It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: My Angel (WARNING - Sappy Post to Follow)  (Read 3765 times)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
My Angel (WARNING - Sappy Post to Follow)
« on: June 06, 2007, 08:20:51 PM »
Just wanted to share a little story with you about a VERY special moment with my daughter yesterday. I need to confess, the full impact of the moment did not occur to me until the next day when I had some time to reflect on the events and note the depth and tenderness of the moment.

My daughter is now 3-1/2 and is VERY active. She has three older brothers who involve her in any and all of their activities.

So this weekend she was out in the backyard. Our home abuts a wild greenbelt in the back which leads to a running stream, and we see tons of wildlife regularly, including fox, coyotes, and the rabbits they haven't consumed... yet.

Anyway, my daughter and two of her brothers were in the back and playing near the wood rail fence which separates civilization (our yard) from the wild (its really not so bad  ;) ). While playing on the wood fence, Katya manages to brush up against some of the rough-hewn rails and it resulted in some medium-severity splinters.

When I get home from work on Monday, the splinters are significant enough that Dad gets drafted into splinter duty - pull out the needle and tweezers - sterilize the needle - and go to work on the two or three splinters big enough to be visible. Of course there is the obligatory screaming and tears, with eventual calm setting in.

So now all is well - or so we thought - UNTIL.... 24 hours later, the smaller splinters on the underside (tender side) of her forearm are now making their presence known with maybe 20 or 30 small red marks - a few more significant than others.

Dad comes home again (Mom is NOT 'up' for splinter duty), only this time we recognize the magnitude of the 'surgery' and decide it requires a MAJOR distraction. Up comes "Little Mermaid" on the video while at the same time, out comes the needle and tweezers once again (surreptitiously, of course). With Mom pointing out Flounder's appearance and Arial, Dad is plucking out the splinters as quickly and efficiently as possible - with again some of the obligatory screaming and squirming.

Finally, with most of the major surgery completed, we decide to cleanse the area with soap, warm water, and a washcloth. Dad once again goes to work with a thorough scrubbing of the area - and I suspect it probably did hurt like hell.

Once finished - and with tears still welling up in her little eyes - my daughter looks up at me - lays her head in the very same hands which had been scrubbing her wounds so vigorously just moments earlier -  and tells me, miraculously, "Daddy, I love you SO much!"

I have no idea what possessed her to say that at that particular time - and as I think about it now, I feel so incredibly touched and privileged to have such a daughter. She is, of course, the product of a loving, attentive, and wonderful Mom - and her loving attitude is a direct result of the model she has enjoyed since the day she was born.

I am truly blessed.

When I read some of the posts which question what "this" is all about - I will forever remember this moment of tenderness and clarity.

- Dan
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 08:22:36 PM by Admin »

Offline Daveman

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
Re: My Angel (WARNING - Sappy Post to Follow)
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 08:24:56 PM »
Dan, absolutely beautiful... both the story and your Angel..
The duty of a true patriot is to protect his country from its government. -- Thomas Paine

Offline Sohkay

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 08:36:57 PM »
Krasiva angelochek!

Yes Dan, they are so much a part of what we do.

They become our reason for living.

Offline Jazzyclassy

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 10:16:27 PM »
Aww that is so sweet

you got such a beautiful cute little Angel   :angel: for sure:)

Kids are so important, they are truly blessing. It is amazing how sincere and true they are with such an energy and at the same time they are so innocent  we need to defend them.

I enjoyed the story as well :)

Offline Voyageur

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 04:45:45 AM »
Dan, it is really great what the innocence of a child brings to your life - the love and the joy. Thanks for sharing this memory. I am sure that everyone who has raised children can relate to it.

P.S. Not to bring anyone down, but there will probably be less fond memories around when your "angels" are "grown-up" to be to the ages 13 - 16.  :-[. I speak from experience here. :'(

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 05:03:30 AM »
Dan, it is really great what the innocence of a child brings to your life - the love and the joy. Thanks for sharing this memory. I am sure that everyone who has raised children can relate to it.

P.S. Not to bring anyone down, but there will probably be less fond memories around when your "angels" are "grown-up" to be to the ages 13 - 16.  :-[. I speak from experience here. :'(

Yeah - as I mentioned, I have 3 sons - two of which are in the age category you mention. Actually, the 16 year old has recently 'turned a corner' and is suddenly much more responsible ( I *think*). The middle son has always been pretty easy.

My sons have their challenges, but are mostly really good kids. Their Mom is the biggest problem - for them and for me.

I guess that is why I am so impressed when I see the differences in the kind of Mom Olya is - and how it influences Katya.

- Dan

Offline rose

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 12:22:45 PM »
Dan,
I'm so glad for you!!! It's such a bless to have such family!!!
But nothing comes from nowhere, I hope you realize that it was YOU who made it to happen!!!
As we say: "I raise my hat to show you my respect!"

Offline START2

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 06:42:45 PM »
Dan,
   Thanks for sharing that. I was blessed(I think) with all boys. Never had the the pleasure of a little lady in the house except for my nieces. Some good memories there. They even smell different from the boys don't they?

Offline Gator

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 06:53:16 PM »
Little girls are indeed special (so are big girls).

Offline Markus

• Opted-Out
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 06:20:41 PM »
Dan,

Your daughter's words to you are very special. It's a wonderful thought when a daughter has a good father to say those words to. We are all blessed.

Mark

Offline MaxxumUSA

• Back in the game!
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 06:48:30 AM »
Good for you Dan.

It is great that she realizes at such a young age that the pain you caused was necessary and you took care of her because you love her.

Me and Elena want children - we both agree we would very much like a daughter.

Back to having fun in life!

Offline CLB1973

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2007, 03:23:24 PM »
This one of the best posts I have read on this board. You are blessed!

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541279
Total Topics: 20859
Most Online Today: 2190
Most Online Ever: 12701