It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Coronavirus, how are you preparing for it and how it is affecting you so far?  (Read 456585 times)

Offline Hammer2722

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Gov Cuomo and most governors will probably agree, barber shops and salons aren't very essential and will be at the end when slowly phasing certain businesses to reopen. Hope you guys like the hippy look. Video is pretty good with Cuomo giving insight how he's tackling the virus and how the spread works.

Wifey took care of my hair last week and did a pretty damn good job. I may never have to pay for another haircut again! Who knew?

« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 02:27:38 PM by AnonMod »
every ship can be a minesweeper at least once...

Offline Gator

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Phil, your response makes me SO glad we have the NHS  and a form of Social HealthCare .. it's far from perfect, but ...

I don't believe the situation of waiting for a hospital bed in NYC resulted from how America's healthcare system is organized vs. your system in UK.   

The crisis situation in NYC resulted from factors unique to NYC, not the insurance system:

1.  NYC waited too late to order a lockdown.
      2.  NYC's high population density created more opportunities for exposure and resultant infections.
      3.  Large cities with Democrat administrations typically have inefficient municipal service organizations, and it seems this was true for NYC's hospitals.  We will need to wait for an after action report to know if this is true.

Let's contrast NYC with my county, population of 1.5 million and Democrat leaders.  We have 14 hospitals with a total of 4,153 hospital beds.  Many more beds could be added by modifying existing space, yet such is unnecessary because over 40% of existing beds are available now. 

http://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2020/04/02/heres-how-many-hospital-beds-are-available-in-tampa-bay-right-now/

Since the epidemic started, a total of 153 patients have been hospitalized in my county out of 979 total cases of COVID-19.   Over the past week, we have had a total of only 10 new hospitalizations. How America provides health care could be improved,  yet it is functioning.   

Offline LAman

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
Hey, I'm allowed to make a mistake once in my life. At least I'm not miscalculating COVID-19

A mistake??? Wasn't even a brain-fart. More like a blunder!!! And you work in construction,
 how do you stay in business??
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
Wifey took care of my hair last week and did a pretty damn good job. I may never have to pay for another haircut again! Who knew?

Back during my younger days, I dated a few hairstylists, and some were actually in the high profile salons. I learned that the scissors these stylists used actually cost anywhere from the high-hundreds to thousands per pair. There are reasons for this...
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
A mistake??? Wasn't even a brain-fart. More like a blunder!!! And you work in construction,  how do you stay in business??

Hey, I think this is too strong toward Billy.

A simple wording error between square feet and cubic feet is one that any of us could make.

I am sure that Billy knows the difference, as some of his machines are rated in terms of capacity to move X number of cubic feet in one scoop, and some are rated in cubic yards, etc.

I remember when I was building a first house and wanted to do a lot of the planning myself.  It got a little tricky calculating how much concrete I wanted delivered when some of the component measures were in inches and I had to compute cubic yards !!!
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline BillyB

My wife offered to cut my hair for the first time. I'm not ready for it but I'll be nervous when it happens. If she does a good job on my hair like she takes care of her face, I think everything will be alright.

A simple wording error between square feet and cubic feet is one that any of us could make.

I am sure that Billy knows the difference, as some of his machines are rated in terms of capacity to move X number of cubic feet in one scoop, and some are rated in cubic yards, etc.

I remember when I was building a first house and wanted to do a lot of the planning myself.  It got a little tricky calculating how much concrete I wanted delivered when some of the component measures were in inches and I had to compute cubic yards !!!

Thanks ML, everything is rated in cubic yds when doing earthwork. When calculating volume one mistake with a calculator and it'll cost thousands on a small job and hundreds of thousands on a big job. The financial damage will be exponential.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦

Face masks don't protect you from contracting the virus.  But if you carry the virus, it will protect others from you.

This post was composed without the aid of google.

Not true, they can greatly reduce the chances of contracting it. Some masks are of course better than others. I don't bother with that medical mask rubbish, I have the king of kings, the gas mask ;D
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline GQBlues

Back when I was heavily involved in public works, I remember the time when Caltrans adopted the metric system and issued their bidding scope sheets with metric itemization.

It was unnerving how many errors companies and individuals alike made in their respective bids. In almost every post-bid activities, companies would request their bid be withdrawn due to 'clerical error'

People I know who's been in the business for decades still have a hard time equating to different aspects of transposition e.g. architectural/engineering unit measures; CY, CM, SF, SY, Tonnages, CF, etc..

Aggregates for instance, over the years PEs, foremen, etc...always seem to order far more tonnage of aggregates than what is required on a project. They all have their own silly formula how to transpose SF to tonnage. Consequently, there would always be cost overruns when the reports come back in. Same with concrete, water, rebar/steel, even lumber used for false work..
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 03:26:40 PM by GQBlues »
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Offline BillyB

It was unnerving how many errors companies and individuals alike made in their respective bids. In almost every post-bid activities, companies would request their bid be withdrawn due to 'clerical error'

I've seen that happen a few times. When a company wins a job due to being low bidder, they immediately celebrate. Then after a few minutes, they start to wonder why they are so much lower than everyone else so they review their bid, catch the error and then make an excuse to retract the bid.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
Not true, they can greatly reduce the chances of contracting it. Some masks are of course better than others. I don't bother with that medical mask rubbish, I have the king of kings, the gas mask ;D

Nope.  The masks don't stop one from contracting the virus.  It does stop the spread.

After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline LAman

Thanks ML, everything is rated in cubic yds when doing earthwork. When calculating volume one mistake with a calculator and it'll cost thousands on a small job and hundreds of thousands on a big job. The financial damage will be exponential.

I am needling you BillyB because you want to across here as a semi-expert.

Since it is your main business, rare to make such 'mistake'. ))))

Offline LAman

ML, sure you could call it a wording error by a layman!!

I am sure BillyB realized his error after GQ's post.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦

Nope.  The masks don't stop one from contracting the virus.  It does stop the spread.

We'll see. I bet you, you get the virus before me, if I even get it at all ;)
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline SteveInBoston

• Trips: 1 - 3
There was an interesting local news report in Boston.

At medical group studied a neighborhood in Chelsea (area East-NE of Boston).  They conducted 206 Covid-19 antibody blood test on passerby's who agreed.  It was a pinprick test that took 10 minutes to deliver a result.  It looked a bit like the over the counter pregnancy tests.  Instead of peeing on a stick, you use a drop of blood from a finger pinprick.

They discovered 31.5% had covid antibodies. A few had some minor symptoms, but most were asymptomatic.

I wondered about 2 things: 

1)  There is a 10 minute covid antibody test?  How can I get one?

2)  If more people are infected than surmised, then the mortality rate of the virus is lower than currently tracked. 

I really hope we ramp up testing to the point most can get tested, whether they are symptomatic or not.

Offline Strider

There was an interesting local news report in Boston.

At medical group studied a neighborhood in Chelsea (area East-NE of Boston).  They conducted 206 Covid-19 antibody blood test on passerby's who agreed.  It was a pinprick test that took 10 minutes to deliver a result.  It looked a bit like the over the counter pregnancy tests.  Instead of peeing on a stick, you use a drop of blood from a finger pinprick.

They discovered 31.5% had covid antibodies. A few had some minor symptoms, but most were asymptomatic.

I wondered about 2 things: 

1)  There is a 10 minute covid antibody test?  How can I get one?

2)  If more people are infected than surmised, then the mortality rate of the virus is lower than currently tracked. 

I really hope we ramp up testing to the point most can get tested, whether they are symptomatic or not.

I was in two airports in NYC, and then onto Miami and back through Fort Lauderdale airport just before Christmas.  Around Christmas I was sick with the Coronavirus symptoms for a day or so.  I am of the opinion that I have the antibodies but don't know where to get tested for them.  Testing will be the game changer, when we learn how widespread it really was.
"It's by talking nonsense that one gets to the truth!"
-Fiodor Michajłowicz Dostojewski

Offline GQBlues

Steve & Strider-

Why not try going to your respective Red Cross location and donate your blood. They’ll happily test you and your blood may well be used to help current cases.

Otherwise, consult a private lab and pay to get tested. Like this example: http://www.healthlabs.com/covid-19-antibody-test?pid=9031154&iid=&gclid=CjwKCAjw-YT1BRAFEiwAd2WRtjH7G1sGzBAUxaAnrYpSVPudSVPNMg4_iblNm1mzNwMGqTicDTfqUhoCPZ8QAvD_BwE
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 07:46:53 PM by GQBlues »

Online Faux Pas

"We are well on our way to a vaccine. We’ve also got a $12 treatment with the hydroxychloroquine cocktail that has smashed Brazil’s fatality rate by 95%.

Most importantly we’ve got millions upon millions of Americans who have been exposed to CoVid19 and who now have the late stage antibodies that demonstrate immunity.

It is time to acknowledge these facts, draw the necessary conclusions they lead us to, make changes for the benefit of the American people (for once), and end this nightmare.

Thank you Governor Cuomo for acknowledging it, now let’s go! "

http://townhall.com/columnists/kevinmccullough/2020/04/23/antibody-testing-proves-weve-been-had-n2567516?fbclid=IwAR1D8DVyOlwAlO3qzcowCs_uxL5vMnabTR-g0wDSIBd9QxAMSsx3Q6YByhc

Offline GQBlues

Wouldn’t that be the nuttiest nut, FP? Here we have Steve telling us their result is twice that than NY. Smaller sample but as random as any other. I remember a report from Italy that said 60 blood donors showed up and 40 of them were asymptomatic who were in isolation for weeks before because of their lockdown.

Someone blow the whistle over and let the fat lady sing.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 09:05:25 PM by GQBlues »

Offline BillyB

Don't get too excited over antibody tests. Remember COVID-19 tests? Many were inaccurate. Some only 20% accurate. Millions of antibody tests had to be discarded in Europe. Millions of antibody tests are no good in America. What are the chances of creating a test nearly 100% accurate  for a new virus on the first try? The tests may mistaken antibodies in the body that was created to attack another coronavirus that causes the common cold. Adults get colds 2-3 times a year. Kids, even more.

http://www.ft.com/content/a93e6b28-3778-4089-8d80-4e6775996aea

NYC Health Dept has sent alert to all medical providers advising *not* to use anti-body tests to diagnose prior covid infection nor to assess immunity. This is due to high rate of false negatives/positives and uncertainty about how immunity works. tweeted Mark D. Levine, Chair of New York City Council health committee.

http://twitter.com/MarkLevineNYC/status/1253473387948781568

In the link above is the letter NYC medical professionals got yesterday. If anybody feels better the antibody tests are telling us the truth, do what you got to do to feel better but the medical experts aren't confident in the tests or results of the study that gave people "hope".

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
Turns out that I was right on another aspect of this virus that the fatties are coming of worse as a result of being obese:

http://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8233519/amp/Being-overweight-puts-people-greater-risk-hospitalised-coronavirus.html

So we may have a lot less fat chicks when this is all done with.

Apparently it's having quite an effect in America the fat capital of the world:

http://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/coronavirus-kills-more-young-americans-because-were-fat%3f_amp=true

Offline Boethius

People are losing their loved ones, who die horrid, painful deaths, and you think it's great.  You really are beyond the pale.

After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
People are losing their loved ones, who die horrid, painful deaths, and you think it's great.  You really are beyond the pale.

I never said it was great in the above statement, it was merely a factual statement.

Offline msmob

Trench,

you love to confirm you ARE a sociopath ..

Offline BC

A sad, lonely loser, as well as the jerkoff type that chicks of all kind, ignore at first glance.

Better for him to stick to pornhub fora instead.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
A sad, lonely loser, as well as the jerkoff type that chicks of all kind, ignore at first glance.

Better for him to stick to pornhub fora instead.

Not at all. BC I have shown you great kindness on this forum by alerting you in advance to the ravenous mob that may tear you limb from limb when things go from bad to worse in Italy and this is how you repay me, shame on you BC.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541451
Total Topics: 20864
Most Online Today: 1973
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 8
Guests: 1942
Total: 1950

+-Recent Posts

Re: Trippin in St Pete by krimster2
Yesterday at 12:26:08 PM

Re: Trippin in St Pete by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:34:19 AM

Trippin in St Pete by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 06:20:16 AM

Re: Hard work -- How can I explain this to my Russian wife? by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 01:03:56 AM

Re: Trippin in St Pete by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 01:01:18 AM

Hard work -- How can I explain this to my Russian wife? by 2tallbill
April 28, 2024, 01:53:18 PM

Russian/Ukranian women - views on sex before marriage? by 2tallbill
April 28, 2024, 10:57:05 AM

Russian/Ukranian women - views on sex before marriage? by 2tallbill
April 28, 2024, 10:55:23 AM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
April 28, 2024, 10:11:31 AM

Re: international travel by krimster2
April 28, 2024, 09:44:27 AM