It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: What is in Common?  (Read 1792 times)

Offline IAmZon

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
What is in Common?
« on: June 29, 2007, 10:39:34 AM »
Over the last several months, even the most pro RWD has to see a little slide in the quality of discussion.  Recent posts add to this.  I worry about the ongoing value of our little nest here.

So, I thought that a more constructive thread that examines what the group has in common may serve to counterbalance discussions that examine the differences. 

And I do not mean brush the differences away! They exist!  We should admit this. And I think the differences in people here are GREAT.   This is not the Elks club.

I have made some good friends here - not just on the internet, but in real life too.  I also accept and engage with characters at RWD that in the real world I probably would not give the time of day to.  I am a million times more tolerant and accepting of characters and opinions here at RWD that I am in real life - and I am a pretty open minded guy.

So, what is with the recent tendency to draw distinctions and contrasts?  It is my belief that that very act subtracts from RWD greatly.

What is in common?  I think the list is long and obvious.  For me, (being at the beginning stage) insight into agencies and the agency network was invaluable.  Learning about characteristics and generalizations of RW, and the Russian culture was similarly invaluable.  I have been able to make real friendships and gain a familiarity so that I don't feel like an outsider trying to find the front door. 

If it were NOT for RWD, I doubt I would have become so serious.

> Next...

Offline catzenmouse

• Victory Park - Omsk
  • Trips: No Selection
Re: What is in Common?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 11:34:21 AM »
Riv,

Like any community RWD goes through some phases. I've seen this phase come and go several times since I joined. It is a part of natural tendencies of people, part of the growing pains of a community, and part of the strong personalities that we have here.

I have received much more from RWD that I have given. I've made some good friends (some virtually and some physically) and I have, through the discussions and opinions here, learned a lot about how to be successful with a Russian wife. Much of it goes beyond the Russian (of FSU if you will) part of it. There is so much good advice on things that pertain to all aspects of living and making it work as an individual as well as within the community.

Ken
"Marriage is that relation between man and woman in which the independence is equal, the dependence mutual, and the obligation reciprocal."
-- Louis K. Anspacher

Offline jb

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 02:24:45 PM »
Rivardco,

Do you think you and I have anything in common other than an interest in Russia?  I doubt it.

Let's stick to what we do best.

Offline DKMM

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 12:40:21 AM »
I tried my best to give the guys something interesting to talk about for a few days but I'm only one man with limited time...

Offline Nat

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 01:37:13 AM »
I think RWD is a great place :) Yea, fights and quarrels happen, but it’s like on all the rest Internet. It’s a part of every internet community, may be it’d even be boring without them :) After all, people come up with very interesting thoughts and ideas during, well, not fights, but intensive discussions :)
I personally found a lot of useful information here :)

Offline I/O

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 03:07:14 AM »
I personally found a lot of useful information here

I suspect most of us have.

I/O

Offline catzenmouse

• Victory Park - Omsk
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 04:06:10 AM »
You either find and use the vast amount if information available here

-or-

You hang on tight as the train heads over the cliff.

If you come here and are too arrogant or just plain too stupid to take advantage of this resource then you probably deserve to be on that train.

All Aboard!
"Marriage is that relation between man and woman in which the independence is equal, the dependence mutual, and the obligation reciprocal."
-- Louis K. Anspacher

Offline batman

• In Love Again
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 05:27:03 AM »
Things I like about this forum:

I have personally found a lot of trip reports useful in learning about the Russian culture. Some of the trip reports I could really feel like I was actually there experiencing it for myself.

I have been able to confirm that you get all types of people in every culture and in every community. We can't give RW/UW, RM/UM, AM and AW a generalized label because it is so very evident that there are as many differences in our own countries people as there are in FSU.

I don't think I could ever commit myself entirely to RW as my only choice. However I have committed myself to one girl and at least one journey to Russia that may or may not be the last.

It is encouraging to know that not all Russian women are highly argumentative. And that you get the argumentative types in all countries.

I am pleased to see that in many cases we agree on many issues even if we don't all agree on things like sex tourism and casual sex tours :)

The information on scams and accommodation is very helpful... And knowing what to expect from taxi drivers in FSU will surely prepare me for when I arrive in Russia. I feel better prepared in general for when visiting Russia.

I have met people here who I will meet in Russia when I go. A lot of the information here is a valuable resource.

I have been able to formulate my own path and approach to my trip to FSU around the end of this year and am even seriously thinking about living there for a while if all goes well.

We will all choose our own path when we go to FSU and hopefully we can all set a decent example when we are there which most of us seem to do (based on most trips reports - not all)

In Love Again

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 03:55:46 PM »
Nice post batman,

There is a ton of information here and I have benefited greatly by it.

Bill
FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline DKMM

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 09:53:11 PM »
Batman, the only thing that will truly prepare you for taxi drivers is a command of some Russian.  Make sure you act arrogant when trying to talk them down, like duh you know its not supposed to be that much.

I haven't used a taxi in Moscow or St. Pete in a long time since my girl likes flagging down rides.  Which brings up another point, find a girl to take you around and Russia is a much easier place to visit your 1st time around.  Winter in the FSU is awesome if you like to be the only "tourist" you see.

Offline Mir

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 10:46:28 PM »
Winter in the FSU is awesome if you like to be the only "tourist" you see.

Yeah you will be so busy with getting your frozen ass from one place to another quickly that you will not notice any others :)

Offline DKMM

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2007, 12:13:48 AM »
I found it to be remarkably mild in December but i guess that was a freak occurance when compared to say 1941.

Offline batman

• In Love Again
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2007, 05:17:40 AM »
Thanks 2tall and DKMM,

I'm learning Russian now. I found a site which teaches for free. They have a couple of voice audio files for each word/phrase. If anyone is interested it's:

http://listen2russian.com/menu/index.html

I spent 5 hours on it last night LOL. It's funny how some of the most common words like Hello (formal)  and How are you going (kak vweh pa-zhi-vA-ye-tye?) are some of the hardest to get my mouth around. I knew I'd have to learn to roll my tongue some day   :crackthewhip:

Has anyone used this website before? Any better ones and language products?
In Love Again

Offline Vaughn

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2007, 05:35:30 AM »
I learned what I know the old-fashoned way years ago, but
Batman, let me congratulate you on your decision to learn.
The more you can absorb, the richer will be your first FSU
experience....

That site, BTW, is listed in RWD's Wiki section. It's very useful.
General phrase books, at this point, will be valuable. Build your
vocabulary....

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541475
Total Topics: 20864