It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: FOR HISTORY BUFFS  (Read 118590 times)

Offline SANDRO43

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Re: FOR HISTORY BUFFS
« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2018, 08:58:39 AM »
FIRST BREAD

A Shubayqa hearth

It was generally assumed that bread first appeared around 7,000 BC in the Near East.

However, two hearths in Shubayqa, a Jordanian site of the Natufian culture discovered in the 1990s, were found to contain 642 remains of baked food including a flat, 25-mm thick loaf similar to current Arab/Indian types - dateable around 12,000 BC.

Analyses revealed its components to derive from the ground seeds of wild barley, wheat and the tubers of scirpus, a genus of aquatic, grass-like species also called club-rush, bulrush. deergrass or grassweed.
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #101 on: July 22, 2018, 09:57:58 AM »
ANOTHER GREEK THEATRE DISCOVERED IN SICILY

A French team digging in the area of what was the Sicilian city of Halaesa (later Alesa Arconidea) founded in 403 B.C. on the north-eastern coast near contemporary Tusa, brought to light the upper ring of seats of the koilon (cavea in Latin) of a Greek-style theatre:

Dig a hole in Italy, and you are likely to find some hitherto-unknown historical remains ;D.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 11:03:25 AM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #102 on: July 24, 2018, 03:37:48 PM »
TREASURES TURNING UP WHERE ONE LEAST EXPECTS THEM

A 17th century book under restoration was found to contain an unusual "stiffener" in its back cover, a hand-written parchment page probably of the 12th century, from one of the oldest now known Antiphonarii (collections of liturgical chants).
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline jone

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2018, 08:10:43 AM »
TREASURES TURNING UP WHERE ONE LEAST EXPECTS THEM

A 17th century book under restoration was found to contain an unusual "stiffener" in its back cover, a hand-written parchment page probably of the 12th century, from one of the oldest now known Antiphonarii (collections of liturgical chants).

That drawing probably even predates Walt Disney.  What is it?  A dog eating a woman?
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #104 on: July 25, 2018, 11:40:24 AM »
What is it?  A dog eating a woman?
Some imaginary beast (a serpent?) with painted legs standing on a holy-water font, holding and licking an infant in a crib.

The Latin text in Carolingian script is only partially legible for me:

dictus et repente de celo...advementes...
vehementes alleluia alleluia...Magnus Dei Confirma
quod operatus et a nobis exemplo facto...quod est in Herusalem

The notes of the accompanying plainchant are expressed by dots (Beneventan diastematic neumas) on a single line, as customary from the early 11th century.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 11:42:23 AM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #105 on: August 08, 2018, 05:15:38 PM »
LONGOBARD BURIAL GROUND DISCOVERED

Dig a hole in Italy, and you are likely to find some hitherto-unknown historical remains ;D.
There we go again ;D.

Digging for a gas pipeline at Gambolò near Pavia uncovered 11 graves of Longobards, a people who according to their historian Paul the Deacon gradually moved down from southern Scandinavia to Germany, Austria, Slovakia and eventually to Italy in 560 AD, ruling most of it for 2 centuries until 774, when their Kingdom was conquered by the Frankish King Charlemagne.

No bones in the graves due to the acidic nature of the ground, only artifacts like swords, pieces of armour, axes, daggers, arrow points.

The name Longobardi meant long-bearded, with a short variant of Lombardi which is still the name of the inhabitants of my region, Lombardia.
Milan's "Duomo"

Online krimster2

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #106 on: August 08, 2018, 07:21:15 PM »
thanks for that, I find it very interesting!

In Crimea, I lived next to Chersonnes, once a thriving Greek colony established as a Black Sea trading center in the 5th century BC
a nearby construction site was excavating a small section of ground near my home
just below the surface, there were human remains from WWII
another half meter down from the Crimean War
below that there were more from the classical period, all in the same little stretch of earth

Russians are kind of used to this, and treat these remains more or less as garbage
my children and I gathered them up and reburied them on a cliff that overlooks the black sea

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #107 on: August 26, 2018, 06:03:04 PM »
LAOS - THE ENDURING LEGACY OF THE VIETNAM WAR

40+ years after the end of that war, the country is still trying to cope with its deadly aftermath - as well as the ravages done by the Pathet Lao.

An estimated total of 2 million tons of explosives were dropped on Laos - its population then of about 2 million, too - 30% unexploded.

I saw an interesting documentary on Laotian female volunteers working as a bomb disposal unit, touring their country to do their dangerous job.

A more positive consequence is the recycling of bomb materials to make all sorts of stuff, from spoons to fireworks. I think the most imaginative is producing river boats from auxiliary fuel tanks :D.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 06:04:58 PM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #108 on: August 26, 2018, 07:03:56 PM »

An estimated total of 2 million tons of explosives were dropped on Laos

More bombs dropped in Laos than all of Europe in WWII. Wonder why America didn't simply bomb a road all the way to Hanoi to end the war. Seems like our politicians back then didn't have a plan to end it and prevented generals from doing what they do best.

More interesting facts below. 260 million cluster bombs were dropped. There's more bombs dropped than people in SE Asia at the time. It's apparent many missed their target or didn't explode.

http://legaciesofwar.org/about-laos/secret-war-laos/

http://legaciesofwar.org/resources/books-documents/land-of-a-million-bombs/
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline DaveNY

« Reply #109 on: August 26, 2018, 07:41:34 PM »
LAOS - THE ENDURING LEGACY OF THE VIETNAM WAR

40+ years after the end of that war, the country is still trying to cope with its deadly aftermath - as well as the ravages done by the Pathet Lao.

An estimated total of 2 million tons of explosives were dropped on Laos - its population then of about 2 million, too - 30% unexploded.

I saw an interesting documentary on Laotian female volunteers working as a bomb disposal unit, touring their country to do their dangerous job.

A more positive consequence is the recycling of bomb materials to make all sorts of stuff, from spoons to fireworks. I think the most imaginative is producing river boats from auxiliary fuel tanks :D.

Sandro they're still finding bombs in Germany the allies dropped during WW2. To a much lesser extent they're finding German bombs that were dropped on the UK during WW2.

It's unknown how long this will last. I've heard reports that say it's possible they could still be finding bombs from WW2 into the 22 century. 

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #110 on: August 27, 2018, 07:37:02 AM »
Sandro they're still finding bombs in Germany the allies dropped during WW2.
It also happens here, occasionally. This last March 23,000 people had to be evacuated from Fano on the Adriatic coast while they disposed of a big British bomb.

The bomb was transported miles offshore and exploded there. An artillery shell in June near Lake Garda:

Milan's "Duomo"

Online krimster2

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #111 on: August 27, 2018, 08:45:05 AM »
thanks for that!

I remember touring Verdun (Zone Rouge) in the late 80's, there is so much arsenic in the soil from lewisite that the soil is still too toxic to grow crops
parts of this area had received several tons of shells per sq meter
when excavated, the soil resembles iron ore
there are monuments near there to EOD personnel and a list of farmers who had been accidentally killed
the worst munitions are gas ones
it's still common today to see UXO (Unexploded Ordance) left by the side of the road by farmers for the disposal units

when I lived in Crimea, I uncovered an artillery shell, brought it to the attention of local authorities who were uninterested
so I disposed of it myself in the Black Sea
big black market for this to extract the explosive and sell it (not for excavation purposes!)
there's a particular layer of soil in Crimea that doesn't oxidize metals
any cartridge, shell, you find in this layer, you can just clean and polish, and it looks brand new
around Panorama and a few other tourist places in Sevastopol locals would sell 7.92mm Mauser cartridges that looked brand new after they were polished
I found nearly 100 myself over a 3 yr period
but reburied them when I left Crimea
with a metal detector around Balaclava you could find literally buckets of Crimean War musket/minnie balls
these would end for sale as well
outside of Chersonese I found bronze Sycthian arrowheads, they were quite common

Offline BdHvA

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #112 on: August 27, 2018, 04:13:14 PM »
On the Maas or Meuse Verdun is an interesting city, well not really. What every one wants to fight about this city I do not understand. It was interesting to see the vessels, German, Dutch, Belgium and French tied to the quay, 100 years ago this would be impossible.

I spent an afternoon walking around looking at sights and finally tired went to find dinner. Not in the mood for shorama or piazza I found the door to a what seemed a small bistro. Seated inside I realized I was overlooking the Meuse. The waiter was proper and the table impeccable, with proper flat ware where I enjoyed a perfect meal.

The price with some great wine was less than € 50,= I took a card and noted that my Michelin guide was left behind, but certainly would compliment the eatery. The waiter replied that they already had two stars.

It remains my only two star Michelin meal.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 07:01:29 PM by AnonMod »
Experierence is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you. A. Huxley

Offline jone

« Reply #113 on: August 27, 2018, 04:46:51 PM »
LONGOBARD BURIAL GROUND DISCOVERED
There we go again ;D.

Digging for a gas pipeline at Gambolò near Pavia uncovered 11 graves of Longobards, a people who according to their historian Paul the Deacon gradually moved down from southern Scandinavia to Germany, Austria, Slovakia and eventually to Italy in 560 AD, ruling most of it for 2 centuries until 774, when their Kingdom was conquered by the Frankish King Charlemagne.

No bones in the graves due to the acidic nature of the ground, only artifacts like swords, pieces of armour, axes, daggers, arrow points.

The name Longobardi meant long-bearded, with a short variant of Lombardi which is still the name of the inhabitants of my region, Lombardia.

The name Lombardi is a revered name where I come from as well.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #114 on: September 03, 2018, 04:45:56 PM »
The Rosetta Mission

This is not about history, nor prehistory, but about a MUCH earlier time.

Rosetta was a space probe built by the European Space Agency and launched on 2 March 2004, along with Philae, its lander module. It performed a detailed study of comet 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko:

On 12 November 2014 Philae landed on the comet and began its analyses. Its instruments revealed the presence of 16 organic compounds, four of which were seen for the first time on a comet (including acetamide, acetone, methyl isocyanate and propionaldehyde) as well as the amino acid glycine, along with precursor molecules methylamine and ethylamine.

Further proof that life was probably brought to our Earth, and possibly elsewhere, from outer space.

As the orbit of comet 67P took it farther from the Sun, the amount of sunlight reaching Rosetta's solar panels decreased. While it would have been possible to put Rosetta into a second hibernation phase during the comet's aphelion, there was no assurance that enough power would be available to run the spacecraft's heaters to keep it from freezing. In order to guarantee a maximum science return, mission managers made the decision to instead guide Rosetta down to the comet's surface and end the mission on impact, gathering photographs and instrument readings along the way. On 23 June 2015, at the same time as a mission extension was confirmed, ESA announced that end of mission would occur at the end of September 2016 after two years of operations at the comet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosetta_(spacecraft)
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #115 on: September 08, 2018, 04:53:53 PM »
ROMAN GOLD HOARD FOUND IN COMO

While demolishing the remains of a former cinema theatre in central Como, a thick pot with handle and stopper was found 1 metre below street level containing 300 Roman gold coins (aureii), presumed from the 4th century BC.

Hoards like this were often hidden during perilous times, and the unfortunate owners never managed to recover them during their lives :(.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 05:10:27 PM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline jone

« Reply #116 on: September 08, 2018, 06:52:06 PM »
ROMAN GOLD HOARD FOUND IN COMO

While demolishing the remains of a former cinema theatre in central Como, a thick pot with handle and stopper was found 1 metre below street level containing 300 Roman gold coins (aureii), presumed from the 4th century BC.

Hoards like this were often hidden during perilous times, and the unfortunate owners never managed to recover them during their lives :(.

Any idea what they are worth?

Offline msmob

« Reply #117 on: September 08, 2018, 11:16:37 PM »
A LOT more than 25 Denari ... 

What's the status of such finds, legally, in Italy, as to 'ownership', Sandro ?

We have to report them within 14 days and in most cases -  the finder gets 50 percent and the landowner the other 50 percent - if allowed to keep it

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #118 on: September 09, 2018, 06:39:08 AM »
Any idea what they are worth?
Coin collectors buy Roman aureii in good condition like those found for 10,000+ Euros each, thus the hoard would be worth at least 3,000,000 ;).
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #119 on: September 09, 2018, 06:53:24 AM »
What's the status of such finds, legally, in Italy, as to 'ownership', Sandro ?
All finds of archaeological/historical significance, underground or under the sea in territorial waters, belong to the State. The owner of the site may be granted 1/4 of the estimated value if the find was properly reported and "fortuitous", i.e. unintentional - thus excluding unauthorised excavations.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 06:55:35 AM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #120 on: September 09, 2018, 07:09:30 AM »
BTW, back in 1994 I volunteered for a 2-week dig SE of Rome - an interesting experience ;D reported here: http://www.floriani.it/archeo-eng.htm.
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #121 on: September 13, 2018, 05:11:40 PM »
THE BIRTHPLACE OF SPIKE HEELS

Vigevano is a small town some 20 miles SW of Milan, with a beautiful central square, Piazza Ducale where we, as teenagers, used to drive down often in the summer for an evening ice-cream:

Since the early 1950s, it had become a major shoe-manufacturing centre, with about 1,000 producers of all sizes out of a population of some 30,000 inhabitants.

In 1953 a few major Vigevanese producers hit upon the idea of making women's shoes with a thin, spike-like heel:

The green shoe at left was worn in 1956 by Marilyn Monroe

The rest is history, documented by exhibits in Vigevano's Museo Internazionale della calzatura ;D.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 05:13:35 PM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline msmob

« Reply #122 on: September 13, 2018, 10:57:40 PM »
Thank you, Sandro ..  I would love to ( retrospectively) assassinate the person responsible for SC's beloved platform shoes ;)

Offline ML

« Reply #123 on: September 13, 2018, 11:53:25 PM »
Retrospectively just refers to musing about something in the past.

For action, the word is retroactively.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline msmob

« Reply #124 on: September 14, 2018, 09:18:08 AM »
Hmm, I beg to differ - they are interchangeable - according to definitions THIS side of the pond ...

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541009
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1885
Total: 1896

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM