It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Cooking and eating with your FSUW  (Read 1414 times)

Offline Larry1

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Cooking and eating with your FSUW
« on: April 19, 2014, 10:40:17 AM »
Cooking and eating with your FSUW wife or girlfriend would be incredibly easy if you each enjoyed both FSU food and the food of your country.  This isn't true for all couples though.  I've known some guys who have disliked most FSU dishes and I've also heard that some FSUW haven't been wild about food here in the US.

Several questions occur to me:

How have you managed some compromise that involves a mixture of FSU food and the food of your country?

Who handles the cooking?  Her, you, or both of you?

Have you had much difficulty obtaining all the ingredients for FSU dishes?

Do you have any other observations?

Do you and your FSUW wife or girlfriend have a large difference in your appetite for extremely spicy hot dishes?  In my fairly limited sample of girlfriends I have noticed that their tolerance for very spicy foods was not as high as mine. 

Although this thread was addressed to guys, I would love to hear from any FSUW on this topic as well.

Here is a good cooking blog by a UW in the US named Natasha.  It contains recipes for various Russian and Ukrainian dishes, but also dishes from other parts of the world.

http://natashaskitchen.com

Here are cooking videos by the lovely Natasha:

http://www.youtube.com/user/NatashasKitchenBlog/videos

Edited to add a snippet from an article discussing a study that supports the old husbands' tale that if your wife is angry it sometimes helps to bring her some chocolate:

Reporting in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, an international team of scientists has found that low blood glucose levels correlate to greater amounts of aggression and anger between spouses. Translation: both men and women are happier with their significant other when they're satiated with food.

Glucose, one of the simplest sugars, is the human body's preferred source of energy. The brain particularly craves glucose, and when it doesn't get enough of the stuff, mental processes like decision-making and self-control fall by the wayside. Deficits in the latter spiral into other deleterious effects.

"People have more difficulty controlling their attention, regulating their emotions, and overriding their aggressive impulses," the researchers say...

When you're feeling especially angry towards your spouse for no apparent reason, your blood sugar may be low. So reach for a small glass of orange juice or a snack-sized candy bar, not a frying pan.

http://www.realclearscience.com/journal_club/2014/04/14/for_a_happy_marriage_stay_well_fed_108591.html
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 11:55:19 AM by Larry1 »

Offline Misha

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Cooking and eating with your FSUW
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 12:02:38 PM »
Several questions occur to me:

How have you managed some compromise that involves a mixture of FSU food and the food of your country?

Who handles the cooking?  Her, you, or both of you?

Both of us. As I am writing, I have a nice butternut squash simmering on the stove, my wife's request  ;)

Have you had much difficulty obtaining all the ingredients for FSU dishes?

No, with the exception of kefir, but we make our own. Most Russian dishes are quite basic when it comes to the ingredients required and as such everything is pretty readily available.

Do you have any other observations?

My wife makes Russian dishes, I make all the others. It works well as it provides a lot of variety.

Do you and your FSUW wife or girlfriend have a large difference in your appetite for extremely spicy hot dishes?  In my fairly limited sample of girlfriends I have noticed that their tolerance for very spicy foods was not as high as mine.

My wife's appreciation of spicy foods has increased quite a bit. She won't go for the extremely hot food, but will now eat spicy food. 

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 02:04:37 PM »
We have experienced virtually zero food issues.

I don't cook at all.  Used to make scrambled eggs, but don't even do that now.

Ochka has taken over the kitchen completely and won't even let me wash dishes.

She makes a combination of Ukrainian and American dishes.  Just has to leave out the onions and cabbage . . . except if she wants to make me sick!!

Today, she is spending all the time making various 'Paska' items with respect to Easter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paska_%28bread%29

In addition to the standard bread type of Paska, she makes many smaller items filled with cheese, cherries, etc.

Ochka also makes her own Kefir and white soft cheese which is then used on blini or made into syrnike.

She also can eat virtually anything at any type of restaurant, even the spicy stuff which I cannot eat.  Nothing adversely affects her stomach.  And she can put as much food in her stomach as I can in mine, despite fact I weigh about 50 pounds more than her . . . can't ever quite figure that out.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Gator

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 05:35:44 PM »
My wife and I share cooking but not simultaneously.  :D   There is no fusion cuisine. 

She makes Russian dishes and variants thereof.  She never follows a recipe nor measures, simply tasting as she goes, and no two soups have been the same.   She has never complained about the availability of ingredients. 

In the distant past I enjoyed preparing gourmet dishes.  Now I consider it too much work, so I keep it simple at home when I cook, preferring gourmet when we dine at restaurants. 

At first she abhorred spicy food, yet two trips to Thailand helped to ease her in.  She is now up to a 3 on a scale of 1 to 10, while I am an 8.   I have known a few RW who could get to a 5 or 6. 

Rare beef is a "no no."     A change is coming as her 25-yo daughter orders pink beef.   

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 08:00:23 PM »

Rare beef is a "no no."     A change is coming as her 25-yo daughter orders pink beef.

Ochka now eats medium rare steaks and prime rib.

I told her originally that was the best; so she trusted me and tried it.

But she would never tell her family and friends in Ukraine about this.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540999
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1877
Total: 1888

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM