It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Coronavirus, how are you preparing for it and how it is affecting you so far?  (Read 440393 times)

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Well after dodging the bullets of coronavirus for this long, the family has been struck.  Mother in law caught the virus and is battling it in Colombia. 

Good morning, FT!

We might joust with each other, from time to time, but I am sure we all wish your M-i-L shakes it off and you can be a rock for the Missus'

Offline msmob

So, where's all the MUPPETS who though HCQ was 'great' for treating COVID-19 .. :cluebat: ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/51980731

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), which had authorised the drug for emergency use in March, has now withdrawn it saying clinical trials had shown it was no longer reasonable to believe it would produce an antiviral effect.

Offline Gator

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), which had authorised the drug for emergency use in March, has now withdrawn it saying clinical trials had shown it was no longer reasonable to believe it would produce an antiviral effect.

Thanks for the info.  The prior news had been mixed, and clinical studies in your source have now concluded HCQ has no significant benefits for treating COVID.   FDA has withdrawn its emergency approval.   

It is disheartening that we have yet to find a therapeutic drug for COVID.  We need one to help those who become infected.   However, data from the past couple of months show the CFR (death) is declining.

BTW, scientific opinion says the viruses now being tested could prove "weak," meaning they will not prevent infection, albeit the infection will be less severe.   Let's keep our fingers crossed that an effective virus will be developed as well as effective treatment pharmaceuticals.   

Your family concerns should be alleviated now, and frankly should never have happened. 

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
Volunteering to be exposed to Covid-19
« Reply #3253 on: June 16, 2020, 06:53:25 AM »
Don't know if this has been mentioned here by others, but . . .

Quite shocking to hear that tests may begin wherein subjects volunteer to be injected with Covid 19.

Prior to this injection, they will receive one of the variations of vaccines that are being developed.

(Note: this is different from other on-going experiments where vaccines are given, and subjects just go out into the world where they may or may not be exposed to Covid-19).

Apparently this is first time in history that tests like this are conducted where there is no known cure for the disease.

i.e.  Previously people have agreed to be subjected to malaria and other diseases (after receiving a vaccine), but in those cases, there was a proven treatment to cure the disease for those who caught it.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline msmob

Thanks for the info.  The prior news had been mixed,

Thing is they weren't ..just the std of ONE trial was below par and the usual suspects seized upon it  :cluebat:

Your family concerns should be alleviated now, and frankly should never have happened.

Indeed, and 'Trampu' is also to blame for many who missed out and REALLY see efficacy from such meds ...

Offline BillyB

Re: Volunteering to be exposed to Covid-19
« Reply #3255 on: June 16, 2020, 08:26:56 AM »
Quite shocking to hear that tests may begin wherein subjects volunteer to be injected with Covid 19.

This has to happen before release to the public. Everything is accelerated and I'm sure some animals have already been injected by some of the early vaccine candidates.

The goal is to create a safe and effective vaccine which is incredibly hard to do. Safe is more important than effective. What's the sense of getting rid of the coronavirus if we all end up with neurological disorders 5 years from now?
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline GQBlues

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Not sure why they bother with vaccines.

Hours after Oxford declared HCQ should be dropped as a treatment for COVID, they announced a breakthrough treatment medicine for coronavirus called Dexamethasone. It's still 'on trial' but....

To note: in BBC's article posted, it stated this little nugget:

The Mahidol Oxford Tropical Medicine Research Unit (MORU) is conducting mass clinical trials and has enrolled 40,000 frontline workers in Europe, Africa, Asia and South America, giving participants either chloroquine, hydroxychloroquine or a placebo.

Professor Sir Nick White, who's leading the trial, said: "Most experts agree there is a much better chance of benefit in prevention than treatment."

Don't let little factoids ever get in the way of selective narrative. Davo mentioned Australia is conducting the same trial. Aussies have proved during this pandemic to move away from politics and do their studies diligently. I'd wait for the results of their studies, either as a treatment - properly administered as prescribed, and/or as prophylactic.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 09:20:59 AM by GQBlues »
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
  • Trips: 4 - 10
News of a second post Coronavirus outbreak escalating in China:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-53074076

Will just have to wait and see whether this turns into something big and if anything can be learned about the source of the virus, apparently from a wholesale food market as far as is known so far on this one.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Gator

Hours after Oxford declared HCQ should be dropped as a treatment for COVID, they announced a breakthrough treatment medicine for coronavirus called Dexamethasone. It's still 'on trial' but....

Positive news, yet not very significant based on this news item from NY Times:: 

It reduced the death rate of patients on ventilators by a third and patients on oxygen by a fifth.

As you correctly surmised, what is significant is your nugget:

"Most experts agree there is a much better chance of benefit in prevention than treatment." 

We need a better condom for COVID-19 than wearing a mask.  The rate of daily new cases in Florida is higher than ever, almost 2x the rate seen in April.  This is explained partly by Florida testing at 3x the April rate.  Fortunately, deaths have declined significantly as if the current disease is not as potent, etc. 

This refutes  the theory held by some that the pandemic could subside with warmer weather.  It's hot in Florida and people are getting sick.   

Offline BillyB

The rate of daily new cases in Florida is higher than ever, almost 2x the rate seen in April.  This is explained partly by Florida testing at 3x the April rate.  Fortunately, deaths have declined significantly as if the current disease is not as potent, etc. 

This refutes  the theory held by some that the pandemic could subside with warmer weather.  It's hot in Florida and people are getting sick.

My second business sells desktop computers. Florida has over taken NY recently as the top destination of where I ship computers. More and more Floridians are staying home lately and are bored. Online shopping is increasing.

Flu viruses have a much greater chance to die in hot weather. SAR-COV-19 is related to the cold virus. We get still get colds in the Summer but we have less or no symptoms since our bodies get through the cold easier with  warmer weather.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline msmob

GQB, is 'at it' again ..

'hours'..?

How about ELEVEN days ?

http://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/05/uk-trial-on-hydroxychloroquine-it-doesnt-work-303275  5th June, 2020

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-53061281 16th June, 2020

Don't let little factoids ever get in the way of selective narrative.

Or reality, eh ?

Offline GQBlues

As you correctly surmised, what is significant is your nugget:

We need a better condom for COVID-19 than wearing a mask.  The rate of daily new cases in Florida is higher than ever, almost 2x the rate seen in April.  This is explained partly by Florida testing at 3x the April rate.  Fortunately, deaths have declined significantly as if the current disease is not as potent, etc. 

BINGO!!! Exactly my point!!!

It is always refreshing knowing there's folks out there that easily and fully understands the language they are born into. I'm not sure why this seem almost impossible for *some*.

It's so hysterical to have to explain to *some* folks statements written in their own language/s...mystifying really.

:devil:
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Offline GQBlues

GQB, is 'at it' again ..

'hours'..?

How about ELEVEN days ?

http://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/05/uk-trial-on-hydroxychloroquine-it-doesnt-work-303275  5th June, 2020

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-53061281 16th June, 2020

Or reality, eh ?

Reference your OWN BBC link to the BBC link in my post...ye shall be enlightened.

If not have someone else read it for you for explanation.

Offline msmob

Reference your OWN BBC link to the BBC link in my post...ye shall be enlightened.

If not have someone else read it for you for explanation.

Would that be as 'Enlightened' as your ( and your President's) continued 'support' of  HCQ?

Indeed, you'll have to highlight my pointing out another 'failed factoid' from GQB ...

Offline GQBlues

Would that be as 'Enlightened' as your ( and your President's) continued 'support' of  HCQ?

Indeed, you'll have to highlight my pointing out another 'failed factoid' from GQB ...

Deflection 101. Classic...

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
Looks like Coronavirus is only just getting going out in Russia:

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020/06/17/coronavirus-is-just-getting-started-in-some-russian-regions-their-wwii-parades-are-going-ahead-a70596

Worrying for anyone with loved ones out there surely.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline msmob

VERY, VVP is putting his bid for 'Tsardom' ( his 'referendum') on July 1st before the wishes of Governors of regions ...

Sochi is now fully open to infectious tourists from  regions with MUCH  higher infection rates .. ((

Deflection 101. Classic...

So, you took the time to suggest 'deflection' rather than 'proving you point'... ? :ROFL:

It is noted you would rather point out a posting typo than simply say, " I made a dick of myself re 'pushing' HCQ and trying to diss any trial that busted my misguided and ill-informed support re the efficacy of said med, in the face of those who had greater knowledge / experience, who patiently tried to put me straight" ..

There you go..your very own diversionary tosh, solved for you.... 

Offline fathertime

FT-

I hope your MIL gets well...and soon!
Thanks,
Fathertime! 
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline fathertime

Hope she gets well. Do you know how bad it is in Columbia? What kind of treatment is your MIL getting in the hospital if they even have room for her?  The closest it hit home for me is my step father's sister in law passed away from the virus.
Apparently the virus is running wild in Colombia although the numbers don't appear terribly high.  They are under a very strict lockdown.  Wife and boy had to cancel scheduled trip there since nobody from US is allowed in, even citizens.   
No hospital, just toughing out the illness at home the old fashioned way.  For better or worse, hospitals will kill is the family attitude.

Fathertime! 
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
Cases back on the up throughout the world from Ukraine to Portugal to the US and South America many are halting their easing up and going back into lockdown or imposing new specific restrictions.

Texas is one case of that today:

http://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/jun/25/coronavirus-live-news-who-warns-of-global-oxygen-shortage-as-cases-rise-by-1m-per-week

To me it doesn't look like they got lockdown easing up right and they are going to have to rethink how we all go about our business and leisure, if indeed we do much leisure at all while this virus is knocking around.

Lots of people out on the beaches down my way in Bournemouth today apparently social distancing went out the window. Fortunately I was not there among them as a big potential virus risk.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
A recent study showing that bad cases of Coronavirus can impact on the brain badly in several ways with likely long term health problems:

http://www.google.com/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1301269/coronavirus-latest-news-effect-on-brain-study-stroke-uk-deaths-update/amp

Offline msmob

Given the title of the thread , Trench, and your insistence of using AMP I'm wondering if your latest 'link' is your way of trying to tell us something ...?

Offline BC

Cases back on the up throughout the world from Ukraine to Portugal to the US and South America many are halting their easing up and going back into lockdown or imposing new specific restrictions.

Wrong.  Many countries are doing very well fighting the virus with their citizens living and even enjoying life again with very few restrictions.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
Wrong.  Many countries are doing very well fighting the virus with their citizens living and even enjoying life again with very few restrictions.

That seems to be the problem BC, restrictions have been relaxed and people are out taking it too far with the enjoyment.

Well, well done everyone with passing the first wave! Now we've just got to get through the second wave that is hitting us/about to hit us.

Offline msmob

BC

I'm sorry to 'side' with Trench, but he has a point..

Portugal, Germany, Ireland, Wales, England ...to name but a few ...are having issues with HT spots, particularly and bizarrely at food processing plants.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541019
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2385
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 2213
Total: 2223

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 06:44:55 AM

Re: Arctic Blast hit hard in most areas of USA by 2tallbill
Today at 06:36:29 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:57:04 PM

Re: Plumber earnings by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 09:37:55 PM

Plumber earnings by ML
Yesterday at 07:49:26 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:17:08 PM