there? What are places of attraction and sights that you could recommend visiting?

Speaking of all those political stuff… I would really prefer to omit those words such as "seized" and "invaded", use other verbs instead. Because it is just one point of view which was generated by mass media on one side of the globe wanting people to think exactly this way without being able to see other many different interesting facts including our mutual history with Ukraine and the life of people in Crimea. I was in Crimea a couple of years ago, I have friends/relatives over there. We used to be the same goverment not so long ago, people in Crimea are and have always been more like russians as those in the Donbass I guess maybe because they are close to us by territory at least. So saving people ftom being destroyed has nothing to do with invasion. That is just a different point of view to consider which is never going to be broadcasted on TV anywhere abroad. Mass Media has large influence on whole nations. It is always best to keep your head out of this mess.

I absolutely agree with you on language skills improvement topic. There is no necessity to be a "professional linguist" )) unless you are going to deal much with it, e.g. you want to live somewhere abroad. Otherwise without constant practice you will forget it all. I love foreign languages but the only one I can afford to have practice in is English. My hobby is getting to know foreigners on Tinder and showing them our city's sights ( museums, architecture, cafes and such) I am like a tour guide all on my own. So if somebody's interested in my company when travelling to SPb, just let me know. http://m.facebook.com/SuperMilkyWay?ref=bookmarks

Welcome Elena  :)

Being a young woman and mother, I thought this is a great opportunity to ask your thoughts on a few topics....

Do you believe it's a good idea that a man spends time building a solid friendship online,  Skype, phone calls etc.... before he decides to meet a woman he's interested in?
Obviously every situation is different, but  how long would it take you to feel he's a genuine man and agree to meet him?

How do you view a man who writes to several women and visits them all on the same trip?
Would it be important to you that he is honest and lets you know you're not the only woman he is interested in?

Would you feel uncomfortable meeting a man for the first time in your city, when there's potential that you may run into friends and family during a date?

Would you marry a man you have strong feelings for, but have only met several times? or do you believe it's important to take things slow with such an important decision?

Lastly, what challenges do you face when
dating in Russia as a single mother?
Is it difficult to find genuine family orientated men in your city?

Thank you )

If you aren't comfortable answering any of my  questions it's OK, I wont be offended

I will reply to you a bit later :)

Offline ML

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2018, 11:03:52 AM »

Speaking of all those political stuff… I would really prefer to omit those words such as "seized" and "invaded", use other verbs instead. Because it is just one point of view which was generated by mass media on one side of the globe wanting people to think exactly this way without being able to see other many different interesting facts including our mutual history with Ukraine and the life of people in Crimea. I was in Crimea a couple of years ago, I have friends/relatives over there. We used to be the same goverment not so long ago, people in Crimea are and have always been more like russians as those in the Donbass I guess maybe because they are close to us by territory at least. So saving people from being destroyed has nothing to do with invasion. That is just a different point of view to consider which is never going to be broadcasted on TV anywhere abroad. Mass Media has large influence on whole nations. It is always best to keep your head out of this mess.

Ah now we see the true Elena.  And we can observe how well the brainwashing has occurred.

I have been several times to Crimea and Donbas before the invasion and seizure by Russian terrorists.

There were no persons there who were in any danger of being destroyed by Ukraine or Ukrainians.
Ethnic Russians and Russian speakers were always in the majority and were absolutely in no danger from anything.
Ukraine fully allowed Russian schools and never discriminated against anything Russian; and Ukraine couldn't even if it wanted to because of the Russian majority.
Now with control by Russian terrorists there already has been Ukrainian and Tatar people destroyed and will continue to be destroyed.
Now Ukrainian schools are not allowed in Crimea; even as Russian schools were previously allowed.
Very good job of brainwashing . . . we will all admit.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2018, 11:37:24 AM »
Surely the conflict in Ukraine is not of interest in Russia because 'officially' Russia has no involvement ;D

I think there is a tendancy to side with the views of whoever you are dating and where she is from. For most of us looking for a woman it tends not to be something many of us concern ourselves with. Our focus tends to be on trying to find ourselves the right woman wherever. That said I kind of feel bad that there is human suffering going on there mostly with the poor suffering the most.

The first Ukrainian girl from Mariupol I met did not wish to associate with the conflict. She just wanted to find the right guy to live her life with. According to her it was more of a conflict between rival oligarchs fighting for power. She had no time for it.

The second and last girl I met from Nikolaev & Kherson respectively said little of the conflict. I tend not to raise it or discuss it much going with the old adage of be best to avoid discussing potentially sensitive political matters and the like.

Anyway, I am thinking of coming to St. Petersburg in a few months Elena. Are you currently single and looking for a WM? :flowers:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 11:39:16 AM by Trenchcoat »
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541334
Total Topics: 20861
Most Online Today: 2843
Most Online Ever: 12701