It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Replacing RBG  (Read 31008 times)

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Replacing RBG
« on: September 18, 2020, 05:48:52 PM »
I am thinking it would be a mistake for Donald and Mitch to try to ram through a replacement in next few weeks.

It might even be a mistake for Donald  to nominate someone.

My reasoning:  Many folks, even true Republicans, might think this was 'over the top' given what happened with Obama's nominee.

It might be a real turn-off for such folks and even raise feelings of disgust toward Donald.

I would like to see it done; but think it would be too risky.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline jone

• Spouse's Country: Russia
Replacing RBG
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 06:46:54 PM »
RBG's death is a great boon to the liberal cause - at this time.   She will be a rallying cry to get liberals to the polls.   "We must replace RBG with someone who thinks like her ......"

Were Trump to move ahead with a nomination, it would give Democrats the impetus to change the make-up of the court to expand it with over 50% of the Justices being liberal.   

ML, you are correct.   Pursuing a nomination prior to the election would be tantamount to handing the election to Joe Biden.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Confederate

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
Replacing RBG
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 06:55:02 PM »
I agree with Jone. Wait until after the election is over. Even though I have a weird feeling this election isn't going to be over when it should be.
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.
George Orwell 1984

Offline BillyB

Replacing RBG
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 07:06:00 PM »

Antonin Scalia died 9 months before the election in 2016. Obama wouldn't be able to get his pick approved since a simple Senate majority vote is needed and Republicans had control of the Senate back then. Republicans control the Senate now but Democrats have tactics they can use to stall Trump's pick the same way they did Kavanaugh. Trump can go ahead and nominate somebody(most likely it would be a female) before the election the way Obama done and let the current Senate and the new Senate after the election deal with it.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline msmob

Replacing RBG
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 08:26:27 PM »
!"My most fervent wish is that I will not be replaced until a new president is installed,"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-54214729

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
Replacing RBG
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 08:33:45 PM »
!"My most fervent wish is that I will not be replaced until a new president is installed,"

Bader's wishes have dick to do with the law. If President Donald John Trump wishes to nominate a replacement before the election that is completely his decision. His decision certainly isn't going to wait another 4.4 years for a new president to be installed

Make America Great Again!

Online Faux Pas

Replacing RBG
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 08:37:36 PM »
I am thinking it would be a mistake for Donald and Mitch to try to ram through a replacement in next few weeks.

It might even be a mistake for Donald  to nominate someone.

My reasoning:  Many folks, even true Republicans, might think this was 'over the top' given what happened with Obama's nominee.

It might be a real turn-off for such folks and even raise feelings of disgust toward Donald.

I would like to see it done; but think it would be too risky.

Damn the torpedoes.  Nominate'em Trump and let's get this show on the road. I think Ted Cruz is about first on the list

Offline fathertime

Replacing RBG
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2020, 08:50:17 PM »
RBG's death is a great boon to the liberal cause - at this time.   She will be a rallying cry to get liberals to the polls.   "We must replace RBG with someone who thinks like her ......"

Were Trump to move ahead with a nomination, it would give Democrats the impetus to change the make-up of the court to expand it with over 50% of the Justices being liberal.   

ML, you are correct.   Pursuing a nomination prior to the election would be tantamount to handing the election to Joe Biden.
From a strategic standpoint McConnell is making the right move.  He now puts Trump in a position to appear magnanimous when he states he is going to wait to after he wins the next election.    That said, the hypocrisy of McConnell and other republicans would be astonishing if they were to genuinely try to ram a pick in at this time.  I'm curious to see what the next moves are. 

Fathertime! 
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline BillyB

Replacing RBG
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 09:05:31 PM »
 If Trump knows Republicans will control the Senate after the election, he can safely nominate somebody like Kavanaugh. If the Democrats take control of the Senate after the election and Trump retains the presidency, Trump would have to nominate a moderate to get a couple of Democrats to switch sides to get a majority vote. Maybe in the next few days experts can lay out all the possible scenarios. Avoid anti Trump media if you want honest answers.

There needs to be some time for people to mourn RBG before Trump can announce a pick but by that time, there may be less than 30 days till the election. Obama waited a month before announcing his pick after Scalia died. Announcing a pick may not gain him any votes but he may lose votes if people think he's being insensitive, pushy or selfish. My prediction is Trump is going to wait till after the election to make his nomination. There are currently 5 conservative judges and 3 liberal judges on the Supreme Court. No need to rush.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline msmob

Replacing RBG
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2020, 11:24:20 PM »

Make America Great Again!

You mean 'Trampu' hasn't achieved that, yet ? ....

Offline BC

• Trips: 4 - 10
Replacing RBG
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2020, 11:28:00 PM »
RIP RBG.

What news to wake up to!

Life is awful quirky. The good ol' gal has managed to put the GOP, Trump, and our country on the spot in a way no one else can.

Eerily, it's almost like she thought this through as a parting test of our political moral compass.

Talk about going out with a bang...

Smart as a whip I say.

Offline BillyB

Replacing RBG
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2020, 11:38:14 PM »
You mean 'Trampu' hasn't achieved that, yet ? ....

He's achieved that which is why he changed his slogan to "Keep America Great".  You can also make a campaign donation to the Trump campaign below to keep America great. You'll probably get a bumper sticker like I did. If he wins, you can then bust him for accepting foreign donations to his campaign which may get him impeached. I got to donate something to those tight Senate races since they vote on the next SCOTUS judge.

http://www.donaldjtrump.com/

RIP RBG.

What news to wake up to!

She was a fighter. People counted her out many times over the years she fought health issues but she would always bounce back.

Offline BC

Replacing RBG
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2020, 11:47:13 PM »
She was a fighter. People counted her out many times over the years she fought health issues but she would always bounce back.

And she has bounced back yet again - with one giant leap.

Let's see if McConnell and Trump are capable of acting with common decency, deliberation, and due diligence, or simply bow to desperation and hypocrisy.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 02:12:11 AM by BC »

Offline BC

Replacing RBG
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2020, 01:19:42 AM »

Offline msmob

Replacing RBG
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2020, 01:39:51 AM »
He's achieved that which is why he changed his slogan to "Keep America Great". 

Like I said, sense of denial is strong this morning ;)

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
Replacing RBG
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2020, 05:16:33 AM »
I'm glad RBG has breathed her last, the west needs to get away from feminism and the destruction it causes. This could be a turning point to make western society good again the way it used to be and the way it is in the FSU.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 07:17:37 AM by Trenchcoat »
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Online Faux Pas

Replacing RBG
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2020, 05:47:44 AM »
And she has bounced back yet again - with one giant leap.

Let's see if McConnell and Trump are capable of acting with common decency, deliberation, and due diligence, or simply bow to desperation and hypocrisy.

And to what is this in which you refer? You're expecting them to dance in circles singing "Ding dong the wicked witch is dead" what?

Offline fathertime

Replacing RBG
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2020, 06:46:09 AM »
I'm glad RGB has breathed her last, the west needs to get away from feminism and the destruction it causes. This could be a turning point to make western society good again the way it used to be and the way it is in the FSU.
Hola!  I"m curious from your view what would the supreme court now do that would make western society more like how it is in the FSU?  What aspect of feminism will be reversed from the death and replacement of RBG?   It seems to me that women are doing ok overall.  There may be less interest in creating the traditional nuclear family, although that has been occurring for many many moons.  Immigrants, (Often from South of the Border) do make up a lot of the young nuclear families nowadays. 

Fathertime! 
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
Replacing RBG
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2020, 07:20:25 AM »
Hola!  I"m curious from your view what would the supreme court now do that would make western society more like how it is in the FSU?  What aspect of feminism will be reversed from the death and replacement of RBG?   It seems to me that women are doing ok overall.  There may be less interest in creating the traditional nuclear family, although that has been occurring for many many moons.  Immigrants, (Often from South of the Border) do make up a lot of the young nuclear families nowadays. 

Fathertime!

Just getting feminists out of these sorts of positions in general should help. If it stops them having influence over the law that would give women the upper hand then that could go a long way to making relationships work again.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
Replacing RBG
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2020, 08:38:40 AM »

Then she should have retired before she started falling asleep in her oatmeal.
She wanted to eat her cake and have it too. Either you retire when you know
who the president is or you hang on until you die. She did the later, her opinion
on who replaces her is as irrelevant as what the Brexit/Remain voters think about
it.

FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
Replacing RBG
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2020, 08:47:58 AM »
Let's see if McConnell and Trump are capable of acting with common decency,
deliberation, and due diligence, or simply bow to desperation and hypocrisy.

The ultimate would be nominating and approving her during a lame duck
session after an election in which the Dem's won. I really think the Dem's
are going to lose but I've been wrong many times before.

If I'm honest, all I care about is replacing her with a conservative justice.
The Dem's are always begging the Republicans to act with a common
decency that they lack. The Kavanagh debacle is evidence of that.
Democratic hypocrisy knows no bounds. 

FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline ML

Replacing RBG
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2020, 09:13:51 AM »
My additional thought after a morning walk and discussion with FSU wife.

1) Death of RGB is going to hurt Donald's chance of winning and hurt the chance that Repubs keep control of the Senate.  Reason:  Those in the middle and independents will be even more galvanized toward stopping another conservative justice from being on Supreme Court.  Same idea as to why religious right gave strong support to Donald in 2016 election.  Independents probably want a fairly balanced Supreme Court with one swing vote.  Roberts is going to be the swing vote going forward.

2) If Donald puts forth a candidate before election . . . he and the Repub controlled Senate are dead meat.

3) Although number 1 will probably happen even if Donald does not put forth a candidate before election . . . I think Donald should submit his nomination the day after the election (even as the results will not be known).  In this manner, the Repub controlled Senate will still have nearly two months to get Donald's nominee confirmed, even if Donald loses and Repubs lose control of new Senate.

4) If Donald wins re-election . . . Clarence and Samuel should resign within a couple of years . . . for same reason that Ruth should have resigned during Obama"s last term
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline BillyB

Replacing RBG
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2020, 09:24:07 AM »
Trump signals he may nominate somebody quickly. He could've thrown out a Tweet to feel how the people are going to react though. If he does nominate somebody quickly, it increases the chances it'll be a woman which makes it more difficult for Democrats to stall with sexual assault allegations. Trump also thanked Democrat Harry Reid who in the past had control of the Senate. He led the change in rules of needing a 60 vote majority to approve a SCOTUS justice to just 51.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-signals-he-will-move-to-replace-ginsburg-without-delay/ar-BB19d1si?ocid=spartan-ntp-feeds

1) Death of RGB is going to hurt Donald's chance of winning and hurt the chance that Repubs keep control of the Senate.  Reason:  Those in the middle and independents will be even more galvanized toward stopping another conservative justice from being on Supreme Court.  Same idea as to why religious right gave strong support to Donald in 2016 election.  Independents probably want a fairly balanced Supreme Court with one swing vote.  Roberts is going to be the swing vote going forward.

I believe most independents who voted for Trump last election knew full well he'd be nominating conservative judges to all high courts and aren't afraid he will nominate conservative judges next term. They will judge him solely on his job performance, not the judges he'll nominate.

4) If Donald wins re-election . . . Clarence and Samuel should resign within a couple of years . . . for same reason that Ruth should have resigned during Obama"s last term

RBG saw the polls and believed in them. I think she was planning to leave during Hillary's presidency.

Offline BC

Replacing RBG
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2020, 09:44:10 AM »
Democratic hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Example of dem hypocrisy in this context?

What you describe is a path of escalation.  Will the GOP up the ante?  My guess is they will despite doing exactly what they said they wouldn't.

They are faced with one helluva choice tho'.  We'll just have to see if their talk is cheap.  Will make for some rather revealing political ads.  Gotta admit she's a fav of a good portion of the younger crowd.

I do hope it raises voter participation considerably.

Offline BC

Replacing RBG
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2020, 10:02:30 AM »
My guess Trump will nominate Diane S. Sykes

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541004
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1887
Total: 1898

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM