It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Cool places to start looking: Belarus  (Read 10886 times)

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
Cool places to start looking: Belarus
« on: April 20, 2019, 09:13:39 PM »
In general I believe that most men make the mistake of finding an interesting lady first, and then trying to jump thru all the hoops of where she lives, how to travel there, what her family is like, and the list could go on and on.

In the world of high speed Internet, that is how we approach this adventure. But what if there was another way? One that is perhaps more thoughtful and planned? A method where a guy draws out a plan of attack and then proceeds to follow that plan? Every plan has surprises and unexpected turns, but it is like a financial budget, you have an end result in mind as you begin the journey and you know how to achieve your plan. Modifications? Of course, we are human and life is never fully predictable.

One way to such discovery is YouTube. You can learn a heck of a lot about a place long before you visit by watching videos. It sure beats reading page after page from some dusty library book!

Forums like this one (this one is the best hands down) are great ways to learn and explore prior to traveling. So, in this thread I'll begin with Belarus. Don't fret, there are other places for other threads later. Belarus begins with the Latin letter B, and since none of you are going to hunt for a wife in places like Abkhazia or Azerbaijan, this is a good place to start.

Belarus holds a certain fascination for me. It is one of two places where I have been detained overnight by police in my role as a journalist. Russia is the the first. Even so, the people are wonderful and genuine. I don't like the government, but I like the people who make up this small nation.

Other than somewhere like Moldova, it is hard to find places more "Soviet" than Belarus. Yet, Belarus is also "Soviet Light" as it is not as dirt poor or destitute as Moldova, Abkhazia, Transdniestria, etc, and there are some very modern places in Belarus although you don't have to travel far to rediscover the Soviet Union.
[/size][/color]
[/size]The women of Belarus are gorgeous, just as in Ukraine and other parts of Eastern Europe. Don't be shocked if you become acquainted with beautiful babes who possess deep husky (and very sexy) voices. That seems to be common with some and one local opined that we can blame/thank Chernobyl for that. I'm not convinced, yet.[/color]

"Bald and Bankrupt" is a Brit who loves to travel across the former Soviet Union. He is fluent in Russian, very outgoing, handles a video camera quiet nicely (he uses a small Go-Pro), and isn't afraid to be adventurous in situations that would scare most travelers. He will be our travel guide as we become acquainted with Belarus.

The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
Re: Cool places to start looking: Belarus
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 09:28:32 PM »
After landing in Minsk (you will also if you visit) he travels to the medium size town of Бобруйск (Bobruysk). In Belorussian, Бабруйск is spelled with an "a" and locals speak Russian, but are loyal to their own language and customs. 

I have enjoyed visiting this city and the surrounding Oblast and can assure you that many of the local ladies are stunning.

This video is cute, but he really didn't just pick up this gal off the street. LOL Still, they played this scene very nicely.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 06:47:17 AM by SANDRO43 »
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 09:59:00 PM »
While a small country, the 5 day visa rule will make you plan your trip very well and Gomel is another city you should visit in Belarus.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 06:48:30 AM by SANDRO43 »

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 10:09:57 PM »
Gomel is a very attractive city and in Belorussian the name is Гомель or "Homyel." Gomel was founded in 1142 and there is a ton of history here as you might imagine. For a brief time Gomel was part of Ukraine but after the Bolshevik's defeated the forces fighting for Ukrainian independence, it became a part of the Soviet Union and was incorporated into Belarus. Eighty percent of the city was destroyed and the Jewish population was almost completely massacred during the Nazi occupation.
While the next "Bald and Bankrupt" video is funny, and true in this specific instance, there are nice places to stay in Gomel. But, this one is special....as you will see.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 06:51:38 AM by SANDRO43 »

Offline Davo

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 10:12:37 PM »
Deleted so not to corrupt the thread..... hopefully this is one in a series on different fsu countries.... All of your posts are very informative. Keep it coming!! 😊
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 12:03:03 AM by Davo »

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 10:26:45 PM »
Where to eat in Gomel? Here is a suggestion:

We should note that "Bald and Bankrupt" is fascinated with the former CCCP (Soviet Union or USSR as we'd say in English), as am I. However, to keep readers interested in modern conveniences we will also post about places in these cities that have learned to live with their history, but also embrace the future.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 10:34:50 PM »
Gomel is the second largest city in Belarus and home to the Sozh River (Сожь), a tributary of the Dnieper River. The Sozh freezes over in winter but in summer is an important waterway for commerce and uses an extensive system of navigational locks to move from one section of the river to another.

Water is important here and especially delightful in summer. Taking a boat ride on the river is a very romantic way to see Gomel and the surrounding areas.

Some of the small villages along the river date back to the first century.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 10:38:40 PM by mendeleyev »

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 10:39:47 PM »

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2019, 11:12:28 PM »
Due to the 5-day visa rule, most guys will arrive via Minsk, the capital of Belarus. More on a visa later.

Minsk was where Lee Harvey Oswald lived for a time. Oswald, the assassin accused of killing JFK, was discharged from the US Marines and defected to the Soviet Union. He lived here in Minsk where he was given a factory job working on television and radio sets and given a special apartment by the Soviet government. He learned Russian and married here in Belarus before returning to Dallas, Texas.

Belarus is ruled by a President "for life" who runs for reelection mainly just to show that he can. As Joseph Stalain was famous in saying: it doesn't matter who votes. What matters is who counts the votes. Aleksandr Lukashenko works with a Parliament that doesn't write laws. He writes the laws and submits them to Parliament. They pass the laws. He signs them. A very simple system, unless you don't like the system. Opposition is often met with brutality. The people are wonderful and maybe someday they will have a voice in their future and more freedom in their lives.

When his third son, his favourite, was 11 years old, Lukashenko announced that little Nikolai would be his successor. That saves the opposition a lot of money that they don't have to spend on trying to get their candidates elected. The boy, born in 2004, goes with his father everywhere, including to work every day, and receives an annual salary amounting to $31,000 US dollars. The kid is the only child in Belarus who holds the right to vote and state television (media is state controlled) makes a big deal each election cycle showing father and son voting together. Touching....well, unless your child is not allowed to vote.

The KGB stills exists and operates in Belarus. Yes, it is still called the KGB.

As you might imagine, business is highly regulated. Highly. But, Internet access is cheap and fast and so many young startups begin in Belarus. They just have to be smart enough to know when to exit. For example, the popular social media platform Viber started right here in Minsk.

Offline rwd123

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2019, 11:25:22 PM »
Worth mentioning the visa-free period has been updated to 30 days, though registration requirement is essentially unchanged if staying longer than five days business days. I don't know if registration is verified by immigration officials upon exit; they don't ask in Russia. Years ago I overstayed the registration period in Belarus (not visa period) and just played dumb. I was allowed to exit without any issues!

Also - if you wish to travel directly between Belarus and Russia (not just transit) then you require a visa from both countries.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2019, 11:34:05 PM »
How to get a visa to Belarus. You don't need a visa and entry is actually easy. But it can be tricky if you don't pay attention and the 5 day rule means that you must leave on the 5th day. Plan to arrive as early as possible and leave as late as possible on that 5th day. It is a small country and you can accomplish a lot in your 4.5 days.

Note: you may NOT travel to Russia from Belarus if you are not a citizen of Belarus or Russia. That is because Belarus and Russia are in some aspects a "Union State" and cross border travel is considered to be domestic as opposed to international travel. You may transit, but you cannot leave the transit area of the airport to visit Belarus and then continue on to Russia at a later time. Also, if your flight transits via Minsk en route to Russia, while you do not need a transit visa, you still need a visa to enter the Russian Federation.

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2019, 01:48:58 AM »
Thank you, Mendy
Just watched Baldy's first video and the Gomel riverbank scene Inn another

Super

Offline Maxx2

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2019, 01:55:35 AM »

Self deleted also so as to not corrupt this great thread. Good work Mendy!

« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 03:01:13 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline Patagonie

• >25 travels
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2019, 02:00:17 AM »
"In general I believe that most men make the mistake of finding an interesting lady first, and then trying to jump thru all the hoops of where she lives, how to travel there, what her family is like, and the list could go on and on.

In the world of high speed Internet, that is how we approach this adventure. But what if there was another way? One that is perhaps more thoughtful and planned? A method where a guy draws out a plan of attack and then proceeds to follow that plan? Every plan has surprises and unexpected turns, but it is like a financial budget, you have an end result in mind as you begin the journey and you know how to achieve your plan. Modifications? Of course, we are human and life is never fully predictable." :applaud:
"Je glissais through the paper wall, an angel in the hand, s taboy. I lay on the floor, surgi des chants de Maldoror, je mix l'intégrale de mes nuits de crystal, i belong to the festival.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2019, 02:13:31 AM »
How to get a visa to Belarus. You don't need a visa and entry is actually easy. But it can be tricky if you don't pay attention and the 5 day rule means that you must leave on the 5th day. Plan to arrive as early as possible and leave as late as possible on that 5th day. It is a small country and you can accomplish a lot in your 4.5 days.

This is good to know. Once a year I have leave Georgia to stay compliant with their 360 day no visa required rule. This year I went to Kiev. I think next year I'll try Minsk. I'm hard at learning Russian and working out at the gym (5 days a week). I've been to Minsk twice but just through the airport waiting for a connecting flight. Belarusian women sure look nice!  :D
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 03:02:11 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2019, 02:36:06 AM »
"In general I believe that most men make the mistake of finding an interesting lady first, and then trying to jump thru all the hoops of where she lives, how to travel there, what her family is like, and the list could go on and on.

In the world of high speed Internet, that is how we approach this adventure. But what if there was another way? One that is perhaps more thoughtful and planned? A method where a guy draws out a plan of attack and then proceeds to follow that plan? Every plan has surprises and unexpected turns, but it is like a financial budget, you have an end result in mind as you begin the journey and you know how to achieve your plan. Modifications? Of course, we are human and life is never fully predictable." :applaud:

That certainly is true. Most people don't plan ahead. Life and chance encounters blows them around. Yesterday I was talking to my daughter about her plan to fix her current troubles. I told her she needs to stay focused on paying off her debts as soon as possible and then get the reward of her objective. She's staying with her mother and hates it. I told her she should also consider a longer term plan. That is where she could be a few or several years from now. I suggested that after I reach full retirement age next month and can get a business license without forfeiting my pension I go the entrepreneurial route here in Batumi. Then when she gets her vacation (She just got a $25 an hour job at Honeywell) come visit me. Perhaps I'll have a place for her? Also I told her being your boss is often better than being at the mercy of an employer. People should think long term.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2019, 02:56:26 AM »

One way to such discovery is YouTube. You can learn a heck of a lot about a place long before you visit by watching videos. It sure beats reading page after page from some dusty library book!

I found that to be so true! When ML asked me for a website to explain the ketogenic diet I recommended youtube. If you really are interested in learning that is the best way in my opinion.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2019, 04:53:19 AM »

Note: you may NOT travel to Russia from Belarus if you are not a citizen of Belarus or Russia. That is because Belarus and Russia are in some aspects a "Union State" and cross border travel is considered to be domestic as opposed to international travel. You may transit, but you cannot leave the transit area of the airport to visit Belarus and then continue on to Russia at a later time. Also, if your flight transits via Minsk en route to Russia, while you do not need a transit visa, you still need a visa to enter the Russian Federation.

You're not listening, you've just been told the 5 day visa free rule has been scrapped, you now get 30 day visa free for Belarus, travel only through Minsk Airport, etc if course as before.

When the vids you show were done it no doubt was 5 days, but last year that changed. I visited Minsk last year for a weekend, like you say the people there seem genuine, sociable but also wary of foreigners if you're just walking along the street.

I am coming around to doing this venture in a different way than from behind a computer screen. I agree that the dating site method seems back to front. The work is done on all the ins & outs of a girl before there is even knowledge of whether there is chemistry there. I can't help but think that there are perhaps better ways.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline ML

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2019, 09:01:54 AM »
In general I believe that most men make the mistake of finding an interesting lady first, and then trying to jump thru all the hoops of where she lives, how to travel there, what her family is like, and the list could go on and on.

There are two different lines of thought.

1) Look for your ideal mate no matter where she lives.  This will either lead to a WOVO trip or a WMVM trip if you can find other gals in her area.

2) Determine which city you want to visit based on many factors both considering the current trip and future trips if you find and marry a gal from that city.  This city should be 'gal rich', i.e. many that meet your  criteria.

I am firmly in the second camp because I believe there is not just one nearly perfect gal for you, but that there are thousands.  So chose your location first.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2019, 09:04:51 AM »
Thank you, Trenchcoat. You are right. As of 2 January of 2019 it is possible to have a 30 day visa.

Thirty-day visa-free travel to BelarusCitizens of dozens of countries can take advantage of the 30-day visa-free travel to Belarus (to see the full list of countries, please click here).

Foreign nationals may visit any place in Belarus within 30 days of their visa-free stay. However, they must arrive and leave the country only through Minsk National Airport. The visa-free entry rules do not extend to any other international border checkpoints or airports of the country.

Belarus’ visa-free travel rules for foreign visitors do not apply to people flying to Belarus from or to Russia (these flights are considered internal and are not subject to border control).

Visa-free entry does not apply to foreigners coming to Belarus to work, do business, or study, if the period of activity exceeds 30 days.

To enter Belarus for 30 days visa-free foreign nationals must have the following documents:

• a valid passport or another substituting document for traveling abroad;

• financial means (at least two base amounts* denominated in dollars or Belarusian rubles for each day of stay, or 50 base amounts if the period of stay is 30 days);
    *since 1 January 2019 one base amount is Br25.5

• medical travel insurance valid across Belarus with a minimum medical coverage of  €10,000;

• Citizens of Vietnam, Haiti, Gambia, India, Lebanon, Namibia, Samoa must also have a valid multi-visa to the EU states or the Schengen Area with a stamp confirming the entry to their territory and plane tickets confirming the departure from Minsk National Airport within 30 days after the date of the entry.
  • Attention! 30-day visa-free stay in Belarus starts on the date the passport is stamped. If you arrive late in the evening and go through customs clearance before 24.00, this will be considered your first day of the visa-free stay.
  • Foreign citizens who plan to spend more than five business days in Belarus must register with the police indicating the address they are staying. If foreign visitors stay in a hotel, hostel, health resort or another facility of collective accommodation, the management of the above-mentioned facilities shall be responsible for the registration with the police.
  • Since 2 January 2019 foreign nationals and stateless persons who are temporarily staying in Belarus will be able to get registered on the website portal.gov.by without having to visit a local police office. This service is free of charge and will be available to foreigners who arrived in Belarus through checkpoints on the Belarusian border.
  • Source: http://www.belarus.by/en/travel/travel-visas/visa-free-travel-program-belarus
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 09:07:48 AM by mendeleyev »

Offline LAman

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2019, 09:21:04 AM »
Thanks for updating Mendy, I was wondering if you were just copy and pasting here without thinking!!
Actually, August 2018 started 30 day visa free travel.

You should just have post #11 removed, it is misinformation now.

The danger of you tube is how relevant info is.

I will also say along with you tube, TA is very informative in getting up-to-date info for traveling. I noticed 'Andreas'(Felix), posts in Belarus forum.

Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2019, 09:21:19 AM »
Thank you, Trenchcoat. You are right. As of 2 January of 2019 it is possible to have a 30 day visa.

Thirty-day visa-free travel to BelarusCitizens of dozens of countries can take advantage of the 30-day visa-free travel to Belarus (to see the full list of countries, please click here).

Foreign nationals may visit any place in Belarus within 30 days of their visa-free stay. However, they must arrive and leave the country only through Minsk National Airport. The visa-free entry rules do not extend to any other international border checkpoints or airports of the country.

Belarus’ visa-free travel rules for foreign visitors do not apply to people flying to Belarus from or to Russia (these flights are considered internal and are not subject to border control).

Visa-free entry does not apply to foreigners coming to Belarus to work, do business, or study, if the period of activity exceeds 30 days.

To enter Belarus for 30 days visa-free foreign nationals must have the following documents:

• a valid passport or another substituting document for traveling abroad;

• financial means (at least two base amounts* denominated in dollars or Belarusian rubles for each day of stay, or 50 base amounts if the period of stay is 30 days);
    *since 1 January 2019 one base amount is Br25.5

• medical travel insurance valid across Belarus with a minimum medical coverage of  €10,000;

• Citizens of Vietnam, Haiti, Gambia, India, Lebanon, Namibia, Samoa must also have a valid multi-visa to the EU states or the Schengen Area with a stamp confirming the entry to their territory and plane tickets confirming the departure from Minsk National Airport within 30 days after the date of the entry.
  • Attention! 30-day visa-free stay in Belarus starts on the date the passport is stamped. If you arrive late in the evening and go through customs clearance before 24.00, this will be considered your first day of the visa-free stay.
  • Foreign citizens who plan to spend more than five business days in Belarus must register with the police indicating the address they are staying. If foreign visitors stay in a hotel, hostel, health resort or another facility of collective accommodation, the management of the above-mentioned facilities shall be responsible for the registration with the police.
  • Since 2 January 2019 foreign nationals and stateless persons who are temporarily staying in Belarus will be able to get registered on the website portal.gov.by without having to visit a local police office. This service is free of charge and will be available to foreigners who arrived in Belarus through checkpoints on the Belarusian border.
  • Source: http://www.belarus.by/en/travel/travel-visas/visa-free-travel-program-belarus

Sounds like a lot rigamaro. Georgia has none of this, medical insurance, registering with police and proof of financial means.

Online krimster2

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2019, 09:28:16 AM »
soviet thinking still remains in "some" places
the medical insurance is a scam that goes to someone's pocket, likely "Jr's"
it's a cheap E-ticket - so enjoy all the "rides"

Offline Hammer2722

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2019, 09:05:21 AM »
This is awesome! My wife is from Minsk. I'm looking forward to reading this thread in its entirety. Thanks Mendy!!!
every ship can be a minesweeper at least once...

Offline msmob

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2019, 10:16:20 AM »
Thanks for updating Mendy, I was wondering if you were just copy and pasting here without thinking!!
Actually, August 2018 started 30 day visa free travel.

You should just have post #11 removed, it is misinformation now.

:)))

He may have had it delete - as post 11 is MINE !

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540892
Total Topics: 20846
Most Online Today: 1958
Most Online Ever: 12701