It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Political Discussions  (Read 6899 times)

Offline Mod7

• Super Moderator
  • I'm NOT amused (the CossacKat)
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
Political Discussions
« on: December 09, 2016, 11:05:31 AM »
Political Discussions

Considering some recent heated - or more - discussions in this area, it is worth reminding the RWD Membership of some relevant points in the Terms of Service (TOS) that you ALL agreed to follow upon registering at RWD:

Rules of Conduct
You shall not post any message containing or otherwise use any obscene or offensive language...
You agree to refrain from posting any ethnic, racial, religious, or political commentary which is not directly related to the theme of this site and/or which may be interpreted by others as being offensive or insulting...
You agree not to interfere with another member's use and enjoyment of this site...

Although general political discussions are explicitly discouraged above, it was recognized in 2006 that they could not be totally excluded, and it was decided to host them in a separate board (Anything Goes, a.k.a. No Holds Barred) for which the following guidelines were laid down by the ADMIN of RWD:

Rules of Engagement and Forum Rules and Agreement
This forum is largely unmoderated. All posted information is the responsibility of the original poster and RWD accepts no responsibility for anything posted here. RWD members, by posting in this section, agree to indemnify and hold RWD and its owners/operators harmless from any legal actions arising from their posts on RWD.

"Unmoderated" does NOT mean that trollish or defamatory posts are allowed in this section. It does NOT relieve the person posting from following the board's Terms of Service, as may be found in the Administrative section of the board.

I will do what I am able so that RWD does NOT become fertile territory for the legal community seeking to file lawsuits.

To attempt to protect RWD - and to attempt to protect the members of RWD - if ANYONE sends me a PM which indicates they have been the victim of defamatory comments - and they direct me to the post - within a reasonable amount of time and with the most cursory of examinations I *WILL* remove the offending post in its entirety.

That can be seen as unfair or biased or otherwise not allowing the game to move forward unfettered - BUT - I can assure all of you that you do NOT want to be embroiled in a litigation to come from anger-filled or hasty comments made on an internet discussion board.

It is our intention to REDUCE the number of politically themed threads in the Anything Goes board, therefore some of them will be locked in the near future to re-balance the contents of RWD.

Please refrain from opening new ones (you can use an existing one and change the title of your post to fit your theme), and follow the above Rules/Guidelines in what remains.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 12:07:00 PM by Mod7 »

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Political Discussions
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 07:18:14 PM »

Is there any way to get Anything Goes/No Holds Barred posts off the Recent Posts list? Those who want a daily dose of politics or blah would have to click the sub forum and then click on the thread and page they want to read instead of having easy access from the Recent Posts list. Those who just want FSU talk would have no idea there is a raging war in blah blah or the political thread.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline SANDRO43

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 07:37:25 PM »
Is there any way to get Anything Goes/No Holds Barred posts off the Recent Posts list?
I'afraid not Billy, not that I know.
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline ML

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 08:11:24 PM »
I'afraid not Billy, not that I know.

Sandro, that doesn't sound very logical.

Billy has a good idea.

In all programming, you can put some sort of identifier anyplace.  Then another routine looks for those identifiers and does something.  In this case it would be to not let those posts show up.  If this, then that.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 03:05:14 AM »
Is there any way to get Anything Goes/No Holds Barred posts off the Recent Posts list? Those who want a daily dose of politics or blah would have to click the sub forum and then click on the thread and page they want to read instead of having easy access from the Recent Posts list. Those who just want FSU talk would have no idea there is a raging war in blah blah or the political thread.

There may not be an easy way to remove those posts from the Recent Posts lists, but there IS a very easy way to avoid them.  Don't start with your Recent Posts lists - start with the "Show new replies to your posts" and "Show unread posts since last visit," which appear on the top left of the screen under your user name.  If you don't want to read anything about politics (or any other thread that has been opened in that area), simply avoid them when using those buttons to open the list of threads which match the two criteria.

Offline BC

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 03:59:40 AM »
ML,

The problem with custom programming is that it can be expensive and may cause problems / need modification every time standard forum packages are updated, usually by an automatic process that happens on a regular basis.

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 07:26:55 AM »
There may not be an easy way to remove those posts from the Recent Posts lists, but there IS a very easy way to avoid them.
An even easier way is to remove the Recent Posts list altogether, by clicking the minus sign at right of its title ;).
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline BillyB

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 10:41:00 AM »
There may not be an easy way to remove those posts from the Recent Posts lists, but there IS a very easy way to avoid them.  Don't start with your Recent Posts lists - start with the "Show new replies to your posts" and "Show unread posts since last visit," which appear on the top left of the screen under your user name.  If you don't want to read anything about politics (or any other thread that has been opened in that area), simply avoid them when using those buttons to open the list of threads which match the two criteria.

Enough people complained so I believe they utilize the Recent Posts list which can look ugly when the last 25 posts are politics or Blah. Of course this place isn't for profit and customer satisfaction may not be a primary objective but if there is an easy way to please people instead of changing their behavior, that would be ideal.

An even easier way is to remove the Recent Posts list altogether, by clicking the minus sign at right of its title ;).

That would be like me telling people that don't like the stink in my house to go close my bathroom door! I believe the Recent Posts lists is more important than unread and replies to our posts list. Most people like to read current topics, not yesterday's news. Also they like to read topics that catch on fire when viewing posting activity. How will they easily access new topics with their list hiding? They have to click on each of 20+ sub forums to see if somebody started something new in each one of them.

If things can't easily be changed, It's probably healthier for the forum to limit and lock political discussions...except when the next election cycle rolls around. :D
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline alex330

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 11:09:35 AM »
It should be very easy guys. Look in the XML and edit as needed -

board=y - display only the recent posts from board "y"
boards=x,y,z - display only the recent posts from the specified boards
c=x or c=x,y,z - display only the recent posts from boards in the specified category/categories

Offline alex330

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2016, 11:16:52 AM »
it's in the "recent" sub action on the XML Sandro. Just specify the boards you want to show in recent posts is all.

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2016, 11:36:07 AM »
Alex, the problem is that I'd have to find the SMF module responsible for putting "Recent Posts" there and modify it - which I don't trust myself to do without possibly causing some collateral damage :(.

Shadow and Dewed could probably do it but, as BC pointed out, it might be erased by a subsequent SMF update anyway.
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline calmissile

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2016, 02:07:33 PM »
Not sure why we need any changes.  I have found a way for myself that works fine:

I use the "Show unread posts since last visit".
I then pick out the posts I want to read and open them.
Then return to the "Show unread....."
When I am done, I simply go back to "Show unread...." and choose the "Mark all messages as read"
It erases all the messages I did not have any interest it.
Done deal!
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2016, 02:42:14 AM »
Not sure why we need any changes.  I have found a way for myself that works fine:

I use the "Show unread posts since last visit".
I then pick out the posts I want to read and open them.
Then return to the "Show unread....."
When I am done, I simply go back to "Show unread...." and choose the "Mark all messages as read"
It erases all the messages I did not have any interest it.
Done deal!

The only difference between you and me is that I read ALL the posts.

Even a lurking non-member can do this.  So long as they log in from the same IP address each time (or maybe just use home and work computers, as I do), the engine behind those lists will remember what you've already seen and won't list them again as unread.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541017
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2385
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 2243
Total: 2253

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:57:04 PM

Re: Plumber earnings by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 09:37:55 PM

Plumber earnings by ML
Yesterday at 07:49:26 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 01:09:03 PM