It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: children  (Read 224240 times)

Offline DonAz

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
children
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2006, 09:46:11 PM »
This is probably the best thread I've seen on any RW message board.

I think this is what it is all about, Happy families and beautiful children. I especially like seeing the photos of the little one.  i do not have any little ones at the moment but Yulia and i are working on it :D But I do have two sons from my previous marriage. Being the proud Papa that I am, I wanted in to include my " monkeys".  The guy in the middle is not me, he is the hunting guide. I took the photo.

DonAz
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 09:56:00 PM by DonAz »

Offline bbernard

children
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2006, 09:57:47 PM »
Quote from: DonAz
This is probably the best thread I've seen on any RW message board.

I think this is what it is all about, Happy families and beautiful children. I especially like seeing the photos of the little one.  i do not have any little ones at the moment but Yulia and i are working on it :D But I do have two sons from my previous marriage. Being the proud Papa that I am, I wanted in to include my " monkeys".  The guy in the middle is not me, he is the hunting guide. I took the photo.

DonAz

Don,

For me and obviously many others in this community, it does boil down to happy families! I too think this is one of the best threads I have read...

bbernard 

Offline bbernard

children
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2006, 09:59:28 PM »
My son Kalvin and future step-daughter, Milena together in Mariupol, UA.

Offline mischief

children
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2006, 10:10:21 PM »
DonAz, your monkeys are great! Look like real hunters! Hope to see your new little one any time soon!

Vaughn, your girls are lucky to have a father like you! Lara is a very beautiful girl... so is Lenara...

Offline mischief

children
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2006, 10:15:10 PM »
bbernard, your son took after you... you can tell right away that he is your son... Milena is very cute... how old is she?

Offline bbernard

children
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2006, 06:32:47 AM »
Thank you mischief! Milena is going to be 2 years old this month...

bbernard

Offline Son of Clyde

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: No Selection
children
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2006, 07:57:06 AM »
All the children are very cute and I have one question.

Is it really possible for a child from the FSU to be an honor roll student with a language barrier?

I have a reason for asking this based on my step son's experiences in the US. I don't think some teachers have the time or motivation to try to teach someone who is not completely passive andmalleable. Maybe I am wrong.

If the kid isn't getting it it is either a communication problem or the teacher not being willing to rethink their teaching method for the child. The ESL teachers I am sure are trying but the teachers in regular non ESL classes seem not to have the time.

Offline catzenmouse

• Victory Park - Omsk
children
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2006, 08:38:26 AM »
SoC,

Admittedly our experience is different as Sergei is only in kindergarten this year but his teacher has told us already that he's at the top of his class in math and social studies. She also told us that his English is better than many of the kids who were born here.

With your boy being a teenager some of the issues could well be caused by this. I'd advise to talk to the teacher(s) and/or guidance councilor about this as soon as you can.

Ken
"Marriage is that relation between man and woman in which the independence is equal, the dependence mutual, and the obligation reciprocal."
-- Louis K. Anspacher

Offline Daknack

children
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2006, 10:04:42 AM »
As a teacher, by high school we have figured out one thing:  The Kids that are going to do well, are going to do well because they put forth the effore (regardless of intelligence), and those that do poorly are going to do poorly either through a combination of lack of effort and parental non-involvment (and when I mean non involment I dont mean showing up at the school and bitching, I mean helping the kid with homework and making sure they are doing whats needed), or being quite literally retarded (or dyslexic or something as that happens occasionally.  There are two theories on this, the Bush Administration theory of no child left behind, and my theory of leave dumbasses in remedial classes (aka behind).  Our education system is utterly devestated (due to liberals mostly) because they are trying to make everyone equal when there is NO ONE equal.  Most teachers teach to the middle intelligence kids in the class meaning that the intelligent kids are bored, unchalleneged and utterly unmotivated (its why our country is in a massive crash and burn educationally), and the dumb kids are not getting the attention they need either (chances are their parents only care enough to annoy the school but not enough to get off their asses and turn off the TV to teach Jr. how to read).  Sorry enough of my rant.

Offline mischief

children
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2006, 11:48:23 AM »
Quote from: Daknack
 Our education system is utterly devestated (due to liberals mostly) because they are trying to make everyone equal when there is NO ONE equal.
 Couldn't agree more...

Offline Jack

• Commercial Member
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
children
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2006, 02:48:58 PM »
Ahhh, seeing pictures of these cute kid's sure bring back such pleasant memories. My three children are all grown and on their own now. Had my first child, a son, when I was 19, my baby Rachel is soon to be 21. After thirty two years of raising children it's time to now spoil the grand kids and what's so cool about grand kid's is you can send them home when your thru playing with them.

But I do have one dependent female (Sasha) and male (Maximus) living with me and when I arrive home daily I am attacked.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 02:56:00 PM by Jack »

Offline Wild Orchid*

children
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2006, 03:47:55 PM »
[user=130]Son of Clyde[/user] wrote:
Is it really possible for a child from the FSU to be an honor roll student with a language barrier?

I have a reason for asking this based on my step son's experiences in the US. I don't think some teachers have the time or motivation to try to teach someone who is not completely passive andmalleable. Maybe I am wrong.

If the kid isn't getting it it is either a communication problem or the teacher not being willing to rethink their teaching method for the child. The ESL teachers I am sure are trying but the teachers in regular non ESL classes seem not to have the time.
Yes, it is possible. How was your step-son doing back home? May be your expectations of him are too high? Not every sudent in US is an honor student, it goes for locals as well.

Offline Vaughn

children
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2006, 07:07:03 PM »
SoC wrote:
The ESL teachers I am sure are trying but the teachers in regular non ESL classes seem not to have the time.

I hear you, son of Clyde - we had difficulties like this during the first year, with regular courses (non-ESL) posing greater challenges with language for which Lenara was not prepared. I urged her to read, read, read, even books that may have been below her age-level. It helped immensely. Often she'll author rough drafts, and I'll make grammatical corrections - but (here's the key) I coach her on the corrections rather than simply let her turn in the corrected versions. She's not been adequately challenged here in math and science, so she's excelling in those areas - but anything requiring free thought, critique or interpretation of meaning - we get together and I tutor her. I have no doubt that Maryland academic standards are far higher than where we reside - and your son is still weathering the initial adjustment - don't expect miracle report cards just yet - but he will catch on in short order. Stay involved consistently, without being the pain-in-the-ass Papa that we're usually perceived to be. Three teenagers in our household is a force stronger than gravity - and all females, to boot. Well, this is the assigment for which I dutifully volunteered, no complaints, but I do need an occasional cobweb-shaker stroll down the lane....

There are many gaps to fill in. Lenara will use a word like "eloquent" properly, and then a moment later will ask me what a "barrel" is. So it's as if she's learing the advanced American language without the elementary foundation that homegrown children tend to have in their arsenal.

Offline Daknack

children
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2006, 08:50:58 PM »
Maryland academic standards are very low.  65% of all high school students state wide (not just the city) failed a basic English test.  As a nation our standards are so low it is sickening.  Math and Science are the subjects hardest hit with poor academics as we are at LEAST 3 years behind where most other nations are in terms of advancement.  Sure the numbers LOOK good, but its all falsified to keep the $$$ rolling in to schools.  So many schools offer tests, retests, make up work, extra credit, that by the time a respectable grade comes back, it is virtually worthless because you dont have to know anything to aquire it.  I have professors that literally give the questions and answers to tests and quizzes because the kids refuse to study, or put forth an iota of effort.  The colleges arent even allowing people to fail anymore except in some extreme circumstances and its damn sad that many of us are "educated" idiots.

Offline Son of Clyde

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
children
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2006, 07:45:06 AM »
I learned far more once I was out of the school system. I only did poorly in one college class, probably because it was over my head at the time. I would take classes just to see how challenging they were and I discovered that Spanish was not for me. It is much easier to learn languages with someone to help you that you can practice with. I think with some help I may be able to learn Russian because I hear it spoken daily at my house. I feel very sorry for many students in Baltimore. Daknack, you are right on the money on this one. There is very little encouragement from the teachers unless you are a very gifted student.

Offline planner

• Spouse's Country: Latvia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
children
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2006, 09:30:09 AM »
My wife and her son have been here two years.  Son of Clyde asked about the language barrier and grades.  Our now 17 year old did not do well in the first semester due to the language barrier, spring semester.  The ESL teacher is good and he was and is committed to learning the language and being an integrated citizen.  They both don't want to live in the past and put a lot of effort into learning the language.  They also had about a year of private tutoring before arriving.  This year he is a 4.0 student and was student of the month last month.  Kids pick up a new language quickly, especially if they are smart and motivated.

It's time to move on to children photos.  Katrina is 9 months old.  I really like all the photos in this section.  Children photos are great.  They sure get cute after the first few months. 

Offline catzenmouse

• Victory Park - Omsk
children
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2006, 09:36:23 AM »
Planner,

What a sweetie! Congrats on your son's performance in school too.

Ken
"Marriage is that relation between man and woman in which the independence is equal, the dependence mutual, and the obligation reciprocal."
-- Louis K. Anspacher

Offline mischief

children
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2006, 04:49:23 PM »
Planner, Katrina is sooo cuuuute!  My son is still "talking" about her!

Offline wasson65

children
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2006, 10:01:48 PM »
Here is me with Lily's son Kirill last September - he turned three in August.

At my last visit in February, in front of all the family, he said (in russian, of course) "I go with mom to America!"

We took him with us to the hotel.  When we got there, he asked her "Are we in America yet?"

LOL!!

We get along great!  I have 3 boys and one girl from a previous marriage, so it's nothing new to me.  I took along blocks and cars, and we played together.  At my second visit, when he saw me again, he ran right up to me, and I picked him up and we hugged each other tightly.

Can't wait until they're here, should be in July sometime.

Tim

Offline catzenmouse

• Victory Park - Omsk
children
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2006, 05:56:55 AM »
Tim,

That is one handsome little man! Congradulations on a beautiful family!!:D

Ken 
-- Louis K. Anspacher

Offline Rvrwind

• Commercial Member
children
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2006, 01:19:54 AM »
For those who would wish their child to have a constructive & productive childhood, LMAO.:D

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=4288323179

Couldn't figure out how to get the pic to show up so ya gotta use the link, sorry.:noidea:

Rvr-Canadian Cowboy/Agency Owner

« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 01:28:00 AM by Rvrwind »
Tver Angels Local and International Introductions
Classy Ladies for Discerning Gentlemen

RVR-Canadian Cowboy
Dyin' is easy, it's livin' thats hard!!!

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
children
« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2006, 06:42:58 AM »
Quote from: Rvrwind
For those who would wish their child to have a constructive & productive childhood, LMAO.:D

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=4288323179

Couldn't figure out how to get the pic to show up so ya gotta use the link, sorry.:noidea:

Rvr-Canadian Cowboy/Agency Owner

Richard,

If the pic is more than 800 pixels wide, then it posts as a link instead of an inline photo. You can resize them, if you care to - and catzenmouse *sometimes* offers tutorials for those of us (like me) who are graphics-challenged.

- Dan

Offline RacerX

children
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2006, 08:38:18 AM »
how about this

(Dan: in FireFox I only see the link, but in Mozilla it shows the entire graphic??)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 09:51:00 AM by RacerX »

Offline Rvrwind

• Commercial Member
children
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2006, 11:50:47 AM »
That Works, train them to dust mop the floor while you potty train them, LOL. The Japanese never cease to amaze me!!! Very intuitive folks!!!

Thanks Racer. Actually I could resize it no problem, but nowhere did anything say it had to be 800 pixels or under or I woulda known & then done it. I just thought perhaps I screwed up something, LOL.

Anyway rush down to your local 7-11 & get your Baby Mop today!!!!:D:D

RVR-Canadian Cowboy/Agency Owner
Tver Angels Local and International Introductions
Classy Ladies for Discerning Gentlemen

RVR-Canadian Cowboy
Dyin' is easy, it's livin' thats hard!!!

Offline catzenmouse

• Victory Park - Omsk
children
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2006, 12:04:04 PM »
I think we need a version with a couple of tanks on the back. One for soapy water and one for rinse. Might as well get them mopping the kitchen floor too while they are at it! :D
-- Louis K. Anspacher

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 9
Guests: 1967
Total: 1976

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM