It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Travel help Ukraine  (Read 4299 times)

Offline Sailor291

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Travel help Ukraine
« on: June 04, 2023, 11:53:08 AM »

Due to an emergency situation in Western Ukraine, it may be necessary for my wife and I to travel to Chernivtsi Ukraine.  Does anybody have any information about transportation from the Romanian or Polish border crossings to Chernivtsi?  We can fly to  either Bucharest or Warsaw from the U.S. no problem, its how do we get from the border to Chernivtsi.  Just don't want to get robbed on the way. 

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
Re: Travel help Ukraine
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2023, 12:18:09 PM »
Establishing train travel from Romania was important to Ukraine.  That said, I don't know if it has happened yet.  I do know that late last year, there were trial runs.

There is train travel from Poland, and within Ukraine, trains are running.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline JohnDearGreen

• It's 5 o'clock somewhere...
  • Trips: 4 - 10

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2023, 04:19:07 PM »
Due to an emergency situation in Western Ukraine, it may be necessary for my wife and I to travel to Chernivtsi Ukraine.  Does anybody have any information about transportation from the Romanian or Polish border crossings to Chernivtsi?  We can fly to  either Bucharest or Warsaw from the U.S. no problem, its how do we get from the border to Chernivtsi.  Just don't want to get robbed on the way. 

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I went a few years ago before the virus & war, I first flew into Krakow in Poland then (after tourism in Krakow) took the train from Krakow to Przemyśl. Then you change at Przemyśl from Polish rail train across platform to Ukraine rail train and onto Lviv. Lviv is of course a big train station and so getting a train to Chernivtsi should be easy and Chernivtsi is of course not far away from Lviv.

Main thing is to leave a good bit of time between the connection train at Przemyśl. The train I got from Krakow arrived late, well over half an hour late & probably more. So the times you see on the time table don't necessarily translate to on the ground. They was quite a bit of chaos at Przemyśl train station as a result. So you're better off leaving well over an hour if you're pre-booking your tickets with Ukraine rail for the journey from Przemyśl to Lviv & onwards.

As your wife is I assume Ukrainian then that will be handy for the many requests for searches & passport demands on the train on the Ukrainian train to Lviv. Lviv was great for tourism also but odds are the virus & war has probably screwed that up a bit though it had kind of gone a bit tourist trap like there. Hope that helps.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Online krimster2

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2023, 05:14:34 PM »
Mr Logic makes an inquiry

why do YOU need to be there?
what kind of problem can you fix ONLY by being there, as opposed to the far simpler method of sending money to solve it?

easy for them to leave Chernivisi and go to Romania entirely on their own, it's a simple drive, just negotiate with taxi drivers, it's an under 2 hr car ride to the border
wire them money for travel $200 should cover a one way ride and also easy to make ad-hoc arrangements on the Romanian side to return as well

« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 05:51:39 PM by krimster2 »

Offline Sailor291

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2023, 08:17:44 AM »
Just to make it clear, I have travelled extensively in Ukraine, all prior to the war so pretty much all of the prior travel experiences and or knowledge is out right now.  We can’t fly into Ukraine right now otherwise I would not be asking for advice.  What I am looking for is any “recent” info about how to get from the Romanian or Polish border to Chernivtsi.  Prior bus and or train schedules are no longer valid.  We don’t mind a taxi (using the term very loosely), however since we are not there we can’t by any means gauge the safety factor.  So anybody with recent experience and or knowledge is what I need.  As to why, my wife’s brother passed away a few days ago and my MIL is elderly and does not travel well.  We need to make sure she is taken care of, she now has nobody in Ukraine.  She doesn’t have internet and wouldn’t know how to use it is she did. 
I am trying from my end to find some way to get her to our home in Texas, but it is proving almost impossible.  Biden has put so many restrictions on any refugee status that it is a joke.  Don’t get me started on the people coming accross the Southern border.  Hypocrisy at its best. 
I hope this helps clarify my delemea. 

Online krimster2

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2023, 08:48:28 AM »
you are making a BIG mistake bringing her to Texas
fish don't like leaving the water
and old ukrainian women (starushkie) don't like leaving what they're familiar with
they will become unhappy after about 2 weeks
how do I know?
my MIL came over TWICE when my wife gave birth and couldn't wait to return to crimea
old Ukrainian people can't adapt to livin in Amurika, and feel isolated and bored...and long for "home'

be smart, don't let yur ole lady push you into an action you'll later regret
find some way to help your MIL with $$$$
$$$ CAN buy happiness for an old woman in Ukraine (because their lives are so miserable that even a little means a lot)
she can hire someone to help her with housekeeping for example
this is a MUCH better solution to the problem than bringin her to Tex-as
where NOW YOU have a problem instead of her!
if you are dealin with Ukrainians, you alwayz gotta be 'smart' in how ya handle things dawg, otherwise you end up with these kinda 'problems'

Biden's fault?
Biden's protectin our border
I thought that's what you rednecks all wanted?
you want all them transexual mexican revolutionaries to cross the border and perform drag shows for miners?
what if it makes the miners gay, and then they don't wanna dig up minerals any more and instead become hair dressers and interior decorators
what will happen to our economy?

but noooo, you don't think about that, now do ya?
too worried about making your wife happy cuz she controls your pooty-tang supply!
you'd better learn to think ahead of her or get used to the collar on your neck dawg
cuz everytime yur wife has a problem, she gonna yank on that collar
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 10:22:11 AM by krimster2 »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2023, 11:09:18 AM »
Best of luck with your efforts. While krim shared his experience with relocating an in-law to the US, mine was quite different. My MIL had little difficulty adjusting and would have been happy to remain in the US for the long term. We tried to make it easier by subscribing to satellite TV that played movies and familiar TV programs she could understand, but outside of that, we just treated her as a member of the family and she thrived. Each of us knows our family (and extended family) members best, so you are the best judge of how well she will adapt.

Offline ML

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2023, 04:58:58 PM »
Yes, the ability and desire to adapt to a different country varies tremendously from person to person.

In my Ukrainian wife's case:  Her parents say the only way someone could take them to another country would be if they were dead !!

For four Ukrainian families here in our town.

1) Both fathers were deceased so never came to USA.  The mother of husband liked it here, but she passed away last year or so.  The mother of the wife wishes she could go back to Ukraine, but doesn't seem to hate it here.

2) Wife's father never came (deceased before) and mother lives in Canada. Husband's parents living with them.  The mother would like to return to Ukraine, but the father seems quite happy to live here forever.

3) Husband is from France and his parents live there.  Wife's parents living with them.  Father wants to go back to Ukraine, but mother seems to love living here.

4) All 4 parents still living in western Ukraine.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline ML

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2023, 05:06:43 PM »
I am trying from my end to find some way to get her to our home in Texas, but it is proving almost impossible.  Biden has put so many restrictions on any refugee status that it is a joke. 

Two points:

1) Yes, someone has to go to Ukraine to help the mother cope and arrange burial of son, etc.

2) If your wife has USA citizenship, she can bring her mother here immediately and get an expedited green card for her.

However, there is a monetary advantage to the refugee route in that those in that category can get some assistance (from USA taxpayers) with health care . . .  so I have heard.

Otherwise you, the SIL, will have to fork out $500-600 or more a month for a health insurance policy for her.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline ML

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2023, 05:13:09 PM »
We don’t mind a taxi (using the term very loosely), however since we are not there we can’t by any means gauge the safety factor.  So anybody with recent experience and or knowledge is what I need.

There was a member here who was living in Lviv.  He might be willing to come to border and transport you.

However, I can't remember his name and don't remember seeing him here for quite some time.

Perhaps others remember his handle.

Online krimster2

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2023, 05:47:59 PM »
sure, if you don't wanna follow my advice and insist on going yourself

have them get an ETA for Mexico
http://www.ivisa.com/mexico/blog/mexico-visa-for-the-citizens-of-ukraine

Chernivitsi to kyiv - kyiv to mexico city - mexico City to El Paso Texas - apply for usa visa at border entry

you can meet them in kyiv or mexico city

but seriously, a bad, bad move on your part to do this as opposed to throwing dollars at the problem in Ukraine instead
you're gonna end up throwing WAY more dollars goin there in person and fetchin her and takin care of her, etc...
the further away your wife's relatives are from you the better!!!!
don't you understand this?

i'm speculating that you are EXCESSIVELY PW'ed by your wife
and if you don't do EXACTLY what she wants
you end up feelin like you're in between a rock and a hard place
a very, very hard place...

« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 05:55:55 PM by krimster2 »

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2023, 12:28:15 AM »
Some fantastic exchange rates at the moment on the USD & GBP to the UAH:

1 USD to 36.85 Ukrainian hryvnia

1 GBP to 45.87 Ukrainian hryvnia

http://www.google.com/search?q=usd+to+uah

So I very much agree with Krim on this, with such great exchange rates your money is going to go a lot further keeping her in Ukraine and paying for all the assistance she needs there. It will no doubt cost a fortune in the States but cost be had at a fraction of the price in Ukraine so a no brainer. Unless she doesn't do very well by herself but then she'll always have the care worker to trouble with her woes. Always great to hear a cheapskate move Krim, pure genius ;D
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Grumpy

• Spouse's Country: Moldova
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2023, 09:55:27 AM »
 Sorry to hear of your family's loss. Best of luck on your trip. Please let us know how it goes.
Good women are not cheap
Cheap women are not good
(but they can be a lot of fun)

Offline Daveman

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2023, 12:39:07 PM »
Two points:

1) Yes, someone has to go to Ukraine to help the mother cope and arrange burial of son, etc.

2) If your wife has USA citizenship, she can bring her mother here immediately and get an expedited green card for her.

However, there is a monetary advantage to the refugee route in that those in that category can get some assistance (from USA taxpayers) with health care . . .  so I have heard.

Otherwise you, the SIL, will have to fork out $500-600 or more a month for a health insurance policy for her.

That's definitely fact as of the timestamp on this post. How long that will remain so is anyone's guess.  The refugee claim/status is the key. A visa lottery winner, even if an actual refugee, does not qualify unless one can win the lottery and then declare refugee status upon entry? I have no idea if that's a possibility. I do know that entering on a visa from Ukraine does not qualify for assistance.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 12:48:44 PM by Daveman »
The duty of a true patriot is to protect his country from its government. -- Thomas Paine

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541017
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2385
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 2224
Total: 2235

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:57:04 PM

Re: Plumber earnings by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 09:37:55 PM

Plumber earnings by ML
Yesterday at 07:49:26 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 01:09:03 PM