It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Good News from Russia  (Read 4976 times)

Offline AC

• Banned Member
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
Good News from Russia
« on: October 30, 2014, 05:12:50 PM »
Seems like it's time to post some good news from Russia.  Some people might laugh at this one but any news like this is good news; after all this deal is worth $25 Billion.

http://news.yahoo.com/russia-eyes-railway-resources-project-north-korea-110352721.html

Offline AkMike

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Good News from Russia
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 05:29:11 PM »
But they had to erase almost 11 billion of Korean debt to get it.  :cluebat:

" In May, Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a law cancelling 90 percent of North Korea's $10.94 billion debt to Russia from Soviet-era loans."

Offline sleepycat

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 06:48:36 PM »
Don't forget this piece of good news...
http://www.themoscowtimes.com/business/article/russia-and-north-korea-discuss-visa-free-regime/510222.html

On first thought it may not seem like a good thing to potentially have a million starving North Koreans flooding into Mother Russia, but on the other hand this could certainly help to remedy the country's declining population problem!

Offline AC

• Banned Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 08:48:56 PM »
But they had to erase almost 11 billion of Korean debt to get it.  :cluebat:

" In May, Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a law cancelling 90 percent of North Korea's $10.94 billion debt to Russia from Soviet-era loans."

I knew somebody would find something wrong with it!   :P

Offline AkMike

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 09:13:45 PM »
Nah! It's still a 14 billion contract. That's a big chunk of change.

Offline AC

• Banned Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 09:51:04 PM »
Nah! It's still a 14 billion contract. That's a big chunk of change.

Yes, but aren't they losing almost that much every month they try to prop up the ruble?   :popcorn:

Offline AkMike

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 10:14:22 PM »
No Comment! It might cast a negative spin to this positive thread.  :crackwhip: :crackwhip:

Offline Gator

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 10:11:01 AM »
Interesting!  Since WW II China and North Korea have enjoyed close diplomatic relations, China even coming to its defense against the UN military action.  China gives North Korea much foreign aid. 

Most of the world's commodities are in oversupply, thus the world does not need new supplies of natural resources.  This would limit the economic return to Russia. 

One would think that if the railroad upgrade in exchange for access to natural resources was a good deal, China would be doing it instead of Russia.  Maybe China has better opportunities elsewhere and Russia is left with the crumbs of the world. 

Offline AkMike

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 10:25:04 AM »
Somewhere recently I saw some good news for Russia..  :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

They have a heck of a bumper crop of potato's and cabbage this year.. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Offline AC

• Banned Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 10:40:50 AM »
Interesting!  Since WW II China and North Korea have enjoyed close diplomatic relations, China even coming to its defense against the UN military action.  China gives North Korea much foreign aid. 

Most of the world's commodities are in oversupply, thus the world does not need new supplies of natural resources.  This would limit the economic return to Russia. 

One would think that if the railroad upgrade in exchange for access to natural resources was a good deal, China would be doing it instead of Russia.  Maybe China has better opportunities elsewhere and Russia is left with the crumbs of the world.

Most likely this is the case however let's see how RT and the Kremlin spin it.

Offline AC

• Banned Member
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 10:55:46 AM »
Somewhere recently I saw some good news for Russia..  :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

They have a heck of a bumper crop of potato's and cabbage this year.. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

And dirt; hold the salt and pepper.   :crackwhip:

Offline fathertime

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 09:11:23 PM »
I happened to be browsing about the internet and found this article by Bloomberg News.  In a nutshell it is claiming that the sanctions have not worked, and things are improving in Russia.  Russians are making, and consuming their own products more so now, out of necessity.  The article also states their currency and stock market have improved.

The comments section after the article has a lot of interesting points too.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/russia-rebounds-despite-sanctions-153927782.html

Fathertime!   
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline AkMike

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2015, 09:47:09 PM »
That is good news!  :clapping: :clapping:

Lets add more sanctions so it really helps them out!  :rolleyes:

lordtiberius

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2015, 10:14:46 PM »
Whether sanctions are working or not, the solution is the same: more sanctions.

Offline fathertime

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2015, 08:31:40 AM »
Whether sanctions are working or not, the solution is the same: more sanctions.

Hmmmm....from my POV that is an improvement over some of your other suggestions....although it would appear since the sanctions aren't watertight the effectiveness will have limitations. 

Fathertime!   
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 08:52:57 AM by fathertime »

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2015, 09:44:50 AM »
Good ole Mark Winkler comes out of semi-retirement to prop up his pal Vladimir Putin. The article was short on specifics and for good reason--it was mainly fluff. In reality, all it takes is a couple weeks experience shopping at a Russian grocery store, buying a car, or watching the plunging real estate rental market, and one finds out that fluff sounds rosy, but really is not.

What Winkler probably forgot to mention were things like manufacturing numbers having taken big hits. In automotive for example, car sales are down by 25.7%, truck sales by almost 14%. Public transportation is a very significant part of the Russian economy and orders for new buses is down some 29%.

Winkler, who doesn't do his grocery shopping in Russia, seems impressed with Russia's transition to self-production. That is curious as some of the most sought-after products are imports coming thru leaks in the Eurasian Union rules via Belarus and Kazakhstan.

As to food production, the idea of Russian firms replacing Western production has not yet materialized. Putin and Medvedev will readily admit this; it is a top concern for the economic ministries which say growth in that sector has leveled out at 0.4% year to date, still lower than the peak numbers posted in Russia's best production year (2011). In an economy of subsudized housing and utilities, the average Russian spends almost 50% of disposal income on food related purchases. At today's inflation levels, and given the embargo on importation of Western products, including those of nearby Poland and Finland, one cannot think of a single Russian housewife who would find Winkler's take on the economy as anything other than slapstick.

The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline fathertime

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2015, 10:28:02 AM »
Good ole Mark Winkler comes out of semi-retirement to prop up his pal Vladimir Putin. 

That reads as if you are questioning this Bloomberg's writer's credibility, and honesty.

In an economy of subsudized housing and utilities, the average Russian spends almost 50% of disposal income on food related purchases. At today's inflation levels, and given the embargo on importation of Western products, including those of nearby Poland and Finland, one cannot think of a single Russian housewife who would find Winkler's take on the economy as anything other than slapstick.

As I read the article I noted that the Bloomberg writer was discussing the BUSINESS end of things.  Whereas you are discussing the 'little people'.  According to his numbers the business and investment is improving, in certain areas.  According to you the average old lady in Russia is suffering.   I believe both.   

Which of course calls into question the sanctions themselves.  As I recall the sanctions were specifically said to target business, and not the Russian people, but it seems the opposite has happened....business is improving and the 'little people' are suffering.    I realize that some of this is a result of  reverse sanctions as that was a logical and predictable retaliatory strike, and serves the purpose of further demonization of the West.  It is interesting how the unintended consequences stack up, assuming they were indeed unintended.   

Thanks,
Fathertime!   

Offline Muzh

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2015, 10:32:55 AM »
I happened to be browsing about the internet and found this article by Bloomberg News.  In a nutshell it is claiming that the sanctions have not worked, and things are improving in Russia.  Russians are making, and consuming their own products more so now, out of necessity.  The article also states their currency and stock market have improved.

The comments section after the article has a lot of interesting points too.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/russia-rebounds-despite-sanctions-153927782.html

Fathertime!   

Selective reading a la Bank of Russia?

Russian Economy Shrank 0.7% in First Quarter, Central Bank Says

Bank of Russia’s outlook more optimistic than majority of forecasts

http://www.wsj.com/articles/russian-economy-shrank-0-7-in-first-quarter-central-bank-says-1426500140?KEYWORDS=Russian+economy

GM to Close Russian Assembly Plant

Auto maker cites market outlook; will book up to a $600 million charge in its first quarter

http://www.wsj.com/articles/gm-to-indefinitely-idle-russian-assembly-plant-1426681831?KEYWORDS=Russian+economy

Russia’s Budget Deficit More Than Doubles in a Month

Drop in oil prices and Western sanctions are sending the country toward recession.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/russias-budget-deficit-more-than-doubles-in-a-month-1426176589?KEYWORDS=Russian+economy

Keep in mind I was browsing the same way you were.  ;D
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline fathertime

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2015, 10:39:17 AM »

Selective reading a la Bank of Russia?

Russian Economy Shrank 0.7% in First Quarter, Central Bank Says

Bank of Russia’s outlook more optimistic than majority of forecasts

http://www.wsj.com/articles/russian-economy-shrank-0-7-in-first-quarter-central-bank-says-1426500140?KEYWORDS=Russian+economy

GM to Close Russian Assembly Plant

Auto maker cites market outlook; will book up to a $600 million charge in its first quarter

http://www.wsj.com/articles/gm-to-indefinitely-idle-russian-assembly-plant-1426681831?KEYWORDS=Russian+economy

Russia’s Budget Deficit More Than Doubles in a Month

Drop in oil prices and Western sanctions are sending the country toward recession.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/russias-budget-deficit-more-than-doubles-in-a-month-1426176589?KEYWORDS=Russian+economy

Keep in mind I was browsing the same way you were.  ;D

You got me there.   :)

Fathertime!   

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2015, 04:16:22 PM »
Neville:
That reads as if you are questioning this Bloomberg's writer's credibility, and honesty.

Readers are free to interrupt what they read, I guess. BTW, I do not question his credibility as co-founder and retired CEO of Bloomberg.

When it comes to his soft spot for Putin, perhaps he should explain more about his life in Russia, his experience in Russia and Ukraine, and how he copes with the business climate. Oops, he doesn't have any of those qualifications, does he?

I own a business, as does my wife. I really don't need Winkler to tell me when and if the Russian business climate is improving. Especially if it is not.  :D

The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2015, 04:19:45 PM »
Neville:
As I read the article I noted that the Bloomberg writer was discussing the BUSINESS end of things.  Whereas you are discussing the 'little people'.  According to his numbers the business and investment is improving, in certain areas.  According to you the average old lady in Russia is suffering.   I believe both.   

Hmm, part of what I said was:
...manufacturing numbers having taken big hits. In automotive for example, car sales are down by 25.7%, truck sales by almost 14%. Public transportation is a very significant part of the Russian economy and orders for new buses is down some 29%.

lordtiberius

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2015, 06:32:01 PM »
Ah yes, the little people . . . . how very democratic

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541002
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1875
Total: 1886

+-Recent Posts

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM