It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: High speed trains in Moscow.  (Read 3791 times)

Offline eich

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
High speed trains in Moscow.
« on: October 08, 2018, 01:40:34 AM »
Has anyone taken a high speed train out of Moscow e.g. Sapsan, Lastochka, or Strizh? I’ve never been on one.

I’m going to Vladimir but from the photos I’ve seen there does not seem to be enough room for 2 pcs of baggage anywhere – unlike the old trains that I’ve ridden on in the past.
Life is just an empty room.

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
Re: High speed trains in Moscow.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 02:44:06 AM »
Firstly the Sapsan ( Peregrine Falcon, ) and ласточка ( Swallow) are very different types of train ..

The former is a high speed intercity train and the latter a modern day ( airy) suburban train that is used all over Russian ( example) Krasnda to Sochi ( Adler) and the mountain resorts

I've never used the former as I had my car and so used a sleeper from Moscow to Piter where my car was on the same train

This video shows the interior of the Sapsan - the lass in the vid reckons that there's enough space - even in peak times - for luggage ... esp if travelling First Class :)

The Swallow is roomy and has plenty of space for luggage

The стриж ( Swift ) - I've never travelled on one as they are confined to two routes I've not used
info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strizh_(train)

They are just the wagons  / carriages - unlike the others which have power units front and back and can be joined to make longer trains with multiple power units

If you want to sleep on a Russian train there are old fashioned wagons ( carriages) -single storey and modern double-deckers - wifi tends to be more reliable - but more costly travel on the d/deckers

Offline eich

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 09:17:34 PM »
Thank you msmob

Offline LAman

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 11:01:31 PM »
High speed trains have overhead and/or luggage compartment in each carriage. Pictures and video don't show much.
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 10:30:57 PM »
You still may have to pay for additional bags, but I have found that often on the newer commuter trains nobody checks.

There are bins, some look like oversize coat racks and often located in the middle of each wagon, or on the ends in some wagons. Just follow the crowd as everyone is bringing a bag, or two, or five....
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline eich

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 01:09:01 AM »
Instead of waiting until I'm there, I am thinking of buying my tickets online to reserve a timeline schedule. Any draw-backs to this idea?

Offline msmob

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 01:15:43 AM »
Instead of waiting until I'm there, I am thinking of buying my tickets online to reserve a timeline schedule. Any draw-backs to this idea?

One might be that I believe there's a 90 day in the future limit  - at least online? ((

http://pass.rzd.ru/tickets/public/en?STRUCTURE_ID=704&layer_name=e3-route#

Try ...

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 12:49:29 PM »

Actually a good idea. Some trains either sell out a few days prior, or the seating arrangement you want is gone if you wait to buy at the station.

For Russia and Ukraine there are 90 limits, meaning that tickets are only sold up to 90 days before the travel date, as advised by msmob.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 12:51:00 PM by mendeleyev »
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline LAman

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 03:35:38 PM »

Actually a good idea. Some trains either sell out a few days prior, or the seating arrangement you want is gone if you wait to buy at the station.

Also, many times the price goes up as you get closer to travel day, if not sold out, train or class.
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline msmob

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 12:29:55 AM »
VERY good point...    Buying ahead is worth it ...  but why not consider flying ...   Although I'm a train nut, having done it - it's SO much easier - esp if you don't understand much Russian - to fly ;)

Offline eich

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 10:32:16 PM »
Normally I would fly to save time but in this case there are no flights available. Fortunately I found very good seat arrangements on rzd.ru going both ways at the times I want and at a good price - same seat number and car number going both ways on Lastochka. All is good.

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2019, 12:39:12 PM »
Normally I would fly to save time but in this case there are no flights available.

Sure, no flights to Vladimir. Trains are the way to go.
"If I get through this job without completely losing my mind, it will be a miracle of Biblical proportions" [Commander Susan Ivanova, Earth Alliance space station Babylon 5]

Offline msmob

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 03:57:31 AM »
 :cheesy:

OK.. Vladimir ...  'missed' that ..  :wallbash:

It's approx 200Km from SVO - I expect there's buses ..?

I know folk who come from Ivanovo / Yaroslavl... they book a car ( taxi )

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541017
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2178
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 2168
Total: 2179

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Today at 09:57:04 PM

Re: Plumber earnings by Trenchcoat
Today at 09:37:55 PM

Plumber earnings by ML
Today at 07:49:26 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Today at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Today at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM