It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: What Jacket?  (Read 13874 times)

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
What Jacket?
« on: January 30, 2019, 08:35:16 PM »
Ok, so I've got a bit of a dilemma on about what jacket to buy. Do I buy back good suit jacket or a good leather jacket?

I have jackets at home but they vary in style, suitability for occasion, etc.

I essentially want to buy a jacket that helps to give a good impression of me visually. I want to shoot a new photo for my main profile photo to get some attention for my next run at the FSU dating game to commence shortly :)

A suit jacket is often seen as a safe bet, I would need to get a new one of decent good quality I think as most if the ones I have are cheap and I don't think help to lift me visually. However, I find suit jackets kind of limited when out and about particularly with more casual situations. They can can kind of feel out of place in some situations and overdone. For me I think the danger might be I cone of as a bit stiff & starchy, not with it or similar.

So then there is the possibility of a good leather jacket as an alternative. I have a couple already but neither are lightweight nor that current with trend. So I would have to get an modern up to date one that's lightweight and would suit me. For me this option has appeal as it avoids my perception of feeling a bit ill at ease with suit jackets in some occasions. It also is a look I can probably keep up more day to day. I think it generally goes with more stuff and be more appealing to a wider audience of  FSW.

Of course nothing to stop me from getting both options. I'm just thinking of a default option for day to day stuff with a FSW and meeting one. Having written this I think I will have to try on both options and see what options look best on me. I'm slightly swaying towards leather jackets atm as I've tried suit jackets and haven't really found any big bonus to wearing them with FSW. Perhaps I need a better quality one though, thoughts?
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Maxx2

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
Re: What Jacket?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 04:16:34 AM »

You can't go wrong with a B3 bomber jacket, a green plaid shirt and matching trousers with white patent leather penny loafers. Got to set your own style.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 05:16:36 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 07:27:12 AM »

You can't go wrong with a B3 bomber jacket, a green plaid shirt and matching trousers with white patent leather penny loafers. Got to set your own style.

I've already got a leather flying jacket if that is what you mean. I luke the look of it and it's great in the winter so long as it's not raining. That's the thing I guess with leather jackets they can be versatile in clothing combinations but not versatile in weather. Also there are do many different styles of leather jacket and they can go in & out of fashion quickly. I have a biker style jacket as well but it's probably out of fashion maybe.

Like I say I like the lighter style leather jackets but think I'll have to really try stuff on that looks right on me I guess is probably best.

I've heard that plaid shirts are to be avoided at all costs in the FSU as only foreigners tend to wear them and they are not regarded well.

So I'm also thinking a bit back towards suit jacket. Again I think I'm going to have to try on different styles and see what works. They probably don't date like other fashion so much but need to feel right. I know some people on here have stated sports style suit jackets and I could try one on, on some people they look good but I'm not so sure if it's for me.

The point you make about you're own style is important I think Maxx as I think some styles suit some people more than others. That said looking real out of it is not a great look either. At the moment there seems less of a dominant fashion item which is kind if nice but then it's what to choose lol. So something that looks good on me and remains relatively timeless may be best perhaps.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Online krimster2

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 09:03:19 AM »
you should get a "Trench Coat"    ;)

you can get a "blend in" coat for Ukraine, just make sure it's black, and you'll be like every other guy
or go for a different color/style, which is what I'd recommend, don't be overly flamboyant (that's the "mafia" look!)
for example, a brown Remy Leather Suede Moto jacket or other brown leather suede jacket
only a "real American" can pull off wearing a Ralph Lauren Fringe Deerskin Jacket and cowboy hat in Ukraine and gold framed aviator glasses worked wonders
in Kyiv, the first reaction, is someone think's your're a "poser" "dressing up" like an American
then they insult you, ehh Pridorik, shto te delash?"
then you reply, "well hey pilgrim, what's up?
then in shock, they realize you REALLY ARE a Marlboro Man!!!!
women would stand before me with their tongues sticking out....  I didn't know what it meant at first...

« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 09:30:29 AM by krimster2 »

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 09:14:47 AM »

women would stand before me with their tongues sticking out....  I didn't know what it meant at first...

I might mean they were about to hurl.  :D

Online krimster2

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 09:27:51 AM »
"I might mean they were about to hurl.  "

close... inexperienced ones will often display a"gag reflex" the first time, but that's...that's later not at the "meet and greet" stage

I think it was in May of ‘97, but I may be wrong about the date, I walked into the McDonald’s (I think they had just opened) in Kyiv  with a Marlboro man jacket, Cowboy hat (with large shocks of dark blond hair sticking out in front and on the sides  with a rattlesnake band on the hat that I made myself from a rattlesnake I dispatched with a rock in the desert of northern Nevada (Ely, NV)  + 14k gold WWII aviator glasses + Morgan silver dollar belt buckle and my "kakashka kicker brown leather boots and tight fitting genuine Levi's jeans...
if you went to some hick town in Nevada, Arizona, Colorado, etc, and went into a redneck/cowboy bar, this would be how every guy there would be dressed
it also doesn't hurt the image, the fact that I'm 6'3"

it produced a very weird reaction
literally every woman in the place stopped what she was doing and turned to look at me
EVERY...SINGLE...ONE...
and the volume level of the place noticeably dropped...

after that, I never wore that outfit again in Kyiv it got TOO much attention!!!!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 12:10:32 PM by krimster2 »

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 11:20:41 AM »
Ok, so I've got a bit of a dilemma on about what jacket to buy. Do I buy back good suit jacket or a good leather jacket?

I essentially want to buy a jacket that helps to give a good impression of me visually. I want to shoot a new photo for my main profile photo to get some attention for my next run at the FSU dating game to commence shortly <snip>

« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 11:49:25 AM by GQBlues »
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 12:28:04 PM »

I essentially want to buy a jacket that helps to give a good impression of me visually. I want to shoot a new photo for my main profile photo to get some attention for my next run at the FSU dating game to commence shortly :)

When it rains around here or is cold I wear a US Army 1951 field pile hat from the Korean War. It is 68 years old, honest.

I had a Georgian friend a week ago who was stopped on the street by an elderly Georgian woman. She said, "You're the guy who I have see with that American guy who wears a funny hat." What does an old Georgian woman know about what looks cool? So rather than letting that discourage me from wearing it I bought a matching olive green leather jacket. 

And I got one of these to put on the upper left shoulder sleeve

And a pair of these to put somewhere else. They are from WW2. Maybe should get a Lieutenant's bar for my hat?

Moby says someday he and SC will visit me. I will need to look fashionable for my honored guests.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 12:41:33 PM by Maxx2 »

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 12:38:39 PM »
Trench think English think James bond.  It's not what you wear it's how you carry yourself.  Also leather jackets are sweaty to wear on the plane and take up too much room and weight in your luggage .  My opinion .  Not statistically proven.  Msmob will have something to say I'm sure.  Personally I like dark suits .  Always better to over dress than under dress

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 12:45:28 PM »
You can't go wrong with a B3 bomber jacket, a green plaid shirt and matching trousers
with white patent leather penny loafers. Got to set your own style.

You don't give the girls a chance do you? You didn't mention anything
about a hat and one thing FSU girls will insist on when you go outside
in the cold is that you wear a hat.

Now I will admit that the feather isn't for everybody, but if you can pull
it off then feel free.

The other hat that is very popular is the fur hat, but those are expensive, so
cheap skates can go to Ali express and buy this hat for 37.43 rather than

Ali Express Hat $37.43

Silver Fox real fur hat 599.99

« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 12:52:10 PM by 2tallbill »
FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 12:48:18 PM »
Trench think English think James bond.  It's not what you wear it's how you carry yourself.  Also leather jackets are sweaty to wear on the plane and take up too much room and weight in your luggage .  My opinion .  Not statistically proven.  Msmob will have something to say I'm sure.  Personally I like dark suits .  Always better to over dress than under dress

Some styles are for the young, and others for mature men. Like with women who wear clothes that should only be for women in their teens or early 20s

Online krimster2

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2019, 12:56:46 PM »
because I have light color hair, I have to wear dark color clothes
my father had dark hair, and in the 1940s wore light color suits in the hot DC suburbs before air conditioning was universal
when he died I inherited his clothes, fortunately we are nearly the same size (minor alterations)
I now have a bunch of lovely suits made in the best haberdashery in Manhattan (probably some relative...)
however, now my hair is just beginning to turn a lovely silver color
probably in a few more years I will end up with platinum hair like my mother and grand parents
then I'm going to dress like this

http://i.imgur.com/NSx6JW5.jpg

but probably skip the hat

remember guys, it's NOT just about clothes, but don't forget to accessorize (or exercise)
this is the best accessory I'VE EVER SEEN for meeting girls in Ukraine other than pictures of Franklin

what ya do is ya sit there and wait for a pretty girl to walk by, then "Igor" jumps after her and you pull him back and say "mne tak zhal"
when she laughs, you say, "tvoya ulybka kak solntse"
"your smile is like the sun"
good ole Igor, he was the best damned dog I ever had, never crapped on the floor once!!!!

« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 01:32:39 PM by krimster2 »

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2019, 02:21:19 PM »
you should get a "Trench Coat"    ;)

you can get a "blend in" coat for Ukraine, just make sure it's black, and you'll be like every other guy
or go for a different color/style, which is what I'd recommend, don't be overly flamboyant (that's the "mafia" look!)
for example, a brown Remy Leather Suede Moto jacket or other brown leather suede jacket
only a "real American" can pull off wearing a Ralph Lauren Fringe Deerskin Jacket and cowboy hat in Ukraine and gold framed aviator glasses worked wonders
in Kyiv, the first reaction, is someone think's your're a "poser" "dressing up" like an American

Good one :) I would certainly stand out with a Trench Coat, lol.

The previous year when I was in Kiev with the girl we visited some boutique fashion indoor market on the outskirts. She sorted me out with a whole outfit (I paid). She was it clothes fashion (the buying of it) and had particular tastes both for herself and for the guy. She didn't like black much at all which surprised me. In the UK black is both the default standard as a safe bet to not stand out in a bad way and colour of choice for a sophisticated looking garment.

So I was somewhat surprised when I turned  up in what I thought was safe and decent looking dress suit type of gear in black, etc. She didn't take to it too well at all though, it was kind of a problem as if I was somehow dressed badly. Now it may not have been catwalk stuff but it was a far cry from a scruffy baggy jeans, t-shirt and old cap stuck on top.

Anyway, most of the stuff she chose for me I have come to quite like, generally in the blue & white colour scheme. The jacket she chose (suit jacket style) idk. It's a fairly bright blue, textile look, I guess in some ways quite nice but never really sure if it is quite me. My brother pointed to the bright colour of it, for the UK while it's not real far out its not an everyday colour/look perhaps. I'll try and get around to posting you a photo of it to see what you think Krim.

So yes I could have the stand out look covered already, lol. I guess I could take a few photos with it on somewhere scenic and use for the main photo, start my messaging campaign and see how it goes. I guess I won't be another guy in a black suit at least!

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2019, 02:25:55 PM »
You don't give the girls a chance do you? You didn't mention anything
about a hat and one thing FSU girls will insist on when you go outside
in the cold is that you wear a hat.

Now I will admit that the feather isn't for everybody, but if you can pull
it off then feel free.

The other hat that is very popular is the fur hat, but those are expensive, so
cheap skates can go to Ali express and buy this hat for 37.43 rather than

Ali Express Hat $37.43

Silver Fox real fur hat 599.99

Thanks Bill, the cheap hat would be the way to go, they look little different and I wouldn't like to think about leaving an expensive hat around. That's the problem with going over the top on real expensive gear it becomes a liabilty travelling around with it, one lost suitcase equals a fair amount of money down the drain and expensive replacements buying conceiveably.

Offline LAman

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2019, 05:05:50 PM »

A suit jacket is often seen as a safe bet, I would need to get a new one of decent good quality I think as most if the ones I have are cheap and I don't think help to lift me visually. However, I find suit jackets kind of limited when out and about particularly with more casual situations. They can can kind of feel out of place in some situations and overdone. For me I think the danger might be I cone of as a bit stiff & starchy, not with it or similar.

So then there is the possibility of a good leather jacket as an alternative. I have a couple already but neither are lightweight nor that current with trend. So I would have to get an modern up to date one that's lightweight and would suit me. For me this option has appeal as it avoids my perception of feeling a bit ill at ease with suit jackets in some occasions. It also is a look I can probably keep up more day to day. I think it generally goes with more stuff and be more appealing to a wider audience of  FSW.

Of course nothing to stop me from getting both options. I'm just thinking of a default option for day to day stuff with a FSW and meeting one. Having written this I think I will have to try on both options and see what options look best on me. I'm slightly swaying towards leather jackets atm as I've tried suit jackets and haven't really found any big bonus to wearing them with FSW. Perhaps I need a better quality one though, thoughts?

Ya think putting lipstick on a pig makes it look better??

Dress has to be being yourself and not try to be someone you are not. Being honest to others and yourself is best.
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2019, 10:33:32 PM »

Ya think putting lipstick on a pig makes it look better??

Dress has to be being yourself and not try to be someone you are not. Being honest to others and yourself is best.

I get that but it can also be an excuse to not bother. If I can be a better person whether clothing wise or in other ways why not be open to it. When the girl I was with chose stuff different to what I would usually chose I didn't mind I looked upon it as seeing what another possibility/choice could be. It kind of interested me what someone else would go for with me. While I wouldn't take it real extreme I think if you just stick with what you've grown up with it kind of creates a person that never really is able to attain new heights.

Offline John Gaunt

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2019, 11:38:17 PM »

When it rains around here or is cold I wear a US Army 1951 field pile hat from the Korean War. It is 68 years old, honest.

I had a Georgian friend a week ago who was stopped on the street by an elderly Georgian woman. She said, "You're the guy who I have see with that American guy who wears a funny hat." What does an old Georgian woman know about what looks cool? So rather than letting that discourage me from wearing it I bought a matching olive green leather jacket. 

And I got one of these to put on the upper left shoulder sleeve

And a pair of these to put somewhere else. They are from WW2. Maybe should get a Lieutenant's bar for my hat?

Moby says someday he and SC will visit me. I will need to look fashionable for my honored guests.

You won’t need much in the way of clothing then as your ‘guests’ tend to dress ‘aux naturel’. 😂

Offline rwd123

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2019, 01:18:54 AM »
I always travel with a tailored suit and an Italian leather jacket. The latter is warm enough to act as a winter jacket unless it gets really cold.

Don't be cheap! A tailored suit that fits you perfectally is worth the money, and a genuine leather jacket will last a long time if cared for properly. Spend a thousand quid on both. I did see a nice reversible Armani recently, one side leather the other fur, but was around 3-3,500 quid. Maybe I'll see if it is discounted next time sales come around.

Don't do it for women, do it for yourself. It's nice to wear good clothes. Maybe it's just my experience, but I rarely see guys in suits in FSU airports.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2019, 02:04:31 AM »
You won’t need much in the way of clothing then as your ‘guests’ tend to dress ‘aux naturel’. 😂

Never thought of that....  :-X

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2019, 02:09:13 AM »
I always travel with a tailored suit and an Italian leather jacket.

All joking aside. It is best to dress GQ. Ask GQBlues from here what that means. Maybe he'll give you the names of fashion designers that are not so expensive. I buy most of my clothes from Amazon, cheap stuff. But I am not trying to impress anybody. Someday though...

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2019, 04:57:57 AM »
Must admit I agree with rwd .  Suit and a leather jacket.  Just find a leather jacket hot on the plain.  I normally wear winter hiking trousers for the journey as plenty of pockets plus you never know when you'll be standing in the snow

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2019, 04:58:50 AM »
Plane.   Sorry my phone likes to auto correct.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2019, 09:37:05 AM »
Ok Guys I have taken a pic of the jacket, how do I post up photos on this site?

Offline DCcowboy

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2019, 10:22:31 AM »
is that why my lady friend went googly eyes when I sent her a picture with my Stetson...... Roflmao
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 10:25:05 AM by DCcowboy »

Online krimster2

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2019, 11:33:42 AM »
I call em "cowboy hats" cuz i'm from the east coast
I copied that look from rednecks in rural Nevada, my career forced me to spend two years there, and I had to put up with all these redneck/cowboy idiots
but if you go to Europe, and if you can pull off that look then you're a REAL COWBOY to them, all ya gotta do is say, "howdy m'am"!!!
EUROPEAN GIRLS FREAKIN LOVE IT!!!!!

can't say about whether the reaction was produced by your "mug" or your hat
try greeting her sans head ware and compare the response....

what's really interesting, is once you live over there awhile, you can easily spot a "foreigner" in a crowd of Ukrainians
they visually standout, how you dress can dramatically modify people's perception of you

in Ukraine, people there can easily see that you're a foreigner
some of the people will be women...
some of the women will be curious about you...
some of these women might even have a fantasy about you....

run yourself up the flag pole in Ukraine, in other words make yourself visible in places that have a high concentration of sweet young things...
then look around and see who's saluting (i.e. making eye contact, body language)

this is all I had to do there... easy...

« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 11:37:56 AM by krimster2 »

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541007
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1896
Total: 1907

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM