It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Auguri Italia!!  (Read 10154 times)

Offline BC

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Auguri Italia!!
« on: July 09, 2006, 02:07:28 PM »
 ;D

Offline SANDRO43

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Re: Auguri Italia!!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 05:08:43 AM »
Brian, we seem to be the only 2 (1.5 ;D ?) Italians here. If you lived closer, I'd buy you a drink to celebrate  !
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline BC

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 02:43:35 PM »
Yeah, we will have to get together one of these days for that drink.  After all these years I guess I could apply for Italian citizenship but what would I do with all the other passports?.. I'm quite happy with the .5 though , enjoying the slow life here in Puglia, cappucino and cornetto most mornings at the bar and adjusting the family jewels on the streetcorner just like the other guys..  That's about as 'home' as it can get  ;D

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 03:15:47 PM »
Yeah, we will have to get together one of these days for that drink.  After all these years I guess I could apply for Italian citizenship but what would I do with all the other passports?.. I'm quite happy with the .5 though , enjoying the slow life here in Puglia, cappucino and cornetto most mornings at the bar and adjusting the family jewels on the streetcorner just like the other guys..  That's about as 'home' as it can get  ;D
Well, one of the most important things in life is being content with one's own situation.

Pity Puglie is so far away from Milan. Last time I was there was back in 1997, when I went twice to Maglie to conduct an IBM LAN Server course for the local Banca Tamburrino, and stayed at the Costa Brada Hotel in Gallipoli. Give me a shout if you're ever going to pass through Milan in the future. Ciao !
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline Son of Clyde

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 07:53:51 AM »
I am half Italian does it count? The family is from Vasto.

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 09:42:58 AM »
I am half Italian does it count? The family is from Vasto.
IIRC, having an Italian parent/grand parent would allow you to request Italian citizenship, as loads of Argentinians did when things went belly up in their country ;D.

Vasto is also in Puglie, so I could stand you a drink if you passed through Milan (unlikely though, since you would probably land in Rome) on your way to visiting the land of your family (and claiming citizenship, or political asylum ? :D)
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline jb

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 11:27:44 AM »
I once flew into Milan from JFK on Alitalia.  It was a horrible flight ending in an airport called "Mal Pensa".  I don't know what Mal Pensa means in Italian, but in Spanish it means "Bad Thoughts".  Believe me,,, I've had bad thoughts about that trip ever since.

Offline BC

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 12:16:15 PM »
jb,

If it was long ago I can understand..  they used to call it the airline with hair under the wings. I do a lot of flying nowdays with Alitalia and find it quite acceptable.  The crews and stews seem to take pretty good care of you.. if you speak italian.

Sandro,

Yeah Italian citizenship is quite doable, but they don't seem to like dual citizenship that much.  In many cases they still require you to relinquish your old citizenship.  My wife for example would have to give up her RU citizenship but even I wouldn't want her to do that.  She has permanent status anyway (carta, non permisso di soggiorno) so is afforded the same rights and priveleges as a citizen.

One aspect that really comforted me during the immigration process here is that there are time limits involved for officials to approve immigration and judicial review in case of denial.  All in all a quick process that took less than 3 weeks.

Offline viking

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 12:48:34 PM »
Hey,

My mother was born in Albiano. Northern Italy near Turin. I must have 30 cousins over there. So add another .5 person to this list!  Hmmm. Maybe I should be looking for Italians instead of RW. I have connections. Hmmmm
Ciao
Tom Hanks in Castaway: You never know what the tide may bring in.
Viking: But you still need to walk along the beach to find it.

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2006, 02:47:53 PM »
I don't know what Mal Pensa means in Italian, but in Spanish it means "Bad Thoughts". 
Actually, Malpensa means "he/she thinks bad" in Italian ("thoughts" in Spanish would be pensamientos), but the implicit message is similar : Cascina Malpensa (Malpensa farm) was an isolated area in a mildly malaric moorland (hence the name, probably) 50 km. west of Milan, which pioneer Italian aircraft makers Agusta and Caproni found convenient as grass landing grounds to test their prototypes around 1910. Now it's Northern Italy's inter-continental airport because of its twin 3,500 mt. runways, while Linate airport only has one 2,500 mt. strip, right next to Milan's Idroscalo, a 3,000 mt.-long artificial basin built in the 1930s when seaplanes were thought to be the future of international flights. Linate became again a full-fledged civil airport in the early 1950s, when they kicked out Milan's Aero Club from the premises (here's what it looked like then : http://www.floriani.it/mb308-eng.htm).

« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 03:39:13 PM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2006, 02:56:56 PM »
One aspect that really comforted me during the immigration process here is that there are time limits involved for officials to approve immigration and judicial review in case of denial.  All in all a quick process that took less than 3 weeks.
A surprisingly laudable innovation, quite atypical for Italian bureaucracy. This approach seems to be slowly making its way into other fields (IIRC, building permits, too). There's hope yet ;D
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2006, 03:03:28 PM »
Hey,My mother was born in Albiano. Northern Italy near Turin. I must have 30 cousins over there. So add another .5 person to this list!
Well, well, part-Italians keep cropping up. My bar bill is growing exponentially ;)

Maybe I should be looking for Italians instead of RW. I have connections. Hmmmm Ciao
Considering your apparent age, forget they could look like the young birds in your avatar ;D Why do you think I am looking for RWs myself ?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 03:37:09 PM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2006, 03:35:21 PM »
If it was long ago I can understand..  they used to call it the airline with hair under the wings. I do a lot of flying nowdays with Alitalia and find it quite acceptable.  The crews and stews seem to take pretty good care of you.. if you speak italian.
Since I am apparently the most full-blooded (3/4) Italian around here, I think I can add a bit of local lore and racism without anybody getting offended.

Alitalia is based in Rome, and traditionally its cabin crews have always been recruited locally (overstaffing the airline in the process), so what can you expect from supercilious Romans who think themselves above anybody else, customers included ? I recall a discussion with a male Alitalia cabin attendant who had imperiously ordered me to "put the seat back in the upright position" before takeoff, without bothering to add "Please" to his request, but changed his attitude completely when I replied that I would have gladly complied after conferring with the head stewart about his manners.

Italy is only apparently a nation, but in reality a galaxy of small nations which lived independently (and fought each other) from the fall of the Roman Empire (ca. 440 AD) to our eventual reunification in 1861. Witness the Florentine proverb "Meglio un morto 'n casa che 'n pisano all'uscio" (better a dead man in the house than a man from Pisa at the door).

Which explains why we hard-working Milanese cannot stand the Romans. >:(
In all honesty, however, what else can you do but work hard in a colder climate and without the sea within easy reach ? ;)
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline viking

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2006, 04:48:00 PM »
Sandro,

Those birds are my daughters. :) For which I am very proud. They are young teenagers (scary, yes?) and hopefully when they grow up I will never see I them on any website!. And I guess this makes them .25 Italian.

Viking
Tom Hanks in Castaway: You never know what the tide may bring in.
Viking: But you still need to walk along the beach to find it.

Offline wiz

• Alt Forum
  • Born in Greece living in England
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2006, 03:39:13 PM »
Avanti popolo bantiera Rossa.....

I am from Corfu, invaded by the Venetians, left their mark on the island, so..........can I join?

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2006, 04:13:08 PM »
Avanti popolo bantiera Rossa.....
Actually, it's : "Avanti oh popolo, alla riscossa, banDiera rossa, banDiera rossa" ...
I am from Corfu, invaded by the Venetians, left their mark on the island, so..
... since you've not had the BENEFIT of a Venetian occupation for the past few centuries, you are excused for your small lapse ;).
........can I join?
On behalf of the only 3/4 Italian here (no full bloods available yet), you're quite welcome, Wiz : we mandolin/bouzouki players should stick together ;D (beware, there's also a 1/3 Irish harp/bagpipe player around here, who may row over from Puglie :D).

We're meeting France in Paris tonight, but it will probably not be an exciting match, with both Materazzi and Zizou absent from the pitch :(.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 04:31:48 PM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2006, 02:06:51 PM »
Tonight, France deservedly beat Italy 3-1 in the second round of the European Championship. Our mitigating circumstances : our National League has not started yet and our players therefore are not in full condition (e.g. our defense often proved too slow when opposing French forwards), and a new, not-as-experienced coach.
Milan's "Duomo"

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541014
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1860
Total: 1871

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Today at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Today at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM