It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Finding a Russian woman for rural living  (Read 24070 times)

PARADOJAS

Finding a Russian woman for rural living
« on: February 01, 2011, 10:25:59 AM »
I also posted this message over at "Odds and Ends."

A bit of background first: I was a member here about a decade ago. I've spent five weeks in St. Petersburg (1999) and a month in Donetsk, Ukraine. In Donetsk, I lived with a former girlfriend and got as far with the immigration process as the final interview in Warsaw before things imploded. That was in 2001.

Now in 2011 after another decade of dating American women, I am, to put it bluntly, fed up. (I'm sure the women I've dated would say the same about me.) I have a fairly simple lifestyle (by choice), tending toward living off-grid, growing organic food and creating as much as my own energy while retaining a reasonable amount of comfort. I'd like to find a site with Russian women --in the 40-50 age group--who might be into a similar lifestyle. I have enough assets to support a woman, but not enough to support more than one child. Any suggestions?

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Finding a Russian woman for rural living
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 11:45:31 AM »
Go to Singles.ru

Pull up the English version.

Pay around $12 to get premium membership for a month.  This allows for detailed search options.

Tens of thousands of FSU women there. 
Look for those who do not live in the  major cities.

Best of luck to you.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

PARADOJAS

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 11:54:10 AM »
Thanks for the contact to singles.ru. I'll check it out.

Offline Nat

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 12:16:57 PM »
I also posted this message over at "Odds and Ends."

A bit of background first: I was a member here about a decade ago. I've spent five weeks in St. Petersburg (1999) and a month in Donetsk, Ukraine. In Donetsk, I lived with a former girlfriend and got as far with the immigration process as the final interview in Warsaw before things imploded. That was in 2001.

Now in 2011 after another decade of dating American women, I am, to put it bluntly, fed up. (I'm sure the women I've dated would say the same about me.) I have a fairly simple lifestyle (by choice), tending toward living off-grid, growing organic food and creating as much as my own energy while retaining a reasonable amount of comfort. I'd like to find a site with Russian women --in the 40-50 age group--who might be into a similar lifestyle. I have enough assets to support a woman, but not enough to support more than one child. Any suggestions?

It seems to me it'll be as difficult to find such a Russian woman, as it is to find such an American one, or even more difficult. The matter is that you obviously need a woman who likes and leads "green" lifestyle. It seems to me there are more such people in the USA in the first place, because it's a trendy way of living there now. Those, who prefer to lead such a lifestyle here, in FSU, usually don't have the Internet and a computer in general, because our villages differ a lot from American ones ;)
It seems to me that there must be women in the USA, who are also concerned about the environment and who'll be happy to share such a lifestyle with you. The odds of you finding such a woman in Russia using the Internet seem to be quite low, though.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 12:25:56 PM by Nat »

Offline Muzh

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 12:29:52 PM »
That's an excellent poit, Nat.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

PARADOJAS

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 12:33:17 PM »
Nat,

I totally agree with you--it's a shot in the dark. I was semi-engaged to a Russian woman for a while, and I guess the memories still linger. Most of the women I've dated recently are either too neurotic or have a very 9-5 structured lifestyle. Also, there is a preponderence of lesbians (not that there is anything wrong with that) that not only limits the amount of available women, but also is competition.  What's a guy to do?

PARADOJAS

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 12:35:16 PM »
Oh, I should add I live in rural northern New England.

Offline GoodOlBoy

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 12:59:38 PM »
Hello PARADOJAS.
I really wish you the best of luck.
You are going to need it!

Living in North Miami Beach (Sunny Isles Beach) FL with literally thousands of FSUW all around me, I can state with complete confidence that most if not all of them have one thing in common (old or young)....they absolutely DEPLORE "villages".

A lot of them left (escaped) from villages in the FSU and have stated to both my wife and I on several different occasions that they would NEVER consider returning to that lifestyle again.

As others have already mentioned upthread, this is going to take a lot of time, money (many trips to the FSU) and patience on your part to find the "right" one.

GOB

PS...Just my suggestions: Learn some Russian, because you are looking for an uneducated village woman (little or no English skills). Probably with little access to the internet or modern technology (cell phone). Maybe do some searching in the "stans"?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 03:17:44 PM by GoodOlBoy »
“For God and country, Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo......... Geronimo E.K.I.A.”

Offline dbneeley

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 02:03:59 PM »
The largest barrier is likely the lack of understanding of the differences in a rural lifestyle in the U.S. compared to their frame of reference in the FSU. That is something that crops up quite often, even with people who simply live in smaller cities let alone in completely rural environments.

Perhaps you could describe it as living permanently in your dacha!    :)

Then there is the possibility of someone from another culture feeling completely isolated in such an environment. The transition is often very difficult even in the city life that they are more used to. Moving from a large FSU city to a rural, offgrid homestead would be that much more of a shock.

On the other hand, I'm not so sure that trying to find a lady with little education or sophistication would be particularly simple either, for a whole host of other reasons.

However, there are people in the FSU who are somewhat more attuned to issues you may have in common. I suspect, for example, that you may find a higher acceptance rate for your chosen lifestyle among the vegetarians here in the FSU, to give but one example. Consciousness of conservation of resources is growing slowly here--so finding someone who shares an appreciation for your values and choices may be difficult but may not be completely impossible.

As I began, though, the single biggest barrier may be simply to get someone used to the idea that living in a rural environment does not necessarily mean even remotely the same thing as it might in the FSU.

David

Offline Blues Fairy

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 02:06:27 PM »
A lot of them left (escaped) from villages in the FSU and have stated to both my wife and I on several different occasions that they would NEVER consider returning to that lifestyle again.

Considering this, it probably makes more sense for the OP to look in big polluted cities like Moscow or St. Pete, for a woman who is fed up with her 9-5(6,7,8) job, daily commute in the crowded subway, 24/7 traffic jams, long sunless winters, and lack of escapes to nature.  I bet there are quite a few - career ladies by necessity, gardeners at heart. :)    

Offline Chicagoguy

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 02:18:14 PM »
My wife and I met a Russian woman last Summer in Northern Wisconsin who lives in what I would call a semi remote area. Can't see the neighbors houses and nearby town is about 1000 and 4 mi. away.

But is has tourists and some small sophistication. Her husband is an OTR driver and gone for a week at a time leaving her and her 8 year old son alone.

But they lack for nothing in creature comforts and she was going to get a driving license this past Fall. She will have her own car. It helps that she speaks good English.
 When we were leaving her house my Russia wife remarked " I would never do that"!
This woman was from a city so your search might turn up something.

Offline GoodOlBoy

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 02:45:47 PM »
Considering this, it probably makes more sense for the OP to look in big polluted cities like Moscow or St. Pete, for a woman who is fed up with her 9-5(6,7,8) job, daily commute in the crowded subway, 24/7 traffic jams, long sunless winters, and lack of escapes to nature.  I bet there are quite a few - career ladies by necessity, gardeners at heart. :)   

Also consider this:
The same woman that BF describes above (40's-50's, highly educated, sophisticated, Moscovite) is so miserable and ready to escape (because she has no other options available), she and her kid decide to "mule" you over to the GoodOl' USA (the land of milk and honey).

GOB
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 03:16:04 PM by GoodOlBoy »

Offline Blues Fairy

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 03:18:15 PM »
The same woman that BF describes above (40's-50's, highly educated, sophisticated, Moscovite) is so miserable and ready to escape (because she has no other options available), she and her kid decide to "mule" you over to the GoodOl' USA (the land of milk and honey).

Are you suggesting there are no women who would sincerely trade their hectic big-city lifestyle for quiet New England countryside?

Offline tim 360

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 03:25:50 PM »
There is "rural" and there is "remote".  Like some parts of VT's Northeast Kingdom would be remote. When you say "off the grid". Just what do you mean?  I know a girl who says she lives off the grid and she's got electric from the power company, cable tv, DSL, land and cell phones.  She says it OTG because she has a well and septic?

A friend from Kiev (24) loves snowboarding and outdoor sports and likes living in/near ski resorts.  Currently she and hubby relocated to Breckenridge, CO.  She still likes cities but prefers to visit them, not live in them.
"Never argue with a fool,  onlookers may not be able to tell the difference".  Mark Twain

Offline GoodOlBoy

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 03:26:16 PM »
Are you suggesting there are no women who would sincerely trade their hectic big-city lifestyle for quiet New England countryside?

BF...I am not arguing with you.

I can only say that out of the hundreds (no joking) of FSUW that my wife and I have come in contact with during the last 3 years of living in this Russian community (SIB), none would ever contemplate living the OP's lifestyle and I mean NONE.

Is there a potential partner for the OP in the FSU?
Yes...of course there is.
But he has his work cut out for him.
IMHO...He is better off finding an AW.

GOB

Offline Blues Fairy

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 03:32:14 PM »
I can only say that out of the hundreds (no joking) of FSUW that my wife and I have come in contact with during the last 3 years of living in this Russian community (SIB), none would ever contemplate living the OP's lifestyle and I mean NONE.

That's why I'm saying there's better chance of finding such among those who want to escape from big cities, not among those who want to escape, or have escaped, from a "village". 

Offline viking

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 04:06:35 PM »
I thought I had posted this already..guess not. I have a friend who lives in Vermont. Near the Canadian border. A small town and his place is kind of isolated on a lake. And his RW wife simply loves it.
Tom Hanks in Castaway: You never know what the tide may bring in.
Viking: But you still need to walk along the beach to find it.

Offline Misha

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 04:21:32 PM »
I thought I had posted this already..guess not. I have a friend who lives in Vermont. Near the Canadian border. A small town and his place is kind of isolated on a lake. And his RW wife simply loves it.

Remote is relative as well. This small town in Vermont would only be 100-or-so miles away from Montreal, a city with over 3.5 million people  :popcorn:

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011, 04:28:07 PM »
The largest barrier is likely the lack of understanding of the differences in a rural lifestyle in the U.S. compared to their frame of reference in the FSU. That is something that crops up quite often, even with people who simply live in smaller cities let alone in completely rural environments.

yup. My wife would have died a slow agonizing death at the prospect of living in a dreadful, gawd-forsaken small California village called Santa Barbara. I didn't just described the 'village' to her, I actually drove her there and spent a weekend just so she can see it for herself...of course, almost 6 years later, she can only wish these days.  :P

The one thing I personally think that's on your side is the age set you're looking at. However, still be cautioned because just the idea of USA to many (not all) suggests metropolis.

In all, I tend to agree with Nat's perspective. Also ask Doll, a RW member here. IIRC, she is a convert to rural living...maybe she can sway a suggestion or two...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 04:30:35 PM by GQBlues »
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2011, 04:34:24 PM »
btw - let her know you're plot of land is highly conducive to sunflower palnts and you harvest plentiful seeds every year  ;)

That may help....  :P
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline I/O

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2011, 05:52:38 PM »
Plenty of single 'tato growin' Buba's 'round the dachas last I saw.  :brightidea:

Offline ECOCKS

• To those who deserve it, good luck.
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2011, 05:58:14 PM »
I think you'll find one if you look hard enough. Write an honest profile, post it someplace with plenty of gals (I recommend EM) and then spend the time screening them to be sure they understand what you wrote and are in agreement with your future plans. You need patience and be determined to listen hard for sincerity in what the women tell you before hopping on planes to race over with a suitcase of gifts and a ring in your pocket.

Best of Luck!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 06:19:07 PM by ECOCKS »
Pick and choose carefully among the advice offered and consider the source carefully. PM, Skype or email if you care to chat or discuss

Offline Jooky

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2011, 06:39:10 PM »
I agree with Blues Fairy. I know a few Moscow women that are exactly as she described. Some have already escaped the big city for more relaxed country life. (They're just a bit too young for ya, sorry).

The bonus is that a lady from Moscow, 40-50, with a decent career, likely owns some property and would have no problem coming over on a tourist visa. Makes me think of my friend's mama and her friend who came out to the US this past summer.

Sure, it's a longshot, but you only need to find one. I also recommend singles.ru. Lots of ladies there.

Offline Doll

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2011, 06:50:20 PM »
a very 9-5 structured lifestyle
What is it?

Offline Doll

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2011, 06:57:58 PM »
Also ask Doll
I am here  :D
One thing is to live "in the woods" like we do ( our house IS in the woods, 10 acres, can see the neighbors'  houses in winter only where there are no leaves)))) but my husband does not make money farming (neither do I), another thing is to really farm.
Yes, I was raised in a big city, lived there for 43 years, moved to this area and love it. Not sure if I want to do farming. :D

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541449
Total Topics: 20864
Most Online Today: 1575
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 8
Guests: 1380
Total: 1388

+-Recent Posts

Trippin in St Pete by 2tallbill
Today at 06:20:16 AM

Re: Hard work -- How can I explain this to my Russian wife? by Trenchcoat
Today at 01:03:56 AM

Re: Trippin in St Pete by Trenchcoat
Today at 01:01:18 AM

Hard work -- How can I explain this to my Russian wife? by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 01:53:18 PM

Russian/Ukranian women - views on sex before marriage? by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 10:57:05 AM

Russian/Ukranian women - views on sex before marriage? by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 10:55:23 AM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 10:11:31 AM

Re: international travel by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:44:27 AM

international travel by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 09:21:35 AM

Re: Interesting Articles by JohnDearGreen
Yesterday at 08:06:48 AM