It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: retirement  (Read 7269 times)

Offline civi68

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
retirement
« on: September 23, 2017, 04:47:02 AM »
It has been a long time coming but next year I will be able to retire at age 50 on a state government pension. It has been about 5 years since I actively participated in FSU dating. I have been to Moscow, St. Pete, and cities in Ukraine. I am considering retiring and spending a few months in Russia or Ukraine. My Russian is good enough to get around and date a woman (or women) without an interpreter. After deductions, my pension will be around $3000 a month. I would probably focus on women 40 or older. Hopefully, I would find a good one where I could stay with her. I would be interested in any advice on my plan and how the cost of living or dating opportunities have changed.

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
Re: retirement
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 08:12:23 AM »
Send maxx2 a PM. While he's currently spending his time in Georgia, he has a lot info in how to retire in FSU on a retirement pension.

Good luck
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 09:32:42 AM »
I would be interested in any advice on my plan and how the cost of living or dating opportunities have changed.

Russia makes it difficult for you to live there and the political climate can change every few months. Ukraine's situation is unstable due to Russia. Cost of living went up in both nations but your dollar goes further based off the exchange rate. As far as dating opportunities go, there are plenty of single women there. Just got to beat your competition which isn't hard to do.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline ML

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 10:00:44 AM »
. . . your dollar goes further based off the exchange rate.

This is common misconception, as I have written about several times here.

Two situations:

1) Just because FX rate changes, doesn't mean a particular currency gains an automatic advantage.  Reason  being is that due to resulting inflation in the devalued currency the prices rise enough in local currency to offset fact you can get more of the local currency for your dollars.  And, often many items are priced in terms of USD, even in the foreign country.

Note:  This does NOT mean there cannot be bargains . . . it just means there may or may not be bargains . . . depending on the items, inflation in  the country, etc.

2) Many people erroneously think that if the FX rate is different than 1 to 1, the cost of living in the other country will be less/more when you exchange your USD.

So, for example, 1 USD = 0.84 Euro probably means cost of living for you will be more when you exchange your USD.

However, as another example, 1 USD = 112 Japanese Yen.
So you think cost of living will be less for you when you exchange your USD and live in Japan?   NOT !

Conclusion:  Whether or not the FX rate is less than 1 to 1 or more than 1 to 1 for USD means absolutely nothing when assessing what your situation will be in the other country when you exchange your USD and live in the other country.

So, just the fact itself, that 1 USD gets you 26 hryvnia or 57 rubles does NOT mean you are going to find bargains in the other country when you exchange your USD.

Thus the fact of greater or less than 1 mean nothing.
The change in FX rate however, might or might not mean something . . . depending on the speed of change in inflation.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 10:39:40 AM »

ML, I understand the things you mention. Our dollar tripled since the conflict in Ukraine started. If inflation only doubled, on average, we'd get some good deals there.

Some people decide to on vacation in other countries if the exchange rate is good. It's certainly not smart to go on vacation in a country during a time when another nation's currency is strong and ours is weak. Always better to make business and vacation decisions overseas when one's currency is strong instead of weak.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline AkMike

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 12:37:53 PM »
I'm retired in Ukraine and you need to remember that they have a 90/180 rule. 90 days in country and 90 days out.  You can jump thru some hoops to get a Temp. residency for a year max.
 I'm full time Perm. Residency based on more than 2 years of marriage and also more than 100k invested in the country.

Offline rw_recruiter

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 05:19:20 AM »
I'm retired in Ukraine and you need to remember that they have a 90/180 rule. 90 days in country and 90 days out.  You can jump thru some hoops to get a Temp. residency for a year max.
 I'm full time Perm. Residency based on more than 2 years of marriage and also more than 100k invested in the country.

How strict is Ukraine on border hopping? I know many countries do not enforce the x days out of country and you can take a short 3-5 day vacation and re-enter without any issues. Is this the same situation in Ukraine?

Offline AkMike

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 08:03:39 AM »
Points of entry are computerized now. It won't work anymore. So far overstays aren't a big problem. 850 hyrivna fines as you leave. (give yourself a couple extra hours to go thru the process)

BUT there's the risk of being blackballed for 5 years for overstays also.

To the best of my knowledge it hasn't happened yet but why take a chance? We're guests in their country and need to follow their rules.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 10:38:37 AM »
I quite envy you civil, with $3k a month you will live like a lord out in Ukraine without the need to worry about getting dicounts or the cheapest way about things. Even with inflation out there you'll still be fabulously wealthy compared to many Ukrainians easily earning 10-30 times their salary a month or more, if they can survive on far less you'll have no problems. If I had that sort of money available I wold get out there soon as and you'll soon have all the hotties flocking to you :D
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline msmob

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 11:23:55 AM »

Russia makes it difficult for you to live there

Wow, that IS 'interesting '... and you live there ? You'd know this ? ))

Now whilst I appreciate the USA and Russia are having a few spats and Tourist Visas are hard to come by - I noted that neither the USA / Russia are cutting down on immigration Visas ..

Cost of living went up in both nations but your dollar goes further based off the exchange rate.

The Greenback LOST 10% against the Rouble in the last 12 months, BillyB ... How is it going 'further', pray ?

You - correctly - suggested the cost of living is going up - faster than in the USA..

As far as dating opportunities go, there are plenty of single women there. Just got to beat your competition which isn't hard to do.

In my part of Russia - Sochi - there are plenty of single 30 / 40 plus lasses who might like a change from the local guys...    I know a couple of US citizens who love Sochi - in relationships  - one now works in China - but his family remained in Sochi

IF you can afford it ... Why not consider writing to a few ladies - narrow them down and visit the one / ones you might like to take it further with.

Edited to add:  Rent a place - nothing too flashy - and don't commit until your heart rules your head )

« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 06:19:43 PM by msmob »

Offline BillyB

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 05:35:56 PM »
Wow, that IS 'interesting '... and you live there ? You'd know this ? ))

Now whilst I appreciate the USA and Russia are having a few spats and Tourist Visas are hard to come by - I noted that neither the USA / Russia are cutting down on immigration Visas ..

With less people working in the American embassies and consulates in Russia, American citizens will find it more difficult to get assistance in Russia. With less people working in Russian embassies and consulates in America, people will find getting visas more difficult. You don't have to live there to figure out.

The Greenback LOST 10% against the Rouble in the last 12 months, BillyB ... How is it going 'further', pray ?

How much did the greenback gain since Russia stepped foot in Ukraine? More than 10%

Offline msmob

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 06:33:31 PM »

With less people working in the American embassies and consulates in Russia, American citizens will find it more difficult to get assistance in Russia. With less people working in Russian embassies and consulates in America, people will find getting visas more difficult. You don't have to live there to figure out.

Well, now BillyB I did try to point out that long stay/ residency visas were being prioritised ..  Certainly. Russia doesn't make it difficult to live there - once there, either ... 

How much did the greenback gain since Russia stepped foot in Ukraine? More than 10%

At it's peak - nearly 3 times - it has fallen back to 2 times ...   What is your point, BillyB ?  ( bearing in mind the inflationary pressures eating into any currency differential in '14, 15 and to a lessor extent '16 )   

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=USD&to=RUB&view=5Y

http://tradingeconomics.com/russia/inflation-cpi

Things seem to be stabilising and anyone thinking of testing out life there would seem to be able to plan better - given the current relatively stable inflation and exchange rates re the Rouble / USD

Offline BillyB

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 07:23:22 PM »

If you're saying a strong dollar doesn't make a difference, you might as well say a weak dollar doesn't make a difference either. Most people are smarter than that. If I'm going to spend dollars overseas, I'll look at the places that the dollar is strong first.

Offline msmob

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2017, 11:20:09 PM »

If you're saying a strong dollar doesn't make a difference, you might as well say a weak dollar doesn't make a difference either. Most people are smarter than that. If I'm going to spend dollars overseas, I'll look at the places that the dollar is strong first.

1/ I'm not saying that .. I pointed out that the dollar had been weakening against the Rouble - you wanted to discuss the levels from 3 years ago

2/ Like Ukraine - prices went up - inflation - as many things are imported - perhaps paid for IN Dollars ... so the simplistic 'wins' through a stronger currency don't necessary stay - as prices rise to compensate..

ML puts it better

Overall I'd sat that a 3kUSD /month salary/ pension in Russia (Sochi/ Piter / Moscow) does - currently - equate equate to a nearly 6k/month income in the USA..  It will go a long way further in regional cities / small towns / countryside..

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 03:24:57 PM »
civi68-

Not sure if you actually got the information you seek. Short of actually getting actual 'living experience' on your own, things will obviously be within 'subjective' circumstances i.e. your living standard will definitely be a major factor that will greatly influence your daily life if you so choose to live in Russian for example.What you're willing to do 'without', etc...

There are however available information on line that can give you a good grasp of fairly basic information.

For example, getting an idea what the current cost of living is, on average, for an average Russian? This site can give you an 'overview':

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_result.jsp?country=Russia

Use that and equate it to what is the average monthly salary is for an average Russian. This site tells you that:

http://tradingeconomics.com/russia/wages

You can then correlate your projected $3,000.00/mo income and get a good sensation how it'll work our for you, allowing for any factors that personally will affect you, for instance 'foreigner tax' comes to mind. Also, keep in mind, there may also be the likelihood that the reported 'wages' reported on the site could well be in fact the 'reported' income and not accounting for the 'cash' pay. As you know, *dual payout* system still exist in Russia. How prevalent, likely high, though not certain how much.

You'll likely need to factor the cost of travelling in/out the country to pacify the immigration restriction. However often that is...

NationMaster, another good source of information, created a comparable table of comparison between nations. Use at your discretion:

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/Russia/United-States/Cost-of-living

MHr7, Chivo, etc...are board members actually living in Russia, IINM. Send them PMs and get their own perspective on the matter. I would also start surfing the 'net on social sites and solicit opinions/advice from the respective natives.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 03:26:44 PM by GQBlues »
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2017, 05:58:11 PM »
MHr7, Chivo, etc...are board members actually living in Russia, IINM. Send them PMs and get their own perspective on the matter. I would also start surfing the 'net on social sites and solicit opinions/advice from the respective natives.

Deccie is another one, as are Belvis and abashka.  And of course mendeleyev still lives there, even if he is keeping his head well below the sandbags.

Offline jone

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2017, 08:15:54 PM »
Deccie is another one, as are Belvis and abashka.  And of course mendeleyev still lives there, even if he is keeping his head well below the sandbags.

And is greatly missed.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline msmob

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2017, 09:55:17 PM »
civi68-

Not sure if you actually got the information you seek.

Good point

I live in Sochi - half the year and in Moscow there's also a Canadian - Bounder - who teaches English

1/ What do you want from retirement ? Big city / climate? Mountains / Sea ?

2/ Also consider Belarus?

3/ If you seek the company of a Woman - why not make your intentions clear and perhaps a lady will influence your choice of place to try ? :)

4/ I'm guessing you'll first be coming on a business Visa  - if Russia - and when registered at an address - this will permit you to pen a bank account. Get one with Sberbank - as they have so many ATMS and transferring money within Russia is easy AND Raiffeisen Bank ( Austrian parent Co.) - good for transferring from overseas http://www.raiffeisen.ru/en/

5/ Before you leave home for the FSU - get a SIP telephone USA tel number from the area code of choice and this will allow people you want to contact you on your mobile number in the nation you are in - no matter where you are for 2USD / month or less - VERY useful if doing transactions from back home.

Just a few pointers...

Offline ML

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2017, 06:33:57 PM »
You are a ways away . . . but be thinking about health care down the road.

One critical fact is that you will continue to pay into Medicare, but you won't be able to use Medicare when you are outside the USA.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline civi68

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2017, 03:32:33 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, particularly the practical info some of you shared about visas, websites, etc. I never considered Belarus since I always heard it was more challenging there to stay as a foreigner. The length of stay for the visa is something to consider since I don't want to have to leave after 3 months per trip. As one poster said, I am in a good situation. I always kept this option in my mind over the years. With some guys I know including myself having problems once the woman got here, it is more feasible for me to go over there instead of risking a marriage late in life here.

drsecu

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2017, 08:27:21 AM »
On the 90/180 Ukraine, I've heard from people staying in Ukraine for 5+ years now they just pay the fine (900uah, about $35USD) and your clear and reenter the next day if you wish.  The 180 days is from the start of the first trip, so you would only have issue on re-entry if between 90 and 180 days and it is not a new calendar year yet (resets on Jan 1).  So you need to overstay your free visa by at least 90 days each time if you need to leave come pack within the calendar year.

I just got back from Kyiv/Lviv.  Apartments outside of the city can be had for $10k USD.  On the new developments in Kyiv and Lviv they are all advertised at around $52-59 per sqft.   Most people are making ends meet on $500-650usd salaries that stay in the working class apartments.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 08:39:23 AM by drsecu »

Offline ML

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2017, 09:02:11 AM »
I just got back from Kyiv/Lviv.  Apartments outside of the city can be had for $10k USD. 

This is ridiculous.  I just wrote a few days ago that my spouse owns multiple properties in Ukraine.

Outside the center of Kyiv, she has an old Kruschevka 2 room apartment on 4th floor with no elevator. Similar apartments are selling for $50,000 or so.

No one here would want to live in anything in Kyiv area that is less expensive than this, and most of us wouldn't even be happy living there for any period of time.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 09:23:53 AM by ML »

Offline msmob

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2017, 09:22:57 AM »
This is ridiculous.  I just wrote a few days ago that my spouse owns multiple properties in Ukraine.

Outside the center of Ukraine

..and just where is the 'centre of Ukraine' ?;)

Offline ML

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2017, 09:24:45 AM »
Thanks for the catch Moby.  I corrected.

Offline msmob

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2017, 09:33:08 AM »
Thanks for the catch Moby.  I corrected.

Thanks for indulging my OCD !

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540998
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 1970
Total: 1980

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM