It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: WARNING: AVOID PRIVAT BANK ATMs IN UKRAINE!!  (Read 13766 times)

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
Re: WARNING: AVOID PRIVAT BANK ATMs IN UKRAINE!!
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2015, 06:00:12 PM »
Yes of course the fees would be higher, but that is the point -- the cc or atm card may be eaten by a machine, and then what?  I thought of this years ago, or it may be that I read somebody else who thought of it.  Either way I like to have many possible back-ups.

If you have access to the internet, though, and have a Western Union or MoneyGram account, you could leave this as an option until you actually needed it.

Offline Chicagoguy

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2015, 06:13:58 PM »
I like this Western Union idea. I am going to FSU in May and will try that except with Money Gram - a little cheaper. Plus some cash in a money belt.

A few years ago my brother was checking his statement at a local bank that is only 1 mile away and there was $ 800 less in his account. He went there and was told it was taken from his ATM account. Strange thing was he had never in his life used an ATM and never even had a pin number. They then looked at photo of man who took $. No one knew him and he was [sorry about this] a black man and my brother was white. At the time my brother was on police board so they paid close attention and many investigations but never a solution.  I wouldn't be so fast to blame Ukraine itself.

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2015, 06:23:25 PM »
I primarily came with enough cash to pay for all my expenses.

Same here. I use my cards only in an emergency and if I use my cards, I don't let them out of my sight. Once someone writes down the card number or use a camera mounted on an ATM, the card will get used by someone else even if it's returned to your pocket.

Years ago I bought a camera on ebay. The seller offered me brand new $1000 cameras for $500 each. He even offered to send them to me first and I paid later. The packages were coming to me from all over the USA, most from Amazon.com. After about $10,000 in purchases, Amazon fraud department called me and asked if I knew the seller. I did not but they did tell me the seller was from a European country and he stole tourists credit card numbers and bought merchandise online only after a person from ebay won the item. I did not have to return anything back to Amazon.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Chicagoguy

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2015, 06:28:55 PM »
One thing I always do before I leave is call my credit card companies and tell them I will be in Russia with my card and then give them dates.

They will sometimes not honor cards in some countries and maybe even their computer snatched yours ?

Offline southernX

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2015, 06:38:10 PM »
we do the same , notify our bank of the places we will visit and dates ,

we both use our cards, usually dont  have any issues anywhere  ,, except in barlcays in paris once years ago , they refused to accept it ,

we take some cash , but i usually keep a min of $ in the card accounts and do an online transfer every week to top the cards up , i figure this will minimise any loss if the card is lost, stolen or hacked

has worked well over the years

SX
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Online Faux Pas

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2015, 06:38:38 PM »
If you have access to the internet, though, and have a Western Union or MoneyGram account, you could leave this as an option until you actually needed it.

I agree. Set up the account and connect it to your bank account. There are no charges unless you use it. I have both a WU and a Paypal account set up that can send me cash. I would advise setting them up in advance as some want to send a dollar to and fro for varification

Offline ML

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2015, 09:13:16 PM »
One strategy is to send to yourself, via Western Union, some additional emergency money for your trip.

Actually, WU will not allow a person to send money to themself.

A friend/relative will have to do it.

At least this was the rule for several years.

Connected to money-laundering precautions.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline andrewfi

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2015, 01:23:30 AM »

The last time I sent money to myself with WU was about 4 years ago on a trip to the US. Worked just fine. Picked up the cash in a Walgreens as I recall. Got some odd looks though as my ID was checked. Previously done the job in China.

There's good reasons why you can't get back a card that has been eaten - firstly the system is not designed for US tourists but for people who live locally. It is quicker to provide a new card than to return old ones (and more secure). Secondly, if cards can be passed out by random staff members to shouty people then, for sure, people wil dishonestly hand out cards to the wrong people. Less of an issue in these days of chip and pin though.

If you were using a debit card and not just an ATM token you can get emergency cash by calling your card issuer,  they will forward you to the service provider (Mastercard or Visa) and within a few minutes you will be sent any amount you choose,  up to your current account limit. The money is sent using Western Union and no charge is made,  but you have to live with the WU exchange rate as the transfer will always be made in dollars and exchanged in branch using WU's exchange rate.

One thing,  I have not yet found a 'foreign' atm that will give balance information. Usually though each transaction, including enquiries, requires you to input your pin number. Did you mess up your pin info when attempting the improbable?

And yes,  more than one card please! I always have two cards that access my primary account and credit cards as well  - not forgetting a backup bank account.

But seriously, don't mess with a system that works world over and is designed to protect your cash. On reflection, think how unhappy you'd be if a random staff member could be persuaded to hand over a card retrieved from an ATM?

Offline JayH

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2015, 01:35:51 AM »

Correct and correct!! ;D
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2015, 05:25:19 PM »
If you were using a debit card and not just an ATM token you can get emergency cash by calling your card issuer,  they will forward you to the service provider (Mastercard or Visa) and within a few minutes you will be sent any amount you choose,  up to your current account limit. The money is sent using Western Union and no charge is made,  but you have to live with the WU exchange rate as the transfer will always be made in dollars and exchanged in branch using WU's exchange rate.

Just try explaining that "Visa" is a company when you go to pick up the money at a bank branch!  I got told the equivalent of "no bloody way" when I tried the first time - "Western Union only send money from one person to one person!"  It took 45 minutes to finally get the cash, although at the end of my trip I found a bank in Moscow with a teller who spoke good English and was able to cut the process down to under 10 minutes.

Offline msmobyone

• patriotism is the last vestige of fools, but hey
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2015, 03:24:42 PM »

One thing,  I have not yet found a 'foreign' atm that will give balance information.

Andrewfi isn't looking in the right places or even going to Russia or Ukraine - so how would he know?!

A UK sterling top up credit card DOES give a balance in all the ATM / bankomats / hole-in-the-wall's I've tried -as does  a Euro offering.

mytravelcash.com

I'll 'make' a photo for you :)

Please excuse the Curmudgeon in my posts ..he will be cured by being reunited with his loved one ;)

Offline HoundDaddyLee

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2015, 08:43:26 AM »
...  Putin will continue to take bits and pieces of this rotting carcass of Stalin's creation until it collapses completely.  It is not a question of if it will fail, but only a question of when it will fail and what will be done with it then.

Wow. I did not know that Ukraine was created or founded by Stalin (????) Don't think so.

But sorry about your ATM issue. Not quite as bad as my trip from over 3 years ago when I discovered that HSBC would not allow their debit cards to be used in Ukraine. This was after I called them to tell them I would be traveling to Ukraine. I ended up using Western Union to send cash to myself. When I travel I am not comfortable carrying a lot of cash. To easy to be robbed if you are flashing a roll of U.S. dollars.

HDL

Offline Noch1

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2015, 08:59:51 AM »
I carried enough cash to cover most things.
I arranged with banks and used debit card most often
on last several trips, with no issues.
My wife used our joint ( Canadian) debit  card
for several months with no issues.

As a precaution, I always left a chunk of cash at home,
that could be sent to me in case of emergency.
This cost a couple bucks WU or however, but if in emergency
I would not be worried about the fee's
Common sense, Is not so common!

Offline ML

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2015, 09:57:31 AM »
To easy to be robbed if you are flashing a roll of U.S. dollars.

Why would you be flashing the USD?
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline HoundDaddyLee

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2015, 05:20:09 PM »
Why would you be flashing the USD?

At the walk up currency exchange windows... But I guess you could just go into a bank. I just prefer to not carry too much cash on me when "in-country"

HDL

Offline BillyB

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2015, 06:01:47 PM »
I just prefer to not carry too much cash on me when "in-country"

Money belt is a safe way to carry a lot of cash when walking about. Get about $700 in there.

Money Belt
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline cbstogner

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2015, 07:28:34 PM »
Same thing happened to me in Arena, quit your whining. I didn't even call the bank, I came prepared with two more ATM cards - don't let it ruin your trip.

By the way, Ukraine is cheap as hell right now.. How could you be having a bad time?

Offline scottiestevie

• Commercial Member
  • Stephen Pellicano owner of Ukraine marriage agency
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2015, 11:27:03 PM »
Message to anyone who has Bank of America -  change banks now!   After 2 weeks of using my ATM fine in Kharkov, with receipt saying PRIVT BANK, suddenly all my accounts at Bank of America were frozen.   When I called to find out why they said " You are using an ATM in the sanctioned region of Crimea", when I was actually in Kharkov, Ukraine.  Bank of America did not release my money until 13 days after I got back to the US and went to my branch offices several times to answer a million questions and prove I was an American citizen.

Bottom line, I'll never use an ATM in Ukraine (or anywhere abroad again), and Bank of America, as I have researched, has the highest level of freezing normal American people's money more than any other bank simply because they can and they don't understand geography.

Cash is king and I am moving away from any type of plastic or keeping money in even US banks.  Besides, identiy theft in US is getting out of control.  My advice is to move back to a cash society.
Sincerely,
Stephen Pellicano
Co-Founder
http://www.bridesmadeinukraine.com

Offline msmobyone

• patriotism is the last vestige of fools, but hey
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2015, 03:05:28 AM »

Cash is king and I am moving away from any type of plastic or keeping money in even US banks.  Besides, identiy theft in US is getting out of control.  My advice is to move back to a cash society.

from your own website...

''Unlimited E-mails with
UNLIMITED women
ONE month
$199'' 

Think you might need to rely on e-money if you want clients ;)
Please excuse the Curmudgeon in my posts ..he will be cured by being reunited with his loved one ;)

Offline JayH

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2015, 03:04:20 PM »
Message to anyone who has Bank of America -  change banks now!   After 2 weeks of using my ATM fine in Kharkov, with receipt saying PRIVT BANK, suddenly all my accounts at Bank of America were frozen.   When I called to find out why they said " You are using an ATM in the sanctioned region of Crimea", when I was actually in Kharkov, Ukraine.  Bank of America did not release my money until 13 days after I got back to the US and went to my branch offices several times to answer a million questions and prove I was an American citizen.

Bottom line, I'll never use an ATM in Ukraine (or anywhere abroad again), and Bank of America, as I have researched, has the highest level of freezing normal American people's money more than any other bank simply because they can and they don't understand geography.

WARNING:  AVOID PRIVAT BANK ATMs IN UKRAINE!!

I repeated thrthread title--just in case you missed it!

A thread in an extremely derogatory manner about Privat Bank in Ukraine--now you blame your own bank.The part that is obvious to me is that it is his own incompetence that created the issue.
Time to blame yourself and accept it was YOU( the op) who was at fault--and Privat were an innocent party here.
It always irks me to see ignorance in a post of the ill informed seeing to denigrate and ridicule any party-- and this case highlights that.
I might add--your own posts would make me wary of your business and personal competence--maybe I should create a thread for the search engines to find using your business name outlining the facts of your questionable competence ,judgment and knowledge?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 07:18:20 PM by JayH »
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline fathertime

« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2015, 03:31:40 PM »

I might add--your own posts would make me wary of your business and personal competence--maybe I should create a thread for the search engines to find using your business name outlining the facts of your questionable competence ,judgment and knowledge?

Instead of threatening to harm the man's business (which you know nothing of) maybe you should shut your ugly threatening mouth.... :blowkiss:

Fathertime!
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline jone

« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2015, 03:46:10 PM »
What famous politician used to say:  "I don't care what you say about me.  Just spell my name right."
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Anathema

• Banned Member
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2015, 06:43:00 PM »
Meh, I just spent 10 days in Kiev and never had any problems with any of the ATMs, including Privat.

Offline scottiestevie

• Commercial Member
  • Stephen Pellicano owner of Ukraine marriage agency
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2015, 08:45:39 PM »
I was in Ukraine when this news story was made public (February 16, 2015).  Perhaps my story - all my bank accounts being frozen from ATM withdrawls, and others related to the problems with ATMs in Ukraine, has something to do with "The Great Carbanak Robbery".

Here is the article from Kaspersky

http://www.kaspersky.com/about/news/virus/2015/Carbanak-cybergang-steals-1-bn-USD-from-100-financial-institutions-worldwide

The Great Bank Robbery: Carbanak cybergang steals $1bn from 100 financial institutions worldwide

Kaspersky Lab, INTERPOL, Europol and authorities from different countries have combined efforts to uncover the criminal plot behind an unprecedented cyberrobbery. Up to one billion American dollars was stolen in about two years from financial institutions worldwide. The experts report that responsibility for the robbery rests with a multinational gang of cybercriminals from Russia, Ukraine and other parts of Europe, as well as from China. The Carbanak criminal gang responsible for the cyberrobbery used techniques drawn from the arsenal of targeted attacks. The plot marks the beginning of a new stage in the evolution of cybercriminal activity, where malicious users steal money directly from banks, and avoid targeting end users.

Since 2013, the criminals have attempted to attack up to 100 banks, e-payment systems and other financial institutions in around 30 countries. The attacks remain active. According to Kaspersky Lab data, the Carbanak targets included financial organizations in Russia, USA, Germany, China, Ukraine, Canada, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Romania, France, Spain, Norway, India, the UK, Poland, Pakistan, Nepal, Morocco, Iceland, Ireland, Czech Republic, Switzerland, Brazil, Bulgaria, and Australia.

It is estimated that the largest sums were grabbed by hacking into banks and stealing up to ten million dollars in each raid. On average, each bank robbery took between two and four months, from infecting the first computer at the bank’s corporate network to making off with the stolen money.

The cybercriminals began by gaining entry into an employee’s computer through spear phishing, infecting the victim with the Carbanak malware. They were then able to jump into the internal network and track down administrators’ computers for video surveillance. This allowed them to see and record everything that happened on the screens of staff who serviced the cash transfer systems. In this way the fraudsters got to know every last detail of the bank clerks’ work and were able to mimic staff activity in order to transfer money and cash out.
How the money was stolen

When the time came to cash in on their activities, the fraudsters used online banking or international e-payment systems to transfer money from the banks’ accounts to their own. In the second case the stolen money was deposited with banks in China or America. The experts do not rule out the possibility that other banks in other countries were used as receivers.
    In other cases cybercriminals penetrated right into the very heart of the accounting systems, inflating account balances before pocketing the extra funds via a fraudulent transaction. For example: if an account has 1,000 dollars, the criminals change its value so it has 10,000 dollars and then transfer 9,000 to themselves. The account holder doesn’t suspect a problem because the original 1,000 dollars are still there.
    In addition, the cyberthieves seized control of banks’ ATMs and ordered them to dispense cash at a pre-determined time. When the payment was due, one of the gang’s henchmen was waiting beside the machine to collect the ‘voluntary’ payment.
Sincerely,
Stephen Pellicano
Co-Founder
http://www.bridesmadeinukraine.com

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541003
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1867
Total: 1878

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM