It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Odesa Dreaming  (Read 27426 times)

Online krimster2

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Odesa Dreaming
« Reply #125 on: March 26, 2022, 06:58:12 AM »
you need a woman to "front" for you in Ukraine
that's your first acquisition...
then buy "Dacha" land, it'll be "dirt cheap"
there will ALWAYS be corruption in Ukraine, it's just "overhead"
as long as you own Biznesses with cash flow corruption doesn't really matter, it's just malenky kartoshkie
« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 07:00:27 AM by krimster2 »

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #126 on: March 26, 2022, 01:04:37 PM »

then buy "Dacha" land, it'll be "dirt cheap"
there will ALWAYS be corruption in Ukraine, it's just "overhead"
as long as you own Biznesses with cash flow corruption doesn't really matter, it's just malenky kartoshkie

Lol, that's a good move Krim, it's kind off a bit like I was saying earlier in this thread that once I get a girl out there then she can sort out cheaper living costs, utilities, rent, etc.

How about for women out in Dacha land, is there many of those about to fill your swimming pool with? ;D
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #127 on: March 26, 2022, 01:13:40 PM »

To get anywhere in Russian you would need to dedicate one to two hours a day and stick to it. 15 minutes won't cut it. There are no short cuts to language learning.

I think for me at least as far as Pimsleur is concerned and my short amount of free time at the moment 15 minutes is about as much as I can bear most nights. Occasionally I can do the whole half hour but that makes up for nights where I'm too tired to do 15 minutes so it averages out to 15 minutes at the moment.

After I've finished with Pimsleur and I get more free time after the house conversion is complete I'll do more time on it. Pimsleur just does my head in and when a bit tired it's hard to beat for too long. I know it's likely to go in more and I think a short bit of learning with a bit of rest in between will help drum it in a bit more rather than trying to learn too much at the beginning. Once I've done that probably gone back over Michel Thomas, found someone to converse with, etc I'll probably try and immerse myself in the language out in Ukraine and learn more that way with a bit of luck, that is if Ukraine becomes somewhere to travel to again.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Steven1971

« Reply #128 on: March 27, 2022, 03:47:06 AM »

Perfective/Imperfective is a PIA also.

As long as you learn irregular verbs it's quite straightforward IMO.

Take the verb to eat - manger

Je mange - I eat
J'ai mangé - I ate
Je mangeais - I was eating
J'avais mangé - I had eaten

Je vais manger - I am going to eat
Je mangerai - I am going to eat

Je mangerais - I would eat
J'aurais mangé - I would have eaten

Those are really all the tenses you need in French. This is the pattern for all regular verbs ending in ER. As long as you know Avoir to conjugate you're sorted.

Personally where I struggle with Russian is when a word or verb has more than the average amount of syllables.

Knowing a word or a sentence by itself is fine. But to give a real world experience I recently made a short video to send to the lady I am communicating with in Kyiv. It was just three short sentences and I had to do 50 takes before I was mildly satisfied with the result.

Even then I stumbled when I said  весна началась (vesna nachalas) - Spring has begun.  If I tried again I would say весна пришла (vesna prishla) - Spring has arrived.

It's a much easier sentence, possibly because it rhymes, but also 'prishla' has one fewer vowels and one fewer syllables. It feels easier on the tongue for a native English speaker.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 03:48:54 AM by Steven1971 »

Offline Chelseaboy

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #129 on: March 27, 2022, 04:07:02 AM »
I'm not sure learning Russian is a smart idea now..if you're looking to pull a Ukrainian woman.

From what i'm seeing and hearing on the various news channels....Sky News,BBC,CNN,Euronews...there is now a pathological hatred for anything Russian among Ukrainians now.

I've lost count of the times i've heard Ukrainians say they're NEVER going to speak Russian again..this is from the women fleeing/hiding and the men fighting.

Some Brit bloke rocking up in Ukraine and speaking Russian won't go down well there i strongly suspect...you might end up on your back with a broken nose where a Ukrainian man has hit you, or women will be saying "Why are you speaking hated Russian,why not Ukrainian " ?
Just saying it like it is.

Online krimster2

« Reply #130 on: March 27, 2022, 08:46:47 AM »
Russian is the “lingua franca” of the FSU
it gives you geographic flexibility
so if Ukraine and Russia are not on the table
well, no worries cuz ya got “the stans”  Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, etc

all the ‘stans have an impoverished Russian minority, that’s “perfect picking”
poor deavotchkie diggin kartoskie in their parents dacha
would love an evening out in Tashkent

then you got the local uzbeks, etc and then “mixed race” girls
I lost track of how many of these “big bosomed” girls in tight fitting sweaters wanted to chat in English with me….

there’s all kinds of opportunities in the ‘stans

Online krimster2

« Reply #131 on: March 27, 2022, 08:51:03 AM »
"How about for women out in Dacha land, is there many of those about to fill your swimming pool with"

I only allowed a few local village girls access to my pool, otherwise there'd be a crowd
when you have the only pool around for many KM, word quickly spreads

if you REALLY, REALLY want a lot of "pooty tang" in the FSU
get a swimming pool, or get a boat, or BOTH
these are babe magnets in the FSU
wimmin will just walk right up to you out of nowhere, it makes each day an exciting one in the summer
cuz ya never know whatcher gonna get

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
  • Trips: > 10
Odesa Dreaming
« Reply #132 on: March 27, 2022, 10:18:43 AM »

You are a very secure man (as am I). I completely trust my woman.
I don't know that Trench will ever trust a woman with his kopecks.

FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #133 on: March 27, 2022, 10:19:14 AM »
there’s all kinds of opportunities in the ‘stans

+100
FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Online krimster2

« Reply #134 on: March 27, 2022, 11:05:42 AM »
Tashkent has been completely transformed from its previous neglected state
you “English speaking persons” will feel completely at home at the Radisson, Tashkent with its English speaking staff, even flush toilettes now, and not just a “dirko” in the floor!!!
and it's REALLY cheap there, Trench will LOVE IT!!!
they can fix ya right up with a car and driver (also English speakin’)
if yur just huntin pooty-tang, then it’s fine to just stay around “Tushkyent” and hunt all ya want

OTOH, you want an AMAZING adventure then head south to “Termez” which has the best “chernyy rynok” I have EVER seen, everything from emeralds from Afghanistan to AKs and even baggies of fresh raw OPIUM!!!  I could spend days shopping there….

Not a bad place at all
also, virgin metal detecting country!!!
watch out for the cobras, though they're mostly up North
they are the most beautiful snake I have EVER seen, magnificent coloration
smaller than their Indian cousin
but deadly poisonous
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 11:15:10 AM by krimster2 »

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #135 on: March 27, 2022, 01:00:29 PM »
You are a very secure man (as am I). I completely trust my woman.
I don't know that Trench will ever trust a woman with his kopecks.

I assume the process would entail getting married first then both your name and hers goes down on the deeds to the Dacha, her name to safeguard against corruption, that and to buy property that is deemed agricultural land as I understand it.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #136 on: March 27, 2022, 01:03:32 PM »
"How about for women out in Dacha land, is there many of those about to fill your swimming pool with"

I only allowed a few local village girls access to my pool, otherwise there'd be a crowd
when you have the only pool around for many KM, word quickly spreads

if you REALLY, REALLY want a lot of "pooty tang" in the FSU
get a swimming pool, or get a boat, or BOTH
these are babe magnets in the FSU
wimmin will just walk right up to you out of nowhere, it makes each day an exciting one in the summer
cuz ya never know whatcher gonna get

The swimming pool option sounds great Krim, but with girls coming from so far and wide didn't it bring any unwanted attention? Any attempts to swipe it from you even with a Ukrainian woman's name in the deeds? It must have stood out a fair bit out there I would have thought.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #137 on: March 27, 2022, 01:18:47 PM »
I'm not sure learning Russian is a smart idea now..if you're looking to pull a Ukrainian woman.

From what i'm seeing and hearing on the various news channels....Sky News,BBC,CNN,Euronews...there is now a pathological hatred for anything Russian among Ukrainians now.

I've lost count of the times i've heard Ukrainians say they're NEVER going to speak Russian again..this is from the women fleeing/hiding and the men fighting.

Some Brit bloke rocking up in Ukraine and speaking Russian won't go down well there i strongly suspect...you might end up on your back with a broken nose where a Ukrainian man has hit you, or women will be saying "Why are you speaking hated Russian,why not Ukrainian " ?

I had to stop and think about it CB as those thoughts arose in my mind. In the end though I figured that Ukrainians are not going to forget how to speak Russian overnight and as a foreigner they will probably allow you some slack. Odesa at the moment is largely untouched by it all so if that remains so that may help, other places who knows.

For me while there are resources out there to learn Ukrainian it tends not to be so much, Pimsleur only does one unit on it that I can find. Add to that I would be starting at ground zero again and having to put aside much learnt in Russian and try not to confuse the two. As Krimster rightly points out Russian is a lot more universal to several countries out that direction so it gives more bang for its buck learning it. If I learn Ukrainian I'm pretty much confined to Ukraine with it. While I'm kind of set on Ukraine I think a language that is more universal will likely be handier for me.

It's looking like Russia might be on a losing one on this one with their invasion no guarantees though that it will remain so. I'm thinking it'll be down to whether they are prepared to use their more deadly missiles. Potentially this conflict could end in April or soon after if Russia fail to make headway in Donbas etc, if so while Ukrainian particularly those in Mariupol and likely Kharkiv, Kyiv, etc will hate Russians for a long time to come I'm not so sure that a month or two of war will equate to a big long term language shift, though I could be wrong of course.

Offline Patagonie

• >25 travels
« Reply #138 on: March 27, 2022, 03:04:04 PM »
As long as you learn irregular verbs it's quite straightforward IMO.

Take the verb to eat - manger

Je mange - I eat
J'ai mangé - I ate
Je mangeais - I was eating
J'avais mangé - I had eaten

Je vais manger - I am going to eat
Je mangerai - I am going to eat

Je mangerais - I would eat
J'aurais mangé - I would have eaten

Those are really all the tenses you need in French. This is the pattern for all regular verbs ending in ER. As long as you know Avoir to conjugate you're sorted.

Personally where I struggle with Russian is when a word or verb has more than the average amount of syllables.

Knowing a word or a sentence by itself is fine. But to give a real world experience I recently made a short video to send to the lady I am communicating with in Kyiv. It was just three short sentences and I had to do 50 takes before I was mildly satisfied with the result.

Even then I stumbled when I said  весна началась (vesna nachalas) - Spring has begun.  If I tried again I would say весна пришла (vesna prishla) - Spring has arrived.

It's a much easier sentence, possibly because it rhymes, but also 'prishla' has one fewer vowels and one fewer syllables. It feels easier on the tongue for a native English speaker.
весна идёт
"Je glissais through the paper wall, an angel in the hand, s taboy. I lay on the floor, surgi des chants de Maldoror, je mix l'intégrale de mes nuits de crystal, i belong to the festival.

Offline Steven1971

« Reply #139 on: March 27, 2022, 03:05:47 PM »

The lady I am talking to is orginally from the Donbas, but was internally displaced to Kyiv. She has a pretty good level of English when we talk on Google Chat and uses primairily Russian in Ukraine. Her parents are still based in the Donbas. She uses Russian spelling for cities such as Kharkiv and Kiev.

I had a long distance relatioinship for 18 months with a lady from Odesa and I met another in Kherson. Both preferred to use Russian when we were out and about in town rather than Ukranian. Obviously before the war, but old habits die hard especially in the south and east of Ukraine.

Regarding foreigners using Russian i think there would be a difference in attitude between someone with a heavy English accent speaking Russian and a Russian speaking their native tongue,

Any Russian i would speak i would really confine to meeting her family if the occassion were to happen - i could finally say Очень приятно as a greeting.

Offline Chelseaboy

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #140 on: March 27, 2022, 03:18:59 PM »

Obviously before the war, but old habits die hard especially in the south and east of Ukraine.

Regarding foreigners using Russian i think there would be a difference in attitude between someone with a heavy English accent speaking Russian and a Russian speaking their native tongue,

The war has changed everything.

Brits are very popular in Ukraine now,ever since we donated those 2000 anti-Tank missiles to them before the war started..it means the world to Ukrainians to see Brits turning up to fight alongside them or to help with the humanitarian disaster.

I have an acquaintance in Lviv right now,helping with the catering...and the Ukrainians love him...he can only speak English,but the locals are all making the effort to communicate with him.
He's practically had two offers of marriage in the week he's been there,but he's already married and had to tell them through clenched teeth  :)

If i was you i'd stick to speaking English out there.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 03:30:47 PM by Chelseaboy »
Just saying it like it is.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #141 on: March 27, 2022, 03:41:35 PM »

Some Russian words can be a bit of a tongue twister especially if the words after are similar sounding. For me though I don't think I take too badly to it, it's kind of not rushing forward too fast with a word so as to not get in all the syllables. I think Russian may suit me more as a language than French in terms of is construction as I feel I can get with it. That said I think recalling it all will be the harder part for me. I doubt I will get it of perfect in terms of knowing/remembering the ins & outs of it all.

Funny thing is when I was very young I used to naturally roll my 'R's'. I saw a speech therapist to get me out of the habit, a habit that is now handy for learning Russian lol. I think she asked at the time if there was anyone Russian in my family, not as far as I know off.

German isn't s bad language to learn either. I found easier than French. I reckon if I had kept up with German past leaving high school I could have gotten pretty good at it. I would say German is most closest to English in its words and sounds, their apparently pretty close I believe but then we had the Saxons cone over to Britain who were essentially German so probably influence from there.

Thing I find with both French and German is that there is little call for it. Fine to know a few words when over there in holiday but unless needing it for a specific connection, etc it has pretty limited scope. Learning Russian at School would have been far more useful to me but too few Schools teach it. My thoughts would be that a general GCSE European Foreign Languages course would be best option to run. Basically the student would learn a little bit of French, German, Spanish & Russian to a very basic level in each just to kick them off in the language. Polish & Italian might also be an option within it. That way it's not saying to the kids, 'hey you can only learn French, German or Spanish but no idea on whether it will be of much use to you in the future, that's a real pig in a poke'. I think learning several languages to a very basic level would be a lot more versatile to students than trying to learn one or two to a basic or intermediate level in my opinion.

Online krimster2

« Reply #142 on: March 27, 2022, 03:50:30 PM »
the stereotype "fun-loving" Brit, as exemplified by "James Laurie"  has ALWAYS been VERY popular in Russia and Ukraine
if you're just an "average lookin" bloke, you'll get approached by the "devs", just because of how different,  "Exotic" Anglo-Saxons appear compared to the local "Men In Black"
chicks dig that!!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 03:52:46 PM by krimster2 »

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #143 on: March 27, 2022, 05:45:16 PM »
весна идёт would be used if it's not quite spring - there is still snow, it's cold, but the geese are flying, and there are signs of spring.

vesna preshla means spring definitely has arrived.

Nastupyla vesna - you wake up, there's no snow, when there was the day before.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Online krimster2

« Reply #144 on: March 27, 2022, 07:17:07 PM »
Apokalipsis Vesna

« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 07:24:31 PM by krimster2 »

Offline Steven1971

« Reply #145 on: March 28, 2022, 04:51:50 AM »
весна идёт would be used if it's not quite spring - there is still snow, it's cold, but the geese are flying, and there are signs of spring.

vesna preshla means spring definitely has arrived.

Nastupyla vesna - you wake up, there's no snow, when there was the day before.

Thank you. Genuinely interesting.

Offline Steven1971

« Reply #146 on: March 28, 2022, 05:03:38 AM »
Trench - Apparently Norwegian is quite easy to learn for English speakers.

You can see the German influence in English with phrases such as Guten Morgen, Ich kann nicht or Kommen sie mit mir, but against that you have the case system, subordinate clauses and compound words.

English also has a Norman French influence which you can see in a lot of similar words, even if you get the odd false friend. Le train, le centre, le cinéma, le marché etc. The French word for Great Britain literally means Greater Brittany (Grande Bretagne).

I was discussing languages with a friend who is a German translator by profession who studied French and Italian to A level standard. He agreed with my thought that learning languages is like a jigsaw puzzle. After a certain point you know more easily where each piece goes.

Offline Grumpy

• Spouse's Country: Moldova
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #147 on: March 29, 2022, 09:54:36 AM »
 Forget swimming pools, when the spring rains come, the bomb craters will fill and swimming holes will be plentiful.

You may or may not find something useful on these links:

http://languagetsar.com/differences-between-russian-belarusian-and-ukrainian-languages/

http://languagetsar.com/is-russian-hard-to-learn/
Good women are not cheap
Cheap women are not good
(but they can be a lot of fun)

Offline Steven1971

« Reply #148 on: March 29, 2022, 05:06:33 PM »
Thank you. Much appreciated.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #149 on: April 07, 2022, 02:31:39 PM »
A news article about Ukrainians seeking refuge in the UK:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/brits-waiting-host-ukrainian-refugees-26661010

I've seen a few similar articles where the woman and children are accompanied by a man, often the father, here apparently a boyfriend at least that is what he is claiming to be.

Just this weekend I caught sight of what I was pretty sure was a Ukrainian couple (they were speaking Russian) and their child in a DIY store in the UK. He was wearing a camouflage jacket, not army issue more fashion style with a yellow section at the top back my guess to signify support for Ukraine, though not willing to fight for Ukraine lol.

While I would understand those not wishing to fight as their own personal choice I do wonder since it's the wish of the Ukrainian state that all men 18-60 remain to fight whether we should respect that and refuse them visas.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541012
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1892
Total: 1903

+-Recent Posts

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Today at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM