It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: A Day in the Life of the Soviet Union - Updated Twenty Four Years .......  (Read 13473 times)

Offline jone

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: A Day in the Life of the Soviet Union - Updated Twenty Four Years .......
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2015, 10:16:50 PM »
One slight amendment to my report.  I took the bus yesterday.  It was very interesting.  You hop on the bus.  Later on a lady walks up and down the bus and collects the fare. Of specific note was that almost all the people riding the bus were Kazak.  Almost no one with Russian features.  Then, two Russian youths get on the bus and are actually shoved a little by the Kazaks.  There is really an underlying tension here that I had not noticed but that N has picked up on immediately.  I should note that we did not feel this in Kostanay.  Just here in Astana. 

One other note:  I was told by security at the airport that only those holding a US Passport would be admitted to the embassy.  (I was really never admitted to the embassy, just to a secure holding area.)  The reason they would not admit N is that she still holds a Russian passport.  I should also note that I was required to register with the Kazaks before I could register with the Americans.

While the embassy certainly has rules, I was amazed that I was put into a holding area, only to be talked to like a prisoner.  It was a dumb move on the part of the consular officer.

Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2015, 01:22:21 AM »
Years back buses in Russia collected fares that way, too. Most have gone to turnstiles with card readers.

Excellent report, and I believe every jot and tittle. What you described was Russia in the 80s and 90s. I recall telling friends, who could not fathom it then, how simple things like collecting a package at the Post, obtaining a waiver for an interview, or even something simple like buying camera film, were often tasks that could fill an entire day, if not drag on for several days.
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline jone

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2015, 04:41:16 AM »
Mendy,

I contemplated about what to call this thread (as it was unraveling).  It is quite appropriate to call it "The Soviet Union Revisited".    But I have talked to many Kazakhs.  I am convinced that they are making headway.  I am told that after the fall of the Soviet Union, Kazakhstan was left with no government infrastructure.  Everything worked on a barter and trade system, with the person in ultimate control receiving the largest bribes.  (Hmm.  That does sound vaguely familiar.)  The difference here is that progress is being made.  The ruler for life here has made infrastructure his life's avocation.  It shows.  I am told that the fine that I paid of $120 to extend my visa would have been $500 just one year ago. 

The thing that I could never figure out in dealing with these people is whether they were really extending the hand of friendship expecting a bribe to make things work.  I asked my translator that a couple of times.  She mentioned that I might want to give the inspector who helped me out in court, a tip.  But I saw that as a losing proposition.  If the guy wasn't on the take, then I wind up in the clink.  What I really needed was someone to grease the skids, so to speak.  I never found that person.  And, in a way, I'm glad I didn't.

Getting the dogs back across the border to Russia was a true brainstorm on the part of my beloved.  She knew that once there, we could argue that they came in, they should be able to go out when it came time to fly out of Russia.  And if we need to grease some palms here, the methods are known.  When it came time for crossing the border back into Russia, she let the dogs out of their cages so that they were roaming free in the car.  Naturally, when the border guard came to inspect the car, he was barked at by two angry miniature pinschers and took things no farther.  She did not even need to show any paperwork.

I am in my last five hours here in KStan.   I actually contemplated whether I should write this thread after I was home in Los Angeles.  It is filled with information that can identify me.  But, in truth, I have appreciated the Kazakh people.  I believe that they are trying to make things better.  And I see a sense of nationality and pride. 

I have asked many people who have Russian features (it is quite easy to discern the difference.  And there doesn't seem to be any intermarrying here) whether their families originally came from Russia.  Very few, if any, can report that their families back three generations have ever lived in Russia. 

There is minimal drunkenness here.  The only true drunk we saw was our driver who drove us down from Chelyabinsk to Kostanay.  My woman was terrified every time he passed a car.  There is no pork on the menus.  It is a Muslim society.  Drinking is forbidden on the streets.   Although there are plenty of restaurants that have bars in them.  You can buy a bottle of beer in the airport.  On the bus, because I was obviously a foreigner, people got up to give me their seat.  I, of course, refused, but instead did the same for any babushka who came along.

Unless someone is here for business, there is absolutely no tourism.  The travelers I met in the hotel in Kostanay were either there for business or in the military.  When I have time, on the plane (assuming I get on) I will move a bunch more pictures off my cell phone and share them. 

Kazakhstan has no operational military.  The border guard and police of various categories are used to protect the population, but they could not defend against an attack.  One wonders what would happen if ISIS became operational here.  I'm certain that Russia would be called on to intervene.  As Gator alluded to, that scenario may play out to tighten Russia's hold on this regional ally.  I would not put it past the Russians. 

This all folds into the reactions I see the Kazakhs giving the Russian looking population.  While Kazakhstan may wish to be fully independent, the Bear to the north is awake and is looking for fresh meat.  Horse meat may well be on the menu.  Russia has treated Kazakhstan and all of the Stani nations as poor relations.  Even more so than the Russian  (or European) looking Ukrainians.   Rather than treating them as comrades in arms, the Kazakhs have never been taken seriously by the Russians and their only escape from Putin is the tight rope that Lukashenko walks. 

I have often wondered how the non-European Russians are treated by Moscow.  If it is anything like the feelings that sense coming from the Kazakhs, it cannot be good.  My beloved has a slightly Asiatic caste to her eyes.  I find the look both compelling and exotic.  My friends cannot say enough about how beautiful she is, a green eyed, light haired beauty with slightly slanted eyes.  I sense that she would also be discriminated against in the power centers of Russia.  I'm glad that she has a better future where her obvious qualities are extolled.

My travels through Russia and KStan have left me over 9 kilos lighter than when I left.  I realize that it is a combination of walking and not eating the constant sugar that permeates our American food.  There is also a lack of preservatives.  And, to be honest, I have skipped a few meals, here and there.

I'll finish this report with the reason for it all, my beautiful Russian woman whose eyes I am transfixed by every fortunate day I am with her. 

Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2015, 08:43:02 AM »
You are absolutely correct in how someone from the Stans or folk from the darker skinned regions are treated in the European cities of Russia. Russians are generally blind to their rampant racism.

I sometimes have to smother a smirk or downright sneer when I hear old Soviets prattle on about how the CCCP was a multi ethnic society. It was nothing of the melting pot, or mixing bowl, that they pretend. Ethnic Slavic blood ruled for the vast majority, the rest were just one more protest away from having the tanks roll in to suppress any dissent.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 02:08:35 PM by mendeleyev »
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2015, 10:38:12 AM »
Jon, your dogs, at least the one in the picture with N, look a little large for miniature pinschers.  Maybe not full-blooded.

Also want to thank you big time for taking the time and effort to give us this trip report in real-time.  I could not have done it.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline jone

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2015, 02:00:32 PM »
ML,

You are absolutely right.  Iggy, the fawn colored Min Pin is large for his breed.   His coloring is also quite rare.  But I have seen other Min Pins of the same size.  The smaller one, Charlie, is closer to the normal size for the breed.  It is amazing how Iggy is extremely intelligent while Charlie is as stupid as they come. 

N has time on her hands so she is out buying them snow outfits today.   While they were not her dogs originally, she probably loves them more than I do. 

Mendy, my take on the whole ethnic Russian thing that Putin has been talking about - and the suppression of the Russian ethnicity in whatever form that takes in FSU countries - is a direct backlash for the boot that was on the throat of these countries and the mandatory Sovietization of their societies.  Russians and Russia is spurned only to the extent that doesn't attract reprisal.  If the threat of reprisal weren't there, I'm sure the native peoples would be much more emphatic in their rejection of the Russians in their lands.

Putins claim that the greatest tragedy was the breakup of the Soviet Union is one that falls on deaf ears as soon as one travels outside the Rodina.  And the ethnic Russians are minorities in any country not named Russia.  While those Russian minorities would be more than happy to be back in power, I can say that such reunification attempts would be made with bloodshed.  And, having seen the abuse taken by Ukraine, I would doubt that Putin would have any luck with the Baltic countries, the obvious next target.

(I feel pretty bold writing this as I am sitting at a pizza joint in the Abu Dhabi airport.  The last thing I did before leaving Kazakhstan was to get a pin that says "I love Astana".  I pinned it on my laptop case and took a picture of it and sent it off through Viber to N.  We both had a great laugh. )

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2015, 02:13:33 PM »
I am impressed that you visited both the old capital, Almaty, and the new one, Astana. Did you snap any shots of those plentiful billboards and signs with the image of the president for life?

Almaty is the birthplace of the apple, perhaps the original Garden of Eden. There are more scientific organizations studying the apple in Almaty than anywhere else in the world.

Offline ML

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2015, 02:33:40 PM »
ML,

You are absolutely right.  Iggy, the fawn colored Min Pin is large for his breed.   His coloring is also quite rare.  But I have seen other Min Pins of the same size.  The smaller one, Charlie, is closer to the normal size for the breed.  It is amazing how Iggy is extremely intelligent while Charlie is as stupid as they come.

Way back when, I did some research and chose a miniature schnauzer because of several reputed characteristics including intelligence.

However, my doggie turned out to be somewhat retarded . . . although very sweet.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline jone

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2015, 03:08:42 PM »
No one wants to admit that Nazarbayev has cancer.  We hear more about it outside Kazakhstan than they do inside.  For the record, I did not visit Almaty.  Too far to the South.   

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2015, 04:21:00 AM »
I have often wondered how the non-European Russians are treated by Moscow.  If it is anything like the feelings that sense coming from the Kazakhs, it cannot be good.  My beloved has a slightly Asiatic caste to her eyes. I find the look both compelling and exotic.  My friends cannot say enough about how beautiful she is, a green eyed, light haired beauty with slightly slanted eyes.  I sense that she would also be discriminated against in the power centers of Russia.  I'm glad that she has a better future where her obvious qualities are extolled.

Our member Aloe has exactly the same sort of features, and was quite explicit about how differently she felt she was treated compared with those who had more regular Russian features.  This is despite the fact that, by anyone else's standards, she's rather gorgeous!  She now lives in Belgium, and I hazard a guess that she feels rather more accepted there, especially since graduating from University last year.

Offline jone

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2015, 08:48:44 AM »
A quick update:  What happens when you turn your woman loose with the responsibility of watching the dogs in a cold climate?

Offline Donhollio

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2015, 08:24:39 PM »
 Nice story Jone, enjoyed reading it. All the best in the future with your gal.

Offline JayH

« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2015, 08:36:02 PM »
A quick update:  What happens when you turn your woman loose with the responsibility of watching the dogs in a cold climate?

They go shopping?  New coat--& Boots !!! ;D
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline jone

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2015, 07:36:06 AM »
They go shopping?  New coat--& Boots !!! ;D

Funniest thing.  I sent N money this past week for whatever she might need it for.  We were talking this morning and she said that she soon would need more.  Not bothered, I said, fine.  Then I asked her what the money that I sent over was spent on.   

Jon:  So what did you spend the money on I sent?
N:     I got some new boots.
Jon:  We got boots in Astana.
N:      Those were boots for fall.  These are boots for winter.

Now, personally, I was hoping I would see her in a new dress or maybe some lacy underthings.  But for any readers out there, this is reality of Eastern European women.  (N reads this thread.  When we were in Astana, we did get things other than boots and coat.)

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 9
Guests: 1967
Total: 1976

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM