It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Movies about Soviet collapse  (Read 5661 times)

Offline roykirk

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Movies about Soviet collapse
« on: December 22, 2008, 09:39:10 AM »
I've enjoyed watching some classic Russian movies recently after some recommendations from my girlfriend, including "Moscow does not believe it tears," and "The irony of fate."  I was wondering if anyone has good recommendations for movies that depict the time of the collapse of the Soviet Union?  My girlfriend couldn't think of any off the top of her head.  I think a great plot would be a view of the time through the eyes of an actor playing Gorbachev, as well as a view of what the average Russian experienced.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 09:58:02 AM by roykirk »

Offline GoodOlBoy

• Trips: > 10
Re: Movies about Soviet collapse
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 09:46:01 AM »
Hello Roykirk.

A little of your topic, but did you see "Ballad of a Soldier" yet?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052600/

My wife cries everytime we watch this movie. We got it (DVD) from the public library for free, I copied it and returned it.

It is considered by many Russians to be a classic, almost part of the Russian soul.
“For God and country, Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo......... Geronimo E.K.I.A.”

Offline groovlstk

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 10:00:40 AM »
Ballad of a Soldier and Moscow Does not Believe in Tears are both fantastic movies. We also loved The Diamond Arm.

You might have trouble finding a Russian movie made during the time of the fall of the SU as I'd imagine the Russian film industry was in disarray, like the rest of the country. Anything made during the resurgence of the last decade would likely have Putin's revisionist hand on it.

Offline Phil dAmore

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 11:18:46 AM »
I would also suggest viewing " Back in the USSR".  Although it is an American film it was made in Moscow right after Peristroika when things were just opening up. 

Favorite line in the film:

" How can you promise to get that man a FAX machine?  There are only 3 of them in all of Russia!"

Also well worth viewing is 'Брат'.  Filmed entirely on Vassilyevsky Island in (then) Leningrad.
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. . as you grow older, it will avoid you.-- Winston Churchill

Offline krimster

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 11:58:26 AM »
"Brat" is one of my favorite movies!  Great at recreating the ambiance of the period, there's probably a sub-titled version available in the US and Europe, I highly recommend it.  My second favorite Russian film is "Admiral Nakhimov" I watched it for the first time on a Russian TV channel in my apartment in Sevastopol.  The setting for the movie was roughly two miles away and visible through the window as I watched the movie.  Sweet!

So Phil?  How's life in the USA, what do you like here, what do you miss from Roo-see-ya?

Offline roykirk

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 01:09:28 PM »
Anything made during the resurgence of the last decade would likely have Putin's revisionist hand on it.

That's too bad, but you're probably right.  It has the makings of a good Hollywood movie, let alone Russian.  Anthony Hopkins as the tortured Gorby, trying to hold it all together, Russell Crowe as Boris Yeltsin, and a brief cameo for Kevin Costner as a young KGB agent named Putin beating political troublemakers in Leningrad.   ;D
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 01:11:46 PM by roykirk »

Offline Shadow

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 03:46:26 PM »
I would recommend you get hold of a series called 'Brigada' which shows the rise of a 'business' group starting from a young soldier returning from Afghanistan. Though made low-budget it depicts the styles in clothing, cars and surroundings of these times. Also it gives a very close to reality insight in to the 'Russian Mafia'.
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline Phil dAmore

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 08:30:35 PM »
So Phil?  How's life in the USA, what do you like here, what do you miss from Roo-see-ya?

(Apologies for going  :offtopic:, this won't take long)

It's not bad I guess.  Everything works likes it's supposed to, the mail arrives on time and unopened, there's plenty of parking and although there are a LOT of idiots on the road most people seem to have a basic idea on how to operate and park a motor vehicle.  The weather is wonderful here in Arizona and it's great to be around old friends and family.

What do I miss about Russia?  Pretty much everything.  Life in Russia was many things but boring and predictable was not among them.  Oh, there were some things that could be counted upon such as bureaucratic bullsh!t but that is pretty much a constant in any country. 

I miss seeing throngs of people walking outside and riding public transit. I miss being able to walk down the street or sitting in a park drinking a beer and not being hassled about it by some cop with an itchy TASER finger.

I miss the endless parade of beautiful women of all ages.

I REALLY miss Nina although I do not miss living with her. ??? (That is a post for another time)

Don't worry about avoiding temptation. . as you grow older, it will avoid you.-- Winston Churchill

Offline roykirk

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 08:40:23 PM »
On a related topic, the most recent issue of Russian Life magazine published an article on the 10 best Hollywood movies about Russia and Russians.  Their list:

1.  Ninotchka (1939)
2.  The Russians are coming, The Russians are coming (1966)
3.  Anastasia (1956)
4.  Moscow on the Hudson (1984)
5.  Doctor Strangelove (1963)
6.  The Scarlett Empress (1934)
7.  Reds (1981)
8.  The Hunt for Red October (1990)
9.  Romanoff and Juliet (1961)
10. Love and Death (1975)

Offline OlgaH

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 09:11:27 PM »
A very educational film "Little Vera" (Маленькая Вера)  ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Vera

http://www.suite101.com/blog/slavophile/little_vera_russian_movie

Offline Phil dAmore

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 02:20:22 PM »
Olga:

What a perfect film 'Little Vera' was... the kind Nina loved the best. 

Most of the time people are sitting around a kitchen table drinking, crying, or fighting.

Real life in Soviet Russia?

I never could make Nina understand that film was a type of escapism.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 02:22:19 PM by Phil dAmore »

Offline Mark8000

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2008, 03:12:06 PM »
       I think an appropriate movie for the members of this forum would be the 1989 Russian movie "International Girl" or  "Interdevochka".  It is about a young Russian women named Tanya, who works as a nurse during the day, and as a "foreign-currency" prostitute by night-  working the Western tourists and businessmen.

She eventually marries a man from Sweden, who comes to Russia looking for a bride (sound familiar ?), moves to Sweden, but eventually returns to mother Russia due to her homesickness.

In one scene, Tanya's mother asks her if she loves her soon to be husband. Tanya replies that she will come to love him.

Offline UTRO

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2008, 10:10:27 PM »
Although not 'Collapse of the Soviet Union Films', I have to recommend some films that Sveta burned for me RK .... amongst dozens!!

1. Barber of Siberia
2. Dog's Heart
2. Russian Hunting... and the others in the series including Russian Icefishing!
3. Nightwatch
4. Admiral.... just released in theatres a month ago, but already on DVD ;)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 10:33:14 PM by Utrobina »

Offline OlgaH

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2008, 10:19:52 PM »
Olga:

What a perfect film 'Little Vera' was... the kind Nina loved the best. 

Most of the time people are sitting around a kitchen table drinking, crying, or fighting.

Real life in Soviet Russia?

I never could make Nina understand that film was a type of escapism.

Escapism? It is a sad part of real life even in post soviet Russia.

Offline OlgaH

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2008, 10:45:11 PM »

She eventually marries a man from Sweden, who comes to Russia looking for a bride (sound familiar ?), moves to Sweden, but eventually returns to mother Russia due to her homesickness.

Tanya died in a car accident.

In one scene, Tanya's mother asks her if she loves her soon to be husband. Tanya replies that she will come to love him.

Tanya did not hide her true intention, she openly said her mother that she wants to have a good and easy life.

There is a scene when Tanya tries to convince her mother that there is nothing wrong to be a prostitute and prostitution is a profession as any other profession. When Tanya's mother found out that her daughter was a prostitute she committed suicide.

Offline UTRO

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2008, 10:50:13 PM »
Oh and don't forget about Lilja 4-ever
Okay, it's a Swedish film. But it is a portrayal of a young girl during the time of the collapse of the Soviet Union, Lithuania or Estonia I believe? The main character is played by a young 15 year old Russian actress, Oksana Akinsjina. I'm sure Olga knows of this film. Apparently it left Russian audiences speechless and crying. Definitely a 'make you think' film......
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 11:28:12 PM by Utrobina »

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2008, 12:57:02 AM »
Wow, Pasternak's "Dr Zhivago" was a blockbuster, surprised it didn't make that list.  That is my all time fav movie...period.

THere is a move called "Papa' about a young violin player from a small Russian town who lives with his father and they move to Moscow so that the boy can study at the Conservatory.  "Papa" won awards at the International Film festival.  Made in 2004, it is set in the early 1920s and is very nicely done.  In Russia but with English subtitles so that you can enjoy the movie and practice your Russian listening skills at the same time. 

You can see it here: http://russianreport.wordpress.com/russian-music/movie-%d0%bf%d0%b0%d0%bf%d0%b0-dad/, there are 11 segments of about 9 minutes each so just click on the next when the one playing is ending.
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2008, 06:32:41 AM »
Wow, Pasternak's "Dr Zhivago" was a blockbuster, surprised it didn't make that list. 
I'd say because it has as much to do with Movies about Soviet collapse as this one ;).
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline dispozo

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2008, 04:51:57 PM »

HBO made a film called "Pu-239", which I liked.

I also have watched "The Thief", I also liked this film.
8/22/08 I-129F mailed VSC
8/23/08 I-129F arrives at VCS
8/25/08 NOA1
1/21/09 NOA2
2/11/09 Medical   Passed!!
2/23/09 Interview Passed!!!
3/7/09 Arrived in USA!!!
5/3/09 Married!!!!

Offline groovlstk

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2008, 05:13:05 PM »
HBO made a film called "Pu-239", which I liked.

I thought PU-239 was fantastic, you know the filmmakers did a good job when you find yourself cheering for a guy who's trying to sell weapons grade plutonium to the Russian mafia  :-X

Offline dispozo

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2008, 05:22:26 PM »

I thought PU-239 was fantastic, you know the filmmakers did a good job when you find yourself cheering for a guy who's trying to sell weapons grade plutonium to the Russian mafia  :-X

I can agree with that, the film was very well done.
8/25/08 NOA1
1/21/09 NOA2
3/7/09 Arrived in USA!!!
5/3/09 Married!!!!

Offline Phil dAmore

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2008, 05:24:24 PM »
I also have watched "The Thief", I also liked this film

I also enjoyed that one, but as in many Russian films, it just seemed to... end.  No real resolution, no tidy wrap up and most certainly no happy ending.

Well-made film though.  Nice and gritty.

Offline dispozo

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2008, 05:46:20 PM »

I also enjoyed that one, but as in many Russian films, it just seemed to... end.  No real resolution, no tidy wrap up and most certainly no happy ending.

Well-made film though.  Nice and gritty.

I like a film that leaves me thinking and wondering.....
8/25/08 NOA1
1/21/09 NOA2
3/7/09 Arrived in USA!!!
5/3/09 Married!!!!

Offline Gator

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2019, 09:27:23 AM »
I finally watched Pu-239 with my wife and stepson.  It is available on HBO. 

English speaking actors yet everything else is Russia circa 1995.  Two men from vastly different lives intersect and discover they share much. 

My wife says it it portrays 1995 Russia exactly how she remembered it.  The music score consists of popular Russian songs from that time.  She told me her story of when she went to a restaurant to meet a friend  only to discover police and blood everywhere following a Mafia-style multiple execution in the wee hours of the previous evening.   

She did not enjoy the film because it reminded her of how difficult life was for Russians in those times.  She managed to do well because she still earned income as a runway model and her husband had "big money."  Putin became President in 2000 and almost everything improved. 

Offline ML

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2019, 10:14:03 AM »
Putin became President in 2000 and almost everything improved.

Oil prices.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 1972
Total: 1982

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM