It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: STEM Gradutes to get Green Cards ?  (Read 1849 times)

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
STEM Gradutes to get Green Cards ?
« on: January 30, 2013, 04:51:56 PM »
Last Fall House of Representatives passed bill giving green cards to international  students who complete graduate degrees in U S Universities in the STEM areas.

The senate did not take action on this bill.  Presidential candidate Romney supported the idea.

The lack of further support for the house bill was because it gave 55,000 slots for these green cards, but took away 55,000 slots for the visa diversity program.

Now, the US Senate has a talking points program going that will give green cards the same as the House program of last fall.  Obama has signed on to it.  I haven't read what this plan says (if anything) about the diversity program.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline ML

Re: STEM Gradutes to get Green Cards ?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 05:41:52 PM »
A bill covering the STEM program was introduced by Senator Orin Hatch and co-sponsored by 4 republicans and 4 democrats.

It is Senate Bill 169 of 113th Congress (2013) and is called the ‘‘Immigration Innovation Act of 2013’’ or the ‘‘I-Squared Act of 2013’’.

It calls for (among other things) the issuance of green cards to foreigners who apply and have graduated with a masters or higher degree from a U. S. University with majors in science, technology, engineering or math (STEM).

There are yearly numerical limits for several kinds of green cards and/or work permits, but there is no numrical limit for this STEM program.

It also provides for changing of the wording for Student Visa applications to eliminate the currently required lying wherein the student must affirm they have no intention of trying to remain in USA upon the completion of their program of study.

Predicted to be several months of negotiations.

Here is the visual presentation: 

« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 05:44:57 PM by ML »
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline ML

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 08:51:37 AM »
I posted this in another thread to give info specifically the the OP of that thread.  I am posting it here also as it is directly related to Immigration and Visas.

- - - - - - - -

Just today I attended an Immigration Seminar headed by an attorney specializing in the topic which added to some that I already knew.

There is an annual quota cap for H1B work visas.  The cap is 65,000 for 2014 which has already been reached during the current filing period of April 2013.

AND virtually no one gets an H1B work visa outside the STEM areas of Science Technology Engineering and Math.  Although it might sound close, the lawyer said financial people (even with computer jock skills) do not qualify.

Also the H1B program is  not an Immigration Visa.  It is only a work authorization visa for a max of 6 years. 

But yes, those here under the H1B program often later are successful in attaining permanent immigration (green card) status.

Note:  Since the 6 years for H1B visa typically exceeds the length of a lot of marriages . . . it's not a bad way to go.   8)

- - - - -

Step by step process to move along from student visa to permanent residence (green card) status:

Those who  come here on Student Visas AND get Masters degrees in the  STEM area, have  a nice path to Permanent Residence (green card).  This is an already existing path separate from the new program being considered in Congress.

This existing path is:

1) Get degree in STEM area.
2) Automatically get authorization for OPT (Optional Professional Training) for 12 months which can usually be extended for another 17 months (29 months total).  No employer has to do anything for person to get this OPT authorization.  With the authorization, person can look for and accept job same as USA citizen (except those jobs that require citizenship, of course).
3) After OPT, usually get preferred treatment for  H1B program.
4) After in H1B for 3-4 years, usually get preferred treatment when applying for Green Card status.

I was quite happy to learn of this info which I hadn't fully put together the pieces in my mind, despite having read about the various programs.

Offline ML

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 07:13:52 PM »
This provision for Green Card for masters and doctoral degrees obtained at US universities in  the STEM fields is included in the larger Immigration bill predicted to pass the Senate during this current week.

However, some experts predict that the House will not even open it  (the larger bill) for discussion; and thus it will die.

There is some possibility that parts of this larger bill will be introduced by some House members, and the STEM provision might be one of those parts.

It seems to be much less controversial than the provision in the larger bill than opens a path to citizenship to those who came here illegally.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540999
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1874
Total: 1885

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM