It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: The great engagement ring debate continues.  (Read 13285 times)

Offline akadoc

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
The great engagement ring debate continues.
« on: October 04, 2015, 02:28:31 PM »
Так! We can't seem to come to agreement on a ring budget. Through our many conversations I now know she wants an oblong shaped diamond be cause she had short fingers and feels oblong will help the appearance. No problem. Based on multiple previous conversations I knew that what I had originally thought for a budget was way to high for her liking. So I had finally come to grips that I would settle for a budget in the neighborhood of $1,800 give or take some. Still feel very cheap even though I've come to terms with it. So i offered a budget to her of $1,500 - $2,000. Her replies: Мой дорогой, вы хотите чтобы бандиты оторвали мне пальцы вместе с кольцом!!! Или кольцо будет лежать дома спрятанное под пол! Меня устраивает медное кольцо! 100 - 200 долларов. это достаточная цена для кольца! So obviously we are miles apart. Now what do I do?  :cluebat:

Offline akadoc

Re: The great engagement ring debate continues.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 02:34:32 PM »
I should add that part of my dilemma comes from that my first wife from the East was embarrassed about her engagement ring and wouldn't wear it once she came to America.

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 02:41:33 PM »
Buy her a ring once she's in the U.S.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline jone

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 03:20:35 PM »
I should add that part of my dilemma comes from that my first wife from the East was embarrassed about her engagement ring and wouldn't wear it once she came to America.

It is true that an expensive ring would be out of the norm in Eastern Europe.  You might want to offer her a ring to wear in Eastern Europe and a ring to wear once she lives in the West.  You could also tell her that wearing a brass ring would make you seem exceedingly greedy to your friends and family. 
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline BillyB

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 08:53:23 PM »
So obviously we are miles apart. Now what do I do?

Buy the ring you want her to wear and quit feeling like you're going to get in trouble.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Nightwish

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 04:00:00 AM »
Geez you americans are weird..

OH look at this huge expensive ring I bought her, that shows how much I love her

no it doesn't, it only means you have to show of your status to outsiders...or pretended status...

Flamebait  :popcorn:
Multitasking means screwing up several things at once.

Offline Noch1

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 08:26:40 AM »
I never discussed the cost of the ring with my wife.
I bought it based on my budget, not what others think.
My wife would not wear the ring in Ukraine, because she was afraid she would lose a finger. She only wore her wedding ring. Which was fine by me.
Actually half the time here she does not wear it, depends on what she is doing.

The quality of the ring is what makes it expensive not the size alone.
Buy her a bit smaller ring, she will be happy, buy top quality, you will reach your budget fast enough.
Common sense, Is not so common!

Offline Muzh

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 08:35:52 AM »
Geez you americans are weird..

OH look at this huge expensive ring I bought her, that shows how much I love her

no it doesn't, it only means you have to show of your status to outsiders...or pretended status...

Flamebait  :popcorn:

:applaud:
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline ML

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 09:04:39 AM »
Whatever you decide to buy . . . also buy a matching cubic zirconia for actual wearing out in public.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 09:18:18 AM »

Offline Muzh

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 09:34:55 AM »
Muzh

So you agree with that?

FP

I could had afforded an engagement ring costing at least three times as much as he quoted. However, I went to my friend's jewelry store and he and his wife advised me on an unpretentious, but charming ring.

I gave that ring to my wife on my second trip and she could not stop showing it to her friends. My wife told me every one said I had very good taste. They have heard of giant rocks Americans would bring to their intended and could not understand how that related to love.

When we were to get married, I told my wife I wanted to go my friend's store and get a wedding ring. She flatly refused. She said she was in love with the ring I gave her and she would never take it off.

I have given her quite a few diamond rings for X-mas through the years. They still sit in her jewelry box, untouched.

Between you and me, Americans tend to show their power with many material things they own. Sort of the Protestant redemption to heaven. Just look around. McMansions, 70" HDTVs, super-size everything edible, SUVs the size of school buses, and the list go on. Europeans tend to be more reserved.

Just saying.  ;)
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 10:38:48 AM »
Muzh

The sweeping declaration about Americans is bullshit and I firmly believe that. Sure there are pretentious Americans that equate the cost of a ring to the measure of love, absolutely but this isn't just an "American trait". It happens in all first world countries around the globe and the Swiss certainly are not exempt.

My story, the wife and I went to Walmart to buy our wedding bands the day before our wedding. Prior to that I never bought her an engagement ring although I did buy her some impressive and expensive jewelry. In fact we never even discussed engagement or wedding rings. By the time we got to Walmart (40 miles away) I discovered I didn't have my billfold and my soon to be bride bought both bands with her money and refused to let me reimburse her. At that time I asked her if she wanted a wedding ring and she told me no. It wasn't mentioned again. I did however buy her a wedding ring for Christmas a year later. It was pricey but not gaudy pricey and could be viewed by some I suppose as modest, well made and I picked it out with some help from my daughter. The wife was ecstatic. To this day she doesn't know the price nor care. I didn't choose it on price nor care. I've bought her several nice dinner rings since then and I think what she likes most about all of the jewelry is that I picked it out, or so she says.

But the inference that "Americans" equate the price of the ring to love is absurd. It's a personality trait not uncommon anywhere, was my point

Offline jone

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2015, 10:51:30 AM »
FP,

Nice job forgetting your wallet.  You cagey bstrd.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Muzh

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2015, 11:06:29 AM »
Muzh

The sweeping declaration about Americans is bullshit and I firmly believe that. Sure there are pretentious Americans that equate the cost of a ring to the measure of love, absolutely but this isn't just an "American trait". It happens in all first world countries around the globe and the Swiss certainly are not exempt.

My story, the wife and I went to Walmart to buy our wedding bands the day before our wedding. Prior to that I never bought her an engagement ring although I did buy her some impressive and expensive jewelry. In fact we never even discussed engagement or wedding rings. By the time we got to Walmart (40 miles away) I discovered I didn't have my billfold and my soon to be bride bought both bands with her money and refused to let me reimburse her. At that time I asked her if she wanted a wedding ring and she told me no. It wasn't mentioned again. I did however buy her a wedding ring for Christmas a year later. It was pricey but not gaudy pricey and could be viewed by some I suppose as modest, well made and I picked it out with some help from my daughter. The wife was ecstatic. To this day she doesn't know the price nor care. I didn't choose it on price nor care. I've bought her several nice dinner rings since then and I think what she likes most about all of the jewelry is that I picked it out, or so she says.

But the inference that "Americans" equate the price of the ring to love is absurd. It's a personality trait not uncommon anywhere, was my point

FP, that was a nice story. Not going to comment on Jone's rendition.  ;D

Still, the view of American equating big rock with love is prevalent. That many can afford it, well. However, my friend who is an insider in the industry (jewelry) will agree with me. Actually, he says he counts on that, keeps him in business.  ;)

What I said was not meant as an insult to Americans, it is just an observation.

Peace.

Offline jone

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2015, 12:03:37 PM »

Still, the view of American equating big rock with love is prevalent. That many can afford it, well. However, my friend who is an insider in the industry (jewelry) will agree with me. Actually, he says he counts on that, keeps him in business.  ;)

Peace.

Frankly, Muzh,

I agree with you.  Back when I was first married, my future wife had to have an engagement ring that would match her station in life.  Living in Southern California, it turned out to be around 5K.  It was more than I could afford at the time.  My brother lent me the money.

Expectations for marriage are so high that the future Mrs. Jone required the perfect wedding, the perfect dress, the perfect honeymoon, and, or course, the perfect ring.  The only thing missing was the perfect bride.  (And probably the perfect groom.)

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2015, 12:17:54 PM »

Peace.

For Nightwish it was but, makes me no matter. I was wondering if that is what you were applauding. My 1st wife attributed Rock vs Love too. Thank goodness I didn't make much money then. You're right, jewelers bank on that. They also bank on it in other countries as well  ;D

FP,

Nice job forgetting your wallet.  You cagey bstrd.

Perfect planning and execution  :D

Offline Nightwish

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2015, 12:47:50 PM »
For Nightwish it was but, makes me no matter. I was wondering if that is what you were applauding. My 1st wife attributed Rock vs Love too. Thank goodness I didn't make much money then. You're right, jewelers bank on that. They also bank on it in other countries as well  ;D

Perfect planning and execution  :D

FP

Are you really that sensitive, Citizen in the greatest nation in the world.. and a few ironic words about the generic American hurts your feelings..  not much for self-criticism I notice. 

It's not even a question about it, you Americans in particular are obsessed with this, size and prize.. and that would correlate to how much you love someone, again the generic American, there is always exemptions to the rule.
Take a chill pill and take a step back with your red-white and blue goggles... maybe you can discover something new.

And to clarify, it was not meant as an insult to any American, simply an ironic observation from the rest of the world
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 12:51:12 PM by Nightwish »
Multitasking means screwing up several things at once.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2015, 01:03:36 PM »
In writing the following, I mean no offense to those who have purchased "engagement" rings. I write this solely for the benefit who have not yet made that purchase:

For the life of me, I do not understand the obsession with "engagement" rings.

At ZAGS (Russia) or RAGS (Ukraine), the civil "Wedding Palace," the only two rings the couple will wear are the wedding bands. Those will be exchanged close to the end of the ceremony after the couple has sat at the wedding officiants table and signed their documents. Soon thereafter the officiant invites them to complete the ceremony with the exchange of rings.

No engagement ring prior, during, or after.

In fact, had a Western man given her a ring to wear, not only would it not have signified anything at all to people in that part of the world, it would by necessity come off and be put in a drawer after the wedding ring was put on her finger.

When the newly married couple goes to church to spiritually seal that marriage by sacrament, the only "engagement" that happens is when the couple enters the church for the religious ceremony. It is called a betrothal. Standing in the back of her church, just inside the entrance, the priest and deacons have walked down the aisle to greet the couple. He asks simply if they have come of their own free will, and are they free (legally and emotionally) to enter into the marriage covenant. Each answers his questions with a yes, and the priest blessed their engagement. They are now betrothed to each other. Tall candles are lighted, the two attendants step behind the couple, and the priest leads them to the front of the church to be married.

There is no engagement ring, no betrothal ring, etc. There is a wedding towel to bind their hands together, and another wedding towel upon which they will stand during the ceremony, but no engagement ring.

During the religious ceremony the priest will have both rings. As a symbol of unity he will place the ladies ring on the grooms finger and then the grooms ring on the lady's finger. Then he will reverse those. This will happen three times as a form of the Trinity. At that moment there cannot be any other rings on your hand. That is the single and most important band of a lifetime. The priest will speak that all other ties and commitments are cast away, and these two wedding rings symbolize solidarity and the oneness of the couple.

When those gals walk out of the church, 99% of them have no desire to add any other ring next to that wedding band. It is simply a matter of Eastern worldview vs. Western worldview.

Like Muzh, I'm mystified at how Western guys insist on transplanting a Western tradition into a culture where it is absolutely devoid of meaning. To those who see the ring on her finger, it is not a sign that she is spoken for--it just means that somebody gave her a round item with some sparkly bling. It could have been a gift from her grandmother, or something she won in a casino, but it is not a sign in her world that she has agreed to marry anyone.

Does she even know what an "engagement" ring is? Sure, unless she has lived under a rock and knows nothing of Western traditions. She might even like the idea, but at the end of the day it is impractical to most FSU ladies.

Next time you travel to the FSU, look at the hands of married folk. A wedding band will be worn on the right hand, as opposed to the left, and if you took photos of a thousand couples, upon return to the West you will almost certainly find ZERO instances of a woman with two rings on that finger. Why is that? Because there is simply no tradition of singling out a woman as "taken" or "spoken for" with a ring. If you see a single woman with a ring on a hand, it simply means that she is wearing jewelry-slinging some bling.

Now with all that being said, what I just wrote is not going to deter a guy from doing something that is deeply ingrained in the Western psyche. I get that. So here are some practical considerations:

- The lady wrote our OP and tipped him off that a ring will "be hidden under the floor of the house." Notice that she did not write that it would be meaningful, and that she was happy to hear that he'd spend the equivalent of a year's salary in her world on a ring that is worn for a few months and then put in a drawer once the wedding bands were exchanged.

- Were he my son, I'd advise him to follow the ladies advice and buy her a nice tennis bracelet or cocktail ring that could be worn on the opposite hand at special times and occasions.

- Try to follow her thinking: if you are willing to spend the equivalent of a month or two of your salary (or whatever the prevailing Western tradition dictates these days) on something that she will eventually toss in a drawer, then imagine what she will think when you refuse to spend the same amount of money on something that she might request later. It will be hard for her to understand why you can't afford $2500 in dental work for her child, when just last year you seemed hellbent on spending a lot of money on a pretty little ring that is locked away in the closet. She may not verbalize it, but my guess is that she'd wonder how you'd react if she hocked the ring to pay for the dentist.

Final thoughts: I've been ring shopping in the FSU. I have married off three daughters in the last decade, a combination of weddings in the FSU and the USA. A couple can purchase quality wedding bands in the FSU for a fraction of what many couples spend in the West.

There are so many things in life that are more important than what you paid for a ring that will collect dust in a drawer: Medical procedures, buying a ticket for your wife to visit her parents, band or sport uniforms for kids, class trips for graduates, quality family vacations, etc. The bottom line is that you do not really "impress" a lady by spending money needlessly. In fact, she may view it as a sign of foolishness.

What she'd probably like to do with that money is remodel the kitchen.  :D
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 01:10:07 PM by mendeleyev »
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2015, 02:15:16 PM »
FP

Are you really that sensitive, Citizen in the greatest nation in the world.. and a few ironic words about the generic American hurts your feelings..  not much for self-criticism I notice. 

It's not even a question about it, you Americans in particular are obsessed with this, size and prize.. and that would correlate to how much you love someone, again the generic American, there is always exemptions to the rule.
Take a chill pill and take a step back with your red-white and blue goggles... maybe you can discover something new.

And to clarify, it was not meant as an insult to any American, simply an ironic observation from the rest of the world

No I'm not too sensitive at all as most folks here would probably attest and your words meant nothing to me. Otherwise, I would have addressed you concerning them. As you might have noted I addressed Muzh as to enlighten me as to why he would applaud such a moronic post as yours. Nothing more, nothing less  ;D

Offline Noch1

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2015, 03:02:43 PM »
Mendy you are in many ways correct. But not all people are quite that religious
and do not go through such a ceremony. As for dental work or any other
more important item, I would hope no one spends money they don't have on
a ring, of any kind if they can't afford basic needs.
 My wife and step son needed dental work.
It was done. Drivers lic. done, new car, done, you get my point.

Nobody should spend above what the 1- can afford, 2- what they are comfortable with. Each person/ couple has different life expectations and desires.
I am sure we all spend money on different items that would make others
shake their heads. Thats why people are so diverse, good thing to IMO.
Common sense, Is not so common!

Offline Jumper

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2015, 03:15:01 PM »
Just give her a wedding stick, if she breaks it,  it's over.

You could start a new (old) trend, you can even have better more elaborate jeweled sticks for the women to show other women they have
a better one.

;D

Offline Darth_Budda

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2015, 04:00:33 PM »
I went with my grandmother ring...

It had more meaning than any ring that could be bought in a store...
We need a government of action to fight for working families!
Caleb Maupin

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
The great engagement ring debate continues.
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2015, 04:14:10 PM »
Так! We can't seem to come to agreement on a ring budget. Through our many conversations I now know she wants an oblong shaped diamond be cause she had short fingers and feels oblong will help the appearance. No problem. Based on multiple previous conversations I knew that what I had originally thought for a budget was way to high for her liking. So I had finally come to grips that I would settle for a budget in the neighborhood of $1,800 give or take some. Still feel very cheap even though I've come to terms with it. So i offered a budget to her of $1,500 - $2,000. Her replies: Мой дорогой, вы хотите чтобы бандиты оторвали мне пальцы вместе с кольцом!!! Или кольцо будет лежать дома спрятанное под пол! Меня устраивает медное кольцо! 100 - 200 долларов. это достаточная цена для кольца! So obviously we are miles apart. Now what do I do?  :cluebat:

Please note this is my advice and what I would do. I don't know your situation at all.
My advice is worth every penny you are paying me (nothing)

I would tell her to go look at rings that she likes for both of you, and that you will be
there in a month to pay for them. I would tell her that she is saving you enough money
to buy a ticket to see her. My bet is that she likes the idea.

FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline alex330

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2015, 05:09:01 PM »
Buy her a nice ring so she does not feel out of place when she arrives.  Toss the four C's out the window and buy her the largest imperfect diamond you can find within your budget.

Offline BdHvA

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2015, 05:15:11 PM »
The idea of an engagement ring is growing in popularity in Ukraine. The local Tiffany's did it seems a rocking business in these rings. It is indeed a Western tradition that became popular after deBeers marketed the practice.

What is distressing is to see large and ugly stones on a woman's finger. Oddly enough a diamond with small inclusions or not of river quality is not so obvious on an ear lobe. On a finger it is painful to look at.

I gave my Julia a ring where the central stone came from a piece of jewelry my mother gave me from my father. The central stone is just shy of one carat and is an Aascher cut Champagne diamond. My friend in Amsterdam who manufactures some very high end jewelry was amazed by both the colour and clarity of the central stone. Oddly enough the Aascher cut became popular a long time ago in Russia.

Julia only wears her engagement ring on special occasions. But she likes the ring and values the significance.
Experierence is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you. A. Huxley

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541014
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1875
Total: 1886

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Today at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Today at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM