It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Ukraine Passport Extension  (Read 7973 times)

Offline Alesis

Ukraine Passport Extension
« on: October 11, 2010, 01:30:32 PM »
Hello to all!

It's been awhile. My wife and daughter have been here (US) three years now and it's going remarkably well.

We thought we were doing everything right...but now a problem has emerged.

Wife's Ukrainian international travel passport expires 10/30. We were told that all we needed to do was visit the Ukraine Embassy in Chicago, and they could give the stamp and extend it. We called there again today. My wife was told she is missing a stamp from AVIR? and that she must travel back to Ukraine to get this stamp. Obviously, she can't travel back there in two weeks.

Anybody else run into this problem?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Offline Sailor291

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Ukraine Passport Extension
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 03:11:24 PM »
I cant advise your sitaution, but, my wife just went ahead and got U.S. citizenship as soon as she could and fogot about her Ukrainian passport.  She may renew it sometime in the future, but at this time she has no inclination to do so, it has been expired for quite some time now.  I do wish you well tho. 

Offline Alesis

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 03:36:13 PM »
Thanks, Sailor. It sounds like your wife is not very interested in returning to Ukraine. Is this correct? Or is it no problem with her current docs?

I admit...I'm a little confused here.

My wife also has a young daughter from the previous marriage (currently 13 years old). She's also worried about this situation with the child. We definitely do not want to go back to the child's bio father and try to get more documents out of him.

Again, thanks a million!

Offline ECOCKS

• To those who deserve it, good luck.
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 03:52:54 PM »
My wife also expects to let her Ukrainian passport expire (2014) and become a minor historical document in her collection. Her expectation is to replace it with her American one on achieving citizenship. She will still visit Ukraine routinely using which ever passport is in effect, no big deal and really nothing to do with her feelings about her homeland.
Pick and choose carefully among the advice offered and consider the source carefully. PM, Skype or email if you care to chat or discuss

Offline Alesis

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 04:09:57 PM »
Thanks, E. Appreciate the input. We're facing a situation of trying to get her father over here next year and this will require a trip back for her. If she takes our daughter, it's possible the daughter will not be able to leave Ukraine without much hassle, as I understand it.

Best of luck to you two.

Offline ECOCKS

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 04:17:16 PM »
So, keep it simple and don't take the daughter back.

I know, easy perhaps for me to say, but it seems an obvious solution.

We also have multiple family members we are hoping.expecting/wishing to bring over during the next decade or so.
Pick and choose carefully among the advice offered and consider the source carefully. PM, Skype or email if you care to chat or discuss

Offline Kuna

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 04:31:18 AM »
This post is entirely theoretical...

Passport troubles...blahhhh....

Let me just say I have heard it is possible to have a new Ukrainian passport issued in 1 day in Ukraine - for a price.

The price, apparently, is 6000 grivna.

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 08:46:07 AM »
Alesis...
 Go with what Sailor wrote.
 Marriage that is 3 years ago can apply for US citizenship.  
 One cannot travel anyway with a passport that that expires in less than six months.
We're facing a situation of trying to get her father over here next year and this will require a trip back for her.
Not really clear there. Whose father? Your wife's or your stepdaughter's?
Why the need either way?
PS...
There is no possible reason [that I know] why, after US citizenship,
A Ukraine passport would be needed. They wouldn't grant one anyway, as dual citizenship is not recognized there.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 08:51:21 AM by tfcrew »
~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline ECOCKS

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 08:57:51 AM »
Let me know how it goes bringing over your father-in-law. We are wanting to get started after the New Year on the MIL and our son, then one of my SIL the next year. Back on the income treadmill I guess!

I suppose it would be almost be a reason for some folks that with your Ukrainian passport you aren't subject to the 90/180 day rules but not sure many people can't figure that out, it's so minor a consideration. Even if they re-institute a visa regime for westerners, I don't really see it as an issue though.

Offline Sailor291

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 10:03:12 AM »
Alesis, its not that my wife is not interested in going back to Ukraine, we have been back more times than I can count in the 11 years we have been married.  Its just that it was not worth the hassle to get her Ukranian passport renewed.  She and my daughter (I adopted my step-daughter) both have U.S. passports and we travel on those.  My wifes parents have Green Cards and come and go to our home every year. 
So, good luck to you

Offline tfcrew

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 10:27:29 AM »

.. with your Ukrainian passport you aren't subject to the 90/180 day rules but not sure many people can't figure that out..

However...
This is a case of getting a ticket & being boarded by an airline here in the USA.  Some of 'many' people who are only aware of the 180 day rule.
There is more info available at VisaJourney.
~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline Alesis

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 11:02:12 AM »
Thanks tf.

USCIS confirmed this morning  what you stated...we can now start the naturalization process.Word I've gotten is that it's taking about 6 months. Then after she is "naturalized", only then can she pursue starting the naturalization process for our minor daughter.

Our only problem is the window in between the expiration of the Ukrainian international passport and the one year process for her and the child to get naturalized. She wants to go over to get her father (the child's grandfather) lined up to come over for a couple of months. And then there's the worst case scenario that he would become gravely ill and my wife would need to go over. Can she travel in and out of Ukraine under the status of "applying for naturalization"?

Offline tfcrew

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 12:39:00 PM »
Like engineering..
A problem = unfortunate
A big problem = an opportunity

Have relatives apply for visitors visas.
They can come on their own..happens every day.

In the meantime, finish up the N-400 app. asap.
For a 3 yr resident the 400 documents are all the same as the original petition ...IRS, birth certificates, everything.
Keep us posted---

Karl

Offline forddealer

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 11:03:05 AM »
I am trying to reach member  tfcrew to ask a question. I do not understand this site on how to contact a member could someone please help?

Offline pokerintherear

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 11:11:31 AM »
I think you must post a couple of times before you can send PM.

Offline Muzh

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2013, 11:13:28 AM »
You must have THREE posts before you can PM members.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 11:15:31 AM by Muzh »
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline forddealer

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2013, 11:39:49 AM »
Thanks for the help!!

Offline Muzh

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 08:08:51 AM »
C'mon, one more.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline forddealer

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 08:14:49 AM »
Hi Thank you again for your help. This is my question. My wife is from Ukraine and became an American citizen and has a US passport. It shows her country of origin is Ukraine. Her Ukraine passport expired, which she does not plan to use, and she did not cancel her Ukraine citizenship because we didnt know to do that. Will she have any problems that you know of when she goes back using a US passport? I have read that they do not recognize dual citizens. At the border will they ask her if she is still a citizen of Ukraine if they see that Ukraine was her country of birth? I do not want any problems with Ukraine customs. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Muzh

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2013, 08:26:21 AM »
Hi Thank you again for your help. This is my question. My wife is from Ukraine and became an American citizen and has a US passport. It shows her country of origin is Ukraine. Her Ukraine passport expired, which she does not plan to use, and she did not cancel her Ukraine citizenship because we didnt know to do that. Will she have any problems that you know of when she goes back using a US passport? I have read that they do not recognize dual citizens. At the border will they ask her if she is still a citizen of Ukraine if they see that Ukraine was her country of birth? I do not want any problems with Ukraine customs. Any help would be appreciated.

My wife's been using her US passport for the last 5 years without a glitch. Actually, a plus when returning to the States.  :D

No one will ask her anything. Except at the US point of entry when they will ask her at passport control: Do you have anything to declare?

Tell her to just smile and reply: I decalre I had a good time.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 11:18:43 AM by Muzh »

Offline forddealer

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2013, 09:44:25 AM »
Perfect!  That takes the pressure off.  Thanks again!

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541004
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1863
Total: 1874

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM