It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Airbnb is Under Assault in the US  (Read 5688 times)

Offline jone

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Airbnb is Under Assault in the US
« on: July 28, 2016, 10:09:11 AM »
http://www.nysun.com/national/battle-over-airbnb-takes-center-stage/89665/

More and more, transient housing is being excluded from localities.  Those who wish to make money by sharing a room or an apartment are being slapped down.  Those of us here who have used Airbnb should stand against this abrogation of freedoms in America.  Why should we get to use Airbnb in other countries, yet those who visit us must stay in high priced hotels?
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline jone

Re: Airbnb is Under Assault in the US
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 10:13:51 AM »
Just so all of you know, I have opened up my home repeatedly to Kovas who have great need of a place to stay.  It is a humanitarian gesture, and I think all of you can relate.  In some cases I don't even charge rent. 
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline TigerPaws

• 16 years together & still very much in love
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 10:18:21 AM »
Humanitarian? Where is the profit in that?

Non-the-less the gov has no business, it is all about adding more and more regulation and bureaucrats.

Do we REALLY need more bureaucrats?

Offline alex330

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 11:55:41 AM »
Ridiculous. Killing innovation and startups is the last thing we need in todays economy.

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 04:36:29 PM »
There have been many complaints from homeowners when houses are rented out, usually as party central, on Airbnb. So, I understand the need for regulation. I'd be upset if I lived next door to a short term rental where the guests were noisy until 4 or 5 a.m. every night.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline BorisS

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 12:07:14 PM »
There have been many complaints from homeowners when houses are rented out, usually as party central, on Airbnb. So, I understand the need for regulation. I'd be upset if I lived next door to a short term rental where the guests were noisy until 4 or 5 a.m. every night.

Bingo. Hotels are zoned in specific areas for a reason.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 05:10:06 PM by BorisS »

Offline jone

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 01:12:56 PM »

Reminds me of that joke about the guy who complained to his landlord that the neighbors were banging on walls throughout the night on the previous day.  The landlord asked if it had kept him awake.  He said it did not because he was fortunately engaged in playing his tuba.

Offline fathertime

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 02:21:06 PM »
Reminds me of that joke about the guy who complained to his landlord that the neighbors were banging on walls throughout the night on the previous day.  The landlord asked if it had kept him awake.  He said it did not because he was fortunately engaged in playing his tuba.

Yeah, but you can now read that there IS a legitimate other side to the story....it isn't just regulation for the sake of regulation...there are indeed other things/people to consider. 
Fathertime! 
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline alex330

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 03:22:21 PM »
Not sure about other parts of the US but in Florida there are already condo board regulations on renting out your unit. Certain buildings allow it while others do not. It is up to the buyers to decide whether to live in a building that allows it or not before purchasing.

Offline jone

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 05:03:37 PM »

Yeah, but you can now read that there IS a legitimate other side to the story....it isn't just regulation for the sake of regulation...there are indeed other things/people to consider. 
Fathertime!

How you ever got to an admonishment from my joke is beyond me.   I think you take yourself a bit too seriously, FT.

:cluebat:

Offline fathertime

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 07:23:36 PM »
How you ever got to an admonishment from my joke is beyond me.   I think you take yourself a bit too seriously, FT.

:cluebat:

I think it is YOU that take yourself a bit too seriously actually, even if few other do!...but if it was a joke, I guess nobody else 'got it' either. 

Fathertime! 

Offline jone

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2016, 09:28:40 AM »

I think it is YOU that take yourself a bit too seriously actually, even if few other do!...but if it was a joke, I guess nobody else 'got it' either. 

Fathertime!

I guess you missed the part at the start of the post where it said:  REMINDS ME OF A JOKE.

Offline fathertime

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2016, 09:41:42 AM »
I guess you missed the part at the start of the post where it said:  REMINDS ME OF A JOKE.

well the first post on the thread looked like you were serious...I still am thinking the original complaint was serious...and has been successfully countered.  nothing much more to say unless it is coming from you. 

Fathertime! 

Offline jone

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2016, 09:52:58 AM »

well the first post on the thread looked like you were serious...I still am thinking the original complaint was serious...and has been successfully countered.  nothing much more to say unless it is coming from you. 

Fathertime!

Actually, you are right in that the original post was put out there to be somewhat controversial.  I sometimes do that to create conversation on the forum.  The post you were referencing in what you quoted was a joke. 

But, then, I am not strident in a belief that we need transient housing in neighborhoods that are zoned against it.  Each community already has laws against transient housing.  Rentals for less than 30 days are prohibited in normal family neighborhoods.

Offline BC

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2016, 10:12:46 AM »

Indeed.. I never thought about that....
thx

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2016, 06:50:02 AM »
...Each community already has laws against transient housing.  Rentals for less than 30 days are prohibited in normal family neighborhoods.

So, being serious for a moment, what you're saying is that you can't rent an apartment in the USA (or certain parts, anyway) the same way that you can in the FSU?

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2016, 06:53:55 AM »
So, being serious for a moment, what you're saying is that you can't rent an apartment in the USA (or certain parts, anyway) the same way that you can in the FSU?

Yes you can but they are much more difficult to find than in the FSU

Offline jone

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2016, 08:04:50 AM »
In the United States we have what are called 'Transient Housing Laws'.   These laws define the difference between short term housing for rent, like a hotel, and a property that requires at least a thirty day lease, a residential home.

For the most part, the communities themselves, municipalities, determine what areas and what types of properties are available for transient housing.  However, the hotel owners are making a big stink in the State legislatures so as not to have to compete with Airbnb type housing. 

Offline ML

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2016, 10:18:47 AM »

I  would say it is virtually impossible to find an apartment for rent in USA for a day, a few days, or a week.

And depending on the supply/demand in any particular city . . . it may be impossible to rent without a one year lease.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2016, 10:24:11 AM »
I  would say it is virtually impossible to find an apartment for rent in USA for a day, a few days, or a week.

And depending on the supply/demand in any particular city . . . it may be impossible to rent without a one year lease.

Timeshares often do.

Offline jone

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2016, 10:25:28 AM »
We have visitors who rent apartments in Los Angeles all of the time.  If the area is zoned for it, there are short term rentals.  You can rent a unit in Redondo Beach, only four miles from my house, right on the beach, if you choose.  That is an apartment, not a hotel room.  Near the airport, you can rent out a pseudo house for a month duration.  It is furnished and has most of the amenities you would look for:  WIFI, Cable TV, etc.

Offline ML

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2016, 08:34:18 PM »
Yeah . . . it seems I forgot about what might be available in vacation areas.

I was thinking more in terms of a standard USA city when I said no daily or weekly rentals likely.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2016, 09:31:28 PM »
Yeah . . . it seems I forgot about what might be available in vacation areas.

I was thinking more in terms of a standard USA city when I said no daily or weekly rentals likely.

Hard to find but they are out there and that's what makes airbnb so valuable. In my small town we have 2 really nice bnbs. The locals are very familiar but the bnb's don't advertise very much. I've stayed in bnbs many times when I find one I like. Much better than a hotel

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541017
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2385
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 2241
Total: 2251

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:57:04 PM

Re: Plumber earnings by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 09:37:55 PM

Plumber earnings by ML
Yesterday at 07:49:26 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 01:09:03 PM