It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Coronavirus, how are you preparing for it and how it is affecting you so far?  (Read 447290 times)

Offline BC

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Coronavirus, how are you preparing for it and how it is affecting you so far?
« Reply #1925 on: April 06, 2020, 09:49:09 AM »
No, I'm not shooting from the hip, you are for getting as riled up about this matter as CNN.

If you never had any problem with Trump promoting use of the medication, then what exactly IS your issue other than the obvious effect of CNN in your psyche?

I already described my objections, and I am not riled up - instead I am responding to prior posts of others on the subject.

Offline SteveInBoston

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #1926 on: April 06, 2020, 09:51:51 AM »
I do not know why you guys go over politics over and over again here.  I thought there was another thread for that?

Chances of changing anyone's opinion:  0%.  Well, maybe 0.00000000001%

Chances of wasting time while quarantined:  99%?

Offline GQBlues

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #1927 on: April 06, 2020, 09:56:51 AM »
I already described my objections, and I am not riled up - instead I am responding to prior posts of others on the subject.

Awesome! Then this subject can be put to bed.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline BC

« Reply #1928 on: April 06, 2020, 10:06:52 AM »
Semantics. I haven't seen his push to announce it as a gamechanger. I've heard him discuss it in his daily briefings but far from promoting it. He said he wants it available. Maybe he did and I missed it but, the fact remains it is an approved drug for malaria and 'some' doctors are finding it useful specifically with some older patients with covid when not much else is working. IMO it should be left up to the doctors and there for them to use without waiting on any further testing or approval from medical journals or the MSM. Also IMO it doesn't even warrant discussion of whether it should be administered unless it is from the doctors on the front line of whom would administer it

As stated, I don't disagree with the bold part of your post.  As for the rest, plenty of youtube videos to watch and WH briefing transcripts.

Offline BC

« Reply #1929 on: April 06, 2020, 10:09:36 AM »

Indeed!  We can chat again when the results of one of the many clinical trials are published.

Maybe the rest of folks around here can also agree.

Offline msmob

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #1930 on: April 06, 2020, 10:24:30 AM »
Indeed!  We can chat again when the results of one of the many clinical trials are published.

Maybe the rest of folks around here can also agree.

Mr Mistake will simply diss any non supporting trial as 'irrelevant' - even if as in France - it found this can kill patients that would otherwise survive

Offline BC

« Reply #1931 on: April 06, 2020, 10:41:34 AM »
Mr Mistake will simply diss any non supporting trial as 'irrelevant' - even if as in France - it found this can kill patients that would otherwise survive

Oh, I don't think like you at all.  In roundabout ways, we have been able to agree on quite a bit.  I'm quite liberal (in the non-political sense) when it comes to giving the benefit of the doubt.

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #1932 on: April 06, 2020, 10:49:08 AM »

Moobs you are just a moron and everything supports that. The tests and trials for the drug have long been concluded for it's intended application. Those should not be dismissed because they are done so by you, the RWD resident expert, Gobshite and useful idiot who never has had a conclusion or a thought of his own but, only joins a discussion for the purpose of disagreement. Did you consult you contacts around world before making that post?

Offline msmob

« Reply #1933 on: April 06, 2020, 10:56:40 AM »
Oh, I don't think like you at all.  In roundabout ways, we have been able to agree on quite a bit.  I'm quite liberal (in the non-political sense) when it comes to giving the benefit of the doubt.

Do you need the link he 'dissed' ? ;)

Offline msmob

« Reply #1934 on: April 06, 2020, 10:58:45 AM »
Moobs you are just a moron and everything supports that. The tests and trials for the drug have long been concluded for it's intended application. Those should not be dismissed because they are done so by you, the RWD resident expert, Gobshite and useful idiot who never has had a conclusion or a thought of his own but, only joins a discussion for the purpose of disagreement. Did you consult you contacts around world before making that post?

No, just the Lancet .. a renowned, long standing UK medical journal ... but you KNOW that ... ;)

I'd take their articles and trial results over your 'evidence', anytime

Offline BC

« Reply #1935 on: April 06, 2020, 11:00:14 AM »
No, I don't need the link as it seems you two may be talking past each other.  FP refers to the trial for its intended use while you refer to the limited trials for use against Coronavirus.

You both may be correct... how 'bout that?

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #1936 on: April 06, 2020, 11:07:49 AM »
I do not know why you guys go over politics over and over again here.  I thought there was another thread for that?

Chances of changing anyone's opinion:  0%.  Well, maybe 0.00000000001%

Chances of wasting time while quarantined:  99%?

Oh, they don't expect to change anyone's mind Steve, they just like to argue, particularly our Mobe. To the Irish arguing is a national sport, if our Mobe wasn't able to argue then he would rather die of the Coronavirus.

Trump seems to hold an unusual fascination amount the US crowd on here. They seem to go into the nitty gritty ins & outs rather than the big policy picture I tend to find. I personally only find the big policy picture interesting.

Unfortunately I think the hug bear amount US guys on here about the nitty gritty US politics Trump stuff tend to make its way through a bit. Just something to have to live with for those of us not too concerned I guess.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #1937 on: April 06, 2020, 11:38:43 AM »
It is interesting to see and to note how certain things are developing that would've been otherwise unheard of before this pandemic hit globally. I read in the news the other day that the feds may step in and forced the airline companies, amongst other businesses, to refund tickets that were sold before the shutdown, including those non-refundable purchases.

Allstate Insurance just today announced that because the lockdown resulted in cutting auto traffic in the US, that it would refund up to about $600 million in auto insurance premiums for a given period.

I hope all other industries, in the same vein, follow suit.
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Offline msmob

« Reply #1938 on: April 06, 2020, 11:38:50 AM »
Oh, they don't expect to change anyone's mind Steve, they just like to argue, particularly our Mobe. To the Irish arguing is a national sport, if our Mobe wasn't able to argue then he would rather die of the Coronavirus.

Trump seems to hold an unusual fascination amount the US crowd on here. They seem to go into the nitty gritty ins & outs rather than the big policy picture I tend to find. I personally only find the big policy picture interesting.

Unfortunately I think the hug bear amount US guys on here about the nitty gritty US politics Trump stuff tend to make its way through a bit. Just something to have to live with for those of us not too concerned I guess.

Trench,

in your case, I'm defo not 'arguing .. You are deliberating flouting all advice to stay home and flitting between Wales and Dorset

You are a liability

You  need educating and a tracker fitted to control you   

Offline Gator

« Reply #1939 on: April 06, 2020, 12:34:36 PM »

Can not be put to bed given there are so many drugs in the pipeline.     Given that HCQ has years and years of human use, we know the risks to health, and in not more than 2-3 months, we should know its scientific efficacy against COVID. 

If I were to guess, I would say HCQ will prove to be somewhat beneficial,  but less effective than some other drugs for whom tests are just now starting. 

Offline Boethius

« Reply #1940 on: April 06, 2020, 12:39:43 PM »
You and CNN, who said its overuse could deprive meds from people who have malaria.   ;)

The  theme of "possible gamechanger"  came last week  from a NYC infectious disease physician having positive results with 72 high-risk patients, most of whom have diabetes, etc., and none of whom had to be intubated.  The doctor used the phrase "beginning of the end."  I reported it here:

http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=24136.msg531173#msg531173

Hydroxychloroquine can't be used by everyone.  Those with heart conditions, for example. There's also some preliminary (though not peer reviewed) findings that it increases death rates in diabetics on metformin.   That's for patients without COVID-19. 

Some physicians have claimed large doses of Vitamin C have helped their COVID-19 patients.  Others have used mixes of other drugs.  It's difficult to know what to believe, and I think we just have to wait until experts sort it out.  It's not useful for people with no medical training to put "possible" cures out there, or to debate the issue publicly.

This post was composed without the aid of google.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 01:21:20 PM by Boethius »
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #1941 on: April 06, 2020, 12:50:34 PM »
No, I don't need the link as it seems you two may be talking past each other.  FP refers to the trial for its intended use while you refer to the limited trials for use against Coronavirus.

You both may be correct... how 'bout that?

Moob's history is to be wrong about everything. I don't believe he is right about anything nor does he care. He only looks to be contrary to every post no matter the subject. He's proven wrong time and time again only to argue and enter another strawman totally unrelated to the previous. My guess is, he was dropped on his head to many times as a child, an obvious explanation. Unfortunately, I do not post anything for or to him (except to remind him that he is a moron as he tends to forget) I post for others and he merely interjects.

Of course my reference is that the drug is approved for malaria. Under normal circumstances it would require trials for covid. These are not normal circumstances and we know the side effects thus, the drug should be accepted for use. As Trump did state, if it can save a life, it's worth the chance.

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #1942 on: April 06, 2020, 01:08:22 PM »
Can not be put to bed given there are so many drugs in the pipeline.     Given that HCQ has years and years of human use, we know the risks to health, and in not more than 2-3 months, we should know its scientific efficacy against COVID.

While true and in agreement, my statement to BC actually was to move away from the Trump-based politics of the administration of the drug.

If I were to guess, I would say HCQ will prove to be somewhat beneficial,  but less effective than some other drugs for whom tests are just now starting.

I share the sentiment. For now though, even if this ultimately gave a dying person 'hope', then it served a 'purpose' - IMHO.

I was reading some pretty horrid realities for many, if not the majority, of these victims in ICUs. They suffer from a 'drowning-like' sensation as soon as the body's auto-immune system begins its work and it starts destroying their lungs' ability to filter oxygen in their blood stream. The patient then gets injected with anesthesia to put then under and either gets their trachea cut to insert a breathing tube, or is placed on ventilators. This in turn becomes critical as many times its' difficult to determine how much damage their lungs sustained from the virus, and if it can still withstand the air pressure coming from the breathing apparatus - potentially doing more damage than good. Even if they survived, the likelihood of a prolonged life after going through this apparently is slim to none. It's like a death sentence if one got this far.

If the 'drug' can be administered 'prior' to getting to this stage, and it helped one, few, some, many, most - maybe none but gave 'hope' anyway, why not.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 01:14:47 PM by GQBlues »

Offline BC

« Reply #1943 on: April 06, 2020, 01:14:27 PM »
FP,

Moby's 'gotta have the last word' viral effect on internet fora is well known, possibly for decades. There is only one known cure and that is virtual distancing, whether by ban or by simply ignoring replies that are not constructive.

Offline BC

« Reply #1944 on: April 06, 2020, 01:17:28 PM »
Just heard Boris is in ICU.

I might not like his politics, but do hope he recovers.

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #1945 on: April 06, 2020, 01:20:10 PM »

Ditto. Edited to add - I've no opinion about this 'politics'. Not for me to opine one way or another.

I hope he gets better.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 01:23:28 PM by GQBlues »

Offline Gator

« Reply #1946 on: April 06, 2020, 01:36:27 PM »

If the 'drug' can be administered 'prior' to getting to this stage, and it helped one, few, some, many, most - maybe none but gave 'hope' anyway, why not.

Exactly. 

Such is referred to as "compassionate use" when involving experimental drugs.   HCQ differs because we have years and years of safe use in humans for other diseases, making this an "off-label" use.   This from Wiki says it all:

The ability to prescribe drugs for uses beyond the officially approved indications is commonly used to good effect by healthcare providers.

Marketing of a drug for off-label use is prohibited.  This begs the question of whether there is any quid pro quo.  Sorry....slap my wrist

Online krimster2

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #1947 on: April 06, 2020, 02:11:02 PM »
you guyz listening to the medical advice from the guy who was behind the Trump University scam...
while simultaneously thinking that you’re one of the “smart ones”
is freakin’ hilariously funny

Offline msmob

« Reply #1948 on: April 06, 2020, 02:13:52 PM »
FP,

Moby's 'gotta have the last word' viral effect on internet fora is well known, possibly for decades. There is only one known cure and that is virtual distancing, whether by ban or by simply ignoring replies that are not constructive.

BC, it is  'well known' by those who dislike being busted for posting tosh ..

When I questioned your 'Irishness' I was wrong and conceded same ..   

For what reason should I be banned' ?  For countering 'Kremlin' propaganda elsewhere or daring to question 'Trampu' on here ?

Calling out Trench or referring to BillyB as silly ..?

Ah, perhaps it's because I translate the aptly named Mr faux pas ..

May be I upset Maxx, by wishing hi to be 'safe' ..

All heinous crimes deserving of a ban...

It's OK, I'm not complaining about your non constructive post .. my shoulders can ( just ) bear it ..

Now.. for Trench ..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-52183888

for the next time you THINK it's smart to drive to see family ..

..and finally to BoJo's family .. hoping he recovers fully .. it is a shame that it takes your illness to wake ( some of ) us up to how serious this could be .. 

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #1949 on: April 06, 2020, 02:16:24 PM »

Indeed, as I do. I think he is a decent guy and doesn't get in your face like some politicians, he has a relaxed communication style which makes him easier to bear hearing on TV than most of them.

Even more importantly I think he is crucial to the Brexit process. I feel he has done a good job to date so far on Brexit. I don't really see any other in the Tory party that could carry the job as well as him.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541334
Total Topics: 20861
Most Online Today: 2843
Most Online Ever: 12701