It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Russian Grammar 101 re 'Trampu' ;)  (Read 2560 times)

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Russian Grammar 101 re 'Trampu' ;)
« on: November 13, 2018, 10:36:47 AM »
Some folks keep getting 'upset' when I refer to 'Trampu'

They EVEN tell me I'm being rude or do not understand Russian

So time for a RU Grammar lesson

You see ? Trampu !

:D

Nominative: Tramp

Genitive: Trampa

Dative: Trampu

Accusative:  Trampa

Instrumental: Trampom

Prepositional: o Trampe

Offline DaveNY

Re: Russian Grammar 101 re 'Trampu' ;)
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 01:04:50 PM »
Source? Just because you found something on flickr that agrees with something you said, a rarity, does not make it a fact.

Offline msmob

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 01:20:21 PM »
A real live Russian speaker ...

Ask your wife.... :popcorn:

Offline DaveNY

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 02:07:43 PM »
A real live Russian speaker ...

Ask your wife.... :popcorn:

Why? You're not a real live Russian speaker. How would my wife know where you got this? Just post the source.

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 03:05:31 PM »
Open any basic Russian grammar book.  The declensions listed are accurate/correct.

There used to be one further declension, but it hasn't really been used in about 100 years, and has been merged with the prepositional declension.

In Ukrainian, there is one additional declension, the vocative.  It is rarely used, but I can think of a couple of examples.

ETA - No google was used to compose this post.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 03:11:20 PM by Boethius »
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline msmob

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 03:05:48 PM »
Why? You're not a real live Russian speaker. How would my wife know where you got this? Just post the source.

Are you THAT inattentive?

I meant check the Russian grammar with your good lady ...  :wallbash:

I work with Russians and my t'other half is Russian

The source is not a form of A.I. ... or a web site ...they are real live human beings who understand RU grammar and speak / write - better in English that many so called native speakers

Edited to add

The screen grab image was from a press summary from rambler.ru

« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 03:07:53 PM by msmob »

Offline SANDRO43

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 06:05:33 PM »
It is interesting to note how most language families gradually shed declensions over centuries of use, but most retained remnants of them for their pronouns ::).
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline DaveNY

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 06:33:17 PM »
Are you THAT inattentive?

I meant check the Russian grammar with your good lady ...  :wallbash:

I work with Russians and my t'other half is Russian

The source is not a form of A.I. ... or a web site ...they are real live human beings who understand RU grammar and speak / write - better in English that many so called native speakers

Edited to add

The screen grab image was from a press summary from rambler.ru

Of course I checked with my wife, that's why I know you're wrong.

Trampu is the Russian Latin script of Russian Cyrillic for Trump's name under specific conditions. As she said when she's writing in English she doesn't use Russian Cyrillic or Latin script, she uses the English version.

IOW if you want to use the Russian Latin script write the entire sentence in Russian Latin script not just selected words.

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 07:19:32 PM »

You're getting your butt kicked hard on another forum on this issue and you drag it over here to get some sympathy. Not from me.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 08:57:15 AM »
Of course I checked with my wife, that's why I know you're wrong.

Trampu is the Russian Latin script of Russian Cyrillic for Trump's name under specific conditions. As she said when she's writing in English she doesn't use Russian Cyrillic or Latin script, she uses the English version.

IOW if you want to use the Russian Latin script write the entire sentence in Russian Latin script not just selected words.

The better half carries on whole conversations with friends and relatives on his laptop, transliterating Russian words into Latin script.  He doesn't have a Cyrillic keyboard, and has to use one online, so it's significantly easier for him, and they have no issues understanding what he is writing.  He corresponds with a former classmate from Denmark on occasion, and she responds with Russian words, Latin script, as well.  He does have a virtual keyboard installed on his phone, so on his phone, he uses Cyrillic script.

"Trampu" is the dative case.  I suppose using it in English would depend on the context.  I don't have an issue with it, after all, this is a forum about all things FSU, so the use of Russian or Ukrainian words is not an issue. 

Perhaps we could be like the incel elsewhere, and make a case for the "proper" use of declensions when using Russian words in English.

ETA - This post was composed without the aid of google.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 11:26:16 AM by Boethius »
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline msmob

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 01:04:28 PM »
You're getting your butt kicked hard on another forum on this issue

1/ I did not drag it over here - I posted it here as some members HERE did not GET why I used the term..I refer to 'O'Bama', too . That could certainly be more easily offensive as that is not a grammatical FACT - as 'Trampu' is ...

2/ You being such a 'good Russian speaker' - like the 'experts'  in a place you may be referring to - are hardly placed to realise that my butt is quite 'unmarked' ...

3/ Strange that someone so 'tuned-in to fake news' is once more a clueless patsy for same  ;D

For those who care

Silly BillyB believes a REALLY smart Russian - who speaks (and certainly writes ) English to a higher std than many of us - wouldn't know RU grammar as well as a Brit guy and a Canadian of Chinese extraction ( who now claims to be an American)

:wallbash:

Offline msmob

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 01:16:33 PM »
Of course I checked with my wife, that's why I know you're wrong.[/quoite]

I'll tell the  professor of Language Methodology and my Russian biz partner tomorrow that their educations were a waste ;)

DaveNY, either you didn't explain to her and you are making this up - or you didn't show her the screen grab from Rambler's news feeds from a few days ago - which IS in Russian - I merely used latin script as a transliteration - for clarity

Трампу really is the dative form used for Tramp and arguing otherwise is just plain daft ...

I'd not be too keen to make my wife look daft to try to 'score a point ' .. so I'm going to assume the latter scenario

Offline Boethius

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2018, 11:28:21 AM »
Трампу really is the dative form used for Tramp and arguing otherwise is just plain daft ...

I don't believe he, or his wife, argued otherwise.

The only person who really made a case of this was Mr. Incel at the other place.

ETA - This post was composed without the aid of google.

Offline DaveNY

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2018, 11:46:40 AM »
DaveNY, either you didn't explain to her and you are making this up - or you didn't show her the screen grab from Rambler's news feeds from a few days ago - which IS in Russian - I merely used latin script as a transliteration - for clarity

I'd not be too keen to make my wife look daft to try to 'score a point ' .. so I'm going to assume the latter scenario

msmob when you post my quote please make sure you don't alter it. This is my post below. The bolded part is something you added. If you can't reply to my posts without altering them, don't reply to my posts.

Of course I checked with my wife, that's why I know you're wrong.[/quoite]

I'll tell the  professor of Language Methodology and my Russian biz partner tomorrow that their educations were a waste ;)

Offline DaveNY

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2018, 12:00:37 PM »

Yes, my wife saw the screen grab. She sees many of the posts on RWD. She often reads posts and says "This person claims to have been in Russia? It must have been a different Russia than the Russia I grew up in." 

She then went into far more detail about how the Russian language works than I needed to know. It dredged up memories of Russian language lessons. Good thing, no articles in Russian, no definite or indefinite articles. Bad thing Cyrillic alphabet, nouns and gender and declension in Russian. I get it.

Let's be honest msmob. You didn't use Trampu for clarity. You used it to try to make a funny. Like many of your posts it was BS.   

Offline msmob

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2018, 12:52:27 PM »
msmob when you post my quote please make sure you don't alter it. This is my post below. The bolded part is something you added. If you can't reply to my posts without altering them, don't reply to my posts.

Dear DaveNY

It is abundantly clear that the word [/quoite] appears - I added nought

A spelling mistake - making a coding error.

So, it THIS your latest attempt to deflect from the fact that at least two members KNOW that either:

1/ you didn't explain this use of 'Trampu',  properly

or

2/ you must be lying

or

3/ your wife doesn't know RU grammar ? 

Which speaking for myself - I SERIOUSLY doubt it's #3 .....

Offline Donna_Pedro

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2018, 01:44:54 PM »

So time for a RU Grammar lesson

You see ? Trampu !

:D

Nominative: Tramp

Genitive: Trampa

Dative: Trampu

Accusative:  Trampa

Instrumental: Trampom

Prepositional: o Trampe

Grammer is correct.
Kaplah!

Offline msmob

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2018, 02:06:14 PM »
roSenQatlh quv ;)

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541009
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1865
Total: 1876

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM