It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Three weeks in Kiev  (Read 5453 times)

Offline bluesky56

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
Three weeks in Kiev
« on: October 17, 2018, 05:42:07 PM »
I spent three weeks in Kiev during which was independence day. Got to watch the tanks roll down the street was pretty interesting.

I had a flat in Podil and love that part of the city. I have friends in Podil that helped me find a flat before I left, $22.00 a day.

Learning how to use metro was interesting.

Spent most of three weeks with a woman I meet on EM. She was exactly like her pictures on EM, she was exactly like the woman I had been talking to for a couple months on whaapp. She is just a little younger than me and speaks pretty good English, I speak basic Russian. Had dinner with her the first night in Kiev and we hit it off great.

Kiev is a great city with a lot of green area’s, forest within the city. I’m a mountain bike lover and found a lot of great trails to ride. She rode right along with me her first time really riding a bike, skirt on and all she did a great job.

She is very conservative but that’s fine. I grew up and had Wood Stock, rock and roll, ect..  she grew up under stick Russian rule. This alone made for some pretty interesting conversations. She never asked for money, in fact, gave me hell if I was about to spend to much money on something.

Got to see the bridges that were never finished in Kiev, crazy stuff.

I go back in Dec. for a week to see her.

I also went thru a dating agency in Kiev, 8 pretty much blind dates. This I arranged months before I left for Kiev. All the ladies where fine just not what I was looking for. Won’t do this again although I consider the owner of the agency a friend to this day. I had already met the lady from EM and that might have clouded my view of things as we just clicked from the first hour we met so other ladies just where not as interesting.

No bad experiences at all Kiev is a safe city long as you avoid the tourist traps, new city center.

I meet a lot of great people, watched a lot of first time meeting between older western men and much younger Ukrainian woman. Loved to sit at McDonalds in the port and watch this taking place.

I’m very happy I got on the plane it was a great experience.

My advice for what it is worth. Get off the PPL websites, check out EM website and give it a try and get on the plane.

I have a lot of pictures I will try and post later.

Offline DaveNY

• Trips: > 10
Re: Three weeks in Kiev
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 05:59:26 PM »
Excellent post. Good to see someone enjoyed their trip. Best of luck with future visits.

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 07:59:59 PM »
Thanks for your interesting post.

But please, please . . . show some respect to the country you visited and learn how to spell the names of the cities in the translated Ukrainian version.  It is Kyiv.

I can't imagine any woman you met there having been raised under 'strict' Russian.  I guess that was the word you misspelled.

I didn't understand your comment about avoiding the 'new city center.'  Where is it and why should it be avoided?
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline LAman

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 11:14:27 PM »

I didn't understand your comment about avoiding the 'new city center.'  Where is it and why should it be avoided?

He stayed in Podil. So avoid Khreshchatyk/Maiden areas!!! The new city centre!!
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline BillyB

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 11:27:33 PM »
Spent most of three weeks with a woman I meet on EM. She was exactly like her pictures on EM, she was exactly like the woman I had been talking to for a couple months on whaapp.

I also went thru a dating agency in Kiev, 8 pretty much blind dates. This I arranged months before I left for Kiev. All the ladies where fine just not what I was looking for. Won’t do this again...

I'm not surprised you hit it off with the girl you spent 2 months communicating with prior to your trip compared to the blind dates. Some guys refuse to communicate with ladies before a visit thinking just showing up at a marriage agency will get them a girl.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline LAman

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 11:31:28 PM »
Thanks for your interesting post.

But please, please . . . show some respect to the country you visited and learn how to spell the names of the cities in the translated Ukrainian version.  It is Kyiv.

ML, when will UIA show respect and  use the 'translated Ukrainian version' on their site??? Use 'Kyiv' and you get no results.

Only on the train site do you need to use names of cities in Ukrainian language.

Offline SteveInBoston

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 08:05:12 AM »
And Google maps -  Kyiv

Offline SteveInBoston

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 08:13:41 PM »

He stayed in Podil. So avoid Khreshchatyk/Maiden areas!!! The new city centre!!

Odd.  In May/June I spent a few days there.  I don't recall getting beaten or mugged.  Or waking up with no pants...well...except the next morning in the hotel room... 

Ok, perhaps  :tmi:

Offline LAman

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 11:27:20 PM »
And Google maps -  Kyiv

If you use KIEV in search it gives result as Ukraine and yes on map shows Kyiv. But in 'quick facts' it uses 'Kiev'. So google maps shows both.

Offline LAman

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 11:29:34 PM »
Odd.  In May/June I spent a few days there.  I don't recall getting beaten or mugged.  Or waking up with no pants...well...except the next morning in the hotel room... 

Ok, perhaps  :tmi:

You did not get my humor. Podil is old historic area of Kiev, so maiden area must be newer area. ))

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 10:39:04 AM »

ML, when will UIA show respect and  use the 'translated Ukrainian version' on their site??? Use 'Kyiv' and you get no results.

Only on the train site do you need to use names of cities in Ukrainian language.

UIA probably uses the Kiev because that’s how it is listed for international flights, just as Beijing International is listed as Pek.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline LAman

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2018, 02:25:20 PM »
UIA probably uses the Kiev because that’s how it is listed for international flights, just as Beijing International is listed as Pek.

They use KBP or much less IEV. It is not Kiev or Kyiv International, it is Boryspil International.

A step in  right direction, skyscanner now uses both Kyiv or Kiev as destination for capital of Ukraine.

But UIA gives 'no search results' for Kyiv.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2018, 01:34:10 AM »
I love Maiden ("my-dawn") as it is the heart of Ukraine with Independence Square, and where the 2014 "Euromaiden" (Євромайдан) protests took place.

Just two days ago I corrected/lectured an American visitor who apparently had been watching too much RT and tried to interject that the current government was the result of a "coup." I didn't know whether to laugh or bitch slap him, and was tempted to do both, but helped him understand that the former president fled the country and then his own majority party in Parliament, the Party of Regions, removed him from power.

Today Yanukonvict lives in a very wealthy and secluded area of very private and very expensive dachas outside Moscow. His closest neighbors include Russian Orthodox Patriarch Kryill (along with his expensive wristwatch collection). Life must be tough.

The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2018, 01:37:17 AM »
The economy is not doing well and it is sad to see some of the shops and restaurants along Khreshchatyk Street begin to shutter their doors.
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline msmob

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2018, 02:37:15 AM »

Today Yanukonvict lives in a very wealthy and secluded area of very private and very expensive dachas outside Moscow. His closest neighbors include Russian Orthodox Patriarch Kryill (along with his expensive wristwatch collection). Life must be tough.

He also has a place up in the Sochi mountain resorts, as has President Lukashouldgo of Belarus.....

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2018, 08:41:29 AM »
Blue Sky, how old are you and you're girl you met? I'm guessing from what you say you are at least near 50 odd or older. My thoughts are that generally thd older the woman thd more better brought up they are. They were brought up knowing the worth of little things and not to think of wants. I think the more younger a FSW is the more they have had their eyes opened to wanting this, that and the other and their expectations raised even if having lived in economically poor times. I think whether a girl was brought up under the USSR which was closed off to western influence or under the independent states, Ukraine, etc affects this quite a bit.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline msmob

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2018, 01:44:35 PM »
Blue Sky, how old are you and you're girl you met? I'm guessing from what you say you are at least near 50 odd or older. My thoughts are that generally thd older the woman thd more better brought up they are. They were brought up knowing the worth of little things and not to think of wants. I think the more younger a FSW is the more they have had their eyes opened to wanting this, that and the other and their expectations raised even if having lived in economically poor times. I think whether a girl was brought up under the USSR which was closed off to western influence or under the independent states, Ukraine, etc affects this quite a bit.

More tosh, from Trench

Listen matey, I'm an 'ol git and the FSU ladies I've had the pleasure to meet were ALL adults when the Soviet Union fell.

They are usually better informed about western brands - clothes/ perfumes/ make-up than their western counterparts.

Online krimster2

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2018, 02:01:58 PM »
"They are usually better informed about western brands - clothes/ perfumes/ make-up than their western counterparts."

the things you want and CANNOT have
are more REAL to us
then the things we DO have

Offline bluesky56

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2018, 08:20:58 PM »
Trenchcoat - yes late 50's both of us. She speaks fairly good English. For a lady her age to ride a mountain bike on trails wearing a dress was fun to see. We had a great time. She bought a flat just before 2014 and it's now worth less than 1/2 of what she paid for it. She is Russian grew up just outside Moscow married young, a guy who remodeled flats in Moscow they expanded the business to Kyiv doing the same, he passed away and she stayed in Kyiv.

If you want to use Kyiv instead of Kiev sounds good to me.

Mendeleyev - there are a lot of empty shops, buildings under construction (no work being done now on them)  that have been that way for years from what I was told, big bridges never finished. The old part of Kyiv (Podil) I loved the new center I avoided much as possible. The economy for some seems to be good you see a lot of new Land Rovers, Bendz's, American cars other high-end cars but for the majority in Kyiv not so good. They had raised metro fee's everyone was complaining about that.

Seeing rocket launchers, tanks rolling down the street during Inpendepance day was different, exciting and a bit scary as we don't see that happening here.

Glad I got on the plane and went I will be going back soon.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 09:05:58 PM by bluesky56 »

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540892
Total Topics: 20846
Most Online Today: 1958